Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I just make my own from the jars of whole spices I already have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

How bad is vinaigrette for you? I've been in love with a recipe and been churning the stuff out, and eating a heap of fresh salad as a result (which is a win!). The recipe is:

- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of vinegar (I use apple cider)
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 clove of garlic
- whatever herbs you feel like

I usually make 12 tbsp of olive oil to 3 tbsp of cider vinegar (it's not as tangy and I prefer it). I usually drizzle 4 or 5 tbsps over a bigass bowl of salad. Am I eating way too much olive oil this way or does it not really matter?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

It’s not bad for you, vinaigrette is fine.

I guess if you’re worried, it’s better to toss your leaves in the vinaigrette rather than drizzling, you get a better coating and probably use a bit less to get the same flavour.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I wouldn't say it's bad for you but you could be eating about 500 calories worth of olive oil in one sitting, if that's what you're worried about

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It’s probably better for you than not eating leafy greens.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Vinaigrette will literally kill you. I suggest switching to ranch dressing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Due to the weather I ended up with a good two handfuls of still green tomatoes, ranging from grape sized to fully grown. What do I do with those?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

My Lovely Horse posted:

Due to the weather I ended up with a good two handfuls of still green tomatoes, ranging from grape sized to fully grown. What do I do with those?

Pickle them! Small ones are like capers, slice the big ones for sandwiches.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

BrianBoitano posted:

Coconut milk + star anise + cinnamon + cardamom, + optional diced dates

effika posted:

Peanut butter is delicious. I add chocolate chips in sometimes too for a no-bake cookie taste.

Craisins and vanilla, strawberries and coconut flakes, apples and cinnamon.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Turmeric, black pepper, chopped dates, and maple syrup.

Green onions, miso.

Green onions, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, shiitake mushrooms, chili oil.

Thanks! I now have many ideas and will try them out.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I want to buy some canele molds for a friend of mine, does anyone have any recommendations for brands or a specific version?

I saw copper ones are generally the best and I don't mind spending money on good quality ones. Any other info would be appreciated.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Does anyone have a favorite spaghetti squash recipe? Gonna try cooking it for the first time. I'd like it to be a nice riff on spaghetti bolognese or just a good tomato sauce. Any tips?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

1 spaghetti squash
1 garbage can

Put former into latter. Order takeout.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Casu Marzu posted:

1 spaghetti squash
1 garbage can

Put former into latter. Order takeout.

I'm just trying to eat more veggies and gourds :(

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

Does anyone have a favorite spaghetti squash recipe? Gonna try cooking it for the first time. I'd like it to be a nice riff on spaghetti bolognese or just a good tomato sauce. Any tips?

My best tip on spaghetti squash is to never treat it like pasta. It will disappoint you every time. It'll either be too mushy or too stringy to scratch that pasta itch.

Instead grab a muffin tin and make nests with it, then put your favorite toppings on it. I'm still trying to come up with the "perfect" way to prep the squash, but here's my best result thus far:

-Preheat oven to 375
-Cut squash lengthwise and gut the seeds
-Place face down on a parchment lined cookie sheet
-Bake for ~30 mintes (a little longer for a bigger squash, shorter for a smaller - you'll have to trial and error this one)
-Remove, let cool for 10 minutes, then use a fork to shred out the strings
-Make sure it's well shredded, (long strings are ok and desirable. "clumps" aren't.)

To make the nests:

- Combine Squash and one large egg in a large mixing bowl and stir until well combined, but not pulverizing the squash.
- Use a scoop top divide it equally into 12 well greased muffin tins (olive oil) - (I've actually started using a soft silicon muffin "tin" for this, since you can just pop them right out at the end)
- Use your thumb, or a spoon to make a shallow well in each of the nests
- Bake at 375 for 25 minutes, or until they get golden
- Turn them out and put a spoonful or two of whatever toppings you want on them

The goal here is to get them to be a little crispy around the edges.

So far I've done:
- Pizza (chunky italian vegetable and herb sauce, chopped pepperoni, and some mozz)
- Meatballs (marinara and a meatball)
- Sesame Chicken (Some cooked, chopped chicken breast, scallions, low-sodium teriyaki, and sesame seeds)

We've tried topping them and popping them back in the oven for 10 minutes, and I've been generally pleased with the results.

I assume you might be able to fashion a pizza crust from it as well, if you made this, then patted it out flat on some parchment and baked it first. Sort of like cauliflower crust, but I imagine it'd hold together better. If you decide to do this, let me know how it went.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'm just trying to eat more veggies and gourds :(

There's a lot of great hard squashes. Spaghetti squash is not one.

I really like stir frying or braising delicata or kabocha Japanese style.

Hard squash is also great as a curry.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Delicata squash and other "thin" skinned varieties of squash have ruined me. I ended up with a pair of acorn squashes recently and how much labor it took to prep vs delicata put me off of wanting to make the rest of the meal I had in mind and I ended up just making roast squash soup.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Weltlich posted:

I assume you might be able to fashion a pizza crust from it as well, if you made this, then patted it out flat on some parchment and baked it first. Sort of like cauliflower crust, but I imagine it'd hold together better. If you decide to do this, let me know how it went.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

Also, gonna make chicken cheese chilli mac, because I am craving that poo poo. Except the mac will be squash.

Gonna prove y'all wrong and make this delicious!

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Weltlich posted:

My best tip on spaghetti squash is to never treat it like pasta. It will disappoint you every time. It'll either be too mushy or too stringy to scratch that pasta itch.

Instead grab a muffin tin and make nests with it, then put your favorite toppings on it. I'm still trying to come up with the "perfect" way to prep the squash, but here's my best result thus far:

I have a spaghetti squash that I don't know what to do with, and this sounds like a lot of fun. Thanks!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Suspect Bucket posted:

chicken cheese

:yeah:

I can't find the thread, somebody link to the needful

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

BrianBoitano posted:

:yeah:

I can't find the thread, somebody link to the needful

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3498320

Best Thread.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
All the chicken breast in the grocery stores has those white stripes and the meat is tough. I've stopped buying chicken breast but my stubborn wife keeps buying it. It's not real bad, but the stripes are there and it's just unpleasant to eat. It's all the brands in all the stores. Is there anything I can do with it? Because I suspect my wife doesn't really believe in woody chicken and will continue buying it.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It sounds like it'd be difficult to detect in anything where the chunks are small and in sauce, like chicken makhani

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

wormil posted:

All the chicken breast in the grocery stores has those white stripes and the meat is tough. I've stopped buying chicken breast but my stubborn wife keeps buying it. It's not real bad, but the stripes are there and it's just unpleasant to eat. It's all the brands in all the stores. Is there anything I can do with it? Because I suspect my wife doesn't really believe in woody chicken and will continue buying it.

Sousvide a couple hours at 145F with seasonings of your choosing then slice thin and top salad, rice bowls, etc.

I did some with some sesame oil, ginger, lime juice, fish sauce and sambal olek for a couple hours and it's a nice flavor combo for low quality chicken when it shows up. Works great for whole bone in-breast too then crisp it on the grill, if you do that remove 2/3 of the cooking liquid and add in a little honey, mix in the bag then grill. Puts a little more light crisp / char on it and the sweet works well with the lime and heat from the sambal.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Buy a while bird and chop it up. Maybe your wife will notice a non woody breast too

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ah, chickencheese ain't got time for space bars

Thank you. I had a bad day but now it's better :unsmith:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Doccers will forever hold a special place in my heart.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
GOD loving drat IT I AM COVERED IN MUSTARD

WHO BALANCES UNCOVERED MUSTARD POTS ON UNSTABLE TUPPERWARE LEFTOVER PYRAMIDS LIKE A GOD drat MAD MAN

(my mother, that's who)

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

There are Japanese businessmen that will pay top $$ for photos of y our mustardized bod

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Weltlich posted:

Well, I'll give you how I generally make it, and you can modify it as you see fit. It's a very flexible stew, and I generally never make it the same way twice, because I end up using what I've got on hand and what's on sale instead of going with a static recipe. (So in theory, you can swap things out for lo-cal stuff.) The most problematic thing for you is going to be the roux, since that is literally flour toasted in oil - but along with the okra it's essential to making the gravy-like broth/sauce that is a hallmark of gumbo. A little goes a long way though.

5 qt Dutch Oven or large pot with a lid
1 whisk
1 Big wooden spoon

1/4 cup avacado oil*
1/4 cup flour

1 large yellow onion, chopped fine
5 stalks celery, chopped fine
2 bell peppers, chopped fine

1 lb okra (get it in the freezer aisle, already chopped)

1 lb seafood (usually shrimp, but I've lobster, or a whitefish like pollock, catfish, and haddock, cut into ~1 inch cubes)
1 lb chicken breast, boneless-skinless, and cubed into 1" pieces
1 lb sausage (Andouille is traditional, but if you find a lean smoked sausage, that works too)

1 small can of tomato paste
5 medium sized Roma tomatoes, chopped into 1/2" cubes (optional)

3 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper (If you don't have this don't worry, just sub in a little more black pepper)
1 tsp thyme
1 Tbs of minced garlic (Three cloves, minced, if you have it fresh and don't want to measure)
Salt to taste

6 cups of low sodium chicken broth or stock

File Powder (if you can find it)

1) Get all food prepped and chopped ahead of time. This is sort of like a stir-fry in the beginning, and you won't have time to keep prepping food once you start cooking.

2) In the pot, over medium heat, whisk together the oil and flour to form the roux. NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS - KEEP WHISKING! This will take several minutes, but under no circumstances stop whisking. Slowly, the flour will begin to toast, and when it looks like peanut butter, it's time to move on. (Also of note: Under no circumstances, get water into the roux at this stage - they call it "cajun napalm" for a reason.)

3) Add the trinity of onion, celery and pepper straight into the rough and start to stir it with a wooden spoon. You want to keep stirring until it's well incorporated and the onion pieces just start to clarify.

4) Add the meat, and keep stirring until it's browned a little. Traditionally gumbo has "fish, foul, and field" - a seafood, a poultry, and either sausage or pork. It's up to you what you want to add, though. Like I said, it's a flexible recipe.

5) Add the okra. If it's frozen, that's ok just stir until it's thawed.

6) Stir in the tomato paste and the optional chopped tomatoes until they're well incorporated.

7) Stir in the spices.

8) Add a little (1 cup) of the broth and use the spoon to deglaze the bottom of the pot.

9) Once all the good stuff is scraped off, pour the rest of the broth into the pot and stir until the gumbo is well incorporated.

10) Bring it to a boil, then turn down the heat to a low simmer and cover. Let it simmer for at least an hour, up to two, and then cut the heat.

11) If you have File powder, you may add it a teaspoon at a time while stirring the gumbo until it thickens to your preferred consistency

A note - If you want to use less roux, you can use more okra and get a thicker sauce in the end. You can use more File powder as well, but I generally prefer the flavor of the okra to the powder.

*Traditionally this is lard or vegetable oil, but I started using avacado oil because the current studies say it's a little healthier.

So, I made this tonight.

Family enjoyed it (as did I, natch), and next time I gotta make sure I add a bit of cayenne pepper to it, it was mild for even my parent's taste.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Smoke guns, yay, nay or only if you hate money?

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Klaus Kinski posted:

Smoke guns, yay, nay or only if you hate money?

If you're a hardcore food nerd hobbyist you might use it more than once. Probably more practical for cocktails than food, especially since you can probably get an actual smoker for less than a gun this time of year.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

So, I made this tonight.

Family enjoyed it (as did I, natch), and next time I gotta make sure I add a bit of cayenne pepper to it, it was mild for even my parent's taste.

Yeah, I left that out because you weren't sure about their spice levels. If you want to do it spicier, but without the cayenne, I'd suggest cutting in some hot peppers into the mix. I like scotch bonnets, but I've used jalapeño and habanero before as well.

Cayenne is easy, available, and easily stored, so I've used it plenty of times as well.

That looks delicious, though!

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Qubee posted:

I usually make 12 tbsp of olive oil to 3 tbsp of cider vinegar (it's not as tangy and I prefer it). I usually drizzle 4 or 5 tbsps over a bigass bowl of salad. Am I eating way too much olive oil this way or does it not really matter?

The rest of the ingredients are nutritionally null, but one tablespoon of olive oil is 25% of your daily recommended fat intake, so do with that information what you will. If weight or cholesterol is not an issue for you, I'd say don't sweat it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
That's also just shy of 500 calories worth of oil in the dressing on your salad alone.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

My wife and I are having our first child in November, and we've heard it might be a good idea to freeze some meals in advance so when we come home from the hospital we have some things to heat up without thinking too much.

I have some ideas of what we can do, but I'm sick of googling and seeing ideas on Pinterest where the recipes don't look too great, so I'm looking for recipes that I can freeze.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

Mac and cheese
Chicken (or vegetarian) tortilla soup
Green Turkey and white bean chili
Normal chili with ground beef or stew meat

Anyone have decent recipes for the above? Or other suggestions that would work?

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

nwin posted:

My wife and I are having our first child in November, and we've heard it might be a good idea to freeze some meals in advance so when we come home from the hospital we have some things to heat up without thinking too much.

I have some ideas of what we can do, but I'm sick of googling and seeing ideas on Pinterest where the recipes don't look too great, so I'm looking for recipes that I can freeze.

Mac and cheese

Enchiladas and empanadas/beef patties freeze well, as do breakfast burritos (cook eggs a littler drier than you’d like and let all ingredients cool thoroughly before assembling to minimize “sogginess” in the finished product)

Lasagna/manicotti/stuffed shells

Marinaras or meat sauces freeze well, portioned into ziplocks and frozen flat they also defrost quickly, so you’re down to boiling water for pasta in terms of prep

Homemade granola bars don’t freeze but can be shelf-stable for weeks depending on your ingredients and are easy to eat one-handed

After my baby we ate mostly sandwiches and things people brought over for the first couple of weeks- sleep deprivation and a baby that will only sleep being held turns time into a meaningless smear, and a turkey sandwich is pretty much all I had the energy for for a while.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, my trashy roommate finally moved out, and I got to unbox my new Kitchenaid Pro mixer (this model) that I'd bought months ago. I hadn't wanted to use it with the roommate around because he had a bad habit of using poo poo without permission and leaving it a wreck.

Anyway, I figured I'd break it in with a nice simple loaf of bread.

I followed the recipe here:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/basic-homemade-bread/

I combined the ingredients in the mixers bowl, mixed them by hand for a second and then attached the mixing attachment with the rubber bowl scraper.

Once the dough was cohesive, I went to go attach the bread hook, when I discovered numerous streaks of weird... grey... in the dough.

I inspected the mixing attachment as well as the mixing bowl, but didn't see any scratches or scrape marks that might indicate the grey stuff was metal dust or something.

I went ahead and ran the dough hook, kneading for 6 minutes. As I was transferring the dough to a greased bowl to rise, I discovered that the grey stuff had formed lumpy spots in the dough.

Any ideas what it could be? Should I throw out the dough? Could it be something with the mixer?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Mac and cheese

Pulled Pork
Burnt Ends
Omlettes (Seriosly, make and omlette, freeze it, then it microwaves back to life)
"Soup Kits" Basically all the meats/vegetables you'd need to make a soup. Then the day of just put them into a soup pot, slow cooker, or instapot with some stock.

Also: Make pickled eggs. It's easy, you don't need a pressure canner, and a fast source of protein will be a good snack when you've had no sleep and don't want to even heat things in a microwave.

Annath posted:

So, my trashy roommate finally moved out, and I got to unbox my new Kitchenaid Pro mixer (this model) that I'd bought months ago. I hadn't wanted to use it with the roommate around because he had a bad habit of using poo poo without permission and leaving it a wreck.

Anyway, I figured I'd break it in with a nice simple loaf of bread.

I followed the recipe here:

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/basic-homemade-bread/

I combined the ingredients in the mixers bowl, mixed them by hand for a second and then attached the mixing attachment with the rubber bowl scraper.

Once the dough was cohesive, I went to go attach the bread hook, when I discovered numerous streaks of weird... grey... in the dough.

I inspected the mixing attachment as well as the mixing bowl, but didn't see any scratches or scrape marks that might indicate the grey stuff was metal dust or something.

I went ahead and ran the dough hook, kneading for 6 minutes. As I was transferring the dough to a greased bowl to rise, I discovered that the grey stuff had formed lumpy spots in the dough.

Any ideas what it could be? Should I throw out the dough? Could it be something with the mixer?

Toss it.

It's excess lubricant. New Kitchenaids are notorious for leaking some when they're moved around and "tipped" off of their normal level resting state. You'll need to give it a sponge bath, and a good wipe down with paper towels. After that it should be ready to rock.

It might happen again, it might not.

Here's a link about it: https://producthelp.kitchenaid.com/Countertop_Appliances/Stand_Mixers/Stand_Mixer_Cleaning_and_Care/Oil_Leaking_From_Stand_Mixer

Apparently it is also an issue after prolonged periods of not using the mixer, like waiting on a slob roommate to pound sand. Nothing to freak out about, but that dough needs to get dumped, unfortunately.

Weltlich fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 6, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

nwin posted:

Mac and cheese

Red beans, gumbo. Both freeze well, filling, just make rice, add. Check the cajun thread for recipes.

I also make huge batches of saag if you want more greens and add either chickpeas or chicken to it with rice after thawing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Freezing things is fine, we had a kid last year and “I was too tired to use the microwave” is either a disaster scenario or an exaggeration.

Stuff like DoorDash / Uber Eats are nice because you won’t want to go to the hassle of going out for dinner and dragging the baby along.