Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

I'd recommend a second level of Sorcerer over the Paladin level. It nets you one more level of casting, which is super handy and way more interesting later on. I'd also recommend Eldritch Knight for the last levels. Eldritch Knight to 7 and stopping Dragon Disciple at 8 would also be a good idea. The last two levels of Dragon Disciple are super bad. You lose out on the 4th attack per round and a level of spellcasting progression and gain wings. In a game without flying. Yay. Plus if you're Aasimar, you can get wings from feats I think. If you grab the level of Sorcerer and stop Disciple at 8, you get to cast 7th level instead of stopping at 6th, and you get access to higher level spells 2 levels earlier in the mid game, plus increasing the duration of buffs so you don't have to recast them as often, in a game that really disincentives resting.
Cool, thanks. But now I have to start over with agonizing like a moron about a freaking character build in a game. :v:

Also wings are cool. I could become some kind of four winged freak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
My dumbass bard-barian is the best and the coolest and no one can take that away from me

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

corn in the bible posted:

My dumbass bard-barian is the best and the coolest and no one can take that away from me

There's a 3.5 prestige class out there for bardarians that is all about shouting, which just makes sense to me.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Their music is all the rage these days.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
The wild and wooly bigass number munchkin oeuvre of pathfinder really gives me the bends as applied to bandits and trolls

It's not a complaint about the game it's just weird seeing ac and bab numbers my head associates with fighting demigods and liches while killing some morons in leather jerkins who live in a cave

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Cynic Jester posted:

I'd recommend a second level of Sorcerer over the Paladin level. It nets you one more level of casting, which is super handy and way more interesting later on. I'd also recommend Eldritch Knight for the last levels. Eldritch Knight to 7 and stopping Dragon Disciple at 8 would also be a good idea. The last two levels of Dragon Disciple are super bad. You lose out on the 4th attack per round and a level of spellcasting progression and gain wings. In a game without flying. Yay. Plus if you're Aasimar, you can get wings from feats I think. If you grab the level of Sorcerer and stop Disciple at 8, you get to cast 7th level instead of stopping at 6th, and you get access to higher level spells 2 levels earlier in the mid game, plus increasing the duration of buffs so you don't have to recast them as often, in a game that really disincentives resting.

Dragonangel Ball Z does sound like a pretty fun build, though I kind of want to cut the paladin out entirely

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Randbrick posted:

The wild and wooly bigass number munchkin oeuvre of pathfinder really gives me the bends as applied to bandits and trolls

It's not a complaint about the game it's just weird seeing ac and bab numbers my head associates with fighting demigods and liches while killing some morons in leather jerkins who live in a cave
I wonder what their version of Mask of The Betrayer would be. Three digit AC?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Randbrick posted:

Have you met the named Will o the Wisp yet? You'll enjoy it.

Level 2 area. +12 dex modifier. Weapon Finesse. Casts shield to stop magic missiles. If it wasn't for it doing a damage type that you can easily resist, I'd have tossed my monitor out the window waiting for 20s and slowly chipping it down with bombs.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

Blockhouse posted:

Dragonangel Ball Z does sound like a pretty fun build, though I kind of want to cut the paladin out entirely

The issue is that Paladin is totally busted on any character with lots of Charisma. The build loses a lot of defensive power if you drop it. Plus being angel hitler with a literal halo never gets old.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

That movement speed mod is a loving lifechanger, makes everything better

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Say what you will about how buggy and stable this game is, but atleast it didn't freeze during the opening cutscene, like Assassin's Creed Odyssey just did for me.

e: Movement speed mod does sound like something I should check out when I return to the game, hopefully it'll be v1.1 by then.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Had to stop playing when I ran into my fifth or so quest I could not finish or start properly.

Waiting to see what coming patches brings, while playing around with new classes and combos.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

JamMasterJim posted:

Wouldn't it be easier to just start Neutral Good? It works for both.

Oh motherfucker. I assumed it was only the Lawful/True/Chaotic Neutral that worked.

Well yeah then, it Robin Hood time. Time to make cults and friends, and cult friends.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Rookersh posted:

Oh motherfucker. I assumed it was only the Lawful/True/Chaotic Neutral that worked.

Well yeah then, it Robin Hood time. Time to make cults and friends, and cult friends.

I made friends with a cult, even though they specialize in freak babies, they gave me beast eyes instead.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Hey here's a workaround for those of you crashing out in 1.04 while going through a portal in chapter 4:

if you wait at the loading screen for 20-30 minutes it will eventually load in!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Well, I seem to have just spent one and a half hours learning what the difficulty options do and making my character. :shepface:

Eventually I'll figure out what Spell Focus I want my Sorcerer to have.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Valerie, telling lies again
A very powerful inclusion in a game that uses a system that was developed partially out of a reflexive hostility to tanking mechanics in D&D.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I definitely miss engagement from PoE in this. Edder having a bit of stickiness was nice.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gorelab posted:

I definitely miss engagement from PoE in this. Edder having a bit of stickiness was nice.

There are so many things I miss from Pillars in this game. Speeding up movement, the use of stealth, the way spells work more often than not. Not missing every other hit and just swinging wildly for ages.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
So what is the current state of the game - what is exactly broken, and how much of an impact does said broken-bits have?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

evilmiera posted:

There are so many things I miss from Pillars in this game. Speeding up movement, the use of stealth, the way spells work more often than not. Not missing every other hit and just swinging wildly for ages.

Use the movement speed mod it's hella tight

Iymarra posted:

So what is the current state of the game - what is exactly broken, and how much of an impact does said broken-bits have?

it's broke as gently caress until the end of act 3 where it becomes even more broke than gently caress. also, it's game of the year

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Use the movement speed mod it's hella tight

This one?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Iymarra posted:

As the poster above said, it is broken in many ways, but chapter 3 is unplayable in some parts. I'm not exaggerating when I say that either, as I mentioned before there are now about 4-5 quests I just can't finish because they are broken, with several kingdom features glitched out as well. Not to mention the number of bugs involving the throne room, the main map, and many others.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Yeah

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Events that pop up at the end of the month and expire the next day are the dumbest thing.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The fix for those end of month events is to try to keep someone in reserve to handle them. This usually means foregoing at least one opportunity. You generally want to address all problems but be selective with opportunities.

Re bugs: I think a lot of the bugginess in the game is to do with poorly managed sequencing. This playthrough, I’ve missed out on one advisor because his laboratory spawned an out of sequence map. You’re supposed to visit him 4 times; (1) before an event; (2) after a second, random event; (3) after a third event and (4) after you finish the chapter all these events take place in. However, if the third event happens before your second visit, which can happen easily because you might not trigger the random event until after the third event, the second map spawns after the third one and you never get the 4th map.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Beefeater1980 posted:

The fix for those end of month events is to try to keep someone in reserve to handle them. This usually means foregoing at least one opportunity. You generally want to address all problems but be selective with opportunities.

Re bugs: I think a lot of the bugginess in the game is to do with poorly managed sequencing. This playthrough, I’ve missed out on one advisor because his laboratory spawned an out of sequence map. You’re supposed to visit him 4 times; (1) before an event; (2) after a second, random event; (3) after a third event and (4) after you finish the chapter all these events take place in. However, if the third event happens before your second visit, which can happen easily because you might not trigger the random event until after the third event, the second map spawns after the third one and you never get the 4th map.

That assumes that you even get a chance to see it because you're not out adventuring. It's just an insanely dumb gotcha.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Gorelab posted:

That assumes that you even get a chance to see it because you're not out adventuring. It's just an insanely dumb gotcha.

Absolute truth here.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Can you not handle those events if you're out adventuring? I noticed the kingdom button disappeared when I strayed from my capital, but I haven't built any more settlements yet.

It'd be nice if the regent did some regency.

Mordecai fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Oct 5, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Mordecai posted:

Can you not handle those events if you're out adventuring? I noticed the kingdom button disappeared when I strayed from my capital, but I haven't built any more settlements yet.

It'd be nice if the regent did some regency.

Visitors to the capitol will only speak with you. You can certainly check to see if people are there using the kingdom button and then head on back, but it's not available when you're far away.

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
https://mobile.twitter.com/davidgaider/status/1047945473393274880

:thunk:

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

A dazzling simile

He ain't wrong. But this coming from DA2vid Gaider is hilarious.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Funso Banjo posted:

No one played with resting? Seriously? That's like such a core rule. You had some odd groups.

As in the "You're exhausted, GO REST" rather than the general rest rule.

evilmiera posted:

Even on Story you miss so loving much, maybe 40% of all attacks are misses.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I noticed that when I set the boss fight with Tartuk and the Troll to story mode because I kinda wandered into them without saving, that Tartuk still had 30 AC on story mode which seems a bit silly for a caster.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gorelab posted:

I noticed that when I set the boss fight with Tartuk and the Troll to story mode because I kinda wandered into them without saving, that Tartuk still had 30 AC on story mode which seems a bit silly for a caster.

He has both magic armor AND shield cast. You can dispel it I suppose, or destroy him with area effects that he can't dodge--I just had Octavia blow him away with lightning rays

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

He has both magic armor AND shield cast. You can dispel it I suppose, or destroy him with area effects that he can't dodge--I just had Octavia blow him away with lightning rays

That's a +4 though, unless it's serious magic armor like serious serious that's still a bit silly. Now I'm fighting a paladin where I can only use Valerie and it's just both of them missing except a natural 20.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Gorelab posted:

That's a +4 though, unless it's serious magic armor like serious serious that's still a bit silly. Now I'm fighting a paladin where I can only use Valerie and it's just both of them missing except a natural 20.

You're supposed to lose that duel, because railroaded losses for the sake of plot are fun apparently!

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm more curious why this is a fight rather than a book event because it's taking a seriously long time her to die.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Nothingtoseehere posted:

You're supposed to lose that duel, because railroaded losses for the sake of plot are fun apparently!

You can win, but it only changes dialogue a bit.
It's a bit easier if you give her all the steroids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Man they're really rolling out the patches. So much better than what usually happens. :toot:

hotfix 1.0.5 posted:

Hideous Laughter requires target intelligence to be higher than 2 for you to be able to cast it. This, combined with penalties for Weak Enemies (default setting for enemy difficulty on Easy Mode and Story Mode), lead to the case that some enemies in this weakened state are too dumb to get the jokes. Resolution: fixed, the Hideous Laughter now takes only the base intelligence of the target into account.
:saddowns: :roflolmao: :saddowns: