Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Your recruiter will administer an APFT and the results will go in your board packet. If you don't pass then your recruiter will probably tell you to go work on your fitness for a few months because there's absolutely no reason for him to bring a packet forward with a guy that can't pass the APFT.

If all this sounds stupid or arbitrary, the Army is not for you. I'm not joking.

iKon fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
It doesn't sound stupid or arbitrary, I just figured that I would be meeting those standards after basic training anyway. I don't intend to avoid the physical aspect of the military, I was just hoping to get in as quickly as possible and then begin that sort of work.

But alright, I'll start hitting the gym so-to-speak.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I will also say this: the Army is not for smart people. If you still decide to put a packet in, so be it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Hi, I'm a civilian interested in Officer Candidate School.

I was told by my recruiters that it was necessary for me to pass the Army Physical Fitness Test, scoring a 60% (40 push-ups, 50 sit-ups, and around a 16 minute 2-mile run) before I could even see the OCS Board and begin basic training as a soldier.

This sounded strange to me, so I've been trying to find more information on this (really, somewhere that specifically lays out these requirements... at the time my recruiter wrote them down on a piece of paper) and what I was able to find according to this page is that taking the APFT is a requirement for current soldiers who are aiming to be officers, but not civilians.

Does anyone here know more about this?

Have you considered not joining the Army?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You know I'm gonna say one last thing to dissuade you since I don't feel like rehashing my story, or McNally's story for that matter. If you listen to anybody in this thread, listen to McNally. He got a deep dicking that's still being fixed at the congressional level.

If you really want to join, do this for the next two weeks:

1. Wake up at 4:30, put on short shorts and a t-shirt and go wait outside in the cold for an hour
2. Jog around a little bit and pretend you're exercising until 7:30
3. In the next twenty minutes: go to the worst motel room you can rent, shower, eat, and punch yourself in the dick
4. Dig a ditch from 10-12
5. Sit and do literally nothing until 4:00 PM
6. At 4, post in here asking if you can go home yet. We'll say "maybe"
7. At 7 PM, actually go home
8. Drink entire fifth of vodka
9. Punch yourself in the dick again
10. Sleep

Then ask yourself if you want to do that for at least three years.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
That's pretty accurate from full time to national guard. Lots of nothing, somehow daily activities get bottlenecked because leaders have to design tomorrow bullshit before they can form you up to tell you about the stuff you probably won't get done tomorrow anyway.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
When you go before your OCS Board they will absolutely look at your APFT score and if you're scoring the minimums they will probably give that slot to someone else or just hold onto it. I got a 298 on mine and they asked me why I didn't have a 300.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Have you thought about what branch you want to compete for? What postings are currently competitive for that branch? ADSOs or temporary branch assignments? Are you talking to an OCS recruiter, or is it just a regular recruiter who's going to grift you into enlisting with a degree?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Additionally, have someone be your immediate superior who tells you you're an empowered leader, you need to make decisions and they can't micro-manage or hold your hand. They will, every time you make a decision, tell you you're wrong and berate you for not consulting them. They will micromanage you. After being "counseled" call six friends who thought they were on their time and tell them to be on your position NOW for tasking. Your superior will tell you "it's being worked out" and to "stand by" any time you ask. Sit around doing nothing for hours until your boss, that evening, asks you "what the gently caress are you still doing here?" and yells at you for wasting your people's time when they could be with their families

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
If your goal is to simply pass the test minimums by the time you finish basic, just enlist.*

OCS is not for people who cannot already pass with a decent score.

*don’t actually do this.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vasudus posted:

The concept in corporate world is called <checks notes> "Work-Life Balance". You see, plenty of good companies actually give a poo poo about their workers enough that they don't have to be ramming their dicks up your rear end about it 24/7. So things like "I don't like the traffic here so I come early and leave early", "I have the plumber coming sometime on Thursday so I'm working from home", "I can't work late at all because my babysitter is only there until 5" are not only acceptable, they're so mundane that it hardly gets any attention.

I had a coworker that lived literally a block away from work still telework every Friday. Nobody cared.

My previous program manager moved to the midwest for three years, flying in once a month for three days. Nobody cared.

One of the women on my account has six kids and can never work late. Nobody cares.

I've called in to meetings after I said I would be there in-person for because I didn't want to bother getting on a suit for an hour. Nobody cared.

Any company worth a drat will tell you all sorts of stories of this exact type if you ask about work-life balance and vehemently defend themselves about it. A bad company will either dismiss the concept entirely or give a bullshit cop-out answer. If work-life balance is a thing you care about, there's plenty of places out there. Don't care about it? then you're in luck, because there's even more companies that are more than happy to grind you into dust for no return.

I've been substitute teaching for while now and it still blows my mind how easy it is to just ask to leave work 30 minutes early if you want to catch a ballgame (or something similar), or just leave for half a day to handle something.

It's still kinda shocking to have an administrator be like: "Sure, no problem." about whatever I ask for.

Also, go be teachers you guys. Once I'm certified I'll only be working 187 days out of the year, but paid a salary with benefits and retirement. I'm also pulling into the parking lot on work days at 0730 and on my way home by 3.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

EBB posted:

I will also say this: the Army is not for smart people. If you still decide to put a packet in, so be it.
Well, you know what they say. There are only two kinds of soldiers in the Army: smart soldiers and strong soldiers.

Also, dude who is asking about the PT test: the APFT is not hard. If you're in reasonable shape, or anywhere reasonably close to being considered "in shape", then you should be able to prep for this and knock out a decent score without too much trouble. The thing that kills people on pushups and situps is sloppy form; if you practice doing them correctly each and every time, you will do fine. Do pushups and situps throughout the day. The thing that kills people on the run is... well, running. Run more. The PT test isn't hard, you just have to have enough Heart™.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

This guy realizes that officer training anywhere is competitive, right? You need to be presenting your best self from the start because they're looking for excuses to cut you from consideration. It's not like enlisting where they'll take just about anyone.

Soxorz
Aug 15, 2002
I sleep with the fishes
I'm in the IRR and just got offered a AGR spot and need someone to tell me I'm dumb for considering it. When I was in I was a flight slot which was awesome I just hated living in the barracks/having the Army tell me where I had to live. The slot is in a area that I would want to live and looks like I would be doing admin stuff and getting on flights every once in awhile. Does anyone know what the process of going into a AGR slot entails? Is there a chance that I sign up for it and then they gently caress me and I don't have the slot?

I've already got job offers that would give me about the same money but only doing 2 24 hour shifts a week... but helicopters below 100ft is always fun.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

cool go ahead an go back to active when we are about to go to war with:

-north korea
-china
-russia
-Venezuela

mattis will be fired after the midterm. its going to be a purge. he’ll shove john bolton into secdef

then the real fun starts

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah the midterm axing will be apocalyptic in comparison to so far

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Hey, remember:

How you had to have a doctor's note for staying home with the flu? Or for not being able to do push-ups for a couple of days?

Having to get a signed permission slip from your boss's boss to go someplace moderately far away on a weekend?

Picking up tiny pieces of trash by hand, instead of going home, when there's no work to be done?

Endlessly emptying and filling connexes because someone can't find a $20 piece of equipment that you've had on the books since 1953?

Bring yelled at like a literal child for having dusty shoes?

Reading things written by people that have never cracked a book?

Having half of your monthly salary taken away and working forced overtime because you looked at someone funny?

Being on call 24/7/365?

The "top 10%" rating scheme?

Monthly performance reviews, despite every day being Groundhog Day?

Red Excel blocks?

PowerPoint anything?

The mish-mash of partially conceived, poorly executed systems that you are required to use to actually do anything?

Waiting for permission to go home well after the sun goes down?

Being wholy owned like an indentured servant?

Being entirely unable, by threat of prison time, to quit your job?

Me either, let's go lease our souls for the potential to go on helicopter rides once or twice a month. If there's room, and the weather is good, and it didn't somehow break sitting on the flight line.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Jesus christ that was too real. Quit it. I got anxiety reading that.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
being unable to go home because first sergeant is getting a divorce

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Dude, please come back and say something. Even if it's just to say "tldr gently caress you guys".

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Suntan Boy posted:

Hey, remember:

How you had to have a doctor's note for staying home with the flu? Or for not being able to do push-ups for a couple of days?

Having to get a signed permission slip from your boss's boss to go someplace moderately far away on a weekend?

Picking up tiny pieces of trash by hand, instead of going home, when there's no work to be done?

Endlessly emptying and filling connexes because someone can't find a $20 piece of equipment that you've had on the books since 1953?

Bring yelled at like a literal child for having dusty shoes?

Reading things written by people that have never cracked a book?

Having half of your monthly salary taken away and working forced overtime because you looked at someone funny?

Monthly performance reviews, despite every day being Groundhog Day?

Waiting for permission to go home well after the sun goes down?

For anyone entertaining the idea of enlisting when they have the opportunity to get a commission, none of the above really applies to officers and being an officer in the Army can still frequently suck balls, which tells you how much more awful it is being enlisted.

For the last point, I don't wait around for someone to tell me when I can go home but I have so much poo poo to do in a given day that it may as well be the same thing.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

none of the above really applies to officers

Hey bro, come to the puzzle palace. Where O4s are the E4s.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'd rather shoot myself in the head than become a Major

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

I'd rather shoot myself in the head than become a Major

Haha. Why don't you just get out instead.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I've been around Majors a lot as an S4 and those dudes have such an abysmal work life balance, my XO hasn't actually gotten a 4 day weekend in over a year. Emails me at 2100, or 0300 all the time.

I'm torn between hatred at field grades because they're the ones that make my life suck and pity because their lives suck more than mine.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

spacetoaster posted:

Haha. Why don't you just get out instead.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Still need to get my BDE CO's signature after getting back from the field.

Not sure what effect he could possibly have, I completed my commitment to the Army already.

He's apparently extremely combative towards officers getting out though because over half my year group is getting out.

I'd like to see officer retention numbers, BN retention only ever talks about enlisted retention.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Really just depends on your personality. I got injured early in my career and re-branched (more than once!) after a medboard.

I've been doing exactly what I've wanted to do for the last 10 years, or so (drinking/partying across europe and writing policy).

I just had to take the old "what are they going to do? Kick me out?" attitude to heart. Like, that's the worst they can do to me. :lol:

*edit* I could be retired by lunch tomorrow, if I felt like it.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Teacher depends a whole lot, though. My wife as a teacher in South Carolina could be toiling for not much more than 25,000 a year, and live on a razor's edge all the time depending what school district she is in. She noped pretty hard out of it really quickly, opting, by her own free will, to work at a nice restaurant downtown as a waitress, having better hours and roughly double the pay.
Her classmate works at a school in Dorchester County, Or Beaufort, I forgot, and due to budget shortfalls had her pay reduced by two dollars an hour...
...from 16 dollars. Her classroom is like 40 loving kids running around, so it's more of a damage control than anything resembling teaching or pedagogic growth. In addition, the meme about purchasing your own supplies isn't a joke, but a necessity if anything from this millenia is needed in the classroom. The arts teacher was sent packing since she wasn't "necessary".

Kinda like my unicorn awesome experience in the 173rd with 6 hour workdays and constant fourdays is pretty sweet, but doesn't really match up with Mustang's experience, so is teaching in America such A Thing where you might be cozying it up, or getting hosed on the reg from left and right.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 5, 2018

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
For the guy asking about the APFT... it's going away soon, so yeah

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Valhua when are you getting crippled for life on the DZ

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vahakyla posted:

Teacher depends a whole lot, though. My wife as a teacher in South Carolina could be toiling for not much more than 25,000 a year, and live on a razor's edge all the time depending what school district she is in. She noped pretty hard out of it really quickly, opting, by her own free will, to work at a nice restaurant downtown as a waitress, having better hours and roughly double the pay.
Her classmate works at a school in Dorchester County, Or Beaufort, I forgot, and due to budget shortfalls had her pay reduced by two dollars an hour...
...from 16 dollars. Her classroom is like 40 loving kids running around, so it's more of a damage control than anything resembling teaching or pedagogic growth. In addition, the meme about purchasing your own supplies isn't a joke, but a necessity if anything from this millenia is needed in the classroom. The arts teacher was sent packing since she wasn't "necessary".

Kinda like my unicorn awesome experience in the 173rd with 6 hour workdays and constant fourdays is pretty sweet, but doesn't really match up with Mustang's experience, so is teaching in America such A Thing where you might be cozying it up, or getting hosed on the reg from left and right.

That's pretty crappy (the teaching stuff). I'm in a large city and a man wanting to do elementary education (where there are no men. Like, none. 0.)

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Just got confirmation from my chiropractor that my spine is way more hosed up than anyone who is under 30 should be. Wonder what could have caused that. Certainly not jumping out of planes and doing thousands of push-ups in concrete.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
A good idea to ask a real doctor, too. At least every one in SC is a total snake oil salesman.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Vahakyla posted:

A good idea to ask a real doctor, too. At least every one in SC is a total snake oil salesman.

Yeah I don't normally agree with Valhalla but chiropractors are scum.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

As a nurse, I think your back is out due to low spine energy.

I recommend healing crystals, and lavender essential oils 3x a day along with veneshian tarot card analysis.

HMU on the DM if you need any further treatment plans.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Okay yeah, I've read everything here. It sounds horrible.

My life has felt broken down and stuck in a rut since graduation, and every so often I come back to thinking that if I just entered the military, I could get a decent paycheck and feel productive.

I need reminders like this to turn away again. Thanks.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

We provide a very important service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Okay yeah, I've read everything here. It sounds horrible.

My life has felt broken down and stuck in a rut since graduation, and every so often I come back to thinking that if I just entered the military, I could get a decent paycheck and feel productive.

I need reminders like this to turn away again. Thanks.

Being completely honest for a second. If you join the military with a plan to use it for everything it's worth, you can do 4 years and come out waaaay the gently caress ahead.

You could join at 18 into a technical MOS with a clearance. Spend the entire 4 years making friends in that industry, while doing free college/certifications and documenting every single ailment you have.

Then, at 22, get the gently caress out with a college degree (or a lot of it done), submit your VA disability claim, go to a civilian college using the GI Bill to pay for everything, get a pretty awesome government/contractor job. And have VETERAN on you for the rest of your life (if you're american you get treated like royalty).

There's more, but you absolutely have to have a plan (and know what NOT to do).

I have made plans for the kids of two close friends. One of them followed most of the plan but decided she liked being in the army (dumb) and the other makes 6 figures and is a happy as gently caress civilian now(smart).

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 5, 2018