Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

“[I]t is impossible or impracticable for an Internet service provider offering [broadband] to distinguish traffic that moves only within California from traffic that crosses state borders”, the lobby groups' complaint said.

Your employers’ incompetence isn’t a valid defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
if they cant pinpoint traffic how do they know how many gigs i use per month

or in europe how does internet cross country lines

rear end in a top hat lawyer

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
its like they intentionally say dumb poo poo because they know most people dont know how magic computer stuff works

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

Tiler Kiwi posted:

its like they intentionally say dumb poo poo because they know most people dont know how magic computer stuff works

judge, while shoving sack of money under his seat: ill allow it

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

got any sevens posted:

if they cant pinpoint traffic how do they know how many gigs i use per month

The short answer is they can't and the long answer is "gently caress you, pay us"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
remember how Facebook was going to put more effort into blocking and regulating political ads because of concern about RUSSIA? it's going great so far

the root of the problem seems to be that Facebook are flagging any ad which mentions minorities or LGBT in any way as a "civil rights" ad. and they categorize "civil rights" as a political issue, which means that the ads are subject to extra rules and special registration requirements

this means that you can't even run an ad about Taco Tuesday without sending Facebook a photo of your driver's license. not like Facebook has recently had a high-profile leak of user information due to hacker activity, or anything!

https://mobile.twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1047834079633313792

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
DTFacebook

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

facebook gone die cos it thinks anything other than white supremacy is toxic to its chud user base.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Southpaugh posted:

facebook gone die cos it thinks anything other than white supremacy is toxic to its chud user base.

Its right

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005
69 facebook suppress minorities and lgbtq erryday

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

remember how Facebook was going to put more effort into blocking and regulating political ads because of concern about RUSSIA? it's going great so far

the root of the problem seems to be that Facebook are flagging any ad which mentions minorities or LGBT in any way as a "civil rights" ad. and they categorize "civil rights" as a political issue, which means that the ads are subject to extra rules and special registration requirements

this means that you can't even run an ad about Taco Tuesday without sending Facebook a photo of your driver's license. not like Facebook has recently had a high-profile leak of user information due to hacker activity, or anything!

https://mobile.twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1047834079633313792

Lmfao

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Every social media platform is doomed because the metrics they use to sell ad space about user engagement and session time is skewed by the impossibly online old people who have graduated from email forwards to q memes. It's suicide to alienate them because they'll click any loving ad you put in front of them and you need those numbers to maintain profitability in our bullshit nightmare world where every large company is an advertiser.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 29 days!)

SOCIALIZE THE SOCIAL MEDIA

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Bushiz posted:

Every social media platform is doomed because the metrics they use to sell ad space about user engagement and session time is skewed by the impossibly online old people who have graduated from email forwards to q memes. It's suicide to alienate them because they'll click any loving ad you put in front of them and you need those numbers to maintain profitability in our bullshit nightmare world where every large company is an advertiser.

i wonder how much of google and facebook and twitter's ad revenue comes from the 18,000 spyware toolbars that every old person has installed on their windows xp internet explorer

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

can’t wait for the end of Web 2.0 when this revenue model collapses

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

unironically

yes i am presuming from your avatar you mean it that way too

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

Cnidaria posted:

I hope Google brings back Google Reader and just charges a fee or something I don't know

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Cnidaria posted:

It will get replaced with something much worse like that tv you have to yell "I love McDonalds!" at to turn it on. They'll give it some cute name too like "funvertisments". Most people will shrug their shoulders and go along with it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

pushpins posted:

I hope Google brings back Google Reader and just charges a fee or something I don't know

The demise of Google Reader was the beginning of the bad timeline.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

lol we live in hell hahahahaha

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

corbyn pointing to twitter bird - nationalized

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

no blow it up

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/APWestRegion/status/1047632131063726080

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

it is literally unimaginable if you have a soul to be the person giving the dying old genius nearly a million dollars so he can get medical care.... and still take the Nobel Prize.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

dude became 96. i ain't crying for the tragedy

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

we should all be so loving lucky

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Prav posted:

dude became 96. i ain't crying for the tragedy

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the fact that the dude had to sell his nobel prize to afford end-of-life care instead of his family being able to keep it sounds kind of bad imo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

all he sold was a trophy.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/thetomzone/status/1048045299107856384?s=19

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

but can you put it up your butthole?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

but can you put it up your butthole?

I mean honestly, the better question is whether it's good for anything else.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
there was a post by a guy on some forum ages ago how he lived in a late 90s be headset in worlds online or whatever and hadn’t seen his own face in years

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CAROL posted:

there was a post by a guy on some forum ages ago how he lived in a late 90s be headset in worlds online or whatever and hadn’t seen his own face in years

wat

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I think he's alluding to a part of the newest Adam Curtis movie where there was some kind of manifesto about the liberation of virtual reality?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/indiatimes/status/1048128157256175616

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

lol they want off this planet so bad

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

succ posted: