Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Argue posted:

This isn't specifically about the Community comment above, but I've never understood this criticism towards any show. I've heard it levied at Adventure Time, Community, and Lost, among others. What does this even mean? That they keep trying new things, sometimes to success and sometimes to failure? Because I sure don't consider that a flaw, unless they consistently fail, which I don't think is the case for any of those.

I've always took it to mean "pretentious", though like so much of language, what a word means and what a person means to say when they use that word are often very different things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I just preferred the tone the episode set in the first season and early season 2. The gimmick episodes not being constant made them feel special, but when suddenly every episode has some weird gimmick or is an overt parody/homage to something it stops feeling special real quick.

I still enjoyed watching the whole thing but eh. Also agreed re: Abed. Britta was hella Flanderized to poo poo too, but I honestly didn't mind with her b/c Jacobs is hilarious.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Conan says goodbye to his basic cable band. When they switch to the half hour format in January there won't be any band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG3ccQtKGrI

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Mu Zeta posted:

Conan says goodbye to his basic cable band. When they switch to the half hour format in January there won't be any band.

he's had to deal with so much. the loss of the masturbating bear, pimpbot 5000, etc. :(

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Argue posted:

This isn't specifically about the Community comment above, but I've never understood this criticism towards any show. I've heard it levied at Adventure Time, Community, and Lost, among others. What does this even mean? That they keep trying new things, sometimes to success and sometimes to failure? Because I sure don't consider that a flaw, unless they consistently fail, which I don't think is the case for any of those.

I think its less that they "keep trying new things" and more that the tried something new, got praised for it, and now just keep going back to the well for diminishing returns and degradation of its core. Like, if we praise a show for having X and then the show is all "Yeah, I am great, aren't I? MORE X!" it has a good chance to backfire.

Obviously a lot of people just loved the weekly gimmick episodes and really broad characters, so its not gonna ring true for them. For me I just liked the show when it was basically a character ensemble that one foot in reality and one in the absurd. It lost me when it jumped both feet in and the characters got really broad.

I was personally trying to avoid that particular phrase because I didn't want to make it about Harmon or the fanbase or the show's prestige or whatever. I went "lost in the gimmicks" because that's really what I just didn't enjoy.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

precision posted:

I really despised season 3, after unabashedly loving the first 2

I seem to recall also being one of like 3 goons who thought Bob's Burgers was good from the beginning

To quote Tricky, "I be the prophet" (of lovely pop culture)

This means that in a couple years a bunch of goons are gonna discover Rectify season 1 and rightly declare it the most perfect season of television ever

It really is though

"Because I know you, because I know you, because I know you"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Mu Zeta posted:

On the plus side, he got back the rights to show his entire old Late Night catalog.

On the downside, this is crushing my spirit :smithicide:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

esperterra posted:

Britta was hella Flanderized to poo poo too, but I honestly didn't mind with her b/c Jacobs is hilarious.

https://youtu.be/IffKxr--Ik4

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
To say something is "up its own rear end" means "it believes its own hype"; in the case of Community, it means "Dan Harmon decided that the dumb Ernest Cline style gimmick episodes really were as brilliant as the show's worst fans thought they were"

Another example is Rectify season 4. The whole season, outside of a few fantastic story arcs, is ponderously and pointlessly precious and pointless in a way that the first 3 seasons neatly dodged. Like holy poo poo do not get me started on the season's conception of, and obsession with, Daniel's "manic pixie dream girl". It was so alien to what had made the show special in the first place that it was like the difference between Neuromancer and Ready Player One.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Totally agree about the pixie chick. I always thought in retrospect that Tawny should have been Daniel's muse there in the end. But then again if that had happened later we probably would have missed a lot of the awesome Teddy Jr/ Tawny tension.

I dunno the details of what happened with Clayne Crawford and Lethal Weapon but the dude was drat near perfect in Rectify. Everyone was really.

E: These posts have got me watching it from S1 E1 again. Maybe I won't cry this 3rd rewatch

isaboo fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 5, 2018

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Why is Conan going to a half hour?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pretend this post is a youtube clip of Clayne Crawford listening to Daniel describe prison rape

And yeah it's hard as hell not to tear up like a baby at "Because I know you" :(

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

TV Zombie posted:

Cheaper and most people probably just watch the clips on youtube.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TV Zombie posted:

I think a lot more people watch his Clueless Gamer segments (where he play video games badly with a celebrity guest) than full episodes so the show's being retooled to do more of that and other stuff like it that will attract higher ratings and bring in new viewers.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

On the plus side, he got back the rights to show his entire old Late Night catalog.

On the downside, this is crushing my spirit :smithicide:

More Bill Burr rants!.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TV Zombie posted:

Show's dying.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
The show isn't dying, it's just changing. Almost no one actually watches it on TV as it airs. I think even stuff like Andy Cohen and Carson Daly(!) get better ratings. However, like others said, he's killing it on YouTube. The condensed format makes sense.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Have other late night shows cut down their times?

Also, in watching through Altered Carbon, I am just ruffled by Ortega and her decision making,e.g. , destroying Rei's clones seemingly without reason or just from her general roughness. Am I wrong to be put off by her character?

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Argue posted:

This isn't specifically about the Community comment above, but I've never understood this criticism towards any show. I've heard it levied at Adventure Time, Community, and Lost, among others. What does this even mean? That they keep trying new things, sometimes to success and sometimes to failure?

Usually it means that the "new things they are trying" are things that appeal to the people making the show, and maybe extending to some members of an extremely devoted fanbase, but that don't really work in conventional narrative, comedic, or dramatic senses. So for anyone who is not 100% in, it fails. There starts to be a lot of self-referential stuff, meta elements, etc.

'Insular' might be a better word for it.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Oct 5, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah fair enough. I'll admit a lot of the stuff I like is stuff that might be inaccessible to anyone who wasn't into it from the start. I had been under the impression that the expression meant something like a very ill-defined criteria for pretentiousness, but those explanations make sense.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

precision posted:

I seem to recall also being one of like 3 goons who thought Bob's Burgers was good from the beginning

I watched the pilot and wrote it off. I think I laughed at "not even the good kind of austistic" and that was it.

Then I had the TV on a few months later and caught "Sheesh, Cab Bob" and I reeled at the fact that this was the same show. Went back and, yeah, it was just a mediocre pilot.

Since then I've given shows that I think I might like at least three episodes.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Conan is gearing towards the popular stuff. So more remotes and set pieces than on set interviews and monologues. Thats where he shines, so it makes sense.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Open Source Idiom posted:

I know I've missed the immediate Heathers chat...

It's my pick for best new show of the year, and would easily sit in the top ten of what's going down right now.

It's really good y'all.

You know when I watched the pilot I was tainted by people calling it a show for the alt-right. I mean hell when someone tells you that you have to hate whatever you are watching. I did watched it a second time with my wife, and I actually liked it. I am a sucker for dark satire. I just let outside forces get into my head too much the first time I watched it. It seems ever critic hates it, so I feel way off about this one I guess. I didn't think Insatiable was that bad either. There was a petition to have the show removed (I loved Netflix ordered a season 2). As a liberal I am starting to think liberals hate comedy unless it is making fun of the MAGA crowd.

Just curious did you see the full version before they edited it down?

Also best new show of the year? There is no way it is better than Counterpart which is currently my best show on the year period.

VVVV Edit: I have yet to watch Manic, but I am planning to. I still have a few shows to catch up on first.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Oct 5, 2018

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Best new show of the year is Maniac by a country mile. I think it's a one-off though.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
MitHC dropped this morning! :hitler:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I liked Maniac while I was watching but man I felt literally nothing at all once it ended

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If you dont feel like Justin Theroux is your new Lord and saviour then I don’t know what to tell you

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The pilot of Heathers was fab aside from a couple cringey lines. Haven't gotten around to watching the rest via totally legal means yet but I'm glad to hear it stays good

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Hakkesshu posted:

If you dont feel like Justin Theroux is your new Lord and saviour then I don’t know what to tell you

What do you mean "new"? The Leftovers ended last year.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

I liked Maniac while I was watching but man I felt literally nothing at all once it ended

I still can't get myself to watch it because I just hate Jonah Hill SO GODDAMNED MUCH.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

drunkill posted:

What do you mean "new"? The Leftovers ended last year.

I already loved him in Leftovers, but Maniac totally cemented him as one of my favourite working actors.

Rhyno posted:

I still can't get myself to watch it because I just hate Jonah Hill SO GODDAMNED MUCH.

I wasn't a fan either, but he was good in that role. Losing that weight weirdly makes him look way worse though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I don't like the director either. True Detective and Beasts of No Nation are like a fart in the wind in terms of leaving an impression on me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Funny cos really it was mainly the writing that caused my lack of interest. Visually and performance-wise it was great

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno posted:

SO GODDAMNED MUCH.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Get outta the comic store employee mentality of hating actors just because you find them annoying or whatever and watch the drat thing

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like Jonah Hill.

https://twitter.com/jodikantor/status/1048202799060865025

As it turned out, quite a lot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

Get outta the comic store employee mentality of hating actors just because you find them annoying or whatever and watch the drat thing

I have liked him in exactly zero films I have watched in which he has appeared in.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

I have liked him in exactly zero films I have watched in which he has appeared in.

He would have been great as Cole :D

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Your therepist needs to address this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
tbf not everyone has seen Wolf of Wall Street