Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Sunswipe posted:

Really? Because I'd say "Rot in prison forever" is a reasonable sentence for someone who drugged and anally raped a teenage girl. It's not up to the criminal to decide what sentence is appropriate.

I'd agree with you, actually. I'm not saying the plea bargain was right I'm saying that breaking a plea bargain isn't ok. If I were that judge there's no way I'd offer a light plea bargain in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Like four pages of discussion on how long it takes to be forgiven for racism.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Gally posted:

I've had a lot of bad days and yet somehow never started spewing racial slurs.

Neither would I. Still stands with what he said and how little he's done with repairing his career just proves his racism.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Araenna posted:

You forgot about how he married his wife's adopted daughter he helped raise, and raped his daughter with her by blood when she was a child.

Yes, abusers will hold things over your head that either weren't actually bad in the first place, or for way longer than is warranted. That doesn't mean that all people who don't forgive are abusers. Sometimes people do unforgivable things, or at least things that make you not want to associate with them any more. Cutting off ties with someone isn't the same as holding it over their heads. It's not abusive to not want anything to do with your homophobic parent. Yes, even if they changed. If you're constantly holding it over your partner that they cheated once 5 years ago, and control them with the guilt, that's abusive. If you leave them for it, and won't take them back because of it 5 years later, that is not. Even if you do forgive them. You can forgive someone and still want nothing to do with them. No one owes anyone a relationship of any sort.

Also, maybe it's easier to see these comedians as sympathetic when you've never been the one that is targeted by this lovely behavior. Things like Tracy Morgan saying he'd kill a gay son, or Chapelle talking about "trannies" tricking people into sex actively hurts people. It normalizes discrimination. It makes horrible struggles people go through into jokes. It makes me unable to watch anything without that fear in the back of my head, that at any point someone is going to make a transphobic joke. Will the people around me all laugh? Will my friends look to me to react? All while I'm sitting there, questioning once again, what if everyone is right, and it's just my mental illness making me think I'm trans, and I am a disgusting abomination?

Can you imagine what it's like to be reminded that you live in a country where there are people who still think you deserve to be killed for heckling them? One that will defend someone who says that, and claim it was just a bad day? One that, 12 years later, still will have people who will believe that someone can say something like that and not actually be racist, it's just a bad day. Saying someone should be lynched isn't something anyone could accidentally come out with on a bad day. It's only something someone who is deeply, hatefully racist would say, because he truly believes it.

So the Allen thing is a little tricky to me because Soon-Yi adamantly holds to this day that Allen was never a father figure, so as creepy as that whole situation is I don’t know if the “raising his future wife” charge is as true as it is salacious.

Then you have her and Moses claiming that Woody wasn’t the abusive one but Mia, so at this point I’m not really what to conclude other than that Woody and Mia are both terrible people.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Mia Farrow is still a defender of Polanski to this day. :shrug:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Gaunab posted:

I guess it takes 5 pages at least.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I'd agree with you, actually. I'm not saying the plea bargain was right I'm saying that breaking a plea bargain isn't ok. If I were that judge there's no way I'd offer a light plea bargain in the first place.

Judges don't offer plea bargains. The DA does it and the judge signs off if he or she thinks it's fair. In this case the judge had every right to revoke the plea bargain because new evidence was presented. The concern I think was how it was presented and if another lawyer violated the law in talking to the judge outside of proper channels. Wikipedia says the evidence that disturbed the judge were photographs of Polanski hugging on presumably underaged girls.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Mia Farrow is still a defender of Polanski to this day. :shrug:

Mia Farrow is only righteous in contrast to Woody Allen. She's got some hosed up poo poo going on herself.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

Judges don't offer plea bargains. The DA does it and the judge signs off if he or she thinks it's fair. In this case the judge had every right to revoke the plea bargain because new evidence was presented. The concern I think was how it was presented and if another lawyer violated the law in talking to the judge outside of proper channels. Wikipedia says the evidence that disturbed the judge were photographs of Polanski hugging on presumably underaged girls.

Oh, I didn't know that. That sounds like even more of a mess than I thought it was.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

fruit BOO!ts posted:

So the Allen thing is a little tricky to me because Soon-Yi adamantly holds to this day that Allen was never a father figure, so as creepy as that whole situation is I don’t know if the “raising his future wife” charge is as true as it is salacious.

Then you have her and Moses claiming that Woody wasn’t the abusive one but Mia, so at this point I’m not really what to conclude other than that Woody and Mia are both terrible people.

There's been a bunch of interviews with all the kids and it does seem likely that he was much less creepy that Farrow claimed and that the media story we all know as the truth may be almost entirely fabricated.

(Well, a 55 year old dating a 21 year old is still as creepy as gently caress)

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

People made Polish jokes after tyool 1980? I remember they were a common thing in the 70's, (Even on TV shows - Wojo on Barney Miller, for example{thread relevance!}) but then they pretty much disappeared from the national stage.

Was it a local thing, or people stuck in the past?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

MrUnderbridge posted:

People made Polish jokes after tyool 1980? I remember they were a common thing in the 70's, (Even on TV shows - Wojo on Barney Miller, for example{thread relevance!}) but then they pretty much disappeared from the national stage.

Was it a local thing, or people stuck in the past?

Local thing. It still happens sometimes. Well these days I'm a recluse so I don't hear it because of that but I even had to explain to one of my professors why it wasn't ok. To his credit he apologized and never did it again. Now we're pals and I occasionally go annoy him.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Oct 4, 2018

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

fruit BOO!ts posted:

Mia Farrow can be a terrible mother AND Woody Allen could have sexually abused his daughter. One does not exclude the other.
I honestly think she was abusive to her kids and favored some of them (namely Ronan/Satchel).

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

M_Sinistrari posted:

Only thing I remember him in other than Seinfeld was that movie Wierd Al Yankovic did.

I first saw him on Fridays (an SNL knockoff) where his best character was a psychotic kid playing with Army men.

Adult Illiteracy
Oct 10, 2012

This is funny, because I find I'm frequently supporting similar messages to the stuff you've been saying and I also share a guilt complex. Maybe there's a correlation? I think maybe being in a position of constant penitence makes one need to believe that there is A way to make amends for ANYTHING. But when this thinking goes from personal transgressions to larger societal issues it's odd to conceive of a statute of limitations because we can't honestly say what his mentality was or whether or not he's remorseful. If he's unremorseful, why not still hate him? If he is, what has he done to demonstrate that remorse and attempt to make reparations? I think there's an interesting discussion to be had about the metrics of rehabilitation and a lot of false "all or nothing" thinking in the people dogpiling on you, and yet I can't get more than an arm's length because Michael Richards was a talentless animated merkin who has had a better life than a lot of better people. Not where I'd plant my flag.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sarcopenia posted:

Mia Farrow can be a terrible mother AND Woody Allen could have sexually abused his daughter. One does not exclude the other.
I honestly think she was abusive to her kids and favored some of them (namely Ronan/Satchel).

Yeah, that’s essentially the conclusion that I came to. It’s just kind of tricky thing. We’re all starting to come to this idea that we should believe the victims but then here’s a case where the victims don’t agree. Ultimately you can still believe their stories because it isn’t mutually exclusive, you just have to allow that they’re turning a blind eye to half the story.

spog posted:

There's been a bunch of interviews with all the kids and it does seem likely that he was much less creepy that Farrow claimed and that the media story we all know as the truth may be almost entirely fabricated.

I mean it is still creepy, but Soon-Yi is in her late forties now and at a certain point I feel like I kind of have to take her word for it when she says that it didn’t happen that way between them. Certainly doesn’t mean that I have to discount what Dylan says though.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

I first saw him on Fridays (an SNL knockoff) where his best character was a psychotic kid playing with Army men.

Yup. They had a news segment, where he did occasional bits. One that still comes to mind was him holding up John Lennon's last album and saying "Number one with a bullet" and then miming a "What? What?" reaction when the audience practically hissed at him.

So there's that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gaunab posted:

Well if we're going there, I still think Jeffrey Jones did a great job in Ravenous and I'll never stop enjoying that film.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

My favorites are Lewis black, George Carlin, and all the ones that joke about food. How often does that sort of thing happen? Feel like I missed something along the way now. Or maybe I just stick to cynical old dudes and food and haven't seen much of the rest. How bad is it? I don't think I've ever watched Tracy Morgan for example.

I wonder if in this case if it was just a one off thing. I won't ever say it was acceptable behavior because it wasn't. I'm not going to defend it I just want to know what you consider proper atonement or if you think that's impossible. Granted it probably also has wishful thinking on my part. The guy that played Kramer can't be THAT racist, can he?

Do you believe fixing the damage is possible? If he's willing to own up to it and mend his ways how do you think he should go about doing it? That's what I'm wondering about, really. How does one undo the damage? If he's willing to change how does he prove it?

The worst I've experienced is people treating me like I'm stupid or acting shocked at my education level when they find out I'm of polish descent. Mostly when I point out that I don't like dumb pole jokes and ask people to not tell them they stop. Mostly. I won't claim to have gone through anything of that level because I haven't. I don't think I've ever heard a comedian even mention that demographic.

I wrote a whole thing out, but you know what? gently caress it. You're an rear end in a top hat. You're defending someone who said to a man that he should be murdered for loving heckling. gently caress you dude.

spog posted:

Last I heard his son thinks he's a child-raping piece of poo poo for raping his one sister and marrying the other one. The daughter also still maintains that he raped her. So I'm not sure what interviews you're talking about.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Araenna posted:

Last I heard his son thinks he's a child-raping piece of poo poo for raping his one sister and marrying the other one. The daughter also still maintains that he raped her. So I'm not sure what interviews you're talking about.

Moses Farrow has been very outspoken about how absolutely horrible he thinks his mother is and how he supports Woody Allen and chastising her for basically trying to portray Soon-Yi as a mentally handicapped child.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Heads up, this country is pretty lovely about letting anyone atone for anything ever, especially in the social media age.

I've worked with felons post-incarceration trying to piece their lives together after their debt to society has auspiciously been paid. For a non-rich and especially non-white person, a felony conviction can amount to something close to a life sentence, because people will just not let that poo poo go.

Yes, we should let people have a second chance if they actually are remorseful and are working to fix their problem.

No, we shouldn't just shrug off non-apologies and repeated bad behavior.

If Michael Richards said some terrible, hateful things, yeah, he has to own that and figure out how to fix himself and make amends. Should we just brush it off and ignore it? No. Should we tell him he can't ever do stand-up again? No. Do I ever want to see him again? No. But, if his non-racist humor was something people liked, and he tries to fix his issues, gently caress yeah, let people enjoy what they enjoy. If noted unfunny hack Jerry Seinfeld wants to vouch for him so he can get a headline show somewhere, that's on the both of them.

Telling people they can't ever fix poo poo when they've hosed up is ridiculous. And no, it's not just racism. But, yes, we should be holding them to a standard of "You actually have to accept responsibility for your fuckups and show actual good-faith effort to make good, and not just throwing money at it".

PS: I'm still mad every time I think about the fact that the "local boy made good" Kevin Clash, the man behind Elmo, was abusing teenage boys. He's deflected and justified at every turn and it makes me even madder that Sesame Street was complicit. That dude can loving rot in hell with Cosby and Woody Allen and John Wayne.

Speaking of which, one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever seen on TV had to be Jerry appearing on Letterman for a regular interview, then the Richards thing happened about 3-4 days before it was scheduled. Jerry has Richards appear by satellite and Richards tries what seems like a very earnest apology (although just as possibly a last ditch effort to save what's left of his career). At one point the studio audience starts laughing at something Richards says and Seinfeld has to chide them that this isn't a bit, it's not funny it's serious.

I seriously feel like not just Richards' career died there, but Seinfeld's also. Yeah, Comedians in Cars Getting Suppositories still exists and gets views and I'm sure Jerry likes doing it, but I find it hard to believe it's what he prefers to be doing.

For the 3 of you who haven't seen it; this starts out innocuously enough, and gets weird in a hurry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwBoVZh1ruQ

Also, I'm imagining Wayne meeting Allen. That would uh not go well.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Pick posted:

Well if we're going there, I still think Jeffrey Jones did a great job in Ravenous and I'll never stop enjoying that film.

I still listen to that movie's soundtrack every once in awhile. My friends and I also say "It's lonely being a cannibal" as an inside joke.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Speaking of which, one of the most uncomfortable things I've ever seen on TV had to be Jerry appearing on Letterman for a regular interview, then the Richards thing happened about 3-4 days before it was scheduled. Jerry has Richards appear by satellite and Richards tries what seems like a very earnest apology (although just as possibly a last ditch effort to save what's left of his career). At one point the studio audience starts laughing at something Richards says and Seinfeld has to chide them that this isn't a bit, it's not funny it's serious.

I seriously feel like not just Richards' career died there, but Seinfeld's also. Yeah, Comedians in Cars Getting Suppositories still exists and gets views and I'm sure Jerry likes doing it, but I find it hard to believe it's what he prefers to be doing.

For the 3 of you who haven't seen it; this starts out innocuously enough, and gets weird in a hurry https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwBoVZh1ruQ

It's even more awkward than I remember. "You didn't see the whole thing" "They went to the press... Eh as they should have!". Goddamnit Michael.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Sarcopenia posted:

Moses Farrow has been very outspoken about how absolutely horrible he thinks his mother is and how he supports Woody Allen and chastising her for basically trying to portray Soon-Yi as a mentally handicapped child.

Ronan is the one who is against him it looks like. Have any other kids spoken out? I'm willing to yield on the Dylan stuff being as cut and dried as I'd remembered it, but he's still a creeper who likes girls way too young.

Also, I was wrong. Dylan wasn't by blood, but was adopted by him.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

I still listen to that movie's soundtrack every once in awhile. My friends and I also say "It's lonely being a cannibal" as an inside joke.

He completely works in that role, he gets a bit overshadowed by Carlyle (because he ALSO kicks complete rear end in that movie), but he lands pathetic/sad in a really effective way there.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

God drat, I don't think I've ever, ever been able to make it through this interview 100%. I just can't do it

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Last Chance posted:

God drat, I don't think I've ever, ever been able to make it through this interview 100%. I just can't do it

I quit after like a minute or two. :jerry:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Last Chance posted:

The funny thing is I tuned into Letterman that night casually not knowing what I was getting into. Boy howdy.

I bet Letterman was more uncomfortable during the Madonna and Crispin Glover moments, though.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Araenna posted:

Ronan is the one who is against him it looks like. Have any other kids spoken out? I'm willing to yield on the Dylan stuff being as cut and dried as I'd remembered it, but he's still a creeper who likes girls way too young.

Also, I was wrong. Dylan wasn't by blood, but was adopted by him.
Yeah most visibly it's Ronan and Dylan on Farrows side and Soon-Yi and Moses on Allens side. There are more of the siblings on Mia's side but most of them aren't Allen's children.

One thing is for sure, he was trying to groom Mariel Hemmingway (she was 16) under and after the production of Manhattan. He creep.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The funny thing is I tuned into Letterman that night casually not knowing what I was getting into. Boy howdy.

I bet Letterman was more uncomfortable during the Madonna and Crispin Glover moments, though.

The Crispin Glover moment is the one where he came out tripping balls and tried to fight him, right?

What did Madonna do?

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The Crispin Glover moment is the one where he came out tripping balls and tried to fight him, right?

What did Madonna do?

She was high as gently caress and gives him her panties.He starts off the whole thing by telling her to kiss some random dude in the audience.
She makes a ton of sexual innuendos, swears and refuses to leave the stage. It's... Awkward and not as fun as you would think it would be.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What did Madonna do?

Yeah. He's also carrying a briefcase open to a thing that catalogues eye diseases, I think? Somebody on this site said he was just playing his character from a movie he was promoting, but Glover's got such a rep as a genuine weirdo that I'm not sure that's the case.

He pretty much covered Madonna, although I think she swore a few times as well?

Drew Barrymore flashed him during a less than great period for her personally, but that came off as more of a funny thing to the uninitiated. I don't know if she was relapsing or if she was just struggling mentally, or even just feeling cheeky.

El Gallinero Gros has a new favorite as of 05:36 on Oct 5, 2018

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

https://vimeo.com/96035511

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

He was probably thinking of Disenchantment.

It’s like the worst of the newer seasons of Futurama mixed with the Jockey episode of the simpsons. Every joke in the 4 episodes I watched was an exact ripoff of stuff they’d already done in those two shows with roughly half the heart of either

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah. He's also carrying a briefcase open to a thing that catalogues eye diseases, I think? Somebody on this site said he was just playing his character from a movie he was promoting, but Glover's got such a rep as a genuine weirdo that I'm not sure that's the case.

According to Wikipedia he was in character for a movie that was in development at the time and didn’t even come out until 4 years later

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Henchman of Santa posted:

According to Wikipedia he was in character for a movie that was in development at the time and didn’t even come out until 4 years later

Apparently he's quite the character..... actor.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Apparently he's quite the character..... actor.

The dentist chair in his house should have clued everyone in if his music album didnt

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

He pretty much covered Madonna, although I think she swore a few times as well?

Drew Barrymore flashed him during a less than great period for her personally, but that came off as more of a funny thing to the uninitiated. I don't know if she was relapsing or if she was just struggling mentally, or even just feeling cheeky.

I've never heard about her relapsing after she stopped in her mid/late teens. I honestly think she was just feeling herself. :kiddo:
How she ended up being one of the most sane people in Hollywood is beyond me.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Now she has 2 songs named after her.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Aesop Poprock posted:

It’s like the worst of the newer seasons of Futurama mixed with the Jockey episode of the simpsons. Every joke in the 4 episodes I watched was an exact ripoff of stuff they’d already done in those two shows with roughly half the heart of either

What really shitted me about the show is that it has the same dynamic of "pathetic loser creeps on a girl, pretends to be her friend and tries to guilt her into loving him".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Boy am I glad I passed on Disenchantment.