Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Somebody recommend a Sci Fi book. I liked the Quantum Thief but not enough to read the rest of the trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

Somebody recommend a Sci Fi book. I liked the Quantum Thief but not enough to read the rest of the trilogy.

Blindsight was the best I read recently disregarding The Three Body Problem stuff from Liu Cixin.

Maybe something from Peter F. Hamilton? I liked Pandora's Star but the old classic stuff is good too. Neutronium Alchemist and such.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Nice piece of fish posted:

Blindsight was the best I read recently disregarding The Three Body Problem stuff from Liu Cixin.

Maybe something from Peter F. Hamilton? I liked Pandora's Star but the old classic stuff is good too. Neutronium Alchemist and such.

Enjoyed Blindsight, LOVED TBP, and Pandora's Star started off good, but tried to turn itself into some kind of Homeric Epic halfway through and when I finished it I had no desire to read the rest of the series, so I just Wiki'ed how it ended.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
The Broken Earth trilogy was a good read.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

Loved it.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Look Sir Droids posted:

Agreed.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Y: The Last Man

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

blarzgh posted:

Children of Time.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

I mean sure, but I was referring to like, I can put a few in an apartment in the city, probably ten or so in the summerhouse, eight at the most up at the cabin, so you're gonna have to be willing to have a rotation I think. Who likes crab fishing and northern lights? I posted about the summer house in my DIY thread:

So you're gonna have to learn to share.

So you have an apartment, a cabin, and a summerhouse? Is land just free over there or something

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

blarzgh posted:

I mean the natural pick for this thread is Max Gladstone’s Three Parts Dead, which is all about fantasy doc review in a world where bigfirm law partners are undead liches . I guess it’s technically fantasy not SF though.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

uberkeyzer posted:

I mean the natural pick for this thread is Max Gladstone’s Three Parts Dead, which is all about fantasy doc review in a world where bigfirm law partners are undead liches . I guess it’s technically fantasy not SF though.

There are currently 6 of these and a CYOA game that's currently being LP'd: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3863995. They're pretty good.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I mean sure, but I was referring to like, I can put a few in an apartment in the city, probably ten or so in the summerhouse, eight at the most up at the cabin, so you're gonna have to be willing to have a rotation I think. Who likes crab fishing and northern lights? I posted about the summer house in my DIY thread:

So you're gonna have to learn to share.

Nice dog homie

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
After 4 weeks, I can report that not big law is awesome.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

gvibes posted:

Children of Time.

Was fantastic.

uberkeyzer posted:

I can't tell if this is a joke, but I'll look for it anyway. I don't know if I have the capacity for a loving 6 part epic though.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

blarzgh posted:

Was fantastic.

I can't tell if this is a joke, but I'll look for it anyway. I don't know if I have the capacity for a loving 6 part epic though.

It’s not a joke and it doesn’t really qualify as an epic, but they are good.

Hull Zero Three might be up your alley if you enjoyed Blindsight.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Kalman posted:

It’s not a joke and it doesn’t really qualify as an epic, but they are good.

Hull Zero Three might be up your alley if you enjoyed Blindsight.

Ooh, I like Greg Bear! I'll give it a shot!

Forge of God was excellent, and Blood Music and Darwin's Radio were schlocky, but they felt like picking up one of those weird techno-thrillers at HPB back on the 90's so they were fun.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

EwokEntourage posted:

So you have an apartment, a cabin, and a summerhouse? Is land just free over there or something

No, the opposite. Also those are family owned (and mostly idle), apart from my apartment and the cabin. If I owned all that poo poo the property taxes would murder me. Don't worry, I'm a millennial on the relative bottom rung of accumulated assets, alright.

disjoe posted:

Nice dog homie

A good doggo. Sadly expired, but he had a good life as a hunter.

Adar posted:

There are currently 6 of these and a CYOA game that's currently being LP'd: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3863995. They're pretty good.

This is pretty interesting.

E: Heyyy, no peace prize for Trump. Guess I survived my toxx. Gotta be happy about the little things, also Trump is an rear end in a top hat by the way.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Oct 5, 2018

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

blarzgh posted:

Was fantastic.

Not a joke, there are six books set in the same world but they are all standalone stories. I can vouch for the first couple, got bogged down and couldn’t finish the third.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Did some volunteering at an advice clinic last night, and my advice was that they needed attorneys and shouldn't proceed pro se. I'm not sure if my two people were unique, but there's no way I could have successfully told them how to handle their business in a half hour chat. I'm probably going to represent one of them pro se since they really just need a letter from an attorney to tell a landlord to gently caress off.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I really have to stop engaging with american politics. There's always more and it's always worse. Republicans are going to nominate a guy to a lifetime position who at his confirmation was literally threatening to exact revenge on the other end of the political spectrum. There's no bottom. Even if you dont believe the rape stuff (but you should), there's no denying his partiality and injudiciousness- he displayed it in sworn loving testimony

Aaaaaa

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
His legal resume before getting appointed to a federal bench: clerked for Kennedy; worked for Ken Starr drafting bullshit charges against Bill Clinton (that really do not hold to legal scrutiny); tried and failed to represent Elian Gonzales Florida relatives to keep him in Florida; joined the Bush legal team for Bush v Gore; and finally worked in the GWB whitehouse to ensure federal judge nominees were the right kind of nominees.

When he was getting grilled before his first federal appointment he flat admitted he has zero courtroom litigation experience. His only courtroom time ever has been as a judge. If only someone had been wise enough to ask him to define a motion in limine.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Mr. Nice! posted:

His legal resume before getting appointed to a federal bench: clerked for Kennedy; worked for Ken Starr drafting bullshit charges against Bill Clinton (that really do not hold to legal scrutiny); tried and failed to represent Elian Gonzales Florida relatives to keep him in Florida; joined the Bush legal team for Bush v Gore; and finally worked in the GWB whitehouse to ensure federal judge nominees were the right kind of nominees.

When he was getting grilled before his first federal appointment he flat admitted he has zero courtroom litigation experience. His only courtroom time ever has been as a judge.

Someone who has worked in a law school clinic during law school has more courtroom experience than he does. It's a loving embarrassment that the ABA rated him qualified in the first place.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Hey Clinton, tell us where you shot your load. Lie and it's a felony.

*years pass*

Asking me about my teenage drinking???? Agshagagagahhsgshah I'll set the loving world on fireeeeeee *goes super saiyan*

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

His whole career after the Kennedy clerkship has been partisan bullshit. He didn’t even work for BigLaw.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

terrorist ambulance posted:

Hey Clinton, tell us where you shot your load. Lie and it's a felony.

*years pass*

Asking me about my teenage drinking???? Agshagagagahhsgshah I'll set the loving world on fireeeeeee *goes super saiyan*

I agree with whoever mentioned yesterday that any liberal org that goes before the court should move for Kavanaugh to recuse himself.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Serious question that I know would never happen for a heap of reasons, BUT: what if the other SC Justices just straight up refused to work with him? What would happen if they just boycotted/went on strike and said "we refuse to hear or judge cases while he's sitting here with us"? Would there be any recourse to that, or anything Congress could do? Can they even be fired for any reason?

In Australia we have age limits (70), which has pros and cons, and they can be removed for "proved misbehaviour" and "incapacity".

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Whitlam posted:

Serious question that I know would never happen for a heap of reasons, BUT: what if the other SC Justices just straight up refused to work with him? What would happen if they just boycotted/went on strike and said "we refuse to hear or judge cases while he's sitting here with us"? Would there be any recourse to that, or anything Congress could do? Can they even be fired for any reason?

In Australia we have age limits (70), which has pros and cons, and they can be removed for "proved misbehaviour" and "incapacity".

The only way to "fire" a Supreme Court Justice is to impeach them (requiring half the House), followed by a "conviction" (requiring 2/3 of the Senate). Half of the House is possible, 2/3 is the Senate will never happen unless he is just straight up taking bribes or is documented molesting his clerks or something.

The Justices can't really decide to just not work with him, but Roberts can do things like not let him write any of the opinions.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Whitlam posted:

Congress could impeach them, that’s about it. Supreme Court justices can’t be fired, they largely self regulate, and impeachment is the only thing that can be done to them, but it requires a 50%+1 vote in the house to impeach and 2/3rds vote in the senate to remove, so it’ll probably never happen (no one will vote to remove a justice that aligns with their political beliefs)

Rumor is everyone already hates Gorusch, but it keeps functioning

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Whelp. I don't have a beautiful winter cabin but I do have room on my floor for a couple of mattresses, if anyone wants. Rip America.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Whitlam posted:

Whelp. I don't have a beautiful winter cabin but I do have room on my floor for a couple of mattresses, if anyone wants. Rip America.

You're not fooling me into falling asleep on the floor in Australia. There's some ant or something that exclusively delivers its poison through the crotch.

Incidentally, where in British California do you live?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

I agree with whoever mentioned yesterday that any liberal org that goes before the court should move for Kavanaugh to recuse himself.

Yeah and when he says no, gently caress you, their recourse is ???

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

terrorist ambulance posted:

Yeah and when he says no, gently caress you, their recourse is ???

It's not about actually getting him to recuse himself. It's so Democrats are constantly reminded why you show up on election day.

Can we also talk about how Kavanaugh appears to either be dumb as hell or think we all are? His op-ed that says he was "emotional" in a loving prepared statement?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The entire us legal system, as well as every other, rely on decorum and people working together to paper over gaps. The entire legal philsophy of the usa was made up by a bunch of judges declaring themselves to be in charge of that and the other politicians going sure sounds good

Republicans over the last few decades have started to lay bare all these issues and it's absolutely accelerated under Trump. But it was there beforehand - bork not getting confirmed led to tons of resentment and wanting payback, and you end up with Garland not getting a vote because gently caress you that's why. And that was pre trump, who was mainly dispensed with all the veneer of respectability

And the best part is the voters like this because they're sick of elected politicians meeting in the middle to agree that the only way to go forward is keep making things worse for 95% of people

Nihilism and anger are the only correct responses. Voting is entirely performative masturbation and it feels good to write in goofy names on the ballot

It's probably for the best - judges have voted in naked partisan or selfish manners for centuries, stop pretending otherwise.

And yeah, this op ed is ridiculous. This guy is a partisan hack, has zero ability to run a court room if he's not being fawned over , and would probably be a horrible coworker (let alone all his lies which he doesn't care about because if bill can lie so can he ). We see all that in his live testimony and now he has someone else write a I'm Sorry you Got Upset letter to help him? Who is he trying to convince, two whole senators?

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 5, 2018

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's not about actually getting him to recuse himself. It's so Democrats are constantly reminded why you show up on election day.

Can we also talk about how Kavanaugh appears to either be dumb as hell or think we all are? His op-ed that says he was "emotional" in a loving prepared statement?

He’s trying to defend his tears, not his words. The people (person) he’s writing that for don’t give a poo poo about the insanity of what he said, they just thought crying about your quarterback and Squi was weird.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

I actually have no troublee believing he was levitating off the ground by the force of sheer loving incredulousness and rage at the time he wrote it. Catholic prep school kid turned Republican in house sex lawyer is probably not very used to have women contradict him in public and reacted pretty predictably to it.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Pook Good Mook posted:

You're not fooling me into falling asleep on the floor in Australia. There's some ant or something that exclusively delivers its poison through the crotch.

Incidentally, where in British California do you live?

Some of the ants are edible.

Victoria, originally from Western Australia. My mum's partner is from Dubuque, Iowa.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Checks out. Boofing is to flatulence as his tantrum is to emotional.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

The problem with the left in this country is that its handcuffed between the actual power of the Democratic political machine and the horatory ideals of modern leftism. The message is too divergent from the political foundation that gives it the platform to spread that message.

And the problem with the right in this country is that the morality it bootstrapped to its platform is now a liability which leaves them with nothing but a handful of giant, single-issue voting blocks to which they're beholden, and they can only motivate with scare tactics and call-to-arms, wherein no matter how repugnant their guy is, he can never be "the greater evil" by default.

blarzgh posted:

Or we could stop pretending politics is a election of ideas and hopes and admit its just a contest of anxieties and loathing

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Pook Good Mook posted:

The only way to "fire" a Supreme Court Justice is to impeach them (requiring half the House), followed by a "conviction" (requiring 2/3 of the Senate). Half of the House is possible, 2/3 is the Senate will never happen unless he is just straight up taking bribes or is documented molesting his clerks or something.

The Justices can't really decide to just not work with him, but Roberts can do things like not let him write any of the opinions.

you can pack the court and make one of the judges you appoint agree to nullify any vote he casts

attn: 2020 dem nominee, i am available for this job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The Kav op-ed was for an audience of one, John Roberts, who is probably too politically astute to be fooled by that. It’s also a bullshit apology because he was apologizing for his emotions, not the brazen political hackery in his prepared statement he said he wrote the day before. He’s arguing for manslaughter when he already admitted to murder.

I agree with what MSM said about decorum. The partisanship was always there. I disagree that it’s no big deal if the curtain gets drawn away. The decorum is what made it function as “well” as it did. Without it it’s just going to get worse.

EDIT: The other justices can’t tell Kav to gently caress off, but they can neutralize him with strategic votes. The only one that would possibly do that is Roberts. Alito, Thomas, and Gorsuch don’t care.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 5, 2018