Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

There's no Permanency spell in this version, right? That used to be great for similar kinds of shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Upon review, I think i'll just grab Amulet of the Planes, make a low int character, then sprint into the boss room and try to use it to teleport to hell

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Why don't Ranger/Fighter/Barbarian/Paladin fighter styles scale at all?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cassa posted:

Why don't Ranger/Fighter/Barbarian/Paladin fighter styles scale at all?

Melee isn't allowed to have nice things

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Tetracube posted:

ah poo poo that's right

I'm racking my brain here. something with a bag of devouring maybe? you could also get a potion of cloud giant strength for something

both last an hour, unless you want to be really pedantic and say it disappears 6 seconds before

No -

If your concentration ends before the spell reaches its full duration, the devil doesn't disappear if it has become immune to your verbal commands. Instead, it acts in whatever manner it chooses for 3d6 minutes, and then it disappears.

And you drop concentration the moment you start casting a spell longer than one action, like Planar Binding.

The only summons that are effective to bind as such are from Conjure Elemental, since you lose control but they last the full hour before disappearing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Azhais posted:

Melee isn't allowed to have nice things
While I am very glad they kept no more "Level 1 wizard cast a spell and now he's dead weight until your next camp out"?

It's incredibly sad that the tired old cookie cutter claims are still in use despite that.

"You can swing your sword all day long! I can only cast magic missile and hold person so many times a day!"

"You took Magic Missile and Hold Person as your 'Can cast infinity amount of times' options"

"But that's only if I cast them at their lowest level!!!"

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Section Z posted:

While I am very glad they kept no more "Level 1 wizard cast a spell and now he's dead weight until your next camp out"?

It's incredibly sad that the tired old cookie cutter claims are still in use despite that.

"You can swing your sword all day long! I can only cast magic missile and hold person so many times a day!"

"You took Magic Missile and Hold Person as your 'Can cast infinity amount of times' options"

"But that's only if I cast them at their lowest level!!!"

On one hand, 18th level is high enough that people should be getting powerful and exciting options.

On the other hand, "I never run out of magic, ever" is absolutely not equal to the fighter's "I do one more damage, on average, when I use a maneuver, which are still limited per encounter." I mean, if a fighter could use one or two maneuvers any time, all the time, without spending superiority dice or even an action, it still wouldn't really come close, although that might be a good start.

When a fighter's only job description is that he fights, would it have killed WotC to at least make them good at it?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

No -

If your concentration ends before the spell reaches its full duration, the devil doesn't disappear if it has become immune to your verbal commands. Instead, it acts in whatever manner it chooses for 3d6 minutes, and then it disappears.

And you drop concentration the moment you start casting a spell longer than one action, like Planar Binding.

The only summons that are effective to bind as such are from Conjure Elemental, since you lose control but they last the full hour before disappearing.

Get a friend to help and trade off summon/bind until you have an arbitrarily large demon army?

lightrook posted:

When a fighter's only job description is that he fights, would it have killed WotC to at least make them good at it?

Yes.

Literally yes.

But now I've already said too much.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

AlphaDog posted:

Yes.

Literally yes.

But now I've already said too much.

You're completely right, and I hate the game so much for it.

At least 5e gives casters a lot of options for Being Martials, But Better.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The best part of 3.X was martials getting 50+ Strength (and 1.5x Strength mods, plus double or triple power attacks), and hitting for 2d6+60, five times, at mid-levels.

The worst part was casters using those same options, and doing the same thing. But at least melee combat was the way to poo poo out the most damage.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
For all its other flaws, 3e was actually pretty good at letting martials put out damage.

The larger overarching problem was that damage was rarely the fastest way to actually defeat any given monster.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I do remember the D&D next as "watch all the martial classes slowly get less interesting".

this is a quote of a post that's like 15 days old but I'm just now catching up on the thread and like...

the way they changed battlemaster's school capstone from recovering superiority dice on a per-round basis to a per-combat basis is one of the most insane playtest changes I've ever seen; they get that ability at the same time wizards get 9th level spells lmao

gradenko_2000 posted:

For all its other flaws, 3e was actually pretty good at letting martials put out damage.

The larger overarching problem was that damage was rarely the fastest way to actually defeat any given monster.

depends on the martial; one of my favorite dumb mechanics is still the AD&D-minded holdover that sneak attack didn't work on like half the monster manual

Baku fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 5, 2018

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

the way they changed battlemaster's school capstone from recovering superiority dice on a per-round basis to a per-combat basis is one of the most insane playtest changes I've ever seen; they get that ability at the same time wizards get 9th level spells lmao
Wasn't the paladin's Smite allowed with range attacks in the playtest too?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

depends on the martial; one of my favorite dumb mechanics is still the AD&D-minded holdover that sneak attack didn't work on like half the monster manual

In AD&D? The only conditions on Backstab are "it's unaware of you" and "you are behind it".

So yeah, that negates surprise is un-backstab-able. That might be vampires and maybe some demons/devils/dragons in the MM. Also anything you can't meaningfully be behind is immune, but that's only slimes and... um... otyugs?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Toplowtech posted:

Wasn't the paladin's Smite allowed with range attacks in the playtest too?

This is what Smite looked like in the Jun 7 2013 playtest packet:

This is what Smite looked like in the Aug 2 2013 playtest packet:

This is what Smite looked like in the (IIRC, final pre-release) Sep 19 2013 playtest packet:

And this is what we ended up with:

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

What was their problem with Divine arrow of faith doing basically d8 instead of d6 "sneak attack" level of damage but with a limited number of charges? The Aug 2 2013 playtest is quite good with flat extra damage as you level.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

AlphaDog posted:

In AD&D? The only conditions on Backstab are "it's unaware of you" and "you are behind it".

So yeah, that negates surprise is un-backstab-able. That might be vampires and maybe some demons/devils/dragons in the MM. Also anything you can't meaningfully be behind is immune, but that's only slimes and... um... otyugs?

In 2E the victim also had to be generally humanoid (because otherwise you hadn't studied where to strike it, of course) and you had to be able to reach something vital (so, as the example says, no backstabbing giants unless you're on a window ledge). The humanoid requirement knocks out quite a bit.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Here's the relevant section from AD&D's PHB:

So yeah, 3e did relax things a bit by letting "Sneak Attack" work across multiple attacks, and no longer needing literal stealth, and so on, but it did also still have that limitation where lots of enemies were immune to Sneak Attacks (and critical strikes) because of 'incorrect anatomy'

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

The problem was DM's of 3.5 HATED when martials did the large damage numbers. Heck one of my dm's banned leap attack. Yet none of them ever gave half a poo poo when you plane shifted an enemy to the plane of fire or negative energy plane or some poo poo and killed them that way.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I think the biggest nerf martials took to their own job (dealing damage) in 5e is that significant increases in damage are locked behind feats now, and feats are considered an "optional" rule (like the grid). So in other words, the game is not going to guide a new player towards picking up Great Weapon Master if they use a Great Sword. So by level 11 the Great Sword Fighter in a default rules game is dealing average of 36 damage. That's two more than a Hexblade Warlock with the same weapon (and without using any resources). That's how much they're valuing the spellcasting.

Now martials still get to do better damage than (mostly) everyone else if you use feats, but you're now locking the biggest thing that separates martials from other characters behind build choices like "do I want +2 Strength or Great Weapon Master or Lucky?" and poo poo like that. The system does a terrible job of guiding players to the few things martials actually get to do.

Of course the lack of narrative impact past level 10 is a thing too, but it bothers me that even before that Fighters are barely doing any more damage than anyone else. A level 5 Hexblade matches a level 5 Fighter for sustainable damage. How does that make sense?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Here's the relevant section from AD&D's PHB:

That's 2nd ed. 1st is

(PHB)
Back stabbing is the striking of a blow from behind, be it with club, dagger, or sword.
<damage stuff here>
Note that striking by surprise from behind also increases the hit probability by 20% (+4 on the thief's "to hit" die roll).

(DMG)
Opponents aware of the thief will be able to negate the attack form. Certain creatures (otyughs, slimes, molds, etc.) either negate surprise or have no definable "back", thus negating this ability.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The other big change was, as lightrook said, the flattening of BAB into proficiency bonuses, and how that interacts with Power Attack.

It used to be that a full BAB class would scale hard and fast enough against monster AC that they'd be able to trade-away their BAB for more Power Attack - this actually forms the missing piece of how damage normally does not scale with level in D&D: in 3e it does for the Fighter, because they get a +1 BAB, and they immediately dump it into Power Attack for a +1 (or more likely +1.5) damage.

In 5e, that doesn't exist anymore: everyone is at "full" BAB, and so the Fighter is hitting as often as the Wizard's firebolts (+6 prof +5 stat mod), and so even if Great Weapon Master exists, you don't have the "spare" attack bonus to take the -5 attack penalty in exchange for the +10 damage bonus ... except maybe if you had Advantage, but then Fighters don't have a way to reliably trigger Advantage, so they're still behind even in that department.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Given all this discussion, is there any third-party resource with tons of good martial-centered magic items that give them the combat edge they deserve and the occasional neat utility/narrative tricks?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Yeah, turning accuracy into proficiency bonus was a good move but it effectively meant that any class that could swing more than once is doing so with the same efficacy as a fighter. 13th Age's decision to just make damage class-based and scale by level is something they should really consider for the next game. It makes balancing the Fighter waaaay easier. Just make the Fighter get bonus damage on top of their Extra Attack. The plus side of this is they can still give the Sword Bard, Bladesinger, etc. Extra Attack without the bonus damage.

You know what else gets me is that Fighters, Barbarians and Monks can't give themselves disadvantage to gain a benefit. That seems so incredibly obvious and they just didn't bother. Reckless Attack giving enemies advantage to attack you is a great mechanic but that's the extent of it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Nickoten posted:

You know what else gets me is that Fighters, Barbarians and Monks can't give themselves disadvantage to gain a benefit. That seems so incredibly obvious and they just didn't bother. Reckless Attack giving enemies advantage to attack you is a great mechanic but that's the extent of it.

Giving yourself Disadvantage to impose some other effect on your melee attack is something that I see come up a lot in houserules that try to inject a little more dynamism into combat, such as called shots or an AC penalty or some other similar debuff, but I don't think it actually works all that well because you end up reducing your hit chance by so much that you either don't hit, or the debuff isn't worth it, relative to just taking a normal attack, hitting, dealing damage, and ending the fight that much quicker.

You'd maybe want to do something like "all martial classes add double their proficiency bonus to their attack rolls" for this to work, so that, as with 3e, you can "spare" the attack bonus that you're dumping.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
During the beta thats how gwm worked. It led to the blind drunk pyro build and it was glorious.

Disadvantage is too overloaded for voluntary applications.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

My party did something pretty weird last session and now I'm kinda wondering how to handle this:
They have a halfling NPC traveling with them through the Underdark who has an old map his great grandpappy bequeathed to him that leads to a long lost tomb of a powerful sorcerer. They finally found the tomb, went in, and battled some specters. The halfling ended up taking a critical hit from one of the ghost's life drain attacks and it took him to 0 hp, killing him instantly. No cleric in the party, and none have access to resurrection spells yet anyway.

Earlier in the campaign, our halfling bard traded some rare mushrooms she found with some kuo-toa merchants for a mindflayer tadpole in a jar. She's been keeping it with her and occasionally tossing in some brain matter from drow, duergar, or whatever other creatures they ended up killing along the way. The party also ended up meeting a rogue mindflayer who was studying the faerzress in the underdark. The bard asked him how long it would take for her tadpole to grow up, and the friendly mindflayer explained how ceremorphosis works. The party was pretty grossed out and moved on.

So back to the battle with the ghosts, after the last specter was destroyed the bard quickly ran over to the dead halfling, unscrewed the lid from her jar, and poured the tadpole into his ear canal as everyone else at the table, including me, just stared in shock. It was getting late and I did not expect any of that to happen, so I ended the session on a cliffhanger, leaving their friend's fate until next time.
How should this work? I definitely want this to work, because I think it's awesome and hilarious. From my little bit of reading around, I haven't found anything that says halflings can't be hosts for illithid. How do mindflayers work when created outside a colony? Should he retain some of his old personality?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

As far as I know mindflayers require a living host to get the memories. So obviously you should have a stunted growth of some sort from the brain being fresh but dead.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Pussy Quipped posted:

How should this work? I definitely want this to work, because I think it's awesome and hilarious. From my little bit of reading around, I haven't found anything that says halflings can't be hosts for illithid. How do mindflayers work when created outside a colony? Should he retain some of his old personality?

How do you want it to work? It's been hand raised by the pc, that should give you some room to make what changes you want

Edit: Clearly they SHOULD be alive but freshly dead is probably fine, don't worry about it

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 5, 2018

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

That's awesome. My first reaction is to run a D&D version of Alien but with psionic blasts from the vents.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
amoral but well meaning baby illithid friend

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
have all the other mindflayers laugh at him for being short

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

lightrook posted:

On the other hand, "I never run out of magic, ever" is absolutely not equal to the fighter's "I do one more damage, on average, when I use a maneuver, which are still limited per encounter." I mean, if a fighter could use one or two maneuvers any time, all the time, without spending superiority dice or even an action, it still wouldn't really come close, although that might be a good start.

I am still more than a bit annoyed that they gave the bard sword subclass in Xanathar's maneuver-like abilities, and then as their subclass "capstone" they get to use them at-will by using a d6 instead of a d12. Compare that to the battlemaster "capstone" and it just hurts.

I've been meaning to write a homebrew supplement of "alternative class features" and porting that over for battlemasters is #1 on the list.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Toplowtech posted:

What was their problem with Divine arrow of faith doing basically d8 instead of d6 "sneak attack" level of damage but with a limited number of charges? The Aug 2 2013 playtest is quite good with flat extra damage as you level.

Basically the entire 'playtest' process consisted of taking anything cool anyone could do with a sword or a bow and nerfing the loving hell out of it.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Farg posted:

amoral but well meaning baby illithid friend

I'm just imagining a puppy who really wants to please mom and dad, but also wants to eat brains and shoot mind blasts at random when he's bored.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Conspiratiorist posted:

fairly sure that's not a thing, or else it would be a concentration spell

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A friendly little fellow with six face tentacles.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Tetracube posted:

fairly sure that's not a thing, or else it would be a concentration spell

That's what I see in the SRD under "Longer Casting Times", the quote is "When you cast a spell with a casting time longer than a single action or reaction, you must spend your action each turn casting the spell, and you must maintain your concentration while you do so." Incidentally using the Ready action to ready casting a spell also uses Concentration.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Magil Zeal posted:

That's what I see in the SRD under "Longer Casting Times", the quote is "When you cast a spell with a casting time longer than a single action or reaction, you must spend your action each turn casting the spell, and you must maintain your concentration while you do so." Incidentally using the Ready action to ready casting a spell also uses Concentration.
You are confusing concentration and Concentration. They're not the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Splicer posted:

You are confusing concentration and Concentration. They're not the same thing.

I know you're being facetious but I suppose I shouldn't have backspaced the (see “Concentration” below) part.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 5, 2018