Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

I will say that Hackmaster does have my favorite GM screen ever.

I've collected all of the Hacklopedia of Beasts for 4th edition and they are amazing. I recommend people pick those up if you love old school D&D taken to the Nth level in a humorous way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Evil Mastermind posted:

I will say that Hackmaster does have my favorite GM screen ever.

That is loving art. :stare:

And it even doubles as a 3D map of a city or dungeon!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I've collected all of the Hacklopedia of Beasts for 4th edition and they are amazing. I recommend people pick those up if you love old school D&D taken to the Nth level in a humorous way.

yea Hackmaster wins hands down for best fantasy monster manuals

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Hackmaster 5e is its own cool little fantasy heartbreaker based on Aces & Eights's per second count up system for combat. I like it, but its far afield enough from D&D to not have the charm of 4e's "AD&D, but with a lot of rules that make it better despite the parody density of rules"

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Steve Jackson Games is running a GURPS bundle. It seems like a kind of random collection of stuff and doesn't include any edition of the cores but I suppose if you're into GURPS you probably already have at least the basics handy, and the supplementary materials are the interesting reading.

It's also $50 which is heavily discounted from SJ's sticker price but still more expensive than other RPG bundles.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

occamsnailfile posted:

Steve Jackson Games is running a GURPS bundle. It seems like a kind of random collection of stuff and doesn't include any edition of the cores but I suppose if you're into GURPS you probably already have at least the basics handy, and the supplementary materials are the interesting reading.

It's also $50 which is heavily discounted from SJ's sticker price but still more expensive than other RPG bundles.

That bizarrely feels like it has to be some of their worst-selling digital titles for each release year, or close to it, tied to a bizarrely dubious "anniversary". I mean - GURPS Compendium I? What? Some of these are based off their reprint year, too, not their actual year of release...

I mean, I hope they do well enough to consider useful bundles in the future, and there are some good books in there (Celtic Myth, Infinite Worlds), but there's also a lot of stuff without its supporting material. Infinite Worlds without Time Travel? Psionic Campaigns without Psionic Powers? Cyberpunk Adventures without Cyberpunk? There's just no thought put to who you're supposed to use some of this stuff on its own in a melange that requires two different editions of the rules to utilize. "Let's try and sell the least salable" is the only common hook I can find here.

Some of their magazine bundles don't look bad as I flip around their site, even if those aren't time-limited offers. The full run of Roleplayer for $30 seems like a pretty good deal.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Usually these kinds of bundle sales are to help clear out overstocked/overprinted products from your warehouse that you will never sell out of at regular price, but these are PDF bundles with zero inventory costs so it's utterly baffling :shrug:

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, if it was a literal physical bundle I feel like it'd make more sense. But SJ Games traditionally has cleared out backstock or overstock through conventions and the like at heavy discount, so I'd be surprised if they had copies of Compendium I or Celtic Myth actually sitting around.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Alien Rope Burn posted:

There's just no thought put to who you're supposed to use some of this stuff on its own in a melange that requires two different editions of the rules to utilize.

SteveJacksonGames.txt

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Cartographer

Anyone have any strong opinions on Campaign Cartographer? Making maps is tough, so I'm wondering if this is worth getting.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
The main downside I'm seeing to that bundle is it's pretty loving expensive.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Cassa posted:

The main downside I'm seeing to that bundle is it's pretty loving expensive.

It is, but still way less expensive than it would be outside the bundle.

I've always been curious about them but I'm unlikely to ever play a game that needs good looking maps again, much less where it would make sense to put down that kind of money.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Zarick posted:

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/Cartographer

Anyone have any strong opinions on Campaign Cartographer? Making maps is tough, so I'm wondering if this is worth getting.

I have used it a fair amount. It is easier to make a higher grade of ugly maps with CC; nice maps are still tough. CC is too much work for session-to-session mapping (says I), but nice for set-piece maps or maps that will be used often, such as a main city or home base. You can also make your own map tiles.

There are easier and cheaper and less complex options out there.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

homullus posted:

There are easier and cheaper and less complex options out there.

Go on...

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

https://inkarnate.com/
http://pymapper.com/
http://www.rptools.net/toolbox/maptool/

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's also Hexographer and HexKit, which I can't link due to phoneposting.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Humble Bundle got a cartload of fifth edition adventures and stuff (3rd party)

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Delta Green is the newest Bundle of Holding:

$12.95 Tier:
Delta Green Agent's Handbook
Extraordinary Renditions
Tales From Failed Anatomies

Threshold Tier:
Delta Green Handler's Guide
A Night at the Opera
Kali Ghati
Delta Green Handler's Screen

Is this the version to get?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

Is this the version to get?

Yes, it's the latest edition and that's most of the published missions.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Worth it for any of the tiers above a buck?

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Yes, it's the latest edition and that's most of the published missions.

Agreed. This is almost all the material from the new edition for a low price.

The game rules are great - simple and lethal - and the art and writing in these is phenomenal. The Handler's Guide just came out in print, so this is a fresh release.

The scenarios in Night at the Opera are very strong too - clever takes on how the game plays out, rather than another deep one hunt.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

Drunk Tomato posted:

Worth it for any of the tiers above a buck?

Can't say for sure, as I haven't read it yet. That said, I have generally enjoyed Frog God/Necromancer Games stuff in the past as they tend to overlap with my preferences in D&D modules in that they're typically old schoolish 1e and Judge's Guild type stuff.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Delta Green 2.0, whatever you want to call it, has been really well done and written. All of the scenarios there are good as mentioned and there's a great deal of material slated to come out in the future so it will theoretically have support for a long time.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
http://bundleofholding.com/presents/ArsMagica5-2018

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/MythicEurope

Standard bundles seem pretty freaking good. Always wanted to play Ars Magica, but know I won't.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Ars Magica books at least are pretty good reads. Well, if you like RPG books that are kinda written like history textbooks.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Symbaroum is up on the Bundle of Holding, a nice grim fantasy RPG with no revisionist sexist bullshit and a setting that's more than just warhammer fantasy with the serial numbers filed off. System's pretty straightforwards, build-a-class out of abilities and a roll-under-stat D20 core mechanic. Haven't played it yet but I like it so far.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

Symbaroum is up on the Bundle of Holding, a nice grim fantasy RPG with no revisionist sexist bullshit and a setting that's more than just warhammer fantasy with the serial numbers filed off. System's pretty straightforwards, build-a-class out of abilities and a roll-under-stat D20 core mechanic. Haven't played it yet but I like it so far.

I've been playing it an can recommend. I suggest using this house rule if you do

quote:

Melee Accuracy is average of Strength + Quick rounded up.

Ranged Accuracy is average of Quick + Vigilant rounded down.

Abilities that replace accuracy only apply to half of the equation. Iron fist removes the need for Quick, while Sixth Sense does the same. Other abilities such as Dominate or Feint only replace one stat in the equation (player's choice).

I'd probably go with giving players 75 points to distribute between stats (upping the average slightly with the removal of the obvious dump stat.)

the stuff in the advanced rule book is really cool, although a couple of the races probably reveal too much setting info

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Humble Bundle currently has The One Ring RPG published by Cubicle Seven, which has a couple of mentions on the Fatal & Friends thread, but, you know, positive ones. The deal is still good for 7 days!

:zombie: seven days :ghost:

Brand new is a bunch of board-games-made-into-digital-games, including Ticket to Ride, Pathfinder Adventures and Talisman! One buck gets you Ticket to Ride & Expansions, Mysterium and... Sentinels of the Multiverse? :shrug: Android versions of TtR and Mysterium come with, too.

Currently, paying just under $6 gets you Talisman plus Expansions, Carcassonne, an expansion for SotM and Pathfinder Adventures. PA is D&D but it's a card game - i.e. if you can't read "d20" without 'Nam flashbacks, you should still be alright. Plus, Android version of Talisman .

A full :10bux: gets you Armello, which isn't a boardgame as far as I'm aware but I hear it's good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The One Ring is literally one of the best games ever written and $15 for the entire line is a loving steal.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
DTRPG is having a sale on GUMSHOE system games right now (Oct-5-2018).

Trail of Cthulhu for 21.24
Night's Black Agents for 21.21
Ashen Stars for 21.21
TimeWatch for 18.02
The Esoterrorists for 3.74
Fear Itself for 3.74

Fall of Delta Green is also listed as being part of the sale, but isn't discounted right now as I write this. I assume it's a bug.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

You got me real excited for this before I read the words around it.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

And humble bundle got an oWOD Vampire set for whoever is into that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

By popular demand posted:

And humble bundle got an oWOD Vampire set for whoever is into that.

Getting at the least Revised-era Vampire and Guide to the Camarilla for a buck is pretty cool.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's also the Hurricane Florence Relief Bundle. $25 for a bunch of core games. I'm only familiar with Icons, which is a superhero game designed for quick-and-easy Golden/Silver Age style stuff. Assembled Edition is the fixed version that GMS isn't involved with.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Accursed had a a goon writer and was about Universal Monsters rebelling against the witches that made them, it was pretty neat.

Judgement Day has me curious because...

Judgement Day posted:

Inquisitor Steel stepped out of the Land Rover and onto the pavement. “You are blocking my passage,” he told the beast.

The beast let out a guttural scream that shook the SUV.

The demon was quite large. Both Inquisitor Steel and Andreson were slightly over six-feet tall, and this demon was at least two-feet taller than them. Inquisitor Steel grabbed his platinum scimitars, sheathing them immediately. Andreson, Wurth, and Mason exchanged their clips for platinum bullets. Frazier grabbed a pair of platinum knives.

The five of them stepped in front of the Land Rover, forming a line between it and the demon.

“Prepare to be my dinner humans!” the demon yelled out.

“I’m not a human,” replied Inquisitor Steel. “I’m an inquisitor. And you, demon, have just made a big mistake.”

:allears:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

LashLightning posted:

Humble Bundle currently has The One Ring RPG published by Cubicle Seven, which has a couple of mentions on the Fatal & Friends thread, but, you know, positive ones. The deal is still good for 7 days!

:zombie: seven days :ghost:

Brand new is a bunch of board-games-made-into-digital-games, including Ticket to Ride, Pathfinder Adventures and Talisman! One buck gets you Ticket to Ride & Expansions, Mysterium and... Sentinels of the Multiverse? :shrug: Android versions of TtR and Mysterium come with, too.

Currently, paying just under $6 gets you Talisman plus Expansions, Carcassonne, an expansion for SotM and Pathfinder Adventures. PA is D&D but it's a card game - i.e. if you can't read "d20" without 'Nam flashbacks, you should still be alright. Plus, Android version of Talisman .

A full :10bux: gets you Armello, which isn't a boardgame as far as I'm aware but I hear it's good.

Armello is a digital board game with a King possessed by evil forces and the players either trying to save him or kill him and gain all the power. It's very pretty and a lot of fun even solitaire.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

DriveThruRPG's Trick or Treat Halloween Free Stuff Thing is now up. The ones I've found so far:

Kids on Bikes: Core Rulebook found on the Halloween sale page in the form of a pumpkin, a fairly recent game about your child protagonists from E.T and Stranger Things and so on so forth having adventures.

You're gonna want to sign in and head to the Newsletters and Follow your Favorites page and click the witch's pointy hat for Malicious Mischief, a supplement to add the dark, gothic trickster versions of fairies to your Shadow of the Demonlord games.

Checking out your library and clicking the pumpkin waaay down at the bottom gets you Monsters and Other Childish Things: Curriculum of Conspiracy, a game setting and adventure putting your kid and their unfortunately-not-imaginated friend deal with being the new kid at a fancy school.

I will update if I find any more through my searches.

Edit:

Looking up the history of DriveThruRPG and their slow but sure possible-monopoly of RPGs on the internet in their About page, clicking the pumpkin gets you Head Shot! Zombie Apocalypse Action Roleplaying a set of add-on rules to... err... well it says it's compatible to Cortex Prime, but isn't stand alone and uses rules from Cortex Plus Hacker's Guide, but there is meant to be a SRD available... somewhere... I can't find it on the first page of Google, so have fun hunting! Also there's an additional free in the form of Head Shot: Takes Talent.

Edit, Again:

If you look to your recent history on the front page, you'll find a witches hat that gives you Fear Can't Hurt You, a Halloween themed scenario for ELEMENTAL, an rpg for any theme. The scenario is already PWYW, but you might as well read through both it and the free Quickstart, One Page Rules and Character Sheet and see if you can make a fun evening of it.

Edit, Once Again:

For the sixth treat, look upon your sordid past in the Account History page and click the pumpkin for The Demonic Interference at New Ritupis Church an adventure for 2nd Edition D&D but it can no doubt be hammered into B/X, Rules Cyclopedia, Gold & Glory or 5th Edition with enough force. A village needs a new church, some years after the last one burnt down, a new priest is trying to get one built but wouldn't you know it - it gets knocked down and scattered about each night. "Several plot layers", some of which require roleplaying and speaking to NPCs to solve rather than just stabbing everything in sight.

Final, Probably, Edit:

It's worth checking the same pages on DriveThruFiction, Comics and Cards as they include some RPG-related freebies too, including a bunch of neat third party stuff for Curse of Strahd.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 18, 2018

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Thanks for the listing, LashLightning!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
GMT games has a 50% off sale of all of their in stock GMT games right now. Its the first sale they've had in 3 years. Go get some coin games. I think the coupon code is GMTSale2018 but doublecheck their newsletter.

nesbit37 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 18, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!
Bundle of Holding brought back the Shadow of the Demon Lord Pack:

https://bundleofholding.com/presents/2018DemonLord