Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not sure if the whole show will be good but that was a fun episode 1 for Zombieland Saga. Takanashi going all out for rock on the soundtrack and slipping in Precure motifs also works for an amazing audio experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the next episode preview revealed that episode 2 will be about zombie idols taking on hip hop. there's no guarantee that it will be good throughout, but that's a very promising start.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Oh yeah I'm gonna keep watching as that episode did a great job selling the show. And did a much better job selling it's premise than Between the Sea and the Sky did

Edit: Also It looks like one of the zombies was the lead idol for the group that Sakura looked up too

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 4, 2018

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Watched the trailer...

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

surprise hit of the season
:stonklol:

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I wachted some anime.

Between the Sea and the Sky: Dumb concept that still manages to feel trite, boring archetype characters, unfunny comedy. Pass.

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru: Good first impression, cast of characters seems fun and diverse, looking forward to more.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm not sure what I was expecting from Zombie Land Saga, but it sure wasn't a black comedy about an extremely strange man forming a screamo idol unit out the shambling corpses of 5 undead idols.

Sure. Why not? I'm game.

Guess I should update idol thread...

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Pretty ho-hum season so far. I didn't enjoy Zombieland anywhere near as much as I thought I would, it doesn't push the absurdity of its premise quite enough, and Run Like the Wind and Bunnygirl were both snoozers. Other than JoJo, Thunderbolt and Titan, this fall looks like a prime chance to catch up on stuff I missed.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 5, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
OK, Zombie Land Saga EP. 1 Trip report:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDaDEi9KF0E

Zetsubou-san posted:

That was a drat strong first episode that that I feel Wark Say should watch for various reasons.
I never knew I needed full-on ham performances out of Mamoru Miyano outside of like Okarin Hououin Kyouma, but here we are. I wanna see Death Musume next episode REPRESENT!

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Ranzear posted:

Watched the trailer...

:stonklol:

The PV is missleading, see also this post:

Spiritus Nox posted:

I'm not sure what I was expecting from Zombie Land Saga, but it sure wasn't a black comedy about an extremely strange man forming a screamo idol unit out the shambling corpses of 5 undead idols.

Sure. Why not? I'm game.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Bunny Girl anime is good. Marrying A Fur Beast anime was too short even for a short.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Sure. Why not? I'm game.

Just watched the first episode and okay yup I am totally on board. This really was a lot different than what the PV was selling.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I watched some more anime.

Bunny Girl Senpai: I was going to give this a hard pass based on the title alone, but I decided to give it a try after it got some buzz in this thread. It's pretty good! The writing's snappy, and the central mystery is interesting enough to hook me for at least two more episodes. Someone in this thread described it as a mix of SNAFU and Monogatari, and it does feel like a conscious effort to rip off one or both of those series, but I'm willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for now. I just hope that it doesn't turn into as much of a harem show as the OP suggest.

Zombieland Saga: This was really good. Like others have said, it is quite different from what the PV suggested, but it was hilarious and I am 100% on board. The dialog between the MC and the producer was already really funny, and I look forward to seeing what the other characters bring to the table.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Holy poo poo, the first episode of Zombieland Saga is promising.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'd been looking forward to seeing how Bloom Into You would hold up on a production level for quite a while, and I'm really delighted with how the first ep turned out. If they keep up that level of quality throughout they're gonna have a good one on their hands.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
People who read the light novel have described bunny senpai as darling in the franxx except 30 times worse.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

can't wait for the fuckin mechs to appear

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Fangz posted:

People who read the light novel have described bunny senpai as darling in the franxx except 30 times worse.

That's a shame. I didn't find the first episode too bad so I might just drop ship the moment things start getting really stupid.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I also just finished the first episode of Bloom Into You and I'm a bit colder on it. I found the animation to be pretty sterile, and there were some weird shot choices (a strange amount of first person scenes in the first half?). They would also cut scenes short, move onto the next scene, and then in the next scene, flashback to the last scene and continue from where it left off. Sometimes they wouldn't even do that and would just end scenes early, like when our two love interests meet, they talk for a bit, and are clearly going to keep interacting because they're working together, but then the scene ends and we're later in the day? Like no what happened, go back!

I also am not vibing off any of the characters yet and am really not feeling any sparks between our two leads. They both struggle with finding love and someone they really connect with and I'm cool with that, I've totally had to turn down people I wasn't interested in and that's a tough thing to deal with, but suddenly our deuteragonist thinks she's falling in love with the lead and confesses....and then they wave it off and skip to the next day?

I guess I'm just kinda confused? I'm sure a lot of this is just first episode establishing stuff, but I'm a little frustrated since I've heard a ton about this, but I felt stuff like Citrus which had it's flaws and even Run Like The Wind this season got me hooked on the character relationships quickly in the first episode and left me wanting more in a good way. I dunno, I'm gonna stick with it for a few more episodes but I felt this was a weird episode, I dunno maybe the manga would be more my speed, or im weird idk

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Speaking of Run Like The Wind, is it actually about running or is it about running like Grand Blue is about diving (i.e. focused on university stupidity)?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I think it's more sports focused? It feels like it anyway with the "rival" type having a leg injury he's still getting over. It's based off a novel so I don't know anyone who knows the source material

also that show is getting 23 episodes which is way more than i thought

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fangz posted:

Really? It's from the Pet Girl of the Sakura Dorm and Gundam IBO Steel Moon guy, so I thought it'd be decent in that "don't rock the boat" kind of way.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'm not personally watching Run Like The Wind, but everything I've heard about it places it in kind of a Free!-esque Sports Character Drama sort of niche.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Gurazeni is still Gurazeni, although the animation was a bit worse this ep

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
wait its actually Run With The Wind, I'm sorry for misinforming you all

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

I also am not vibing off any of the characters yet and am really not feeling any sparks between our two leads. They both struggle with finding love and someone they really connect with and I'm cool with that, I've totally had to turn down people I wasn't interested in and that's a tough thing to deal with, but suddenly our deuteragonist thinks she's falling in love with the lead and confesses....and then they wave it off and skip to the next day?

I guess I'm just kinda confused? I'm sure a lot of this is just first episode establishing stuff, but I'm a little frustrated since I've heard a ton about this, but I felt stuff like Citrus which had it's flaws and even Run Like The Wind this season got me hooked on the character relationships quickly in the first episode and left me wanting more in a good way. I dunno, I'm gonna stick with it for a few more episodes but I felt this was a weird episode, I dunno maybe the manga would be more my speed, or im weird idk

The weird, no-chemistry relationship is intended.

The premise of the manga is that both main characters have a weird, unhealthy attitude to relationships, and Nanami suddenly deciding she's into Yuu is part of that. Pretty much 80% of what happens in the manga is exploring why Nanami thinks that way, and it takes a good ~15 chapters until you have enough context for her behaviour to make sense and for their relationship to not feel odd.

So all that stuff is absolutely the point, though I haven't seen the episode so I have no idea how much ground the show is going to cover. I suspect it'll end around chapter 30 because that's the most natural break-point in the manga so far, so you can probably expect it to take anywhere between 5 and 7 episodes until things start falling into place.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Lemon-Lime posted:

The premise of the manga is that both main characters have a weird, unhealthy attitude to relationships, and Nanami suddenly deciding she's into Yuu is part of that. Pretty much 80% of what happens in the manga is exploring why Nanami thinks that way, and it takes a good ~15 chapters until you have enough context for her behaviour to make sense and for their relationship to not feel odd.

So all that stuff is absolutely the point, though I haven't seen the episode so I have no idea how much ground the show is going to cover. I suspect it'll end around chapter 30 because that's the most natural break-point in the manga so far, so you can probably expect it to take anywhere between 5 and 7 episodes until things start falling into place.

Eh, I'd say you get at least a decent idea of what Nanami's deal is by the end of volume 1 - they'll probably get there by the end of ep 2 or 3 IMO. They go into more detail and stuff after that but there's a very specific scene I'm thinking of where Yuu goes "Oh I think I get it now."

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Fangz posted:

this take seems too hot to trust

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

and more notably is so vague as to be completely unhelpful

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
*points at your post* Experts have said this is like Darling in the FranXX, but worse

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Lemon-Lime posted:

Okay interesting! That's good to hear, thanks.

Yeah I might switch to the manga, the presentation of the anime might be doing more harm than good

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Colonel posted:

*points at your post* Experts have said this is like Darling in the FranXX, but worse

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Haha what the christ, this was not what I expected Zombieland Saga to be about.

I love it.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Davincie posted:

can't wait for the fuckin mechs to appear

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Expect My Mom posted:

Okay interesting! That's good to hear, thanks.

Yeah I might switch to the manga, the presentation of the anime might be doing more harm than good

FWIW if you decide to read the manga and find yourself still on the fence, I'd say the end of volume 2 is a good make-or-break moment. One of my favorite scenes in the manga, kinda crystallizes the story's key dynamic for the next like 3-4 volumes. If you get that deep in and aren't sold then you probably aren't gonna get sold.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Fangz posted:

i uh, really hope this is not the case

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean darling in the franxx wasn't exactly a show unified by one specifically bad thing as it was a show that was a jumble of things that ended up leaning towards being a gigantic mess so it's a pretty meaningless statement to make towards something that isn't immediately apparently anything like darling in the franxx

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
there's 30 times less pegging in the bunny girl show

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
was there pegging in franxx

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The Colonel posted:

i mean darling in the franxx wasn't exactly a show unified by one specifically bad thing as it was a show that was a jumble of things that ended up leaning towards being a gigantic mess so it's a pretty meaningless statement to make towards something that isn't immediately apparently anything like darling in the franxx

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

The Colonel posted:

was there pegging in franxx

thirty times zero is still zero