Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Magil Zeal posted:

That's what I see in the SRD under "Longer Casting Times", the quote is "When you cast a spell with a casting time longer than a single action or reaction, you must spend your action each turn casting the spell, and you must maintain your concentration while you do so."

Dang, I forgot about that since it's been so long since I used my high level wizard. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Magil Zeal posted:

I know you're being facetious but I suppose I shouldn't have backspaced the (see “Concentration” below) part.
I was actually just being wrong

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Magil Zeal posted:

That's what I see in the SRD under "Longer Casting Times", the quote is "When you cast a spell with a casting time longer than a single action or reaction, you must spend your action each turn casting the spell, and you must maintain your concentration while you do so." Incidentally using the Ready action to ready casting a spell also uses Concentration.

oh, they just put that somewhere else in the book instead of under the goddamn concentration section. thanks wizards

whatever just use a simulacrum or another person

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Edit n/m

Gharbad the Weak fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 5, 2018

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Methwood

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Cant wait to have an adventure in Ohio

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Tetracube posted:

oh, they just put that somewhere else in the book instead of under the goddamn concentration section. thanks wizards

It probably sucks rear end as part of an online rules thing or in PDF, but yeah, the book's not that bad here. Both sections are visually close together on the same two page spread.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I just ran a 10 hour long time loop, Groundhog's Day-esque one shot for a few players and I feel like my brain has melted from trying to keep track of everything please help

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

CubeTheory posted:

I just ran a 10 hour long time loop, Groundhog's Day-esque one shot for a few players and I feel like my brain has melted from trying to keep track of everything please help

If it's over then why do you need help? Are you sure it's over?

For real though, that sounds great, give us details.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CubeTheory posted:

Next time you all sit down together launch into the intro again.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Control Volume posted:

Cant wait to have an adventure in Ohio

Hey now — We’ve long since dropped meth for prescription opiods and heroin.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I'm making a halfling divination wizard with the luck feat, for maximum rerolling. Will being at 16 int until level 8 be a big problem or am I good

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

oh poo poo someone else said it, glad i didn't have to

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Oh yeah, meth is so five years ago. It's all pills here in Ohio now.

When I get off work I'll post a little write up about my time loop campaign

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

CubeTheory posted:

Oh yeah, meth is so five years ago. It's all pills here in Ohio now.

When I get off work I'll post a little write up about my time loop campaign

That would be awesome. I've wanted to do one since that arc on TAZ but never got around to planning a scenario that'd work.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I did an encounter where the party was fighting the same monster, but half the party was about a minute backwards in time from the other half of the party. It was confusing.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
. wrong thread

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Kaysette posted:

That would be awesome. I've wanted to do one since that arc on TAZ but never got around to planning a scenario that'd work.

Yeah, it was the TAZ arc that inspired me and I based it *loosely* on that. The campaign was set in a fantasy old west city, they were sent there to find a relic of great power, and it ended in the same chase encounter. I had to change the mechanics significantly though to make it work and also to prevent brute forcing. Here is how it worked:

Once a person entered the area around the city, they were stuck in the time loop.

The players were given a magic pocket watch that protected them in a limited fashion from the time loop, basically just preserving their memories.

Time looped not at a set time, but when a certain set of parameters were met, specifically when 4 or more NPCs and/or players were killed. This allowed them to try and prevent deaths to extend the amount of time they had to operate.

Whenever an NPC or player died, a beam of light shot into the air that could only be seen by the person holding the pocket watch. This allowed them to try and identify where deaths had occurred so they could prevent them on the next loop.

Every time they looped, the pocket watch began to chime, starting with twelve chimes. Each time they looped, it chimed one less time, and they correctly assumed that was how many loops they had to finish the campaign. Twelve was more than enough, I think they only used 7.

The villain was also looping, and also keeping his memory. He did not become aware of their presence until towards the end of the campaign, and it blew their minds a little when things started changing that they didn't change.

It was written as a one shot, so the basic elements were rather simple. The players had to figure out where in a massive mine system the relic was located, and then assemble three parts of a very powerful arcane gun to destroy the relic with. The parts were in various places in the town, which they also had to discover (a bandit had one, the mayor's assistant had one, and the third was in a safety deposit box at the bank).

I think the players really enjoyed it, and I think that limiting the loops and making deaths the loop trigger kept the players from just murdering everyone and/or brute forcing puzzles.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

How much did you have in the way of notes?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

dreadmojo posted:

How much did you have in the way of notes?

I ran it paperless. I try to always run that way if possible because I think it keeps the flow better. I just spend a lot of time prepping, going over the material in my head over and over until I know it super well. That's why I tend to run one shots, it's easier to keep track of everything in a smaller environment.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I"m DMing the DnD game in imp zone and it's my first time dming. Besides reading the handbook is there any tips I should know? I want to be able to show maps and player positions on them and such. Is there a tool i can use for that?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If it's your first time GMing the best tip I'd have is to read a written adventure. While I would suggest starting with a written adventure before trying your own stuff, it's not necessary to do that. You don't need to use the adventure you look at but what a written adventure will show you is a great deal of the kinds of things you'll think about preparing to make the game work.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Average Bear posted:

I"m DMing the DnD game in imp zone and it's my first time dming. Besides reading the handbook is there any tips I should know? I want to be able to show maps and player positions on them and such. Is there a tool i can use for that?

Roll20 is literally a free online virtual tabletop with a bunch of DnD support that you can draw maps on and add tokens to drag around and roll dice.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

bewilderment posted:

Roll20 is literally a free online virtual tabletop with a bunch of DnD support that you can draw maps on and add tokens to drag around and roll dice.

That sounds perfect, thanks!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/248189 Can't comment on balance yet but this is cool as gently caress and like everything I wanted Warlock to be.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
A quick glance through it and it absolutely does not do what I wanted the Warlock to do, but that was obvious as soon as I saw that they had spells.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Ryuujin posted:

A quick glance through it and it absolutely does not do what I wanted the Warlock to do, but that was obvious as soon as I saw that they had spells.

Well, what if we just give spells to everybody?

Now, what if we just call them at-will, encounter, or daily powers?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Finster Dexter posted:

Well, what if we just give spells to everybody?

Now, what if we just call them at-will, encounter, or daily powers?

next you're going to suggest hit points don't represent meat being cloven directly from a character's flank and then that's the slippery slope down to damage on a miss and other blasphemies!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

next you're going to suggest hit points don't represent meat being cloven directly from a character's flank.

That's already the case.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ok crazy question but would it be possible to just rip out the spell system and just replace it with magic skill checks and magic attack rolls?

I've got some ideas like maybe replacing spell slots with a sort of spellcraft dice that you can use to boost your roll. Maybe broad spell types like say, fire or charm, that ether tag a damage type or condition the spell inflicts so wizards could possess more of them and other classes would gain other benefits for their limited pool. Or maybe there could be basic spells that are just damage or a simple buff/debuff and master spells could have more complex features and can be treated like magic items taught by reclusive sages or magical beings.

I don't have a ton of experience with magic in 5e but it was definitely the thing I disliked the most about running 3.5/pathfinder. I just want a way to streamline bookkeeping while also keeping spellcasting fun for players. Any ideas?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

OmanyteJackson posted:

I don't have a ton of experience with magic in 5e but it was definitely the thing I disliked the most about running 3.5/pathfinder. I just want a way to streamline bookkeeping while also keeping spellcasting fun for players. Any ideas?

The fact that spell Slots are all spontaneous helps. (As in you don't have to prepare Spells to slots. Any of your slots can be spent to cast any spell you know of its level. Do you know the Sorcerer from 3e/Pathfinder. It's like that in 5e for all casters.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

The fact that spell Slots are all spontaneous helps. (As in you don't have to prepare Spells to slots. Any of your slots can be spent to cast any spell you know of its level. Do you know the Sorcerer from 3e/Pathfinder. It's like that in 5e for all casters.

I'm familiar with the changes following the development when it was DnD Next. It's better from what I've read. but it's still a pain having to manage the spell lists. I was thinking of doing this mostly so handling custom npc casters would be simpler but if it's interesting enough maybe I'll make it an option for players too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

That's already the case.

The joke was that grognards think it does. Thank you for demonstrating.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

OmanyteJackson posted:

Ok crazy question but would it be possible to just rip out the spell system and just replace it with magic skill checks and magic attack rolls?

I've got some ideas like maybe replacing spell slots with a sort of spellcraft dice that you can use to boost your roll. Maybe broad spell types like say, fire or charm, that ether tag a damage type or condition the spell inflicts so wizards could possess more of them and other classes would gain other benefits for their limited pool. Or maybe there could be basic spells that are just damage or a simple buff/debuff and master spells could have more complex features and can be treated like magic items taught by reclusive sages or magical beings.

can you be more specific in what you're hoping to achieve? The game already supports spell attack rolls, and it's also possible to convert "save-based" spells into "spell attack rolls" by inverting the spell DC vs saving throw relationship

anything beyond that would require ripping out a lot of the system, which is theoretically possible if you're willing to put in the elbow grease, but I can't really grasp your aims

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

can you be more specific in what you're hoping to achieve? The game already supports spell attack rolls, and it's also possible to convert "save-based" spells into "spell attack rolls" by inverting the spell DC vs saving throw relationship

anything beyond that would require ripping out a lot of the system, which is theoretically possible if you're willing to put in the elbow grease, but I can't really grasp your aims

Okay so you know how there are 18 general skills, 30 something listed weapons and 362 named spells in the PH? I'm trying to think of ways to close that gap.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I'm about to run the Waterdeep book at a table that has two total newbies trying the game out for the first time, and people have been making jokes about rolling penguins and other weird animals so now one of the sidequests in the middle section of the book is going to be them going to see a play in Waterdeep and I'm gonna hand them their stupid animal dream characters as the Dramatis Personae and we'll see what loving happens.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arivia posted:

The joke was that grognards think it does. Thank you for demonstrating.

What? I was just saying that HP does not represent Meat.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

What? I was just saying that HP does not represent Meat.

The joke was that grognards say it does.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Beep boop show me more of this hu-man thing called "jokes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the easiest way to cut down the number of spells is to get rid of leveled spells as a concept, but keep slot levels so casters can mostly be unchanged. Attack spells get more powerfull/more targets with higher level slots as usual. More complex/powerful spells like Raise Dead or Planar Ally can be treated like magic items so they can be more narrow of an effect. for everything else, just treat it like a new skill.

As an example, say combine pretty much all spells of the divination school Into one spell called Divination, you cast it and you get a hint of the future, read someone's thoughts, or identify if magic is present. dungeon world has a move called Discern Realities that is basically that.

So you guys think it would be possible to reduce the number of spells in 5e to say, 30~50 while maintaining a comparable amount of utility?