Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Look Sir Droids posted:

The Kav op-ed was for an audience of one, John Roberts, who is probably too politically astute to be fooled by that. It’s also a bullshit apology because he was apologizing for his emotions, not the brazen political hackery in his prepared statement he said he wrote the day before. He’s arguing for manslaughter when he already admitted to murder.

I agree with what MSM said about decorum. The partisanship was always there. I disagree that it’s no big deal if the curtain gets drawn away. The decorum is what made it function as “well” as it did. Without it it’s just going to get worse.

EDIT: The other justices can’t tell Kav to gently caress off, but they can neutralize him with strategic votes. The only one that would possibly do that is Roberts. Alito, Thomas, and Gorsuch don’t care.

the kav op-ed was more about his own legitimacy and power. the more illegitimate he, personally, is, the easier it is for democrats to pack the court in response to the supreme court acting as a republican super-legislature. so he needs to get back to trying to appear neutral instead of a republican partisan - not in actions, in words - because the more the public perceives him as a republican partisan, the more likely it is that his power to act as one gets effectively taken away.

this is why, i think, roberts cares so much about 'legitimacy' and tends to set up decisions ahead of time instead of crashing right through - because he knows that if he loses it, the court ultimately is easy to ignore or neuter if the public no longer views the court as legitimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
If there's one upside to all this, it's that my own hopes of being nominated to SCOTUS have been rekindled.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Discendo Vox posted:

If there's one upside to all this, it's that my own hopes of being nominated to SCOTUS have been rekindled.

:same:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Its a fun project, to go back through your own history and try to guess what might come up against you.

I'm pretty sure I'd get WRONGFULLY ACCUSED of stealing some street signs in my youth.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Pook Good Mook posted:

It's not about actually getting him to recuse himself. It's so Democrats are constantly reminded why you show up on election day.

Can we also talk about how Kavanaugh appears to either be dumb as hell or think we all are? His op-ed that says he was "emotional" in a loving prepared statement?

Emotional is code for drunk.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
The who "everyone gets in bar fights" thing was the funniest part of the Kav hearing.
I've always had to defuse bar fights because I'm loving huge and they're always tiny, so if I did "win" I'd probably go to jail even as the non-primary aggressor.
And if I lost it would be hella embarassing
Seriously, if you can't talk your way out of a bar fight, especially when drunk, what kind of lawyer are you?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

nm posted:

The who "everyone gets in bar fights" thing was the funniest part of the Kav hearing.
I've always had to defuse bar fights because I'm loving huge and they're always tiny, so if I did "win" I'd probably go to jail even as the non-primary aggressor.
And if I lost it would be hella embarassing
Seriously, if you can't talk your way out of a bar fight, especially when drunk, what kind of lawyer are you?

Kavanaugh has never "lawyered" once in his entire career.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I stole a car once and drove it around, but I parked it back where I found it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

I stole a car once and drove it around, but I parked it back where I found it.

I've dreamed about doing this since seeing an rear end in a top hat double park a Maserati and leave it running while he went into a coffee shop

You're my hero

I've done stuff I'm not gonna admit to on here woo baby. Someone hire me so I can tell you in person about my funny shenanigans

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Our favorite prank was driving around all night stealing alarm signs like these

from everyone's yard and then putting them all in one idiot's yard.

Also drinking BEER in random cul de sacs and wooded roads. A bunch of house parties of which I can remember maybe three, and I couldn't possibly tell you everyone that was there or whose house it was. Also driving my car like a complete rear end in a top hat and being the kid who could consistently do a reverse 180 (only crashed once!)

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I once drove past a stop sign on an empty road without coming to a complete stop. Yes this was the only time I to my knowledge did anything illegal. Yes, there was a police car there and yes, I was pulled over and fined.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

Phil Moscowitz posted:

A bunch of house parties of which I can remember maybe three, and I couldn't possibly tell you everyone that was there or whose house it was.

What's it like being a rapist nominated to the supreme court?????

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

from everyone's yard and then putting them all in one idiot's yard.

LO loving L

Our newspaper one time published an article about the rash of "dozens" of Halloween pumpkins that got smashed overnight. We clipped that one and saved it.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
I listened to a music on youtube once
or twice

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nice piece of fish posted:

I once drove past a stop sign on an empty road without coming to a complete stop. Yes this was the only time I to my knowledge did anything illegal. Yes, there was a police car there and yes, I was pulled over and fined.

I believe this because you are norweigian.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

I believe this because you are norweigian.

It was stupid too because I was just rushing to get to the store before they closed the beer sale (beer sale is illegal after six in the evening). I did not get any beer either. But the worst part? The absolute worst part was that I was driving a Miata.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

blarzgh posted:

LO loving L

Our newspaper one time published an article about the rash of "dozens" of Halloween pumpkins that got smashed overnight. We clipped that one and saved it.

I probably should feel pretty bad for the construction workers that had to come to their sites in the morning to discover their port-o-johns all flipped over but I don't really

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Vox Nihili posted:

Goddamn biglaw churn is insane. I've only been here a bit over a year since lateraling and half of the associates I've worked with have bailed. It seems like the hardest workers are the first to leave, too.

Yeah see this is why I try my hardest to coast.

As soon as you start to apply your brain and add substantive comments senior associates and mid levels start coming out of the woodwork to put you on deals.

Thread recommendation: the salaryman thread in GBS. Someone always has it worse.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Discendo Vox posted:

I specifically want to see AR’s perspective, given some of the poo poo she’s talked about getting from opposing counsel.

Sorry. Late to the party. I need to see the fighting words.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Again. Late to the party. But if it helps, fish, I sit on a grievance panel.

“We find probable cause that the subject attorney violated rule whatever. We further find the likelihood of reoccurrence is exceptionally low. We recommend discipline in the form of a private unreported reprimand”

Text of reprimand: bad lawyer. Bad! Good human! Good!

In other news. Yesterday I was in my office until 7 working with a victim’s family. Hard enough trying to find things to say that aren’t trite bullshit. Having to do it via interpreter blows.

Then this morning I got to watch firms I hate threatened with sanctions. It didn’t make me “happy” but at least I don’t want to spend the rest of the day in fetal position crying.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Until 7? How awful.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

gvibes posted:

Until 7? How awful.

Lol

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

gently caress you.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

7 am

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

It was stupid too because I was just rushing to get to the store before they closed the beer sale (beer sale is illegal after six in the evening). I did not get any beer either. But the worst part? The absolute worst part was that I was driving a Miata.

Why aren't you in AI?
Also I thought ya'll drive teslas because VW polos cost 250k usd.

AR, I sympathize. I was at work until 5:45 PM tonight, and it was terrible.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Less the time and more what was being done. But. You know. To all those who shuffle paper, bill, and toil
into the night, I’m sure it’s as emotionally and spiritually draining as showing autopsy photos to the woman who lost her sister, while her brothers keep their mother in the hallway. Then trying to explain to them why he’s allowed to plead not guilty and all the nuance of the criminal justice system. Via interpreter.

But hey. You were in the office until whenever doing... whatever it is that you do. I salute you.

And also gently caress you.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Well, as I learned yesterday from Mitch McConnell, innocent until proven guilty is a keystone of our shared national principles.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

quote:

Dear Prudence,
I recently started my first year of part-time law school. I enrolled primarily because of how much money I hoped I could make as a lawyer. I’d been feeling rather aimless, a bit insecure regarding my job (I work as a contractor), and uncertain whether I’d ever make enough to do more than live hand-to-mouth in my very expensive city. I just started school, and I hate it. I hate that I’m putting between 40 and 60 hours per week into something I don’t love (on top of the 45-plus hours I put into my job). I hate that I’ve had to give up cooking, that I can’t see friends or family, and that I abandoned my writing group, yoga, and other hobbies. I hate that I’m not happy anymore. I’m numb and jittery, half asleep, or severely depressed. Do I hate the subject matter? Let me give you a proper lawyer’s answer: It depends. But do I love it? Do I want to spend the rest of my life reading hundred-page cases and trying to glean a rule from them? Things could get better. I know it’s a great opportunity and I should be grateful. However, in addition to the insane workload, most early-career lawyers actually don’t make much more (and some make much less) than I do, and I’m worried I’ll never learn to love it and will then be stuck in an unsatisfying career. At the end of the day, I miss my old life. I just want to be happy again. But is that enough of a reason to quit? Should I?
—Halfhearted Law Student

Then Prudence gives surprisingly good advice. https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/10/dear-prudence-sexual-harassment-parents-friend-advice.html

I guess “don’t go, die alone” could be a new #slatepitch

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 6, 2018

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

yronic heroism posted:

Then Prudence gives surprisingly good advice. https://slate.com/human-interest/2018/10/dear-prudence-sexual-harassment-parents-friend-advice.html

I guess “don’t go, die alone” could be a new #slatepitch

quote:

"“I just want to be happy again” is a very good reason to quit something that makes you miserable and that you’ve only just started."
:stonklol:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

gvibes posted:

Until 7? How awful.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Starting at the clock on the wall and rolling your eyes as the crying, bereft mother refuses to get the message. It's half past six, lady, this isn't a hotel!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Starting at the clock on the wall and rolling your eyes as the crying, bereft mother refuses to get the message. It's half past six, lady, this isn't a hotel!

I know you probably think you’re being funny but this really isn’t something I feel like joking about. Please stop.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 6, 2018

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Quick, back to elf sex!

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Tough emotional cases are the worst. I sometimes hate feeling like I have no social impact when I spend rich people’s money to fight over more money, but I am glad I don’t have to deal with the emotions of criminal or family cases.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Elf sex hasn’t been the same since you changed your avatar back, you ingrate.

It feels really rewarding afterwards. I mean. This is why I signed up. But in the moment...feels pretty awful. This one is especially hard because of the really heinous facts. We were in jury selection for a month. Lot of people just can’t sit this type of case. We had at least 10 venirepersons break down crying.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I've evolved to parseid syntax

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

blarzgh posted:

Quick, back to elf sex!

I'm certainly not about to get in touch with my feelings ITT, but I'll respect the wishes of anyone who is.

And yes, I hear elf sex can do wonders in that particular arena.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I volunteered for the first time at the local legal aid on thursday. I arrived early and bullshit a bit with the coordinator about website stuff. This morning he emailed me asking if there was any way I could convert a document to a wiki and attached a 190 page guide they use as a quick reference. So far he's blown away and is saying that this is going to make me pretty well known. Starting the loving wiki is what will finally get me a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

ActusRhesus posted:

We were in jury selection for a month. Lot of people just can’t sit this type of case. We had at least 10 venirepersons break down crying.

drat. I have never heard of jury selection lasting for an entire month. That's crazy.