Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Very frustrated switcher looking for tips. I moved from a Pixel to an XS last week because Android phones are second class citizens where I work -- Infosec mandates MDM for Android but not iPhone. Since email lived in a work container on my pixel, none of the cool and good Google Assistant stuff worked, so I figured I'd see how this functionality has improved in IOS.

-I have not seen a Siri suggestion at all. I specifically added a test appointment with an address across town expecting to get a suggestion on when to leave -- I got nothing.

-Answering a call in the car results in a buggy mess -- the phone answers on headset mode, and pressing the speaker button to switch to bluetooth or speakerphone causes the screen to flash on/off, menu to open/close, etc. Wrote this off as an interconnection issue with my Ford, but it's now done the same thing with a Nissan and Hyundai rental. I need to take a video of this -- it's ridiculous.

-Google maps volume via bluetooth inexplicably decreases by about 80% when you pause Spotify.

-Task switching is a mess, but that may just be the apps I'm using. I've repeatedly not been able to switch from my meeting app to e.g. maps.

Is this normal or a possible defective unit? Do I need to take this thing back and give up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

No no, make a YouTube video titled MICGATE!?!? and just use the advertising dollars to buy a new phone.

It needs to be about a recently released iPhone to be a proper -gate though

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

KS posted:

-I have not seen a Siri suggestion at all. I specifically added a test appointment with an address across town expecting to get a suggestion on when to leave -- I got nothing.

-Task switching is a mess, but that may just be the apps I'm using. I've repeatedly not been able to switch from my meeting app to e.g. maps.

I don’t have experience with your other bullet points, but I think in general for calendar appointments you have to specifically/manually enable “travel time” in the event settings and set an alert for e.g. 15 minutes before time to leave. If you have an address and “travel time” enabled you should get a notification.

And for task switching, what are you doing and what behavior are you getting? I find task switching to be quite nice on the XS... swiping up from the home bar like 1/3 the way up the screen and pausing ever so slightly makes the app cards show up, then you can skim through them and tap the app you want to go back to. (Or swipe straight right/left on the home bar to go from card to card.) From what you wrote I’m not sure what problem you’re actually having here.

fourwood fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 4, 2018

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What exactly do you think Siri Suggestions are? Cause I feel like there’s a misunderstanding from what you wrote.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

ok my iPhone X mic keeps cutting out on calls, WiFi or not. Anyone else at all with this issue? I’m on t-mobile if it matters. Not sure how hard it would be to reproduce. I was on ios12 beta so I just assumed that, but it’s still continuing. Would the Apple store give me a hard time if I tried to get a replacement or anything?

I swear I remember reading something in this thread about tmobile iPhone X’s having mic issues and it would get you a replacement since it was a hardware issue

I was on the iOS 12 betas on my iPhone 8 Plus and was having a lot of weird issues until I backed the phone up, wiped it and restored. It seems fine now, so I’d try that before putting in the time to get a genius appointment.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

KS posted:

Are you using a real Apple lightning cable? lovely ones can gently caress with touch sensing somehow.

Also wondering if you're running into these issues mostly in the car, and if so, if your phone is connected to your car via its built-in USB port. That is generally a bad idea.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Boris Galerkin posted:

What exactly do you think Siri Suggestions are? Cause I feel like there’s a misunderstanding from what you wrote.

Well, I was hoping it's a knockoff of Google assistant. From reading https://lifehacker.com/set-iphone-calendar-alerts-for-time-to-leave-to-avoid-1760841094 it looks pretty limited -- Google's calendar would scrape any appointments for address info in the location field and make suggestions based off of that. Apparently you need to manually enable it on a per-invite basis, and that field doesn't exist for exchange server calendar invites. That sucks.

Speaking of sucking, really enjoy how there's no way to get rid of calender notifications without sending accept/deny emails to the meeting host. Enterprise ready!

pzy posted:

Are you using a real Apple lightning cable? lovely ones can gently caress with touch sensing somehow.

Also wondering if you're running into these issues mostly in the car, and if so, if your phone is connected to your car via its built-in USB port. That is generally a bad idea.

Just straight up bluetooth, but good to know. I'll have to video this tonight.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
You are unfortunately correct that it does require that field that doesn't exist in exchange. You don't actually need to specifically enable it for calendar invites that do have location fields (although you will get an invite for sure if you do) but yeah, that doesn't help you much.

You can switch to the Outlook app if you want to control notifications the way that you're used to. It will reduce system integration but as you've discovered, when it comes to Exchange, that integration is already limited (I guess if you had an Apple watch I'd suggest maybe sticking with mail but that seems fairly unlikely).

RE: your previous post, it shouldn't and normally doesn't work like that. I guess it's possible that you have a defective bluetooth chip on your phone and that definitely sounds odd.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Also Ford makes it really loving hard to, but download and install the latest Sync update for your car:

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/how-tos/keep-your-sync-up-to-date.html

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I want to buy like more than 1 10ft lightning cable and hopefully get some sort of deal out of getting multiple. What are the options for ya boy

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

I want to buy like more than 1 10ft lightning cable and hopefully get some sort of deal out of getting multiple. What are the options for ya boy

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Lightning-USB-Cable-Certified/dp/B017YEANB0/

Not many good multi-packs of 10ft on Amazon unfortunately.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Monoprice has 2 for $10 on 6ft braided cables if you can swing that.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Rick posted:

You are unfortunately correct that it does require that field that doesn't exist in exchange. You don't actually need to specifically enable it for calendar invites that do have location fields (although you will get an invite for sure if you do) but yeah, that doesn't help you much.

You can switch to the Outlook app if you want to control notifications the way that you're used to. It will reduce system integration but as you've discovered, when it comes to Exchange, that integration is already limited (I guess if you had an Apple watch I'd suggest maybe sticking with mail but that seems fairly unlikely).

RE: your previous post, it shouldn't and normally doesn't work like that. I guess it's possible that you have a defective bluetooth chip on your phone and that definitely sounds odd.

We are on an office365/on premise exchange hybrid and definitely have location/siri travel time working. I get updates all the time.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Monoprice has 2 for $10 on 6ft braided cables if you can swing that.

Do you have a link, I'm not seeing it anywhere on site.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

Do you have a link, I'm not seeing it anywhere on site.

Sorry, these guys here:

Monoprice Palette Series Apple MFi Certified Lightning to USB Charge & Sync Cable, 6ft Black
Add two to the cart and use promo code PAL6FT and it will knock it down to 2 for $10.

They also have the 3ft on sale 3 for $12
Monoprice Palette Series Apple MFi Certified Lightning to USB Charge & Sync Cable, 3ft Black
Use promo code PAL3FT for that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Laserface posted:

We are on an office365/on premise exchange hybrid and definitely have location/siri travel time working. I get updates all the time.

That is good to know, and something to look forward to in 2037 when my company finally transitions away from Exchange 2010.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Sorry, these guys here:

Monoprice Palette Series Apple MFi Certified Lightning to USB Charge & Sync Cable, 6ft Black
Add two to the cart and use promo code PAL6FT and it will knock it down to 2 for $10.

Monoprice Palette Series Apple MFi Certified Lightning to USB Charge & Sync Cable, 3ft Black

Sweet, ordered 6 for no reason other than I want 6 of these cables.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FCKGW posted:

Sorry, these guys here:

Dope, thanks! The one I'm using next to my bed isn't broken yet but it's starting to get there, so now I'll have a replacement.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Mozi posted:

In iOS 12, how to I remove the 'manage' option from the home screen notifications? Just want the old 'view' and 'clear.'

You can’t. Use gestures dawg. Swipe all the way to clear, tap to open the notification.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

All 3 of the 3rd party iphone chargers in my house suddenly stopped working last night. Simultaneously. Was there something in the new update that had a part in this?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

If you are using knockoff cables maybe? Could it have been a power surge?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

WerthersWay posted:

All 3 of the 3rd party iphone chargers in my house suddenly stopped working last night. Simultaneously. Was there something in the new update that had a part in this?

Yeah you gotta make sure your phone is unlocked to charge lol

I mean it might be that if you're on iOS 12

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

After a few weeks with ios12 I've noticed that shuffling songs actually shuffles them and you won't hear repeats after a few hours.

For locally stored music at least. So mark that one down on another reason ios11 sucked rear end.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
God drat Face ID is amazing.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Agronox posted:

God drat Face ID is amazing.

:agreed:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

xzzy posted:

After a few weeks with ios12 I've noticed that shuffling songs actually shuffles them and you won't hear repeats after a few hours.

They probably took a clue from Spotify and made random shuffle less random.

It's pretty hard as a software developer to screw up random ordering (crypto excluded). The truth is - users don't like actual randomness in their software.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's possible but I'm leaning towards it being a bug. In ancient times when you hit shuffle on an itunes playlist, it would play every song once then repeat the same ordering. With ios11 it would shuffle, and if you scrolled through the "up next" buffer everything looked okay. But after a couple dozen songs you'd get repeats.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

xzzy posted:

It's possible but I'm leaning towards it being a bug. In ancient times when you hit shuffle on an itunes playlist, it would play every song once then repeat the same ordering. With ios11 it would shuffle, and if you scrolled through the "up next" buffer everything looked okay. But after a couple dozen songs you'd get repeats.

Shuffling (picking n from n randomly) without replacement is easy when you know the entire search space ahead of time (e.g. a local music library) but gets a lot more complicated when you are shuffling something that is unbounded or changes, like an entire streaming service's music library or the music on a dynamic playlist. You could complicate it in a million different ways to imitate 'without replacement' but that makes it less random and isn't the same thing as picking without replacement.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Because I’m a crazy person, I tested AM’s shuffle mode by creating a several-hundred-track playlist and using a spreadsheet to track which songs came up when over fifty reshuffles. It definitely favored certain tracks, sometimes significantly. This was over a year ago so hopefully it’s improved since then.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Waze is goddamn murder on battery.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Weedle posted:

Because I’m a crazy person, I tested AM’s shuffle mode by creating a several-hundred-track playlist and using a spreadsheet to track which songs came up when over fifty reshuffles. It definitely favored certain tracks, sometimes significantly. This was over a year ago so hopefully it’s improved since then.

Yeah I have a smart playlist for my watch that chooses 2GB of "random" 4/5-star songs that haven't been played in the last week or skipped in the past 2 months. Somehow I always end up with 75% of the same songs. It's really loving annoying.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 5, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Waze is goddamn murder on battery.

This.

Also is there a reason why iPhone X’s Maxxxxx screen shots are 14MB png files??

That’s loving ridiculous.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

MarcusSA posted:

This.

Also is there a reason why iPhone X’s Maxxxxx screen shots are 14MB png files??

That’s loving ridiculous.

Because it has like a billion pixels on that screen

edit: Wait a second, shouldn't you be getting HEIC files if you're taking screenshots directly on the device

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 5, 2018

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Because it has like a billion pixels on that screen

edit: Wait a second, shouldn't you be getting HEIC files if you're taking screenshots directly on the device

:shrug: I’ve always gotten png files for screen shots.

Also someone in discord said that the pixel xl 2 or whatever had a bigger screen but the screen shots were much smaller.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
submitting an anonymous tip to unboxing therapy regarding screenshot-gate as we speak

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Probably because the PNG screenshots are configured to be lossless without compression? Not sure if HEIC has a lossless mechanism.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s really a dumb thing but the only reason it bothers me is because discord has an 8MB file size limit and lol paying what they want for discord monthly

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

It’s really a dumb thing but the only reason it bothers me is because discord has an 8MB file size limit and lol paying what they want for discord monthly

Does Discord have a Share Action (or whatever the gently caress that’s called?) If so, you might be able to share out of Photos and specify the size (SM/MED/LG/ORIG) like you can with Messages and Email.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

It’s pretty easy to make a shortcut to convert it from PNG to a compressed format.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/ebb62a52620643c88e523a08c4355b5b

Evis fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Does Discord have a Share Action (or whatever the gently caress that’s called?) If so, you might be able to share out of Photos and specify the size (SM/MED/LG/ORIG) like you can with Messages and Email.

I don’t think so.

Evis posted:

It’s pretty easy to make a shortcut to convert it from PNG to a compressed format.

Yeah I know but :effort: for some dump F2P phone game. Lol