Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

There's already an r sound in word.

In some varieties of English, yes. The bad varieties :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Captain Monkey posted:

There's already an r sound in word.

Yeah we Anglophones don't know that the umlaut is a hidden r and just pronounce it as an o , was the joke.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Yeah we Anglophones don't know that the umlaut is a hidden r and just pronounce it as an o , was the joke.

As the venerable Bede would have put it: whät?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Edit: I often go to south Louisiana for work, snd every time have to explain to my copilot that "Rue Lois IV" is French for "Louis the 14th's street."

No it isn't.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Chillbro Baggins posted:

That's usually how an umluat is transliterated in English, yes. CF u-Boat Admiral Dönitz's name is pronounced in English as "Durnits" or "Donuts" when actually it's halfway between, a vowel native English speakers can't quite get right. I assume "spöd" is the same and is halfway between the American colloquial word for taters and "sperd," phonetically.

Edit: I often go to south Louisiana for work, snd every time have to explain to my copilot that "Rue Lois IV" is French for "Louis the 14th's street."

He wasn't unsure about how spöd is pronounced, he was unsure about how spoede was pronounced. I'm putting my money on "spayed."

Also that's not how Roman Numerals work.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Baron von Eevl posted:

He wasn't unsure about how spöd is pronounced, he was unsure about how spoede was pronounced. I'm putting my money on "spayed."

The oe is the ö

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

EX250 Type R posted:

The oe is the ö

In the US, don't trust that common spellings yield common pronunciations, especially if they're adapted spellings. "Spoede" may be the accepted way to Anglicize "Spöde" but I'd lay even odds that in the US, "Spoede Rd." is pronounced "speedy".

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Something I just heard about for the first time: Häagen-Dazs icecream isn't Danish at all, it was created in Brooklyn in 1961 by two Jewish guys who just made up a brand name that sounded foreign. Apparently Danish doesn't even have umlauts or the 'zs' letter combination.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Something I just heard about for the first time: Häagen-Dazs icecream isn't Danish at all, it was created in Brooklyn in 1961 by two Jewish guys who just made up a brand name that sounded foreign. Apparently Danish doesn't even have umlauts or the 'zs' letter combination.

Also, Matsui is a British brand, manufactured in China or wherever.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Yeah it looks kinda Slavic to me, a Dane

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

This had me looking up the origins and I found this gem on Wikipedia:

quote:

In 1980, Häagen-Dazs unsuccessfully sued Frusen Glädjé, an American ice cream maker founded that year, for using foreign branding strategies. The phrase frusen glädje—without the acute accent—is Swedish for "frozen delight".

Talk about balls.. suing another company because they also used a foreign sounding name? I didn't realize there were trademark protections for that sort of thing! Tbf their argument was a little bit deeper and they suggested that only they should be allowed to dupe consumers into thinking their ice cream had Scandinavian origins. Luckily the courts didn't agree with their argument, but it is still ballsy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm gonna set up an ice-cream firm in America and call it Farténs Tjüsning.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I had always assumed SEGA was a Japanese-founded company with a Japanese name since the name's an easy transliteration from Japanese. Turns out it started as an American company's operations in Japan to build amusements for US service members serving overseas. After a Japanese concern bought out Service Games they shortened the name to SeGa.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah the X in 14 was omitted and also I meant to say o with an umlaut is a secret e. I'm blaming the phone keyboard.

Re: SEGA: huh, I didn't know that. Nintendo started out making playing cards in Japan. Nikon and Canon are also actually Japanese.

In other news, I just blew somebody's mind by telling them that Katherine and Katarina are the same name in different languages.

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 04:06 on Oct 4, 2018

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Chillbro Baggins posted:

In other news, I just blew somebody's mind by telling them that Katherine and Katarina are the same name in different languages.

Wait til you tell them about John and Ivan :the more you know:

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Cacafuego posted:

I did! "Ivan Ivanovich = John Johnson" And also Sasha = Alex and is mostly for boys! And also Gorbachev wouldn't get mad enough to start WWIII if Reagan called him "Mike".

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 06:03 on Oct 4, 2018

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

Iohannes Caeser, Tsar Ivan, King John, and Kaizer Johann.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Chillbro Baggins posted:

And also Sasha = Alex and is mostly for boys!

I knew a girl named (or nicknamed?) Sasha that went by Alex when I re-met her years later. Never made the connection until this very day.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

burial posted:

I knew a girl named (or nicknamed?) Sasha that went by Alex when I re-met her years later. Never made the connection until this very day.

Her name was Alexandra, she just switched from the Russian to the English short version.

On the other side of the coin, one of my father's brothers goes by Bob. It's not short for Robert, his birth certificate says "Bobby Joe [Baggins]." Grandma on the Baggins side was ... well ... a bit off. One of their other brothers is Arthur Jr. (and goes by his middle name because his dad's first name was also out of date at the time), she wanted to name him Oberon but was overruled by Grandpa. She still called him "Obie" till the day she died.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

burial posted:

I can see that.

Not being able to link Katarina and Katherine is stupid, however

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Chillbro Baggins posted:

On the other side of the coin, one of my father's brothers goes by Bob.

Bob's your uncle.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK this type of long pulla is called pitko in Finnish. Just a few minutes ago I took a look at the packaging for a store-bought one and noticed "oh wow the Swedish word for pitko is just "length" (längd)" ha ha".

It took me a minute or two to realize that the Finnish word is pretty much the same, as pitko comes from pitkä meaning long or (when used about a human being) tall :wth: How can you speak a language for almost 40 years and never realize blatantly obvious stuff like that?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Chillbro Baggins posted:

On the other side of the coin, one of my father's brothers goes by Bob. It's not short for Robert, his birth certificate says "Bobby Joe [Baggins]." Grandma on the Baggins side was ... well ... a bit off.

I think this is more common than one might assume. I have a cousin whose legal given name is Andy.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

It took me a minute or two to realize that the Finnish word is pretty much the same, as pitko comes from pitkä meaning long or (when used about a human being) tall :wth: How can you speak a language for almost 40 years and never realize blatantly obvious stuff like that?

Ah yes, the famously intuitive Finnish language :finland:

Also,

IT'S HIS DICK

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You mean sweet and delicious?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lumpy and encrusted

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

consisting of three entwined pieces with granular sugar on top

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I used to go to a burrito place that had a loyalty card, 10th burrito is free sort of thing. One day I look down and I see the hole punch they use is shaped like a tiny donkey. "Oh a burro," I think to myself. "A tiny burro. More like a bu... oh."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I used to go to a burrito place that had a loyalty card, 10th burrito is free sort of thing. One day I look down and I see the hole punch they use is shaped like a tiny donkey. "Oh a burro," I think to myself. "A tiny burro. More like a bu... oh."

That's pretty good but it's even better if you think of you as your avatar.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Chillbro Baggins posted:

Her name was Alexandra, she just switched from the Russian to the English short version.

On the other side of the coin, one of my father's brothers goes by Bob. It's not short for Robert, his birth certificate says "Bobby Joe [Baggins]." Grandma on the Baggins side was ... well ... a bit off. One of their other brothers is Arthur Jr. (and goes by his middle name because his dad's first name was also out of date at the time), she wanted to name him Oberon but was overruled by Grandpa. She still called him "Obie" till the day she died.

My grandpa wanted to name my dad William Bill. And he had a brother named Golden and a sister named Goldie. They were twins.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I recently met a guy who didn't realise that you can put paper in the toilet bowl before pooping to avoid having your butt splashed until the age of 23.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Covski posted:

I recently met a guy who didn't realise that you can put paper in the toilet bowl before pooping to avoid having your butt splashed until the age of 23.

What the hell? How high is your water/how heavy your loads that this is a thing?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

More from the archives:
- hanging the roll over or under
- German poop shelves
- wiping back to front or front to back
- speck of poo in the bowl? Piss on it & give up or bring out the brush

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Get a bidet, you heathens.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Covski posted:

Wait till they find out about {sit/stand} wipers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

We need to topple Big Charmin because toilet paper is outdated and needs to go.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

JoelJoel posted:

Get a bidet, you heathens.

Get this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Len posted:

What the hell? How high is your water/how heavy your loads that this is a thing?

The famous country song is actually about whether or not it's safe to take a dump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLJvLIfRMpg

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Something I just realized MOST people don’t know: one of the little symbols you ignore on your packaged food items is telling you the kosher status of the food. For ex a little u in a circle on sabra hummus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

This is languages again but I was giving a confused Chinese man directions today and it's messed up how we use "right" in English.

He asked where a store was and I pointed out a mall entrance and said "right there, turn left". Then I started thinking about how else I could have said it and came up with "Right ahead on the left", "right through that door and then left" and similar variations. I realize I could have said "turn left after going through the door" but it would have taken a conscious effort to word it that way. It's weird that right can mean the direction, correct, and that's not even getting into the moral implications.