Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
It is a tragedy that noted Superhero fan Nic Cage never got to be in the recent string of superhero films*. He'd have made a fantastic villain.

*yeah yeah Ghostrider I know. It feels like cheating though when he's mostly CGI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Nic Cage Ghost Rider but without the CGI would be a good villain.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nic Cage Ghost Rider but without the CGI would be a good villain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2mjhdF6Pog&t=16s

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

rydiafan posted:

Also in Speed Racer there's a man named Snake Oiler who fights using snakes and oil.

Was George Lucas involved in that film?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 34 hours!

Krispy Wafer posted:

It is a tragedy that noted Superhero fan Nic Cage never got to be in the recent string of superhero films*. He'd have made a fantastic villain.

*yeah yeah Ghostrider I know. It feels like cheating though when he's mostly CGI.

If you permit voice-only roles, he's in the upcoming Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse as Spider-Man Noir.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Krispy Wafer posted:

In another world...

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
He also got to do the voice of Superman in Teen Titans Go To The Movies.

For some reason indie musician Halsey was Wonder Woman.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Coffee And Pie posted:

He also got to do the voice of Superman in Teen Titans Go To The Movies.

For some reason indie musician Halsey was Wonder Woman.

Did they get back Weird Al as Darkseid?

Weird Al is the protagonist of his own currently running cartoon, btw. (Milo Murphy's Law. It's by the Phineas and Ferb crew and thus pretty good)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
It's so weird because I was just coming to post Phineas and Ferb...

Anyway, in their movie Across the 2nd Dimension there is a song called Robot Riot. It is a rousing song to fight robots to, and it has two lyrics that absolutely tickle me, but are kind of blink and you'll miss it.

1. Cause your sister is a fridge and you know her light is always on

2. Gonna rip out your CPU and show it to you still processing

Particularly the second one.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Beachcomber posted:

It's so weird because I was just coming to post Phineas and Ferb...

Anyway, in their movie Across the 2nd Dimension there is a song called Robot Riot. It is a rousing song to fight robots to, and it has two lyrics that absolutely tickle me, but are kind of blink and you'll miss it.

1. Cause your sister is a fridge and you know her light is always on

2. Gonna rip out your CPU and show it to you still processing

Particularly the second one.

The second one is a deleted scene that you can get on the DVD release, iirc. And it comes with a visual demonstration.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Krispy Wafer posted:

None of those guys missed their one and only Oscar win like Michael Caine because he was filming Jaws 4. Maybe he doesn't care, but that's still got to smart.

He's fine, he won another one years later for the Cider House Rules.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Here's one I can't believe I missed from Empire Strikes Back. When Luke goes into the cave, the cave walls behind the Vader apparition look a lot like the hallways where they fight on Cloud City, only covered in vines.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Nevaldine/Tyler actually pushed for that cut of Ghost Rider 2 to be included in a special edition Blu-Ray package where it was the same film but Nic Cage's head wasn't replaced by CGI.

Just Nic Cage dressed up as Baron Samedi screaming in dude's faces all day. :allears:

We live in such a cruel world.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

rydiafan posted:

Also in Speed Racer there's a man named Snake Oiler who fights using snakes and oil.

Actually, it's spelled Snake Euler. :v:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

The Speed Racer movie is a lot of things. Subtle isn't one of them.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

rydiafan posted:

In Speed Racer the little boy has pajamas with chimps on them and his chimp friend has pajamas with little boys on them.

Hideo Kojima looking at this writing like Patrick Bateman looking at taht dude's business card

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

rydiafan posted:

In Speed Racer the little boy has pajamas with chimps on them and his chimp friend has pajamas with little boys on them.

This owns

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Speed Racer villains have the best names. Snake Oiler, Skull Duggery, Cruncher Block, Splint Femur.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Emmy-O-Lantern posted:

Hideo Kojima looking at this writing like Patrick Bateman looking at taht dude's business card

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

bony tony posted:

The Speed Racer movie is a lot of things. Subtle isn't one of them.

it is sometimes.....theres a lot going on in speed racer. mostly with the actors performances (sarandon is one to watch in this)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speed Racer owns.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

We talking about Speed Racer again? Because it rules.

“Inspector Detector suspected foul play!” is a real quote from that film

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's basically a live-action cartoon that takes all the silly poo poo from an anime and its dodgy English dub at face value and then some.

No other show would do the Mammoth Car.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Speed Racer features a man earnestly telling you that Pancakes are Love.

Barudak has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Oct 10, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Barudak posted:

Speed Racer features a man earnestly telling you that Pancakes are Love.

Because obviously they are.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's basically a live-action cartoon that takes all the silly poo poo from an anime and its dodgy English dub at face value and then some.

No other show would do the Mammoth Car.

It's also kind of a trans narrative?

Click

Barudak
May 7, 2007

bony tony posted:

Click

I like this post, its good, but Speed Racer is unambiguously first and foremost a story about a kid who wants to grow up and pilot a two ton death machine to destroy all those who oppose them just for pure art. The end of the film is a master class in editing where child Speed's fantasy and adult Speed's reality overlap while adult Speed defeats the last racers between themselves and the finish line it is revealed that the previously unshown final panels of the racing comic child Speed is drawing are of him savagely obliterating the rival race cars

In any other film you would be aghast at such a revelation, but in Speed Racer where the enemy is explicitly Capitalism you are cheering as a murderous, unhinged lunatic fully disassociates from reality and destroys two cars with the drivers still inside for absolutely no reason except their own personal joy.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Speed Racer is one of those movies where I never thought I was gonna have to watch it at some point, but I guess here we are

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Same. I've tried a few times, but that was also years ago.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This might be slightly outdated advice because streaming has improved tremendously since the film came out, but to anyone planning to watch the film, please try and watch a non-streaming option unless you have extremely good quality on the stream. The films art style is sumptuous in a way that still holds up completely today but looks horrible if you're watching it on a pixelated and compressed stream as it causes the clean color separations and rich hues to end up muddled. The opening, for instance, which features the protagonist racing a Best-Time Ghost Car like in a video racer looks awful when you can't see the separation between the ghost car's colors and lines and Speed's on the track.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

bony tony posted:

Click
Don't people say that about everything the Wachowskis do, tho?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, it could be, considering. That's kind of their thing and it's as good of a motivation as any to make awesome films.

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 09:12 on Oct 10, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Peeny Cheez posted:

Probably because if they make something and people don't realise it's a trans narrative, they hasten to point it out and next time do it less subtly.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What about the one where Channing Tatum is a wolf space cop

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's not subtle but I don't think there's a thread for "little poo poo in movies you just noticed"

In Black Dynamite the scene where Honey Bee goes to tell him about Bucky she takes a drag on an unlit cigarette, blows out no smoke, and coughs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Peeny Cheez posted:

The Matrix yes, but not the sequels. V for Vendetta is usually seen as more of a gay narrative.

Sense8 is completely open with it.

Have they done anything else?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The Matrix yes, but not the sequels. V for Vendetta is usually seen as more of a gay narrative.

Sense8 is completely open with it.

Have they done anything else?

Ninja Assassin but I think literally no one has ever watched that

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I need to watch the Stallone/Bandaras movie Assassins to see what gay/trans subtext is there.

I liked Assassins BTW. My favorite (subtle?) thing about it is that both Bandaras & Stallone are using integrally supressed .22lr pistols, which are pretty drat quiet (relative to suppressed pistols in general). Now the argument would be how much damage a .22lr bullet would do compared to a more proven man-stopper like 9mm or .45ACP (or even .380) but that's neither here nor there.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

^^^^ Wasn't there some statistic about how most gunshot fatalities in the US are actually caused by .22s? That seems sufficiently lethal ^^^^^

Barudak posted:

In that, the protagonist survives at the end because she's different from almost all other people on the inside (as in, literally inside her body). In fact, on the inside she's the exact opposite of most people. Make of that what you will. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Barudak posted:

I saw it in theaters. It was very silly.