Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

TimWinter posted:

Does no one at Google know how bad the YouTube app is for andoid? I keep thinking they made a last minute change to a patch which broke the whole workflow, but they haven't fixed it for months

the ios one is even worse and takes 45 seconds to render it's ui whenever I click a video link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
the ps4 one has to be force closed every time or the next time you launch it none of the menus will load

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Google is not good at software development

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

why would they be thye're an ad company

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

jit bull transpile posted:

the hell you say!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

jit bull transpile posted:

why on earth did they make flutter? lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

why on earth did they make flutter? lol

because inventing languages and frameworks is much more fun than shipping products

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

lol if u use the youtube app instead of just using your phone browser

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

TimWinter posted:

Does no one at Google know how bad the YouTube app is for andoid? I keep thinking they made a last minute change to a patch which broke the whole workflow, but they haven't fixed it for months

Every time I launch a yt link it pops up saying you should update and every time i hit the"not now" button because every time i update an app on my phone, every single time, it's worse somehow

I can't think of a single app that has ever gained a new feature or new look that i thought was an improvement, and even if it's visually the same chances are it just runs slower

this includes the awful app which mostly works... mostly. still without a way to see the leper colony or see why someone was probated

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

The Management posted:

because inventing languages and frameworks is much more fun than shipping products

Shipping products is pretty fun too. It's just maintaining them w/o completely rewriting them thats boring

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

Shipping products is pretty fun too. It's just maintaining them w/o completely rewriting them thats boring

but what if the people who made it in the first place did a rush job to get it out to market by an arbitrary date and it's now an unmaintainable mess??? now can i rewrite it?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

akadajet posted:

but what if the people who made it in the first place did a rush job to get it out to market by an arbitrary date and it's now an unmaintainable mess??? now can i rewrite it?

no, but have you considered making up a new "material" UI with elements and functionality contrary to those found in other apps?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

TimWinter posted:

workflow? i tap a video and it plays, what else do you need it to do?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

workflow? i tap a video and it plays, what else do you need it to do?

i wonder this too but then i realize people actually use youtube and i am at best a very casual user. i assume they're doing poo poo on youtube that i dont even know about

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender

akadajet posted:

tbh I think 'the old product has too much tech debt' is a pretty common part of every justification for reinventing products internally

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Illusive gently caress Man posted:

tbh I think 'the old product has too much tech debt' is a pretty common part of every justification for reinventing products internally

if only there was some way to prevent this in the future! perhaps some sort of custom framework or a brand new programming language...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i don't know which part of this is weirder: that he thinks an ad company respects your privacy or his claim that not respecting it somehow new
https://twitter.com/rj_gallagher/status/1047544229118050304

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
New YouTube app finally has a dark mode (just like the web version), that alone is worth the update.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Endless Mike posted:

i don't know which part of this is weirder: that he thinks an ad company respects your privacy or his claim that not respecting it somehow new

for some reason a lot of people trust them - dumb fucks.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"retaining a strong reputation for privacy"

hmmm

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bhodi posted:

Every time I launch a yt link it pops up saying you should update and every time i hit the"not now" button because every time i update an app on my phone, every single time, it's worse somehow

I can't think of a single app that has ever gained a new feature or new look that i thought was an improvement, and even if it's visually the same chances are it just runs slower

this includes the awful app which mostly works... mostly. still without a way to see the leper colony or see why someone was probated

it can do both of those things if you update

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
You lied

my back and refresh buttons are smaller now though

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bhodi posted:

You lied

my back and refresh buttons are smaller now though

lepers colony is literally the 4th tab on the tab bar

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Wtf is a tab bar, i have hamburger menus for each person, and yet another menu in the upper left with pms, bookmarks, prefs, search, announcement

Then the display is the thread contests or subforum list and the overall forum listings

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Oct 5, 2018

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
can androids take screenshots yet

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
anroid?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cocoa Crispies posted:

can androids take screenshots yet

only when i can remember the key combination to trigger it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
iirc androids could take screenshots before iphones could because any android app could make arbitrary calls to see what the screen looked like

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

anthonypants posted:

iirc androids could take screenshots before iphones could because any android app could make arbitrary calls to see what the screen looked like
before ice cream sandwich you had to be rooted or the oem had to provide a way to take them

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
yeah when weren't iphones able to take a screenshot

p sure that's been there since the beginning

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

screenshots were available starting form iphone os 2.0 released in 2008

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

my favorite part of android screenshots is they all say "taking screenshot" on them

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
huh, i guess i had that backwards. my bad

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Remember when Iphones couldn't copy & paste?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Lambert posted:

Remember when Iphones couldn't copy & paste?

do a Casey Casem voice and take us back there

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

El_Elegante posted:

do a Casey Casem voice and take us back there

I'm Tom Bodett for iPhone 6 and we'll leave the humor out dsmp, mlyp &c

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
clear your schedules, googles got an event coming up.

https://twitter.com/madebygoogle/status/1048569831660777472

oh, what could this possibly be?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

new chat program?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
wave is back baby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
spoiler alert, its a pixel 3. oh, heres a full review (in Chinese) by some people that got their hands on a retail device.

https://unwire.hk/2018/10/05/google-pixel-3-xl-detail-review/review-2/

• Locked thread