Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Vic posted:

The amount you select is the amount you'll keep before the bots start taking items out of your inventory and into the storage.

Thanks for the answers.

So I want bots to automatically remove wood from my inventory, can I just go to auto-trash slots, and select 0 wood? This will mean I will never keep a single piece of wood in my inventory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Assuming your logistics network works, yes.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Megasabin posted:

Thanks for the answers.

So I want bots to automatically remove wood from my inventory, can I just go to auto-trash slots, and select 0 wood? This will mean I will never keep a single piece of wood in my inventory?

Yup, slider to the left, or type in zero, you'll only see an icon without a number. That means "dump everything, keep nothing".

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Megasabin posted:

2. If it's the latter, what's the best way to deal with this? Will building a requestor chest targeting bots, and then having with an inserter in front of a roboport solve the issue? If you request bots with a requestor chest, will active bots from the network simply fly themselves into the chest? Or will they only bring you bots that were already being stored in other chests in the network?
A requester for bots + inserter going into a roboport is a simple way of doing it. Keep in mind that if you have different logistics networks that aren't connected you could end up with a ton of bots in one of them that doesn't need them. You can also do the reverse where you have a filter inserter pulling from a roboport going into a chest and use the circuit network to read number of bots and pull out extra.

quote:

5. I've been having an issue where random stuff keeps ending up in my raw material conveyor belts. Things like engine units or conveyor belt pieces.

My raw material conveyor belts are quite isolated from the rest of my base. The entire pathway is essentially: Train unloads raw resource on to to a passive provider chest --> Inserter moves raw resource onto the conveyer belt, which takes it to the furnace. There is no way the derelict goods are getting there by poorly placed splitters or inserters, because these belts are just no where near the rest of my base.

In addition, the issue has only been occurring sporadically, and I imagine if it were an issue with an improperly placed splitter/inserter it would be quite consistent.

My best guess is that somehow items I'm placing in the trash slots are being delivered to the passive provider chests that house the natural resources as they are moved off the train. In fact I actually saw one these passive provider chest have 1-2 stacks of some random stuff at one point. I know I have enough storage chests in the network, because some are still empty, so why is this happening? I keep all my storage chests in a central location. Could that be the issue? If the storage chests are too far, while the bots just starting tossing goods into passive provider chests instead?
Bots will never deliver anything to provider chests. How are your trains set up? Is it possible for a train that has a few items in it to be sent to pick up ore from your mine? That seems like the most likely cause to me.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Using the trash slots in conjunction with the logistic slots means you can set your bots to always have you supplied (within network range, obviously) at a set amount, without going over.

So setting iron to 300 in your request slots but 500 in your trash slots is like saying "keep 3 stacks of iron on me minimum, but take it away if I go over 5".

If you want bots to do other things don't set the trash amount to lower than the request amount. :v:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Feature ideas:

• Give roboports bot-only logistic slots, with requests checked against the bot population of the coverage area that roboport belongs to
  • Let the player set preferred ports for bots in large coverage areas to return to when idle (e.g. near a storage area)
  • Let assemblers in range of a roboport produce activated bots directly
  • Let bots enter/exit vehicles and consider train schedules when pathfinding

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Toast Museum posted:

* Let bots enter/exit vehicles and consider train schedules when pathfinding

I'd love to see the performance impact of this one.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

necrotic posted:

Ideally instead of getting inside the trains they'd just glom onto the sides like those pics you see of trains in India with hundreds of people on the outsides of the cars, but with bots.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Like babies on a wolf spider

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A rail car with 2/3 the capacity but an integral roboport would be pretty awesome.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

necrotic posted:

Are you thinking of a performance hit from interacting with the vehicle or from more complicated pathfinding? If it's the latter, I don't know poo poo about how pathfinding is coded, but maybe the performance hit could be mitigated by bots only considering catching a ride if distance > x.

I just want robots to ride to work :shobon:

chairface posted:

Ideally instead of getting inside the trains they'd just glom onto the sides like those pics you see of trains in India with hundreds of people on the outsides of the cars, but with bots.

I am 100% okay with this.

Collateral Damage posted:

A rail car with 2/3 the capacity but an integral roboport would be pretty awesome.

Also this. Especially if you can get it to do things like extend the rail and establish outposts.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I played the demo of this game this morning-- it was fun, so I bought it.

I'm about to start my first game. Any suggestions on settings that are newbie friendly?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Toast Museum posted:

Are you thinking of a performance hit from interacting with the vehicle or from more complicated pathfinding? If it's the latter, I don't know poo poo about how pathfinding is coded, but maybe the performance hit could be mitigated by bots only considering catching a ride if distance > x.

Definitely path finding. They'd have to hook bot networks into the train pathing system, and for the feature to really be worth it essentially join all the networks across those train paths. It'd be a mess and you could already do this with the existing network stats and circuitry. Could be a fun project, but it probably wouldn't be all that useful.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Count Roland posted:

I'm about to start my first game. Any suggestions on settings that are newbie friendly?

Probably lower biter frequency. Everything else should be fine and even the biter thing is optional.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Count Roland posted:

Peaceful mode is a good idea for your first game, it keeps the biters from attacking you unless you go out and get rowdy with them yourself. It will help you learn the basics uninterrupted. Also feel free to fully max out the resources during map generation, you can always tone it down in later games but it's fun to just go wild and get plenty of materials at first. If nothing else max all out the oil related spawn settings because oil is a pain in the rear end.

Oh and please take and post screenshots of your first base because watching what new players build is pretty much the best thing ever. Everybody has their own unique solutions.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

necrotic posted:

Definitely path finding. They'd have to hook bot networks into the train pathing system, and for the feature to really be worth it essentially join all the networks across those train paths. It'd be a mess and you could already do this with the existing network stats and circuitry. Could be a fun project, but it probably wouldn't be all that useful.

I guess it wouldn't have to be at the level of individual bot pathfinding. Maybe some kind of logic to look for large spikes in demand in an area and have bots look for a ride if it's far. Large networks of roboports seem to wind up with a lot of bots spending a ton of time in transit, and I have to think there'd be some utility in having a way to ferry a bunch of them across a big coverage area.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Toast Museum posted:

I guess it wouldn't have to be at the level of individual bot pathfinding. Maybe some kind of logic to look for large spikes in demand in an area and have bots look for a ride if it's far. Large networks of roboports seem to wind up with a lot of bots spending a ton of time in transit, and I have to think there'd be some utility in having a way to ferry a bunch of them across a big coverage area.

Bots are already the optimal way to play end game. Giving them more advantage doesn't really help. Although the performance hit from your suggestion might make belts competitive on UPS again :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Count Roland posted:

Biters Never Attack First is probably the easiest one. It makes biters never initiate attack, though they'll fight back if you attack them or their nests.

Then use the map preview to get a map that has oil (purple spots) fairly close to the center of your map, or at least located so you don't have to clear out biter nests to reach it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
By the way, they just added train blueprints to their next build :). https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-263

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The most important thing is to build a horrible spaghetti base while you learn the game and post pictures. Then we'll all sigh and get nostalgic about our first horrible spaghetti bases and offer advice on getting beyond the first horrible spaghetti base.

The basic settings are fine. I'd recommend the biggest starting area possible and making biters spread more slowly. Ratchet up resource density of you want. Don't worry too much about it. Learn by failing.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'm gonna play this game for the first time in months tonight and I'm honestly hoping we make a big spaghetti mess.

There's beauty in a well organized factory but the spaghetti is so satisfying.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

One thing I remember about my old spaghetti factories (heh) is that I also crammed everything into a small area and really made it worse for myself.

also I managed to launch a rocket with only like 10 smelters because I thought it was one of those games that you could play while doing something else (I turned off biters) and I just would go watch TV or something while waiting for my smelters to smelt enough to hand-craft things. I don't know what I was thinking.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Jyrraeth posted:

One thing I remember about my old spaghetti factories (heh) is that I also crammed everything into a small area and really made it worse for myself.

also I managed to launch a rocket with only like 10 smelters because I thought it was one of those games that you could play while doing something else (I turned off biters) and I just would go watch TV or something while waiting for my smelters to smelt enough to hand-craft things. I don't know what I was thinking.

Boy do I have just the thing for you! https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-132

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Mayveena posted:

By the way, they just added train blueprints to their next build :). https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-263

That looks great! I really can't wait for the next version now.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

So, game is good.

I started out with high resources, and aliens don't attack unless I start poo poo.

My plans going in:
-Give myself lots of space.
-Build based on rows. I watched some of a letsplay on friday and the guy used the "Main Bus" method, which I guess I'm emulating a little bit. All* major production is done left to right to keep things organized.

My screen shots don't look very interesting to me but maybe you guys will like them? These are day 1.

Here I am trying to figure out how to get two resources on the proper lanes on a single belt.

My overall base (still super early on)

Here I make plates, woo.

Here's my science corner. This is temporary, it depends on me running the resources by hand.

Day 2 (today)
Lessons!

-I'm going to gently caress myself for space no matter how I do things
-Science is way more involved than I realized; machines themselves are part of recipes, and this is only green stuff.
-I should have automated belt and inserter building wayyyy earlier than I did, I make an awful lot of stuff by hand.
-I read online that inserters can take from chests. I tested this and found I couldn't, guess I was just dumb. Makes life easier though.
-I'm learning how to use splitters a bit, handy things.

Overall base:

I replaced my first science area with a inserter factory. The science hub is now in the bottom left, and I hope to keep it there.

I like how easy it is to disassemble existing stuff.

My plan now is to keep with the rows. I'm placing big vertical routes every so often to move resources... currently only in one direction (down) but I image this will change. I'm giving myself even more space.

My science is humming along now (red and green) and I'm not sure where to go next, I guess make some steel.

Oh, and I just ran into the wilderness to shoot up some biters. I figure the pressure they put on me will keep things interesting. Time to set up some turret/ammo factories!

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

The fact that you're already planning thruways for future resource transportation does mean that your initial spaghetti won't be as tittilatingly nightmarish as folks around here really like, but your grasp of the fundamentals is sound. For sure, even without looking at science, there will be times when you need to thread a single belt through half your factory to deliver something non-standard like coal, stone, or stone bricks, and also times when the most logical place to put something which uses an advanced subcomponent is 'before' the plant which manufactures it (looking at you, smart inserters and red circuits).

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I was reminded of this game when I was talking to a friend about laying out PCBs, which I used to do sometimes for work. There's a lot of similarities really, so I had a sort of head start.

Now time to hop in my new car, and find some oil!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
They grow up so quickly, don't they? :allears:

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I killed a biter nest ages ago, and more recently I provoked a bunch. They followed for some time but eventually I outdrove them.

Whats it going to take for them to attack my base? I'd like to do something other than straight building once in a while.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Count Roland posted:

I killed a biter nest ages ago, and more recently I provoked a bunch. They followed for some time but eventually I outdrove them.

Whats it going to take for them to attack my base? I'd like to do something other than straight building once in a while.

Normally what would happen is the nests eat any pollution that gets to them. If they eat enough they barf out a wave of biters that come after the source of the pollution. If you turned on peaceful mode they never, ever do that.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You started with peaceful mode? They only agro a wad at a time. You can turn peaceful mode off in the console, command:
/c game.player.surface.peaceful_mode = false

Unless somethings changed. I think a lot of people expect them to turn into normal after first blood so its kind of weird that isn't a setting yet.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

zedprime posted:

You started with peaceful mode? They only agro a wad at a time. You can turn peaceful mode off in the console, command:
/c game.player.surface.peaceful_mode = false

Unless somethings changed. I think a lot of people expect them to turn into normal after first blood so its kind of weird that isn't a setting yet.

Have to admit that setting sounds awesome and I had no idea I wanted it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Everyone's first game should be default world settings. :colbert:

Biters aren't hard in the slightest, just don't ignore military upgrades and you'll do fine.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Personally I think they can be annoying if you're just learning the very basics, especially if you don't know what provokes biters and how to mitigate it. You can end up spending half your playtime chasing biters because of that and because you haven't learned a good way to automates defenses.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Count Roland posted:

Here I am trying to figure out how to get two resources on the proper lanes on a single belt.

I see you found an alternate solution, but you were halfway there. In this screenshot you've already figured out how to get your coal to always be on one side of the belt. You just need to apply the same approach to the other side of the belt.

Count Roland posted:

-I read online that inserters can take from chests. I tested this and found I couldn't, guess I was just dumb. Makes life easier though.
Inserters can take from chests. Most likely reason that didn't happen is either the inserter didn't have power or it was pointing the wrong way. You can rotate the inserter to change which square is input/output by pressing r for rotate. You can do the same thing with most items.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Also you can rotate things that are already placed!!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's also possible that whatever you had the inserter pointing at wasn't set up to receive whatever was in the chest (or was full).

An inserter will only insert items that the receiving building will accept, so for instance if you have an inserter taking out of a chest and putting into an assembler, it will only take the items that the assembler needs, regardless of what's in the chest.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 7, 2018

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Collateral Damage posted:

It's also possible that whatever you had the inserter pointing at wasn't set up to receive whatever was in the chest (or was full).

An inserter will only insert items that the receiving building will accept, so for instance if you have an inserter taking out of a chest and putting into an assembler, it will only take the items that the assembler needs, regardless of what's in the chest.

Also it will only insert a few source items, enough to complete I think 2 rounds of fabrication of the component, so you don't have all your items locked up in a factory that might not produce anything (and thus locking up the rest of your factories by starving them of materials)

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is there any consequence to piping oil very long distances? Is there a reason to barrel it and put it in trains instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Megasabin posted:

Is there any consequence to piping oil very long distances? Is there a reason to barrel it and put it in trains instead?

The flow rate of a pipe goes down the longer it is.

That said, trains are very expensive, and the falloff doesn't matter for most scales.