Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
You need an extra app if you wanna record stuff in the stock activity app and export it to other apps later on so I just track everything from Strava right away. Some people start their workouts from the phone but I always just use the watch app.

Strava has been pretty reliable for me even if synching can take a bit after a run/ride. Be advised that it’ll sometimes actually detract (though maybe my bike game is just weak) calories from bike rides because it does some kinda magic that also makes it add calories to runs.

The Nike app has straight up swallowed workouts so I’m wary of that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

This picture isn't mine but …

What the gently caress is going on there? That's 121 hours or roughly four hours of exercise every single day in October. Who has time to exercise four hours every single day other than professional athletes?

I feel like I would just give up without even trying cause it's for all intents and purposes impossible.

The monthly challenges are tuned to what you have been doing but moreso. So I’m being asked to walk a lot of KMs because I’ve been walking a lot. Last month my challenge was to close the green ring 16 times because, uh, I hadn’t been active much in August. In August my challenge was to close my red ring 25 times because I spent most of July lying around.

So this person being asked to do 4 hours a day must have already been doing like 3.5 or something.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ha, I never knew the challenges were different for each person. My October is to reach the daily Move goal 18 times, which is probably slightly lower than my average each month.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I was gonna ask why my watch was telling me my coworkers finished October challenges in a day, but I guess they’re just slackers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's been a complaint with the watch for a while.. the health app more or less adds up everything you did last month and adds 20% for the new goal. It's completely unsustainable.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I knew I was sitting at my desk working too much when my monthly goal was to meet my daily move goal for like two days in a month. :gonk:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Dugong posted:

I should not have updated my s2 before going on holiday. The battery drain is real.
Maybe I was using my watch more after watchOS 5 dropped, but my S2 battery seems to have stabilized now. I'm still able to go about 24-30 full hours without a charge. But also, I dont engage with the watch very much, only to read texts, scribble the occasional reply, and set timers.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ha, I never knew the challenges were different for each person. My October is to reach the daily Move goal 18 times, which is probably slightly lower than my average each month.
I had a stint where I was biking 10 miles a day, then I got a desk job and then my watch was very angry with me suddenly becoming sedentary. Now im at the baseline, factory default goals.

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 5, 2018

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.
Is there a reason I can’t use the Home or Messages complications on the newer watch faces (infograph / infograph modular)?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

comper posted:

Is there a reason I can’t use the Home or Messages complications on the newer watch faces (infograph / infograph modular)?

Because for some reason Apple didn't make GLORIOUS RICH COMPLICATIONS for these mundane applications that were WORTHY OF FITTING ON THE GREATEST WATCH FACES KNOWN TO MAN.
Like seriously I am still rocking regular modular because I use messages all the loving time and I am more than a little grumpy that I can't use it on infographic modular.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Can’t decide if I want to jump on one of the new Nike+ models in my local store. I have a S1 and the new models are noticeably nicer and faster, and having swim use would be nice. Just not sure it’s worth almost $500 to make the upgrade right now.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It will be.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cozmosis posted:

Can’t decide if I want to jump on one of the new Nike+ models in my local store. I have a S1 and the new models are noticeably nicer and faster, and having swim use would be nice. Just not sure it’s worth almost $500 to make the upgrade right now.
I went from S1 to S4 and it’s goddamn amazing. There are apps I almost never used before since they took too long to load, and the S4 handles it flawlessly.

Also Siri is actually usable instead of always responding with “eh, I’ll get back to you on it”

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

Violator posted:

I knew I was sitting at my desk working too much when my monthly goal was to meet my daily move goal for like two days in a month. :gonk:

My watch just wants me to meet my stand goal 11 days this month. :smith:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Get a standing desk, nerds. Also how can I check my monthly challenge?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Get a standing desk, nerds. Also how can I check my monthly challenge?

In the activity app on the phone.

:shrug:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Counterpoint- The S4 is Apple’s first go at a new form factor with redesigned/new components and a new centerpiece tech feature in the ECG.

If they feel like they can hold on for another year the S5 will definitely be a more refined, capable, and potentially reliable take on the stuff that the S4 aims to do. At least in Macs and iPhones, “wait for the second version of that new design” is definitely wise advice borne out by many examples.

That said, the S4 looks dope as gently caress and would be a massive improvement over an S1.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

In the activity app on the phone.

Oh durr. I was messing on the watch and didn’t think to check the phone.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

RoboCop 3 posted:

I’ve been using Sleep Watch for a few nights now, and it’s way more accurate at tracking sleep, at least for me. Last night, my sleep was interrupted several times, and the Sleep Watch data showed the gap in sleep every time I woke up. The interface is also a lot more intuitive and simple than Autosleep. So far, I’m very happy with it, and it doesn’t seem to have any conflicts when installed in addition to Autosleep.

I know Autosleep is popular and highly rated, so I’m sure it works well for a lot of people. For whatever reason, it just wasn’t compatible with my messed up sleep habits.

Or maybe it tracked all too accurately, and I really do survive on 1-3 hours of sleep per night. :spooky:

Hm, this has convinced me to give Sleep Watch a go, since I also am apparently surviving on 1-3 hours of sleep a night. Which I mean might be true and is in fact definitely true some nights.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

RoboCop 3 posted:

My watch just wants me to meet my stand goal 11 days this month. :smith:

My goal for September was hit the stand goal four times. Not sure why if got set that low, in August I hit the stand goal all but two days so it's really bugged for me.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Counterpoint- The S4 is Apple’s first go at a new form factor with redesigned/new components and a new centerpiece tech feature in the ECG.

If they feel like they can hold on for another year the S5 will definitely be a more refined, capable, and potentially reliable take on the stuff that the S4 aims to do. At least in Macs and iPhones, “wait for the second version of that new design” is definitely wise advice borne out by many examples.

That said, the S4 looks dope as gently caress and would be a massive improvement over an S1.

The S6 coming out in a few years is gonna be even better than the S5. And the S7 is gonna be better than the S6. Might as well just get one of those 50 cent children’s watches while you wait for the rest of your life.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

rage-saq posted:

Because for some reason Apple didn't make GLORIOUS RICH COMPLICATIONS for these mundane applications that were WORTHY OF FITTING ON THE GREATEST WATCH FACES KNOWN TO MAN.
Like seriously I am still rocking regular modular because I use messages all the loving time and I am more than a little grumpy that I can't use it on infographic modular.

drat that’s disappointing I really hope they change that in an update. Thanks.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Boris Galerkin posted:

This picture isn't mine but …

What the gently caress is going on there? That's 121 hours or roughly four hours of exercise every single day in October. Who has time to exercise four hours every single day other than professional athletes?

I feel like I would just give up without even trying cause it's for all intents and purposes impossible.

This feature is completely broken.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

After wearing a Milanese loop for a week, putting back on the sport band feels so satisfying. It’s not that the Milanese loop is uncomfortable but the watch with the sport band is easily the most comfortable watch I’ve ever worn.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Yeast posted:

This feature is completely broken.

Look at this loser who couldn’t win the medal.

Me on the other hand :smug:

Look I worked hard for that achievement (it’s real :()

E: it’s also very wrong. I closed them 3 times :v:

e: am I totally misremembering or did you use to be able to set your daily move goal in the phone app? And also, didn’t it use to have pre-set values like 350, 500, etc, and nothing in between? Now it’s letting me change it in increments of 10 and I seriously don’t remember this.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Oct 6, 2018

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It’s always been in steps (hah!) of 10.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Stopped into an Apple Store yesterday and looked at the new stuff. I'm a bit sad my S2 works fine, so I have no desire to upgrade. Maybe they'll stop supporting it next year and I can get an S5.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Endless Mike posted:

Stopped into an Apple Store yesterday and looked at the new stuff. I'm a bit sad my S2 works fine, so I have no desire to upgrade. Maybe they'll stop supporting it next year and I can get an S5.

That was my thinking to except I realized I could trade my S2 in for some money.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

The activity tracking really does seem off in Watch OS 5. I’ve done almost nothing but lay in bed today (it was a rough week), and I’m at 82% of my move goal and 91% of my stand goal. I met my “stand” goal 11 times while I was sleeping.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Maybe you’re a sleepwalker :raise:

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

RoboCop 3 posted:

The activity tracking really does seem off in Watch OS 5. I’ve done almost nothing but lay in bed today (it was a rough week), and I’m at 82% of my move goal and 91% of my stand goal. I met my “stand” goal 11 times while I was sleeping.

Getting my S2 is record exercise has been near impossible. I regularly go jogging on my lunch break and I would always hit my exercise goal during it. Since updating I am lucky if I get 2 or 3 minutes of exercise credited.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

japtor posted:

Maybe you’re a sleepwalker :raise:

Between the weird activity tracking results and the “inaccurate” Autosleep data, that’s beginning to seem more likely.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

RoboCop 3 posted:

Are you on 5.0.1? They fixed a bug where it was hanging out exercise minutes like candy.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I've on the latest update too, but it definitely still seems to be tracking calories higher than before OS5. I walk to and from work, and I used to get a 100% move ring on the way home, but recently it's been filling up before the day's even over.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Are you on 5.0.1? They fixed a bug where it was hanging out exercise minutes like candy.

I didn't even know they released an update after 5. Thanks! :)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Do a 20 minute jog outside on the workout app and see if that fixes things.

I personally am getting higher walking credit, but exercise seems to have corrected itself. I was getting almost 15 minutes from work, but now it’s back down to like 5 at best during a normal shift.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does the watch automatically calibrate over time? I noticed it gives me stand credits sometimes when I’m laying on my couch after I yawn and stretch out my arms over my head. At the same time this morning I paced back and forth around my entire apartment from xx:50 when it told me to stand until xx:57 when I finally got the stand credit.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

RoboCop 3 posted:

Have you been masturbating a lot? Try switching hands.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
So I put my new s4 on the charger last night, and it seemed fine until it lit up with the Apple logo in the middle of the night. I couldn't turn it off so I wound up hiding it under the bed to make the light go away.

This morning it was giving me some kind of prompt to go on the charger, but today it's got really hot, the charging prompt eventually went away and now the apple logo is back. Holding down the crown and home button makes it go blank for a while, but then the apple logo just comes back again.

Is there anything else I can try before returning it?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Once I closed my move ring by pooping. That’s my apple watch story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

carry on then posted:

Once I closed my move ring by pooping. That’s my apple watch story.

On my s0 I closed exercise both by pooping and another time by eating a burrito. Finally a watch that likes me for me.