Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Defenestrategy posted:

Does anyone else get used as a sounding board for ridiculous schemes about buttcoins by their boss? I hope this isn't common.

ASK me about fishcoin.co
Or Walmart's new blockchain iniative
Or BLOCKCHAIN IN THE SUPPLYCHAIN
Or
Or
Or

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
My company has a whole blockchain technical community.

I really hope it's just used to keep track of the people most likely to install miners in production environments.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Cant wait to vote in presidential blockchain

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
*chipper HR lady voice* "And this is our new conference room, we call it room four - twenty"

I think she heard me choke that laugh off.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
No one at my work knows or cares what blockchain is and I hope to keep it that way.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

The Nastier Nate posted:

No one at my work knows or cares what blockchain is and I hope to keep it that way.

No one at my work knows what blockchain is either :v:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I know that people are mining bitcoin using my datacenter's hardware at this very moment.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Chinese probably are actually.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vulture Culture posted:

You can tell from the assumption that this is planned maintenance that they should be told about, and not an unplanned outage, that they obviously were completely aware of this the entire time

I've read this like 10 times and am not sure what you're getting at. There was an enormous amount of communication about this change, and it wasn't just over email (which, true, I didn't say in my quick shitpost since it wasn't meant to be a drat postmortem document). If someone is going to ignore emails, TV's in the office, chat messages, and direct contact from the helpdesk, I don't really know what else could be done :shrug:

The helpdesk had them up and running on the new VPN within 15 minutes of their complaint. We aren't monsters.

It was just the most human_nature.txt thing possible.

Methanar posted:

I know that people are mining bitcoin using my datacenter's hardware at this very moment.

Please do not doxx me bro

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Tab8715 posted:

Curious, is anyone here in IT Recruiting? I wonder what it’s like on the other side of the fence.

My dad is in IT Recruiting, and a lot of the stuff people bitch about concerning IT recruiting is stuff he bitches about as well.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

TheHeadSage posted:

My dad is in IT Recruiting, and a lot of the stuff people bitch about concerning IT recruiting is stuff he bitches about as well.

Whatever happened to Dark Helmut? We had a good run of extremely candid IT recruiter takes in this thread from him. But it seems he hasn't posted in over a year. If nothing else, read through his post history. It's good stuff.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3653857&userid=59666

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Docjowles posted:

I've read this like 10 times and am not sure what you're getting at.

He's saying the user was fully aware of the VPN change the whole time. If he wasn't aware it was going away, the message would have said 'why is the VPN down' or 'can't log in fix it fix it.'

By saying 'why didn't anybody tell me' he's tipping his hand to knowing this is a permanent, planned change and just chose to ignore it. And of course he blames IT to save face.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

He's saying the user was fully aware of the VPN change the whole time. If he wasn't aware it was going away, the message would have said 'why is the VPN down' or 'can't log in fix it fix it.'

By saying 'why didn't anybody tell me' he's tipping his hand to knowing this is a permanent, planned change and just chose to ignore it. And of course he blames IT to save face.
Thanks, I can't do make more like words good on stream-of-consciousness work days

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks, goon buddies :glomp:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i had to sit through no less than three blockchain pitches at work from start-ups to make my boss happy... they were all terrible

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
"now which one of these three are we presenting to the CEO?" *facepalm*

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

or you could have like i did, where your old boss goes whole hog into BitCoin RIGHT at the height. I'm talking to the point of building a mining rig and keeping it by his desk in the office, then abandoning the whole thing and trying to sell me the nuked video card(s) a week later.

ah

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

I'm sure going to be glad when this whole bitcoin thing is over and more libertarian shitheels lose their money.

https://www.facebook.com/Distributed-Ledger-Inc-2049290152013022/

My old boss's new company, which he puts on his books as an outside customer.

Zapf Dingbat fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Oct 5, 2018

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana posted:

or you could have like i did, where your old boss goes whole hog into BitCoin RIGHT at the height. I'm talking to the point of building a mining rig and keeping it by his desk in the office, then abandoning the whole thing and trying to sell me the nuked video card(s) a week later.

ah

People who pay attention to yield/watt don't nuke their cards, but knowing enough to realise this generally also means they're smart enough to avoid the whole buttcoin thing :v:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I know there was an argument about this a few weeks ago. What do the cool kids use for ssh on Windows these days? Or do they just use the native one now?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

PuTTY.

:colbert:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I know there was an argument about this a few weeks ago. What do the cool kids use for ssh on Windows these days? Or do they just use the native one now?

Trick question. The cool kids are not using Windows.

e: to be fair I'm still not cool

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 5, 2018

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Agreed. :hfive:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Y'all, I just got a job that is union, employee-owned, and finally earning what I should be with good benefits after being laid off five years ago.

Year of the job is this year :unsmith:

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Same

:yeah:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
SuperPutty at minimum, SecureCRT/Mobaxterm/RoyalTS/whatever is good at handling multiple sessions, tabs and works with Solarised Dark theme if you're managing loads of devices

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
See my red text? I forget when someone paid for it, but it was due to stupid poo poo like this and very little has improved. I figured I would post this out here and you all can make fun of me / tell me how I should have done this in 5 seconds.

Situation: Blank server with a UEFI-only firmware loaded onto it, manufacturer only supports UEFI booting due to the shiny new NVME disks that are in it. This is the first server in a datacenter which is going to be the bootstrap for the rest of it. I want to bring a USB stick to install Windows Server 2016 just in case the janky-as-gently caress java viewer ISO mounter doesn't work, and I don't want to deal with a literal DVD in TYOOL 2018. I know, I'll just buy a USB stick, surely this will improve my life. If I could net install this trivially I would, but I assumed this would be easier.

Solution:
- Partition+format the USB stick into <=16GB FAT32 w/ GPT enabled. (list disk, select disk N, clean (this is the data-nuking part), convert gpt, create primary part size=16000, format fs=fat32 quick, assign))
- Mount (or copy out) all of the Windows Server 2016 files. install.wim will fail, skip it.
- `dism /Split-Image /ImageFile:f:\sources\install.wim /SWMFile:k:\sources\install.swm /FileSize:4000` (f:\ is your ISO, k:\ is your USB stick.) You will need to be more modern than Windows 7 to do this, I used a Windows Server 2016 VM.
- Test it in virtualbox ( :suicide: )
-- Make a new VM, check UEFI, all the cpus and memory, etc.
-- Map through your USB stick
-- Boot. Fail to the UEFI prompt. type `exit` to get to the firmware configuration screen.
-- Edit boot options to remove the UEFI prompt (moving it to last didn't work when I tried it. Not sure why.) Set your USB stick as first. Save.
-- Use the "reset system" option inside these menus.

Half-solutions I found on the internet:
- Use the Windows 7 USB installer program!
-- This only makes NTFS + MBR.

- Use Rufus you dufus!
-- This only works if your device is considered "fixed" by Windows. Removable class devices cannot have the second partition. ("Windows to Go Certified USB Flash Disks" seems to be the magic term.)
-- The author smugly says "You don't need a fat32 boot disk!" Then goes on to silently attempt to create a fat32 slice which includes an NTFS driver. Super. See above.
-- The author also smugly says "Just disable secureboot and use my unsigned UEFI NTFS driver! It's not a big deal just do it!" See above, and above that. Also way to add a bunch of steps.

- You're a loving idiot for using UEFI. (A comment on a Microsoft curated board somewhere.)
-- Probably, but here we are.

- Pressure the manufacturer into supporting BIOS forever!
-- Nope. They're removing all support in 2020-something and all I can say is thank god. Head in the sanding this isn't helping things. It's been coming for a long time now. Plus, I need to do this Tuesday, not in 3-6 months.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Can you setup the server first in your office with MDT/WDS? Does the server uefi support booting an iso over the internet? Can you buy the server with the OS pre installed?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

lampey posted:

Can you setup the server first in your office with MDT/WDS? Does the server uefi support booting an iso over the internet? Can you buy the server with the OS pre installed?

No - That's what this is for, Internet access is something being setup in tandem (out of band exists - 10mbps), No.

(Though if we can get it onto our backbone prior to my arrival I can do a WDS over that, just hoping to do things in tandem. It's already a travesty that we have to show up once.)

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Certainly the UEFI boot has the ability to boot off an ISO that is on a USB drive...?

Other than that, you've spent way more time than a USB CD/DVD drive costs. I still keep one around.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
If this is wasting too much of your time and you know you can WDS, go buy a random shitbox laptop with a normal ethernet port from bestbuy for 200 dollars and use that as your bootstrapper.

Don't let bullshit get in the way of your schedule.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Certainly the UEFI boot has the ability to boot off an ISO that is on a USB drive...?

Other than that, you've spent way more time than a USB CD/DVD drive costs. I still keep one around.

Methanar posted:

If this is wasting too much of your time and you know you can WDS, go buy a random shitbox laptop with a normal ethernet port from bestbuy for 200 dollars and use that as your bootstrapper.

Don't let bullshit get in the way of your schedule.

This all started out as me being in Target grabbing something and thinking "Gee, I bet a USB stick would improve my life!" Then down the rabbit hole of "I will not be defeated by this..."

A $200 shitbox laptop wouldn't for my windows skill level, plus I would still need to get Windows Server onto there. (Which I understand I could do that via a optical drive or hoping it still supports BIOS booting, which I assume they all do.) Overall hoping to add a few ounces to my suitcase, not another laptop. Overall I'm impressed that Windows remains harder than Linux and Mac OS to install on a device.

The second USB stick took me 1 try to get working: Rufus + CentOS Everything ISO = installed OS once I knew the Virtualbox trick. Even without it I would have been happy just to see it dumped into a partition I knew would get me past the uefi shell.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Have you confirmed that the UEFI won't boot an ISO off a USB drive?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

IIRC, an mdt deployment, when exported to external media, uses a signed UEFI bootloader and will be able to load your windows images from an ntfs volume. (Should be able to load from another partition on the flash drivd, but worst case you can for sure do this with an external HDD.

As you discovered, the boot volume on your flash drive still needs to be fat32.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Anyone here interested in this AMAZING OPPORTUNITY that’ll look GREAT on your resume?

There are Senior DevOps Developer internships at IBM available! You won’t get paid but the experience you gain will be worth so much more than just money!

https://careers.ibm.com/ShowJob/Id/363789/Sr.-DevOps-Developer-Intern-Summer-2019/

Not sure how you can pay Bay Area rent while not getting paid but I guess you’ll have to look at that as an investment in your future.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

LochNessMonster posted:

Anyone here interested in this AMAZING OPPORTUNITY that’ll look GREAT on your resume?

There are Senior DevOps Developer internships at IBM available! You won’t get paid but the experience you gain will be worth so much more than just money!

https://careers.ibm.com/ShowJob/Id/363789/Sr.-DevOps-Developer-Intern-Summer-2019/

Not sure how you can pay Bay Area rent while not getting paid but I guess you’ll have to look at that as an investment in your future.

This poo poo should be illegal :mad:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

CLAM DOWN posted:

This poo poo should be illegal :mad:

This poo poo is contrary to statute but "there's no law but judge-made law" and all that so, you know: gently caress the poors?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

IBM internships in the bay area for developers pay the equivalent of 60-75k a year. Summer internships only last 2-3 months. All of the big tech companies pay competitive salaries for interns for developers as part of the overall recruitment process. There are probably smaller companies that offer unpaid internships, but overall not common in IT.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Just because it's common doesn't mean it's okay. Unpaid internships should be outlawed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Vargatron posted:

Just because it's common doesn't mean it's okay. Unpaid internships should be outlawed.
This