Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

Is there a distance requirement in the US? We need to have a solo 150nm flight with full stop landings at at least two other airports, and then for the CPL a 300nm radius flight with three other full-stop landings beyond your departure point.

"One solo cross country flight of at least 150nm total distance with full stop landings at 3 points and one segment of at least 50nm between T/O and landings".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CBJSprague24 posted:

"One solo cross country flight of at least 150nm total distance with full stop landings at 3 points and one segment of at least 50nm between T/O and landings".

Cool, I tried googling it and it came up with at least three different versions of the requirement, none of which were actually from the FAA or citing any kind of relevant law.

Sounds pretty much the same as ours but we don't have a 50nm segment requirement (in practice, one of the segments is always over 50nm though). All cross-country solo routes at the PPL level need to be pre-approved by Transport Canada, I think -- we can't just send our students off to wherever. The first cross-country solo is the same one that was done dual, and then the student gets to pick from the list for their second cross-country solo (and go to new and exciting airports!)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

LMAO I was just talking to a friend of mine who is an electrician, and he was telling me that yesterday he got an email from Pacific Coastal Airlines asking if he knew any pilots that might be seeking employment.

The sheer desperation of it is hilarious, not the least of which because those scab fuckers poo poo in their own bed and now they have to lie in it.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

hobbesmaster posted:

How many hours does the typical military transport pilot have when they hop in the right seat?

About 180, but the training isn't even remotely close to the civilian side of the fence.

Not looking to start a debate, but USAF pilots are soloing an 1100HP P-51 lite at 14-17 hours.... the infrastructure that allow the students to do that are cost prohibitive to the outside world.

--

I don't know if a solid 1,500 hours is the right number, but I really enjoy being on the plus side of that. I wish there was a more quantifiable way to make quality worth more. Personally, I learned more in one 2 hour military pattern only sortie than I have in 220 hours on the 737.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

MrChips posted:

LMAO I was just talking to a friend of mine who is an electrician, and he was telling me that yesterday he got an email from Pacific Coastal Airlines asking if he knew any pilots that might be seeking employment.

The sheer desperation of it is hilarious, not the least of which because those scab fuckers poo poo in their own bed and now they have to lie in it.

I had to look them up on Wikipedia to figure out who they were.

It's amazing how much being a scab can come back to haunt somebody, though. One of our current full-time classroom instructors said he had interviewed a pilot at his previous company and had to turn him down because he'd worked for 1980s Continental and would have been eaten alive had the union pilots found out.

Ironically enough, said former pilot was said instructor's immediate predecessor in that job and quit on us out of nowhere.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 5, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MrChips posted:

Yeah, they reek of desperation and no one’s biting. Even the most unsatisfied of our instructors won’t touch that shitpile. It warms the cockles of my heart.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

xaarman posted:

About 180, but the training isn't even remotely close to the civilian side of the fence.

Not looking to start a debate, but USAF pilots are soloing an 1100HP P-51 lite at 14-17 hours.... the infrastructure that allow the students to do that are cost prohibitive to the outside world.

--

I don't know if a solid 1,500 hours is the right number, but I really enjoy being on the plus side of that. I wish there was a more quantifiable way to make quality worth more. Personally, I learned more in one 2 hour military pattern only sortie than I have in 220 hours on the 737.

My point was more that an order of magnitude difference there probably means that congress and the FAA haven't put much thought into it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

My point was more that an order of magnitude difference there probably means that congress and the FAA haven't put much thought into it.

It's the combination of that, the family group with a bloodlust to think they've made (and to defend to the ends of the earth) some sort of change but are fairly clueless, and Captain Sully.

I can't pretend I know what the families went through losing someone on Colgan, but they're to the point of hilarious hypocrisy when they criticize lobbyists despite being lobbyists themselves.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Remind me what the ATPL minimums have to do with Colgan anyway. Both pilots were over the current ATPL minimums significantly, and any pilot who's flown solo should be able to explain why pitching the nose up in an approach to stall is a bad loving idea, which suggests that factors other than experience were most significant in causing that crash.

Experience is great, but I would suggest that no amount of experience could successfully overcome whatever factors caused a trained pilot to gently caress up a basic stall recovery that significantly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They both had little experience flying into icing conditions... which clearly doing 1500 hours of pattern work at a flight school in Florida will help with

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

They both had little experience flying into icing conditions... which clearly doing 1500 hours of pattern work at a flight school in Florida will help with

It doesn't seem to me that a lack of experience in icing conditions meaningfully affected what happened. Icing may have caused the approach to stall, but it was reacting improperly at that point which caused the crash. Like any incident or accident, there's a chain of causes and breaking it at any point would result in the crash not occurring, but it would seem to me that inadequate training on approach-to-stall and stall recovery is a much more significant factor than icing.

As you say, hours spent drilling holes in the sky ain't going to help that, considering both that you wouldn't likely encounter icing conditions, and outside of training situations, your number of approaches-to-stall should be approximately zero.

Given that I'm certain any licensed pilot knows that the only solution to recover from a stall, regardless of cause, is to lower the angle of attack, it stands to reason that the pilots in this case did not identify properly that they were in the approach to a stall or at a stall, which is something that training -- not just experience -- has to fix.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

PT6A posted:

Given that I'm certain any licensed pilot knows that the only solution to recover from a stall, regardless of cause, is to lower the angle of attack, it stands to reason that the pilots in this case did not identify properly that they were in the approach to a stall or at a stall, which is something that training -- not just experience -- has to fix.

The Captain fought the stick shaker. Then, the plane was like "No, I insist", and activated the stick PUSHER, which he again fought.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

CBJSprague24 posted:

The Captain fought the stick shaker. Then, the plane was like "No, I insist", and activated the stick PUSHER, which he again fought.

Yeah, the only thing I can think of is the captain was thinking "the plane is WRONG I can't be in a stall!" or he didn't realize what those systems are and what they do; either way, a big failure of training that goes beyond inexperience with icing conditions.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PT6A posted:

Yeah, the only thing I can think of is the captain was thinking "the plane is WRONG I can't be in a stall!" or he didn't realize what those systems are and what they do; either way, a big failure of training that goes beyond inexperience with icing conditions.

Which is why the FAA went with "he was fat and didn't have a CPAP" :psyduck:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Well, fatigue can cause you to do some seriously dumb, careless poo poo, so I don't think that's necessarily 100% wrong, but on the other hand there are way bigger problems in the industry responsible for dangerous levels of fatigue and they've really done jack poo poo to address those.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
At least we got 117 out of colgan

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

PT6A posted:

Well, fatigue can cause you to do some seriously dumb, careless poo poo, so I don't think that's necessarily 100% wrong, but on the other hand there are way bigger problems in the industry responsible for dangerous levels of fatigue and they've really done jack poo poo to address those.

There are too many grey areas in what is considered “rest” and “duty time.”

It makes total sense when a pilot reads it but try to tell a 135 operator that they can’t pull some bullshit about how they didn’t call you so you were off that day.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It blew my mind to learn that some airlines have a Hobbs rigged to the landing gear, so that they only pay the pilot for time that the gear is up. :psyduck:

Imagining a pilot entering the pattern, dropping the gear, and then leaning back and putting his hands behind his head like "well, my work here is done"

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

It doesn't seem to me that a lack of experience in icing conditions meaningfully affected what happened. Icing may have caused the approach to stall, but it was reacting improperly at that point which caused the crash. Like any incident or accident, there's a chain of causes and breaking it at any point would result in the crash not occurring, but it would seem to me that inadequate training on approach-to-stall and stall recovery is a much more significant factor than icing.

Icing didn't play a role in the Colgan accident, as far as the NTSB determined.

At the time, there was some discussion about the use of the "Ref speeds" switch, which tells the airplane to use a lower critical AOA for the stick pusher/shaker when it's turned on, but it doesn't change where the wing actually stalls.

The most plausible scenario is that the captain pulled back on the yoke either because he panicked or because he half-remembered a video on tailplane icing that Colgan had as part of their training, which does discuss increasing back pressure to break that stall.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
He was a loser freshly upgraded captain nervously chatting with and trying to look cool for his cute female fo and forgot to pay attention and add power back in, then fully panicked. He was a very poor pilot to start with- 5 checkride busts, 2 of which were at colgan in only a few years. He should have never been turned loose(and management emails later came out that indicated colgan *clearly* knew that as well) it took him like 100hrs to kill a bunch of people. That's kind of harsh, but overanalyzing that crash drives me crazy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

greasyhands posted:

He was a loser freshly upgraded captain nervously chatting with and trying to look cool for his cute female fo and forgot to pay attention and add power back in, then fully panicked. He was a very poor pilot to start with- 5 checkride busts, 2 of which were at colgan in only a few years. He should have never been turned loose(and management emails later came out that indicated colgan *clearly* knew that as well) it took him like 100hrs to kill a bunch of people. That's kind of harsh, but overanalyzing that crash drives me crazy.

I flew with a student today that, if by some miracle he actually gets a license at some point (and it would be like an honest-to-god, sainthood-confirming miracle), will be this pilot.

The entire experience of flying with him is one giant :psyduck: vomiting smaller :psyduck:s and what's more, he had a 20 minute whingefest afterward about how it's so unfair that we make him do the same exercises over and over again (it's because he's nowhere loving near flight test standard, FYI) and apparently we're all a bunch of crooks and he has half a mind to sue us. Yeah, friend, I decided to become a flight instructor and take an 80% pay cut from my previous job just to connive ways to bilk you out of $30 a few times a month :rolleyes:. He's also a raging sexist who treats the rest of our staff -- particularly the female ones -- like poo poo.

I'm talking with our chief pilot on Tuesday and getting him kicked the gently caress out because I don't need this poo poo, and no other instructors need this poo poo either. This will not be the first flight school he's been kicked out of either. 120 hours and no closer to getting a PPL than I am to being type-rated for a flying carpet.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 7, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

We’ve all met people like that in life, but I got to this part:

PT6A posted:

120 hours and...

:aaaaa:

Holy poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MrYenko posted:

We’ve all met people like that in life, but I got to this part:

:aaaaa:

Holy poo poo.

It's a sad story, really. He's done it all on credit, and I honestly see no path forward where he ever sees a return on that investment. If the gods bless me with the most exceptional instructional skill in all of history and I managed to get him past a PPL flight test and written exam, I cannot see any way he could ever get to CPL standard or become employed. I have a greater chance of hitting the LottoMax jackpot twice.

Several of his previous instructors have had The Talk with him but he will not listen, and every flight gets him deeper in debt and further into a sunk cost fallacy. I really wish I could do something for this poor fucker but I'm just at my wits' end.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’ll never understand students like that. Like what are you expecting to happen?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Some people suck really hard and want to be a hard sucker than can tell people they’re a pilot.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Some people are taught never to quit or give up on anything.

It's a parenting cliche and it's dumb as poo poo.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya, some people just can't bring themselves to quit anything, even if it's time.

Speaking of which, I ran into the examiner that flunked me on my flight test. He was at the shop looking for ebike parts. After he realized that I held no hard feelings about him flunking me we caught up a bit; talked about flying, what went wrong that day, my subsequent decision to stop.

And then he said I should really do something to keep those skills alive in case I ever decided to get back in to it.

And said 'hey, do you have Microsoft flight simulator or something at home, it'd be a good way to practice a few things'.

Lol if only he knew how that part of my life started.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I'd say there's pretty good odds this guy has some The Secret-type magical thinking going on too.

He's weirdly "over-prepared" for everything, in that he will memorize and regurgitate things over and over, so he's clearly putting time into preparation, it's just that he doesn't do it correctly. The correct way to prep for a lesson on diversions is to review the procedure and maybe practice a few examples on the ground -- not come up with a list of pre-defined location pairs with distances and headings between them. Situational awareness and PDM is basically nil. It's the weirdest thing I've ever seen.

And then he gets upset when I try to re-brief or re-teach stuff he "already knows" (his words) because he was "loving it up" (my words) so it's impossible to fix the problems that are there.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 7, 2018

RazNation
Aug 5, 2015
Geez, that is some scary stuff right there.

So what do you think is the most difficult part of being a pilot? Other than inexperience......asking for a friend.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

RazNation posted:

Geez, that is some scary stuff right there.

So what do you think is the most difficult part of being a pilot? Other than inexperience......asking for a friend.

Making $-100,000 your first year and $30,000 your next three.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

Some people are taught never to quit or give up on anything.

It's a parenting cliche and it's dumb as poo poo.

Some people also have helicopter parents who live vicariously through their kids. While this seems most common with overbearing "I never got to be the starting quarterback so you're going to be one" losers in youth sports, I've seen at least one case where it exists in flight training.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

PT6A posted:

And then he gets upset when I try to re-brief or re-teach stuff he "already knows" (his words) because he was "loving it up" (my words) so it's impossible to fix the problems that are there.

Do preflight or prewalk groundings exist? That’s a pretty poisonous attitude for a student to have.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Rolo posted:

Making $-100,000 your first year and $30,000 your next five or more.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Bob A Feet posted:

Do preflight or prewalk groundings exist? That’s a pretty poisonous attitude for a student to have.

It’s up to my discretion and I haven’t done it yet, but I should’ve done it once before when he was having a tantrum about being switched out of the plane he likes.

This dude is older than I am, just in case you suspected this was some immature teenager.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 7, 2018

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

PT6A posted:

whingefest

Every now and then you're reminded how Canada was a British colony.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rickety Cricket posted:

Every now and then you're reminded how Canada was a British colony.

That's more of a Briticism that I picked up hanging around too many British people, but I find it so nicely encapsulates the range of childish impotent bitching between "reasonable complaint" and actual full-on whining.

We do not use the c-word like Britain and Australia do, be warned!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I forget, is Canada a participant in the Commonwealth games?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Carth Dookie posted:

I forget, is Canada a participant in the Commonwealth games?

Yes.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY
I'd say we needed a "CFIs talking about students" thread but it would basically kill 50% of what happens in this thread

I have some nice students who are dedicated and study and are going to pass their checkrides with flying colors :) and then there's the other 75% of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

And, hey, for all the lovely parts of instructing, I bet none of y'all jet drivers got to do spins today! :v: