Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

flakeloaf posted:

Speaking of things that aren't fair:

Two of these people aren't murderers, but we got the pitchfork sharpener out and these people all did bad things so let's treat them the same.

Who are the non-murderers on that list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Vintersorg posted:

Are they really paying $350K for half a house?

lol. Lordy, don't ever look at Toronto real estate. Your head will spin. You're lucky to get a 450sq. ft. condo for $350k.

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car

infernal machines posted:

lol. Lordy, don't ever look at Toronto real estate. Your head will spin. You're lucky to get a 450sq. ft. condo for $350k.

Yeah, being from Winnipeg and spending the last two months in BC has been eye opening.

Relative to the Winnipeg market though that seems really high for duplex in Transcona. Proximity to Costco seems more like a warning than a perk.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

ExecuDork posted:

ALL of Oak Bay is top of the loot-pillage-burn list.

Eugh, I'm having flashbacks...
Victoria has way too much of that poo poo.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

zapplez posted:

Who are the non-murderers on that list?

They're not murderers because a court found them not criminally responsible for the crime of murder.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

At least you guys don't have to deal with your senator selling her soul to summon a rapist to the highest court.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Health Services posted:

They're not murderers because a court found them not criminally responsible for the crime of murder.

Being “not criminally responsible” for a murder you committed is not quite equal to “not a” murderer.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

They are not guilty of murder

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

ocrumsprug posted:

Being “not criminally responsible” for a murder you committed is not quite equal to “not a” murderer.

It's not equal but equivalent because they did not commit murder, it's factually incorrect to call them "murderers" and really irresponsible to conflate Vince Li with Karla Homolka. The only reason CTV could've had for doing that is to try to stir up public anger at sick people for having the nerve to go to a hospital, get treatment and then be sent home once they're well.

flakeloaf fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 6, 2018

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

flakeloaf posted:

... really irresponsible to conflate Vince Li with Karla Homolka.

100% agree with you.

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
The justice system does and should justify between killings in general and the specific act of murder, which implies much more than "has killed someone".

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

flakeloaf posted:

It's not equal but equivalent because they did not commit murder, it's factually incorrect to call them "murderers" and really irresponsible to conflate Vince Li with Karla Homolka. The only reason CTV could've had for doing that is to try to stir up public anger at sick people for having the nerve to go to a hospital, get treatment and then be sent home once they're well.

Karla also wasn't convicted of murder.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Karla also wasn't convicted of murder.

I.... er.... well yes, that's not what I was looking for but it's very also true.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Grouchio posted:

At least you guys don't have to deal with your senator selling her soul to summon a rapist to the highest court.
We're usually a few years behind on these sorts of things, just wait.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Grouchio posted:

Our senators are lifetime appointments that keep trying to convince everyone that Canada’s genocidal past wasn’t actually that bad

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Jury's still out on who the rapist will be, but his first female supporter in the Senate will definitely be Beyak.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Why are they putting the sidewalk so far up the driveway? I mean, they are huge driveways but that seems excessive...

Growing up in the suburbs of Montreal, the sidewalk at my house was up against the street and my current house in Kitchener has a small boulevard in front of the sidewalk (granted, they driveways are fairly small to begin with).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

DariusLikewise posted:

Our senators are lifetime appointments that keep trying to convince everyone that Canada’s genocidal past wasn’t actually that bad

Brazeau is somehow still a senator.

On the plus side they don’t have the ability to pick the Supreme Court.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

EngineerJoe posted:

Why are they putting the sidewalk so far up the driveway? I mean, they are huge driveways but that seems excessive...

Growing up in the suburbs of Montreal, the sidewalk at my house was up against the street and my current house in Kitchener has a small boulevard in front of the sidewalk (granted, they driveways are fairly small to begin with).

Everything from the new sidewalk to the road is city property. When the lots were laid out they planned to put a wider divided bike path, and may still do so in the future. The excuse the city is using is that the area between the sidewalk and the road will be used for snow storage in winter, but I bet it is at least partly so the homeowners won't start to think of the extra bit as their own property.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

https://twitter.com/Goons_TXT/status/1048392491857268736

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

True, also roads.

Really, almost any kind of contiguous surface. Moats are your only protection.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Jordan7hm posted:

Brazeau is somehow still a senator.

On the plus side they don’t have the ability to pick the Supreme Court.

On the double plus side our judges are in 99% of cases former lawyers who become judges and aren’t elected as Liberals or Conservatives so they tend to be apolitical in decision making.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

DariusLikewise posted:

Oh, hey, related to that, the Edmonton Journal's Paula Simons is now an independent-totally-not-a-Liberal senator. She's generally progressive, reasonable, and writes a lot on First Nations issues. Not a bad pick at all for what the Senate should do.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

True, also roads.

As sad as it sounds, a friend of ours says that the lowest their neighborhood crime rate ever dropped was the period when the bridge between them and north Point Douglas was completely closed due to repairs. Moats, or in this case a river, really do protect against crime.

But still LOL@suburbanites being mad about bike paths.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

True, also roads.

That only serves to open you up to piracy I'm afraid. The only possible solution could be a gate and paying a security guard

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award

Squibbles posted:

That only serves to open you up to piracy I'm afraid. The only possible solution could be a gate and paying a security guard

No no no... If Sid Meyer ever taught me anything- you hire the pirates as privateers to raid the silver train and stick it to those dastardly Spaniards.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

flakeloaf posted:

Jury's still out on who the rapist will be, but his first female supporter in the Senate will definitely be Beyak.

My odds are on Batters first.

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
Does anyone have strong opinions about the Vancouver municipal election? I'm trying to do research but everyone's platform seems to be "something must be done about housing prices."

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

TheOtherContraGuy posted:

Does anyone have strong opinions about the Vancouver municipal election? I'm trying to do research but everyone's platform seems to be "something must be done about housing prices."

Nope, it's just a case of "vote for whoever is least bad and at least has a chance of winning".

Just don't vote for anyone NPA or Coalition Vancouver.

You won't find any info really about the school trustee candidates (yawn), so I'd just go with the Vancouver Secondary Teacher's Association endorsements: http://vsta.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/EndorsedCandidates-handout-HalfSheetpub.pdf

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

TheOtherContraGuy posted:

Kennedy Stewart for mayor; COPE, Greens and OneCity for council; and COPE, Greens, OneCity and Vision for school board and parks

TheOtherContraGuy
Jul 4, 2007

brave skeleton sacrifice
That's essentially what I have. Are there any independents that stand a chance?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Idk. I like Sarah Blyth and will vote for her but I don’t expect she will outperform any of the party candidates.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

How did the slates even happen?

You have, what, 4 Greens, 3 COPE, 2 OneCity + 5 Vision running for 10 seats on the ~progressive~ side, and 8 NPA + 7 Coalition + 5 Yes Vancouver on the right?

It looks like imperfect coordination, like all the parties voluntarily fielded less than a full slate in order to avoid vote splitting, but then still made it so that each of the sides nominated more than 10 candidates to make it so vote splits still happen? It's bizarre - either cooperate or don't!

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

THC posted:

Greens

Municipal Greens bad. Very NIMBY and obstructionist. Not even environment focused, all about SFH and never changing anything.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

That’s true. I guess I thought they’d play along with COPE et al. You could vote for Vision or ProVancouver candidates instead. The main thing is that COPE is poised for a big comeback.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I get to vote for District of North Vancouver candidates. The most important district of North Vancouver!

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Voting in Victoria municipal elections gives me flashbacks to high school exams. One mayor, up to eight councillors, three CRD councillors (some city council candidates also put their name in for CRD council but not all), up to nine school trustees, plus a referendum on whether we should create a committee to study possible amalgamation. We also don't traditionally have parties although there are two this year. NewCouncil (right) has a mayoral candidate and four or five council candidates. Together Victoria (left) has three council candidates. Are you allowed to bring cheat sheets into the polling booth? Because I'm going to have trouble remembering twenty names.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

THC posted:

The main thing is that COPE is poised for a big comeback.

This is good! I did vote for all the COPE candidates. Unless they had one in the mayors race, threw the vote in the for Stewart there just because it seems like a two way between him and the NPA guy.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

COPE was running someone for mayor but he decided to withdraw after he had a stroke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Kibayasu posted:

I get to vote for District of North Vancouver candidates. The most important district of North Vancouver!

I'm in New West where the incumbent mayor is so popular I'll be shocked he doesn't win with 80%+. The only other candidate has publicly whined about discrimination against older white men :thunk: