Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Age and treachery will always beat youthful optimism.

A hard lesson for H. R. Pickens. Or maybe the opposite lesson? Not sure who was as actually older.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7HD2xG92-0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Krispy Wafer posted:

Age and treachery will always beat youthful optimism.
Out of curiosity, where did you hear this phrase? My rugby coach in Annapolis, MD used to say this all the time and he was largely right. Really wise guy. Looks, coaches, and lives like Bill Belichick.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Sometimes it's short and sweet.

Getting scammed right now?

quote:

Someone’s calling me saying that that there’s an arrest warrant on me for failing to do my taxes properly, and I need to go to a store and buy $1000 in gift cards and give the codes to them to prove how much money I have in my account. Then they’ll get rid of the warrant. (Very run down version) They also say if I talk about this with anyone, they’ll use this against me because the calls being recorded. They’re talking with me as we speak.

I dunno, better ask on reddit to be sure.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i mean that is better than... just doing it

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I was dumb and cosigned a car loan for a friend. - personalfinance

quote:

Hey all -- from the title and my obvious throwaway username, you've already guessed it. I (26f) was dumb. Super dumb. I was sitting next to my (really good, perhaps best) friend (25f) while she was trying to buy a car after she had totaled her previous one, and her credit alone wasn't enough to get a new (used) vehicle. I was like, "oh well, we'll be friends forever, right?" and cosigned. I already know it wasn't a good idea, so if we can stay away from the "well you shouldn't have cosigned" responses, that'd be great. If that would solve all of my problems, I wouldn't be posting, but here I am. For personal reasons that don't belong on this thread, I'm worried that she'll use our cosigned auto loan to further tank my already low credit score. Any options on how I can save my credit if she decides to be the worst kind of person?

So far, the account is still in good standing as she's been on time with every single one of her payments for the 15 months she's had the car. There's roughly $12,300 left on the loan, with a little less than 4 years, and if it matters, the monthly payment is $300.

Side note: i'm also writing a post for r/legaladvice to see what my legal options are. This post is specifically about how to potentially save my credit score should it come down to it, not for what my options are legally.

Going good so far, I guess...

OP posted:

In short, no. She ended the friendship with me this morning.

Uh oh...

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 5, 2018

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Toddler shreds parents' cash

quote:

On Sunday, his parents, Ben and Jackee Belnap, from the Salt Lake City area, noticed an important envelope containing $1,060 had gone mysteriously missing, as they told KSL.

For the past year, the die-hard University of Utah football fans had been saving up the money to pay back Ben’s parents for season tickets, they said.

They started tearing the house apart to search for the cash — under the rugs, in the drawers, in the couch, even in the garbage, News4Utah reported.

“I’m digging through the trash,” Ben Belnap told KSL, “and [Jackee] hollers and says, ‘I found it.’”

It was in the shredder. In a thousand tiny pieces.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Oct 5, 2018

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Why do people never use the loving bank?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

On the plus side, they should be able to send that to the Treasury and get it mostly back. If they can find 51% of a bill they’ll replace it

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Aw man, that's sad. Sounds like they were using the envelope system?

Isn't Krispy Wafer a bank teller? Can't you bring a bunch of damaged bills and get them replaced? Maybe I made this up but I thought there was a way to salvage ruined money.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Aw man, that's sad. Sounds like they were using the envelope system?

Isn't Krispy Wafer a bank teller? Can't you bring a bunch of damaged bills and get them replaced? Maybe I made this up but I thought there was a way to salvage ruined money.

You can, and the article already says that they've contacted the official government people about this. It says it can take 6 months to 3 years though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, they'll swap out the cash. You may need to tape it all together so that the serial is readable. That was just shredded and not cross-cut so it's possible to fix it.

Back when I was a teller I started taking 25% off the ratty cash we'd just be sending to the Fed and building my own money with it. I made a single bill with all the denominations because why not. Also made a lollypop man with George Washington's face.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
If you send the federal government a bunch of shredded cash will they really spend hundreds of man hours ($$$) piecing it back together for you?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

OctaviusBeaver posted:

If you send the federal government a bunch of shredded cash will they really spend hundreds of man hours ($$$) piecing it back together for you?

Well I definitely want to correct your assumption that the federal government and specifically the treasury or mint operate with any sense of the accounting profitability or cost of the things that they do, but that being said they probably would not unless as stated above you were able to at least partially piece the money back together with clearly legible unique serial numbers

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yes, they do it for free. The reason for this is that people need to have faith in the durability of currency for it to work. If you tell people 'oh sorry your house flooded, now your money is worthless lol' then they'll be less inclined to keep and use currency - instead they'll look for something that they can hope will survive damage or disaster. Obviously this is less of a modern concern now that the alternatives are bank accounts and bitcoins, but it was a big deal for a long period of history where the idea that if your house burned down you could at least get some of your damaged savings redeemed was important.

They actually ask that you not try too much self-help before submitting the damaged currency, so you don't have to try to piece anything together yourself - this is because someone who buried their money in a coffee can and now its a damp brick is going to do more damage trying to fix it themselves than the people who have this as their job at the treasury.

They don't even need to have the majority of a note to reimburse you, as long as there is enough to identify it and they can be confident the rest was destroyed (ie, if your moldering mess satisfies them that you didn't manage to clip notes apart and attach them to some decomposing linen perfectly).

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Four Little Tricks That’ll Help You Stop Mentioning Horses in Job Interviews

Saw this headline in my Facebook feed; made me wonder if a Reductress writer lurks this thread. (if you are not acquainted, they are like a womens' The Onion or Clickhole)

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 minutes!
Grimey Drawer

The bad with money here isn't shredding the money, or not putting it into the bank; the bad with money here is going into debt for loving football tickets.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Cash Confessions: On AUD215k we still struggle to make ends meet

quote:

As parents of an eight-year-old son [and two other children who only get mentioned in the opening paragraph], their gross income is more than $215,000 a year, a figure more than $100,000 above the national household average. But Toby, a finance manager, and Leanne, a teacher, say it’s just not enough.

"...we aren’t able to save much at all … only around $5950 each year... Our biggest expenses are education for our son, transportation and our personal loans”

As a financial manager, Toby keeps a tight grip on his family’s expenditure each month to ensure they don’t dip into the red. But it’s the repayment of their $100,000 personal loan that hits their hip pocket the hardest each week. This includes paying off $46,000 on a Subaru Forrester bought in 2016, and $38,000 on a Hyundai i40. “We pay $1000 each fortnight for the personal loan,” he said. “The loan includes the cars, piano and some holidays.”

“Rent is quite expensive,” he said. “We spend $600 a week and the average would be around $400. There is a lot of crime up here, and we wanted to be in a nicer area. So it’s a five-bedroom house with a pool on the golf course... we don’t know where to cut expenses. Education ($866/month) is important to us."

While two cars was a big drain on their annual incomes, Toby said the household couldn’t function with one. Each month, the pair will spend close to $2000 each month on repayments, fuel, registration, insurance and servicing for their fleet.

Edit: Oh, my adblock hid the actual budget, no need for my guesswork. There's a picture on the page if you want to know the details about their piano & recorder & tennis lessons and dancing & swimming & golf fees, none of which go into the "entertainment" category, as well as $1100 on "cars" that isn't fuel, maintenance, registration, insurance or loan repayments.

uvar fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 6, 2018

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Thanatosian posted:

The bad with money here isn't shredding the money, or not putting it into the bank; the bad with money here is going into debt for loving football tickets.

University of Utah football tickets not loving U.

No premarital sex allowed!

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

How the gently caress did he spend 46e3 on a Subaru Forrester?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Because it was taken from someone else's forest #treelaw

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 minutes!
Grimey Drawer

RoastBeef posted:

46e3 AUD.

About $33,000 American.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

RoastBeef posted:

An Australian dollar is only worth $0.70 USD, there are significant tariffs on cars imported to Australia, and taxes are higher. So it isn't crazy that an optioned Subaru Forester could cost $46k AUD I guess.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Thanatosian posted:

Our soon to be newest Supreme Court Justice carried hundreds of thousands of dollars in credit card debt for "baseball tickets for friends" for years.

It mysteriously went to zero last year though so maybe gwm

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Yeah, I think Kavanaugh is pretty gwm right now.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

uvar posted:

Cash Confessions: On AUD215k we still struggle to make ends meet

Edit: Oh, my adblock hid the actual budget, no need for my guesswork. There's a picture on the page if you want to know the details about their piano & recorder & tennis lessons and dancing & swimming & golf fees, none of which go into the "entertainment" category, as well as $1100 on "cars" that isn't fuel, maintenance, registration, insurance or loan repayments.

I'm the 108 kangaroo bucks a month on loving recorder lessons. Who the gently caress pays for recorder lessons and why.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Raldikuk posted:

I'm the 108 kangaroo bucks a month on loving recorder lessons. Who the gently caress pays for recorder lessons and why.

Dawg have you ever heard someone really rock out on the recorder?

Sublime. Simply perfection.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

“Rent is quite expensive,” he said. “We spend $600 a week and the average would be around $400. There is a lot of crime up here, and we wanted to be in a nicer area. So it’s a five-bedroom house with a pool on the golf course... we don’t know where to cut expenses

Ah bloo bloo bloooooo my five bedroom house costs $2400/mo

I actually got angry reading that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dick Nipples posted:

I have and it was loving painful.

My dog was doing the basenji yodel and he was a standard poodle.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I would have to assume that budget is made up since there are 6 line items dedicated to cars. Miscellaneous is probably a car item too.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Volmarias posted:

Ah bloo bloo bloooooo my five bedroom house costs $2400/mo

I actually got angry reading that.

What, do you want him to live in an area with **poors**?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

brugroffil posted:

Our soon to be newest Supreme Court Justice carried hundreds of thousands of dollars in credit card debt for "baseball tickets for friends" for years.

It mysteriously went to zero last year though so maybe gwm

I thought 'baseball tickets' was a euphemism for sports betting.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

BigDave posted:

Maybe he can declare the new roughing the passer rules unconstitutional.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

BigDave posted:

Oh almost definitely

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

brugroffil posted:

Oh almost definitely

No, it’s even worse than that. It was Nationals season tickets.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

I have and it was loving painful.

My dog was doing the basenji yodel and he was a standard poodle.

I beg to differ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz7LvCS1oXM

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Tomfoolery posted:

In case you missed it, Slow Motion posted an update thread!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3869178

He did it! He got out of debt and no longer takes drugs at the opera!

Dropping acid at the opera sounds rad.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1048429261739024386

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Lol. God drat millennial horses

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Dick Nipples posted:

On the other hand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xojO-4VFPw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Lowness 72 posted:

Lol. God drat millennial horses

Millennial horses are killing the bridle industry.