Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I Said No posted:

except the ones who would start arguments and then say "ha ha i griefed the thread"
those can rest in piss

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Don Gato posted:

To even tie it into the RPG chat, I vaguely remember the tire fire that was Pathfinder Online specifically having a community that was terrified of what GOONS would do in game and constantly whined to the devs to stop those dastardly GOONS before they ruined a beautiful world!

This is for a game that was basically the fantasy version of Star Citizen for how likely it was to come out. There was an interesting postmortem posted on these forums somewhere but I cant find it right now.

Pathfinder Online actually did come out in a more playable form than Star Citizen ever will, but the punchline is that what's there is so terminally uninteresting that not even the most terminally bored of SA posters could be bothered to play it. It turns out that the best way to grief PFO players is to just let them play PFO.

It may not be the one you're thinking of but I wrote up a half-assed history of Pathfinder Online and its downward trajectory in the gaming Kickstarter thread here.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

20 years, huh.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

GWBBQ posted:

Let me guess, they play a Glitter Boy.

No but there was one in the party. I think he played a Sphinx

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Solice Kirsk posted:

What the hell is wrong with people? I've been doing keto for a few months and I don't eat weird gross poo poo like that. Mostly lots of salads and chicken. And breakfast food. Breakfast food has been the saving grace for keeping me on this stupid thing.

I do miss pancakes though....

Pumpkin puree (diy or find one without added sugar) and eggs makes a nice low-carb pancake batter, and you can fake a crepe with eggs. :science:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My sister makes protein powder pancakes, not sure what else goes in them but they are delicious

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Third World Reggin posted:

rest in piece video game griefing thread

Anybody have a link to it? There was good poo poo in there.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Pumpkin puree (diy or find one without added sugar) and eggs makes a nice low-carb pancake batter, and you can fake a crepe with eggs. :science:

Adding a tablespoon to a dog’s meal keeps them from eating all the poop in designated poop area in the yard as well. Plus my dogs *love* it. (But yeah, the no added sugar kind for sure)

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Ariong posted:

Can left ovaries also be stabbed? Or do cis women and trans men have an advantage in the FATAL setting because they only have two swordable points?

If I remember correctly, any swordplay in FATAL is basically... well, fatal. The books have been mocked relentlessly on these forums and outside, but on top of all the pervy stuff the game itself is basically unplayable. Get into one fight, and if the opponent lands a single hit the DM rolls two hundred dice throws and checks tables for a good half hour before telling you that your kidneys are ruptured, your guts are falling out, the wound is infected and you are super dead.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I don't actually have any particular feelings on the subject, but there've been reports about the three-page discussion about RPGs. So, move on, I suppose.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

in extremely PYF voice

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

For those who want to continue dunking on FATAL, the current FATAL & Friends thread might be the least bad place for it. The original writeup that kicked off the first thread is also archived offsite.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational

kjetting posted:

If I remember correctly, any swordplay in FATAL is basically... well, fatal. The books have been mocked relentlessly on these forums and outside, but on top of all the pervy stuff the game itself is basically unplayable. Get into one fight, and if the opponent lands a single hit the DM rolls two hundred dice throws and checks tables for a good half hour before telling you that your kidneys are ruptured, your guts are falling out, the wound is infected and you are super dead.

And also you poop. There's a result on a damage table there somewhere that says if you get critted in the butt or something poop flies out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

slash stab posted:

I don't actually have any particular feelings on the subject, but there've been reports about the three-page discussion about RPGs. So, move on, I suppose.

Do PYF posters being the most report happy types count? The shaming thread is pretty rad because of how people reported (still do?) things like "memes outside the meme thread" because it was the rules like 4 mods ago

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Anybody have a link to it? There was good poo poo in there.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2886637

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Kai Tave posted:

Pathfinder Online actually did come out in a more playable form than Star Citizen ever will, but the punchline is that what's there is so terminally uninteresting that not even the most terminally bored of SA posters could be bothered to play it. It turns out that the best way to grief PFO players is to just let them play PFO.

It may not be the one you're thinking of but I wrote up a half-assed history of Pathfinder Online and its downward trajectory in the gaming Kickstarter thread here.

Color me surprised, I could have sworn it was just one of countless MMOs that promised the moon and died before release. And while that isn't the thread I was thinking of, it reminded me of how mismanaged that entire project was from the word go.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Yesssss. You rule, thank you.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I tried this yesterday and it was awesome. If you weren't a stranger on the internet I'd ask you to marry me.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yesssss. You rule, thank you.

hnnnngh someone make a new griefing thread pls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYcXcCpD0qA

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

mmj posted:

And also you poop. There's a result on a damage table there somewhere that says if you get critted in the butt or something poop flies out.

there was a mechanic for how far you could piss, and you could conceivably invest experience points into piss distance

conceivably, you could have played as a piss sniper just wizzin' in the eyes of your enemies from 800 yards. no damage, but it would inflict them with the Blinded status debuff

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Today, on the History Channel: Sniper Vs. Sniper

Billy "Hot Shot" Pissrags: It wasn't until they recovered that fuckin' Nong's sniper rifle that I realized what had happened. The only way I could have landed a stream through his own sights is if we were looking down the barrel at each other. It just came down to who felt they could pull the trigger first.

I respect him. Nothing is more intimate than a sniper duel. Nothing can describe it. Snake Eater came close. I still refuse to learn his name, though.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

I tried this yesterday and it was awesome. If you weren't a stranger on the internet I'd ask you to marry me.

hey uh, any of ya'll got a recipe for this

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pimblor posted:

hey uh, any of ya'll got a recipe for this

I’m down if you’re rich and ok with marrying a dude. Only addendum to that is you have to call me “Abs Lincoln”

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
drat, I missed the dunking on ShadowDragon session :negative:
Dude was so loving full of himself; he accused another goon of 'fearquitting' in a MegaMek session because dude refused to go through a custom map that he'd set up. Said custom map had him in a mech with super-long range weapons, on the top of a mountain, facing down into a very narrow ravine with nothing to hide behind.
"You don't want to charge into my killzone? Heh, guess that means I win :smug:"

E: I still have the Pastebin of that! https://pastebin.com/7duqsq8i

Malachite_Dragon has a new favorite as of 02:30 on Oct 7, 2018

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Don Gato posted:

Color me surprised, I could have sworn it was just one of countless MMOs that promised the moon and died before release. And while that isn't the thread I was thinking of, it reminded me of how mismanaged that entire project was from the word go.

I mean it's dead in all but the most pedantic of senses, what exists does so in a state of perpetual alpha-state playability where it technically, by certain definitions, qualifies as a game except for the part where it's missing 90% of the features one might typically associate with games like enemies with AI, completed maps, gameplay, etc. It turns out the way to make a goon-proof game is to make a game where there's nothing for goons to do. People still pay money for it though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Kai Tave posted:

I mean it's dead in all but the most pedantic of senses, what exists does so in a state of perpetual alpha-state playability where it technically, by certain definitions, qualifies as a game except for the part where it's missing 90% of the features one might typically associate with games like enemies with AI, completed maps, gameplay, etc. It turns out the way to make a goon-proof game is to make a game where there's nothing for goons to do. People still pay money for it though.

Goons did manage to be a nuisance in Endless Forest or whatever the mildly creepy deer game was.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
Speaking of which, I remember one of the early WoW-killers (Age of Conan maybe?) had a whole saga with goons really blatantly stealing the guild name of one of the major "uberguilds" and causing massive chaos when the game had been out for all of like twelve minutes. I remember hearing about it from Captain Corduroy when he still worked for Blizzard and it was great, and I wish I could remember which dead gay MMO it was :(

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

In Age of Wushu goons murdered another clan and stole their clan hall. The other clan was called Sanguine Moon so because goons they made a splinter clan named Sanguine Goon and based it out of the stolen hall

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Dude was so loving full of himself; he accused another goon of 'fearquitting' in a MegaMek session because dude refused to go through a custom map that he'd set up. Said custom map had him in a mech with super-long range weapons, on the top of a mountain, facing down into a very narrow ravine with nothing to hide behind.

:allears:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Thank you so much for this, Malachite. I knew one of you fuckers would have the pastebin of him stroking himself off to his 'optimal 'mech build' nonsense.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Len posted:

In Age of Wushu goons murdered another clan and stole their clan hall. The other clan was called Sanguine Moon so because goons they made a splinter clan named Sanguine Goon and based it out of the stolen hall

This was fun times but the leader of sanguine moon was probably insane or had mental health issues. We even stole their original character do not steal forum signature picture and placed obama over the face and one lined their name on it. They were very, very upset.

Sanguine Goon though caused a lot of drama and grief which Sanguine Moon got blamed for because of course if you had a second guild you would name it in a similar manner.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Wasn't Age of Wushu the MMO that would accept Subway gift cards as a form of payment somehow? I also remember that it had a pretty great drunken master class with an ability to vomit booze on people which would, naturally, render them drunk which was a status effect that affected your vision and controls, so naturally a bunch of goons spent a bunch of time chain-vomiting on people to drunk-lock them.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Third World Reggin posted:

This was fun times but the leader of sanguine moon was probably insane or had mental health issues. We even stole their original character do not steal forum signature picture and placed obama over the face and one lined their name on it. They were very, very upset.

Sanguine Goon though caused a lot of drama and grief which Sanguine Moon got blamed for because of course if you had a second guild you would name it in a similar manner.

Signature game on point: http://www.ageofwushu.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=3565

Miss that game. Griefing potential was off the charts.
The boss fight mechanic where it teleported in 5 PVP'ers to fight along side of the boss against people trying to PVE was loving amazing. Being on comms and able to coordinate it because we made up so much of the population was loving sweet. I wish other games copied that, and the movement skills.

Kai Tave posted:

Wasn't Age of Wushu the MMO that would accept Subway gift cards as a form of payment somehow? I also remember that it had a pretty great drunken master class with an ability to vomit booze on people which would, naturally, render them drunk which was a status effect that affected your vision and controls, so naturally a bunch of goons spent a bunch of time chain-vomiting on people to drunk-lock them.

It was one of them, yeah. The payment processor they used accepted gift cards from a lot of places. It's not that they were getting "Subway" dollars, the logo on the card was essentially meaningless since you were buying "PaymentProcessorBux." Subway was just the easiest to find card for that processor in a lot of places. You could put money into World of Tanks and Warframe the same way.

quote:

so naturally a bunch of goons spent a bunch of time chain-vomiting on people to drunk-lock them.

That was amazing to do in heavy populated areas.

MisterOblivious has a new favorite as of 07:01 on Oct 7, 2018

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Kai Tave posted:

Yes. You can trigger angetbeet by telling him you found a new mmo that accepts subway gift cards.

Also yes. Should be like page 280 in the griefing thread but a lot of the stories were in the wushu thread ~somewhere~

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

this one's a bit hazy but as I recall in Wushu there were player owned stores that you could rent to sell items out of, and the ones in a particular central market area were very profitable. You also had to come and renew your lease at a specific time in order to maintain ownership. We basically set up giant roadblocks around the marketplace in order to prevent all the owners from getting in and paying their rent so they all had to forfeit their stores.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

cock hero flux posted:

this one's a bit hazy but as I recall in Wushu there were player owned stores that you could rent to sell items out of, and the ones in a particular central market area were very profitable. You also had to come and renew your lease at a specific time in order to maintain ownership. We basically set up giant roadblocks around the marketplace in order to prevent all the owners from getting in and paying their rent so they all had to forfeit their stores.

All things considered, you can't really blame people too much for hating goons.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
That's one of the many, many things Ryan Dancey never really seemed to get about MMO design. You can't just shout "EMERGENT GAMEPLAY!" and magic it into existence, there has to be an actual game for gameplay to emerge out of. For all the poo poo he talks about WoW it still lets crazy stuff happen like the Corrupted Blood plague or infinitely stacking shapeshifted druids, and Age of Wushu is another great example of this in action where there are all these systems and ways you can gently caress with them to produce entertaining results.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Len posted:

Do PYF posters being the most report happy types count? The shaming thread is pretty rad because of how people reported (still do?) things like "memes outside the meme thread" because it was the rules like 4 mods ago

What shaming thread is this?

Years ago when people wouldn’t shut up about the image macro/meme de jour I didn’t mind a rule like “hey, keep the signal/noise ratio super low so we can have some sort of discussion, plus some folks still don’t have an internet connection that can handle loading pages of macros and gifs, here’s a few places to spam memes all you want, go hog wild there.” Then even in the macro thread it became a rule not to post the same one on the same page or you’d get a probation - not a sixer, but like a week. I recall specifically there’d be races to post “we’ve got a badass over here” and it was the first post per page for pages on end.

One macro thread that stands out was of a cat driving where every other poster kept adding text to the image until it was completely obscured by layers of impact font, which at the time was hilarious to me because it was a moment of goon synchrony where everyone wordlessly agreed to progressively photoshop something, sometimes to the annoyance of someone else in the thread (probably the same sort who still reports memes outside a meme thread). It was no “hey can someone remove this ski” though, which to this day is my favorite inadvertent photoshop thread.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

What shaming thread is this?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617914

No new posts for a year, but it's still great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Its also closed and locked so we can't beg for more.

So we should beg for more here