Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Spatulater bro! posted:

Holy gently caress, Hereditary, holy gently caress.

Ahahahaha

correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Spatulater bro! posted:

Holy gently caress, Hereditary, holy gently caress.

This flick owned.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
There's things I really, really like about Hereditary and things I really, really don't like, and in both cases my reasons are weirdly personal.

I really, really like pretty much all the Paimon poo poo because I'm a pretty huge occult nerd and holy poo poo a movie where the filmmakers actually cracked open the loving Ars Goetia for once instead of just using pop-culture Satan poo poo.

I really, really don't like pretty much the entire first half of the movie up until it's 100% clear that occult poo poo is going on, because the kind of familial abuse shown in it hits way too close to home to the extent that it's almost straight-up triggering.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

How are the Psycho sequels?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

sponges posted:

How are the Psycho sequels?

2 is insanely good, 3 is alright, don't bother with 4

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Yeah I caught 2 for the first time a couple of years ago and was pleasantly surprised by how legit it is.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hereditary owned very good.

Just finished Black Belly of the Tarantula and I'm watching Sleepaway Camp for the first time wish me luck.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

2 is insanely good, 3 is alright, don't bother with 4

Right on man.

I won’t bother with the remake either.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Also if you're watching Psycho and/or Psycho II this October, be sure to throw in Ken Russell's Crimes of Passion to watch alongside it. I don't know how strictly "horror" it is, but Anthony Perkins is great in it as always and it came out like a year after Psycho II.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Just thinking about that sequence in Hereditary still makes me feel like there's a stone in my stomach.

I really need to rewatch it and see how it plays on a second viewing.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I love the escalation of Hereditary, both in terms of what happens and how it moves along. It starts as a slow, moody family drama and ends as a sort of gonzo freakout.

It’s like if Hitchcock directed Evil Dead.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Coffee And Pie posted:

I love the escalation of Hereditary, both in terms of what happens and how it moves along. It starts as a slow, moody family drama and ends as a sort of gonzo freakout.

It’s like if Hitchcock directed Evil Dead.

That’s actually a really good comparison.

Edit: Today’s movie was Truth or Dare (2017). We decided to watch it because we say the Truth or Dare that came out this wheat and were really surprised that another movie with the same name and premise came out so close.

Like this 2017 one better because it is a LOT more brutal, and there are way more good dare scenes. They get way more visceral with it and the gore is pretty good.

It’s still a silly stupid movie but it’s more fun that the news one.

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 6, 2018

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
It's been on my watchlist forever but finally got around to The Wicker Man (1973). More psychedelic than I was expecting but obviously makes sense given when it was made. It keeps a relatively silly tone throughout but that ending is still very effective.

Not to denigrate the film but all but it felt quite a bit like a movie-sized version of an episode of The Prisoner. And now I'm imagining a(nother) remake of The Prisoner but this time starring Nicolas Cage.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

my only beef was they got rid of that gritty 2000s green filter griminess characteristic of Saw and made it look "clean" but yeah that twist was nuts and the movie was good

I watched half of it last night (It's on Amazon Prime now) and it takes place in a happy barnyard, which is weird. I'm guessing it's going to delve into the origins of all the Saw movie piggies.

Also, the traps are way less torturey so far, which is a nice change.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm watching Sleepaway Camp for the first time wish me luck.

Wish you luck? I'm jealous as hell, I wish I could watch Sleepaway Camp for a first time on loop.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Sleepaway Camp has a top 3 horror movie moment.

You’ll know it when you get there.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

avoid these movies like the loving plague and read the excellent manga or watch the only marginally less excellent anime instead

it's basically "what if The Thing went global, one of the Things ended up in a weird spot, and decided to be bros with his host and fight evil"

way ahead of you, I watched Parasyte as it aired

I'll check out Plankton. Thanks guys.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Hulu's Into the Dark first episode The Body is total garbage avoid.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Rewatched Savageland while less sleepy, did a 180 on it. I totally misread the message in my last post, it was a lot more engaging than I gave it credit for and it did the miraculous, making the concept of a zombie outbreak scary, by making me mostly imagine it myself. If a Serial style true crime human interest piece that veers sharply into the paranormal sounds good, it's worth your time. On Amazon Prime.

E: also, let me reiterate, I'm super happy it reminded me that Zoviet:France is still a thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

boop the snoot posted:

Sleepaway Camp has a top 3 horror movie moment.

You’ll know it when you get there.

Yeah, learning that James Earle Jones has a brother who's also an actor was a big surprise to me as well.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah, learning that James Earle Jones has a brother who's also an actor was a big surprise to me as well.

Even better, it's his dad.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Been to any good local haunted houses? I have some thoughts on missed opportunities in these. Went to a decent one yesterday.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

mysterious frankie posted:

Rewatched Savageland while less sleepy, did a 180 on it. I totally misread the message in my last post, it was a lot more engaging than I gave it credit for and it did the miraculous, making the concept of a zombie outbreak scary, by making me mostly imagine it myself. If a Serial style true crime human interest piece that veers sharply into the paranormal sounds good, it's worth your time. On Amazon Prime.

E: also, let me reiterate, I'm super happy it reminded me that Zoviet:France is still a thing.

I loved Savageland and showed it to my wife and daughter, who also loved it. What's Zoviet:France?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Narzack posted:

I loved Savageland and showed it to my wife and daughter, who also loved it. What's Zoviet:France?

Newcastle industrial duo. I only found out about them 'cause some of their cassettes are on NoiseArch. https://archive.org/details/noise-arch_zo-fr

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zwabu posted:

Been to any good local haunted houses? I have some thoughts on missed opportunities in these. Went to a decent one yesterday.

I've only done HHN Orlando so far, but I'm about to go on a huge road trip from Orlando to LA to Philadelphia and hitting everything I can on the way.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Does anyone have any recommendations for crowd pleasers? I'm thinking stuff that's either bonkers, or things like You're Next, where the movie makes jubilant twists that people who aren't heavy into horror tropes can appreciate.

I'm having a bunch of people over later and I've got a bunch of staples, but some wildcards to throw in would be appreciated. Thanks thread

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Blast Fantasto posted:

Even better, it's his dad.

I always thought it was his brother. Good to know.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Lurdiak posted:

The sequel isn't just not as good, it's horrible. The leads can't act, the sets look like Shakma, and the directing is awful. But the effects gags are top notch. This is because they had the effects guy direct the moive. :v:

"Production design on this flick is straight Shakma."

I'm keeping this in the vocab, thanks.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Is Jack-O the worst Halloween themed horror movie?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

I've only done HHN Orlando so far, but I'm about to go on a huge road trip from Orlando to LA to Philadelphia and hitting everything I can on the way.

Please update this thread with reviews. I still haven't gotten haunted houses out of my statement since HHN a couple weeks back.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dissapointed Owl posted:

"Production design on this flick is straight Shakma."

I'm keeping this in the vocab, thanks.

My fiancee and I were talking about movies we were traumatized by as kids, and she mentioned that her parents had some creepy baboon movie on VHS that hosed her up

A quick google later and it turned out to be loving Shakma :lol:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I love that in all the scenes in that movie where the baboon attacks a door, he's doing so with a raging ape boner because they convinced the IRL baboon to do it by putting a lady baboon in heat on the other side of the door

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I love that in all the scenes in that movie where the baboon attacks a door, he's doing so with a raging ape boner because they convinced the IRL baboon to do it by putting a lady baboon in heat on the other side of the door

:lol:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I, for one, am Shakma'd!

...I mean if we're doing RedLetterMedia trivia I might as well steal Jay's joke :v:

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

I just watched The Voices. I have never laughed and been terrified at the same time. Ryan Reynolds killed it.
:smugdog:

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Just watched Searching. Probably not technically horror unless you’re a dad, which I’m not, but it was actually really good?

It’s in the same format as the Unfriended movies where everything is done on computer screens, but I think this is the best of that format I’ve seen. Only issue I have with it is that all the computer mouse movement is unrealistically precise. Not one waggle trying to find the cursor in the whole movie.

Throughout the movie there were some story things that bugged me, but it all pays off. Highly recommend. John Cho carries the poo poo out of the whole movie.

Null of Undefined fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 7, 2018

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

P_T_S posted:

I just watched The Voices. I have never laughed and been terrified at the same time. Ryan Reynolds killed it.

Reynolds managed to pull off a role where I desperately wanted him to stop doing the things he was doing because I somehow was hoping this could work out for the guy no matter how impossible that seemed. I just couldn't stop liking the guy and feeling bad for him.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Null of Undefined posted:

Just watched Searching. Probably not technically horror unless you’re a dad, which I’m not, but it was actually really good?

It’s in the same format as the Unfriended movies where everything is done on computer screens, but I think this is the best of that format I’ve seen. Only issue I have with it is that all the computer mouse movement is unrealistically precise. Not one waggle trying to find the cursor in the whole movie.

Throughout the movie there were some story things that bugged me, but it all pays off. Highly recommend. Jon Cho carries the poo poo out of the whole movie.
I went in completely blind. John Cho finally got his leading role and knocked it out of the park.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Debra Messing unsurprisingly plays smug very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

P_T_S posted:

That's a really sadly overlooked movie, I thought it was pretty good too. And it's directed by Marjane Satrapi, better known as the director of Persepolis.

I really just want to know the story of how the director of Persepolis was approached to direct a dark comedy where Ryan Reynolds plays a serial killer who talks to his dog, cat and decapitated heads.