Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I know that my four australium weapons (Flamethrower, Axetinguisher, Blutsauger and Medigun) and my Flamethrower/Medigun are both worth at least $100.

For a while I was working towards getting everything the pyro could wear and one unusual (currently 16) of each type, and I did manage to snag a strange of every possible pyro weapon, professional killstreakers for all the main weapons, and almost every single hat and misc. Just because I have spent so many thousands of hours loving the game that I wanted to play super pyro dress-up but there got to be too much and lots of overlaps. So I wound it down and just keep alternating my current things :D

I renamed absolutely everything I could and put descriptions on them and strangified things and put special counters on things. I got so so so much joy out of this game not just from playing but messing with my characters. I even bought the wega models of the pyro, demo, and heavy :D This game has been one of the best games and I love that I can still jump in and have fun 8 years later. Even if not 100% the same, it still provides something for me.

Favourite maps have to be cp_badlands, koth_harvest, plr_hightower and ctf_doublecross. I will gladly play any of those again and again forever :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

TF2 remains on my list of favorite games, and I still load it up from time to time.

It's also such an old game that I can easily run it with all settings maxed out forever.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Video Graves posted:

Favourite maps have to be cp_badlands, koth_harvest, plr_hightower and ctf_doublecross. I will gladly play any of those again and again forever :D

My man have you tried Banana Bay? It's like Hightower but better.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jabor posted:

Back when ISP servers used to be a thing, I always played on one titled simply "Bad Maps". At first I thought it was a misnomer, because the map was always fantastic, but then I realised it was just alternating between cp_badlands and pl_badwater.

Those are my two favorite maps, with that one koth_map with the snow, and the train tracks that go over the point.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Those are my two favorite maps, with that one koth_map with the snow, and the train tracks that go over the point.

Pretty sure all maps with trains in them are the best maps.

On that note, I was very happy when Frontier became an official community map.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

My man have you tried Banana Bay? It's like Hightower but better.

:yeah:

Banana Bay is really good. I want to like Hightower, but I can't abide a round that never ends. Fortunately Helltower doesn't seem to have that problem. Scream Fortress is on its way! wooooo! :spooky:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I dunno. Endless TDM is my poo poo when I want it. Thats why I like Hightower turbine and 2fort

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I like a HT round to end eventually. Generally I also like to try to push the cart to the platform then ignore it.

What I don't like are when one team goes super tryhard with like 3 heavies and pocket meds because... WHY

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I've probably played 500+ hours of Hightower just as pyro.

I regret nothing.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I always pick up TF2 again around Halloween for Scream Fortress and have a blast. Usually my enthusiasm lasts through the end of the year before I suddenly realize I've been buying keys again and I pull myself away until it repeats again.

So uh...when does Scream Fortress start?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I had a thought with map chat that kind of blew my mind. The vast majority of those playing TF2 currently have never heard of Hydro nor know that TC was even a game mode at one point in TF2

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Hydro was my favorite map at release, rip hydro

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I managed to land in a game of Watergate yesterday. It must be two years since I last played it, couldn't remember the layout at all.

WE ARE IN THE BEAM!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Asteroid is best map and it's a drat shame it never got finished

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Asteroid is great! I cannot believe that one slipped my mind! (A bit like Valve)

In fact my Official Map Official Tier list would be the following:

TOPPEST:
Badlands (CP)
Doublecross (CTF)
Helltower (PLR)
Harvest (KOTH)
Asteroid (RD)
Gravelpit (AD)

GREAT:
Well (CP)
Turbine (CTF)
Coldfront (CP)
Foundry (CP)
Freight (CP)
Dustbowl (AD)
ThunderMountain (PL)
Hightower (KOTH)
KongKing (KOTH)
Lakeside (KOTH)
Nucleus (KOTH)

GOOD:
Gorge (CP)
Granary (CP)
MannManor (AD)
Steel (AD)
DegrootKeep (AD)
Badwater (PL)
CactusCanyon (PL)
Upward (PL)
Pipeline (PLR)
Badlands (KOTH)
Suijin (KOTH)
Doomsday (SD)
Hydro (TC)

OK:
2Fort (CTF)
Sawmill (CTF)
Landfall (CTF)
Standin (CP)
Gorge (AD)
Well (CTF)
Gullywash (CP)
Metalworks (CP)
Powerhouse (CP)
Vanguard (CP)
Sunshin (CP)
Snakewater (CP)
Egypt (AD)
Mountainlab (CP)
Junction (CP)
Barnblitz (PL)
Goldrush (PL)
Hoodoo (PL)
Nightfall (PLR)
Sawmill (KOTH)
Viaduct (KOTH)

NOT A FAN:
Fastlane
Yukon
Snowplow
Borneo

(These are only counting the maps I have played. I have not played Banana bay before and looking at the official list there are a few I have never seen or heard of either!)

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I've always had a soft spot for Fastlane :shobon:

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.
I can tolerate Process and to an extent Snakewater, but for the most part I just really do not enjoy 5CP as a gamemode, at least not in pubs. Half the maps aren't designed to have 7 engineers turtling on last and games are either a steamroll or a never-ending-back-and-forth slog.

Also Fastlane has a really weird perspective on its out-of-bounds area that makes it look like the whole map is on stilts

Also also I miss Cactus Canyon. :(

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I always liked the non-linear AD maps. It makes gameplay much more interesting when you have two (or more?) control points that can be attacked at the same time, so multiple fronts. Unfortunately that's only Gravelpit, Junction, and Steel.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Butt Detective posted:

I can tolerate Process and to an extent Snakewater, but for the most part I just really do not enjoy 5CP as a gamemode, at least not in pubs. Half the maps aren't designed to have 7 engineers turtling on last and games are either a steamroll or a never-ending-back-and-forth slog.

Hey I don't wanna say you're wrong. You do you, fun is subjective, no disrespect etc. But I see this a lot and I just wanna say:

+A/D and payload aren't any more fun when 7 engies turtle up (and in fact those gamemodes will actually give a win to red team for doing so).

+At least a steamroll is quick on 5cp. Been on many payload games where immediately one team is getting crushed, but you still gotta slog it out to the end.

+Back-and-forth is what makes 5cp so great! A gamemode where it's possible to come back from heavy losses and win! (granted sometimes you end up trading 2nd and time keeps getting added and it goes on and on, but there's usually a way to disrupt that pattern)

This message brought to you by the 5cp council. Try 5cp, today! I love you!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Not going to lie but 5CP and Koth are my favouritest game types. cp_Badlands is a perfect map.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Winning so overwhelmingly on Granary we got bored and decided to spend the rest of the match on ridiculous gimmicks. Full team of SMG snipers, fat scouts, dead ringer spies...

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Video Graves posted:

Not going to lie but 5CP and Koth are my favouritest game types. cp_Badlands is a perfect map.

:hfive:

I understand why Process is so popular, and I love that map, but I'd love to know why I end up on Yukon more often than Badlands.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
5CP is one of the places in the game where you really have to wonder if the 12v12 standard format works at all. It's gets so much better when the player numbers are pared down which one of the reasons I presume it's so popular in sixes.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
6s and 8s works well on 5CP and Koth. I don’t know how anyone can enjoy Junction considering it’s basically a HL2 map with nothing but corridors. Gravel pit and Steel can be a slog, but at least they allow for some strategy, junction is just a spammy meat grinder.

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

In an unlikely turn of events, somebody made a good Pass Time map meant for 4v4 and the competitive community has embraced it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNoxE3FWzP8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKh6IjkUQ88

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Wait so Pass Time maps can be not huge and confusing???

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://www.twitch.tv/tipofthehats

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"

nielsm posted:

Wait so Pass Time maps can be not huge and confusing???

looks like an upgraded bball game mode with that custom map in the ytvideo

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

5cp is my favorite game mode, but it could definitely use a failsafe to prevent stalemates that last forever. The favorite suggestion I remember hearing was to scale "time added" down as the game goes on, like maybe from full time added at the fifth capture down to only 5 seconds at the tenth capture and beyond. Still leaves room for comebacks, but if one team is heavily fortified on last and just occasionally taking their second for a brief period, then the game eventually ends in their loss.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm not totally sure about that - one big thing is that pushing out of last against a team that's turtled up is often very difficult - to the point where you can't do it unless you have a significant advantage (e.g. you just repelled their attempt to push last and are up two or three players). If you make it so that the team that's holding second just needs to hold it for 10 minutes and then they win, that's going to make things much more of a stalemate than they are now.

Just reducing the "time added" seems like a fine idea though, but just leave it at being called a draw when the timer runs out.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Warpy posted:

looks like an upgraded bball game mode with that custom map in the ytvideo

I'm going to change your avatar if you're wrong

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/tipofthehats/status/1048611778257727490?s=21

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

https://youtu.be/l8g0z8yZ6FU
New lazy purple on engineers.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Gonna need GIFs of the entire Careless Whisper segment.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/gYs5QcU.mp4

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Having to defend your sentry from the entire enemy team at once and occasionally snapping and going on tears with your shotgun' pretty much sums it up, yeah.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hihohe posted:

https://youtu.be/l8g0z8yZ6FU
New lazy purple on engineers.

I was very happy to see this pop up in my subscription feed.

This video has also introduced me to Uncle Dane and his great engineer videos.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

DizzyBum posted:

I was very happy to see this pop up in my subscription feed.

This video has also introduced me to Uncle Dane and his great engineer videos.

Aww yeah, Im a pretty big fan of Engy shenanigans so hes one of the best tf2 guys in my book.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I wanted to turn my mouse sensitivity up, but for some reason the slider goes up to ten million. Literally, that's the maximum value on my mouse sensitivity slider. This means that manipualting the slider in any way other than dragging it allll the way down to zero results in unplayably high sensitivity. So, I'll have to set it manually. What sensitivity is recommended?

Also, are there any good video series or something for getting decent at sniper? I don't wanna be a pro headshot master or anything, but I would like to be able to headshot a spun up heavy who is walking at a snail's pace. As it is I can barely get a bodyshot on a moving target, even when I'm aiming for the middle of their torso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ariong posted:

I wanted to turn my mouse sensitivity up, but for some reason the slider goes up to ten million. Literally, that's the maximum value on my mouse sensitivity slider. This means that manipualting the slider in any way other than dragging it allll the way down to zero results in unplayably high sensitivity. So, I'll have to set it manually. What sensitivity is recommended?

Also, are there any good video series or something for getting decent at sniper? I don't wanna be a pro headshot master or anything, but I would like to be able to headshot a spun up heavy who is walking at a snail's pace. As it is I can barely get a bodyshot on a moving target, even when I'm aiming for the middle of their torso.

One good trick is that once you've figured out what head height is for where you're shooting, is to keep the mouse lined up at that height, and adjust to left or right as needed by strafing rather than moving the mouse