Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Driving up your wanted level on a really tiny island like Cradle of Myths turns Odyssey into a nonstop battle arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The bounty system would be a lot better if killing a mercenary reduced your bounty level.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ymgve posted:

The bounty system would be a lot better if killing a mercenary reduced your bounty level.

Yea it feels like murdering the guy sent for you should be just as effective as murdering the bounty issuer.

Never pay bounties, Sparta, mother fucker.

Orv
May 4, 2011
One thing that is continually annoying me is that AI soldiers seem to have a much better vertical peripheral vision this time around. You can't sit on a balcony a story above somebody who is searching and be completely immune, it has to be at least two stories difference. Which is probably fine mechanically, but takes away some of the cool power fantasy Batman stalking you could do.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I just did a hit contract on a level 11 merc while his level 39 friend was chilling out next to him like they were discussing a movie. It was hairy but I managed to separate them without being one-shot by the 39er. This game can be thrilling.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Haha holy poo poo this game is ripping off Witcher 3 so bad...

...and I'm loving it! :swoon:

Infinity Gaia posted:

Also I found a completely random blacksmith sitting in a weird pointless Isu cave and he sold me a unicorn skin for my horse that has rainbow trails so goty

10/10

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm glad the game is totally fine with me trashing Athenian Forts then helping them defend the lands from Sparta in the Conquest mission, why should I care after all I'm a goddamned Merc.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!
What skills should I be looking at if I want to actually win one of these territory attacks?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Grem posted:

What skills should I be looking at if I want to actually win one of these territory attacks?

Warrior stuff mostly. The heal's really good, as is Overpower. Don't get bogged down too much by the regular soldiers. Punch a few to build up adrenaline, then take out an officer and repeat.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hero Strike is good for maiming the officers.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm glad the game is totally fine with me trashing Athenian Forts then helping them defend the lands from Sparta in the Conquest mission, why should I care after all I'm a goddamned Merc.
Assassins Creed: Odyssey - Just kill everyone, its cool

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

Assassins Creed: Odyssey - Just kill everyone, its cool

(fairly early spoilers)OK, I know enough Greek myths to know that killing my father would be a bad bad idea. That's the sort of thing that gets you seriously cursed.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Annoyed that I did the first Big Beach Battle before completing the Odessa side quest line, and now I have to repeat the whole Megaris stuff but killing Spartans instead. Actually not that annoyed, just more people for Kassandra to murder :black101:

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

"You killed my mater and hosed my pater" :allears:

Maybe Kassandra shouldn't be allowed near people.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
I had fun early on taking missions from Spartans to kill Athenians. I'd kill the Athenians, return for my reward, then kill all the Spartans. Rinse, repeat. No one gets out of this transaction alive but Kassandra. I've become such a Greek -killing machine I could be an honorary Turk. The only guilt I've felt was when I accidentally shot a friendly dog that I thought was a wolf. He'd done nothing to deserve that.

Why can't we pet the dogs?

JFC fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Oct 6, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Athens symposium scene was very cool, esp if you know all the literary dudes being namedropped there. And Kassandra has a lovely singing voice! :3:

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

Did I miss something? Odessa was the chick on the starter island? I didn't get any more quests with her.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Deformed Church posted:

"You killed my mater and hosed my pater" :allears:

Maybe Kassandra shouldn't be allowed near people.

Was this the Supedio (who asks you get his sword and shield) quest in Lokris?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Turk posted:

Did I miss something? Odessa was the chick on the starter island? I didn't get any more quests with her.
you can find her again on the eastern side of Megaris, kinda near the port fort

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

So the bandit camps just restock with enemies even if you've cleared them out? I've considered doing a few stealthy runs and only killing the leader and getting the treasures (I don't wanna kill no doggos) but I guess you get less XP overall because you don't kill as many goons.

Turk
Mar 27, 2006

Thanks I will have to go look for her.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Hamburger Test posted:

Was this the Supedio (who asks you get his sword and shield) quest in Lokris?

Yes. Highly recommended.

Are drastic framerate issues in towns the norm for everyone? I'm hanging fine on 40+fps in most places on medium settings, but towns and other larger vistas are taking me down to ~20, and I've just got to Athens itself which has me down to single digits if I make the mistake of standing on a roof. I'm around about the recommended specs on the steam page for 1080p high settings so it's a bit disappointing, and I've been able to push the settings way up on other games I've played recently - DOOM, Witcher 3, Total Warhammer 2, even AC Origins, are all pretty taxing and run just fine on high. Is it just the game and my slightly aged build or does it sound out of line compared to what other people are experiencing?

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 6, 2018

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

For some reason I've got this bullshit blue helmet that I can't see or dismantle and its not a Ubisoft Club item or whatever I just randomly looted it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I looked up the solution to why I couldn't find a cultists and it was because it was gated behind a story mission. So yeah look out for that and don't waste over an hour looking for a thing that doesn't exist.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Mandrel posted:

are the mercenaries supposed to be this loving broken. this first dude is on my rear end 24/7 and always magically 100 meters away running at a dead rear end sprint to whatever quest marker Im trying to go to

Everyone keeps telling you to pay off the bounty but for the first merc it is not possible to do this. It's a weird blip in the early game meant to teach you about levels. Once you get to level 4 to 5, he's just normally hard. When he gets near before then, you can either pretend you are playing Alien: Isolation and hide and wait for him to wander off (he does eventually) or ride off on your horse and check out some other part of the island. After this guy, it's never this bad again. They tend to spawn closer to your level and you have bigger zones so it's easier to hide from them/take out targets and run away/just take them out.

Grem posted:

Playing on hard: I've had a lot of success using the bow and Devastating Shot to Legolas these battles. Whenever they go behind shields, I am backing up and shooting them in the head. When I spot the next captain, I can often one-shot them in the head from behind with Devastating Shot. Charged Heavy attack is also good for shields because it doesn't take up an ability slot, you just hold down heavy attack and unleash while they are turtling. I like Flaming Attacks because it doesn't cost adrenaline and gives a damage boost and looks cool as hell.

And as people have said, Second Wind lets you convert adrenaline to health which is good for sustain.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Eventually you will get a second ability wheel.

This is the single greatest thing the game will give you.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Deformed Church posted:

Yes. Highly recommended.

I didn't do the second thing so it just ended with a weird conversation where it was very much implied, but nothing came of it.

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:

JBP posted:

I looked up the solution to why I couldn't find a cultists and it was because it was gated behind a story mission. So yeah look out for that and don't waste over an hour looking for a thing that doesn't exist.

There's also currently a known issue with one of them (women, starts with S) spawning in an inaccessible story only location.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Finding it really hard to put this game down, there are so many things I want to see and do and then when you get there some random bandit camp pops up and you're like "oh FINE I guess I'll kill those guys too" and then you get some tablet that sends you looking for a dumb engraving that gives +2% to poison for 30 minutes. Almost at 28 hours so far and I just barely got out of Athens!

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

the game was like, "Oh, help Perikles maintain power in Athens!"

I was like, "Nah, Kass is gonna go to Pirate Island and gently caress poo poo up"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Because of this game I finally started reading this book I have about the Peloponnesian War and gently caress the Spartans, quite frankly. What a messed-up society. I hope I get to step on their faces.

(jk I'm gonna have my girl Kassandra step on everyone's faces, my God she's amazing)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Is it safe to assume we can continue doing most side quests after the main story?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Is it safe to assume we can continue doing most side quests after the main story?

I believe Origins allowed this so I dont see why Odyssey wouldnt.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

LOL the healer quest in Phokis. I chose to let Kass kill the false oracle instead of the dude. Didn't think it would take 3 good axe swings and ragdoll that poor old lady's corpse around. Now that's what I call vengeance!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I also wanted to say that one of my biggest complaints about Pyramids was the confused opening where I could barely parse out the Who, What, Where, When, and Why from scene to scene.

This game totally fixed that and had a very coherent opening, while still fulfilling the exact same gameplay/tutorial beats as AC:Oranges. Felt much more cinematic and actually introduced me to some characters and setting.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Hmm our protagonist is pretty amoral huh. "Go kill this general." "Hm, okay!"

Like there's no evil pretext or anything, I'm just a hitman at this point.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I had to get shots before going overseas this afternoon, and instead of getting myself a candy bar I decided to play video game dress up:

I woke up wondering why I didn't try and jump off anything yesterday. No change in behavior, but now I can pretend I'm not suiciding off of cliffs with my buddy.

edit: better picture

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Oct 6, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

AndrewP posted:

:rolleyes: "It's just a bird."

:swoon:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

HopperUK posted:

Because of this game I finally started reading this book I have about the Peloponnesian War and gently caress the Spartans, quite frankly. What a messed-up society. I hope I get to step on their faces.

(jk I'm gonna have my girl Kassandra step on everyone's faces, my God she's amazing)

Yeah Spartan society is pretty reprehensible. Like I know in the end you basically side with both/kill both plenty I am sure but screw the Spartans. I always feel bad about killing Helots :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

AndrewP posted:

Some of the small side quests makes you hilariously evil.

"This woman looked at my husband the wrong way. Kill her for me, please?" "Sure, whatever, free XP"