Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Holy hell all my lines were suspended for fraud, and fraud dept is some real weird fuckers. I’m dying. I think fraud is like mortgage collections, real beat to hell people in the worst possible situations.

TLDR : A current utility bill satisfied the red beast

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

What is phone fraud even?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

The Bananana posted:

What is phone fraud even?

Person steals info from customer, comes in and buys as many iPhones as possible to sell overseas.

Example: fraudster steals social and address for Joe Smith, makes drivers license with Joe’s info but his picture, comes in and tries to set up 3-4 new iPhones.

They’ll also try to steal info and try to upgrade / add lines.

It’s a huge issue. I see fraud coming into my store every day. They go from store to store too, both corporate, Apple, Best Buy, etc.

edit: I think in the case above it’s because it was ordered in a different place than shipped.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 1, 2018

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Seeing if any new deals have come up since the iPhone launched.

I'm coming from T-mobile and my wife will be coming from a Verizon company account (she wants to keep her number, but they won't let her keep the phone).

I own my phone (iphone 6s) outright, but we need to get her a phone.

She doesn't like how the 7 and above don't have a headphone jack, so I might just give her my phone and that means I'll need a new phone.

Options right now are to get an iPhone 8 on Swappa for about $500, or maybe see if Verizon is offering to do any other deals.

Is there anything else out there? I'm military, so I think the military discount would be an unlimited plan for both of us for $100+tax on automatic payment plans (2 lines @ $65 each with $30 off)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

Seeing if any new deals have come up since the iPhone launched.

I'm coming from T-mobile and my wife will be coming from a Verizon company account (she wants to keep her number, but they won't let her keep the phone).

I own my phone (iphone 6s) outright, but we need to get her a phone.

She doesn't like how the 7 and above don't have a headphone jack, so I might just give her my phone and that means I'll need a new phone.

Options right now are to get an iPhone 8 on Swappa for about $500, or maybe see if Verizon is offering to do any other deals.

Is there anything else out there? I'm military, so I think the military discount would be an unlimited plan for both of us for $100+tax on automatic payment plans (2 lines @ $65 each with $30 off)

Here are my thoughts:

1. Plan first: you are correct, $65 a line is $130, knock $30 off worn military discount.

2. Verizon is offering $150 switcher credit to switch your number and bring your own device to Verizon. So if you buy an unlocked iPhone 8 on swappa for $500 (or whatever) , you can bring it over as a BYOD and you’ll get $150.

Your iPhone 6S will work on Verizon, just make sure it’s unlocked by T-Mobile.

How I would setup: have her move from bus to personal first. No fees to do that. Swap her SIM from her iPhone 7 to your 6S. Then you would bring your phone onto that account as an add line , just need a SIM card.

Business transfer is (800) 295-1614, just select all other options. It needs to be formally released by the company first. Department is open Mon-Fri

Any questions feel free to PM, and if you want a referral code from me feel free to PM me for it.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Duckman2008 posted:

Here are my thoughts:

1. Plan first: you are correct, $65 a line is $130, knock $30 off worn military discount.

2. Verizon is offering $150 switcher credit to switch your number and bring your own device to Verizon. So if you buy an unlocked iPhone 8 on swappa for $500 (or whatever) , you can bring it over as a BYOD and you’ll get $150.

Your iPhone 6S will work on Verizon, just make sure it’s unlocked by T-Mobile.

How I would setup: have her move from bus to personal first. No fees to do that. Swap her SIM from her iPhone 7 to your 6S. Then you would bring your phone onto that account as an add line , just need a SIM card.

Business transfer is (800) 295-1614, just select all other options. It needs to be formally released by the company first. Department is open Mon-Fri

Any questions feel free to PM, and if you want a referral code from me feel free to PM me for it.

That sounds great-do you think #2 would work if I bought a Verizon locked phone off Swappa as well? They are slightly cheaper than the unlocked version.

Also, regarding having her move from bus to personal first-I'm assuming when she does this she'll need to select some kind of plan and payment setup, then right after we can swap sims, and then I can take my new phone and add the line. I'm assuming this could all be done the same day? Might be a bit of a paperwork shuffle, but it seems like it could be done to incur the least amount of fees, extra costs, etc. I figure she can just go on the cheapest plan available for the day and then we shift to military unlimited.

How does your referral code work?

nwin fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 4, 2018

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

nwin posted:

That sounds great-do you think #2 would work if I bought a Verizon locked phone off Swappa as well? They are slightly cheaper than the unlocked version.

Also, regarding having her move from bus to personal first-I'm assuming when she does this she'll need to select some kind of plan and payment setup, then right after we can swap sims, and then I can take my new phone and add the line. I'm assuming this could all be done the same day? Might be a bit of a paperwork shuffle, but it seems like it could be done to incur the least amount of fees, extra costs, etc. I figure she can just go on the cheapest plan available for the day and then we shift to military unlimited.

How does your referral code work?

All Verizon phones are unlocked, so there isn’t such thing as a locked Verizon phone (unless you go back to like, 2010). But yeah, even a Verizon phone will work fine.

Doing it all same day would def be the way to go. The department that transfers her number also sets up the plan for her. Then you just activate a SIM card while porting your number. Since it’s same day it’ll just auto go to the two person plan.

Referral codes work via online orders, so thinking it through, in this case that wouldn’t work, so don’t fret about that. Either just go to a company store, or if you want me to get you a SIM card directly just PM me and I can get it setup over the phone. Whatever is better for you.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Duckman, I've got a question for you.

We currently have a family plan with 4 phones and 1 iPad, all paid off and paying $15/line for line access on the phones and $10 on the tablet. Our plan is an old More Everything Unlimited Talk and Text with 12GB of data. With an 18% corporate discount we are paying $177/mo out the door. The price doesn't seem too bad, but we frequently run right up against our data limit. From what I can tell on the Verizon site, the unlimited plan options would put us at $40/device, which for the four phones would be $160/mo and we would no longer have to worry about keeping below that 12gb each month. But how are ipads handled with the rest of the devices go to unlimited? Does it need its own unlimited plan, adding an additional $40/mo, and what could we expect for additional costs/fees/taxes on top of the per device charge?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Falco posted:

Duckman, I've got a question for you.

We currently have a family plan with 4 phones and 1 iPad, all paid off and paying $15/line for line access on the phones and $10 on the tablet. Our plan is an old More Everything Unlimited Talk and Text with 12GB of data. With an 18% corporate discount we are paying $177/mo out the door. The price doesn't seem too bad, but we frequently run right up against our data limit. From what I can tell on the Verizon site, the unlimited plan options would put us at $40/device, which for the four phones would be $160/mo and we would no longer have to worry about keeping below that 12gb each month. But how are ipads handled with the rest of the devices go to unlimited? Does it need its own unlimited plan, adding an additional $40/mo, and what could we expect for additional costs/fees/taxes on top of the per device charge?

It’s $40 per line with auto pay with checking account. So $160 , that’s better for you. Has anyone in the family served in military?

iPads are $20 on the unlimited data plans.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Duckman2008 posted:

It’s $40 per line with auto pay with checking account. So $160 , that’s better for you. Has anyone in the family served in military?

iPads are $20 on the unlimited data plans.

Excellent thank you. I believe my step dad has some sort of military background, so I’ll see if he qualifies for further discounts. Any idea what I could expect for any additional charges/taxes above the $180 for all five devices?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Taxes and fees will probably be about $20, roughly.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I have the February 2017 unlimited plan, the maximum number of lines for that is still 10, right?

I realized there’s no point to my parents paying for an XL data bucket on their own if I can just add them to my plan for $40.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kitten smoothie posted:

I have the February 2017 unlimited plan, the maximum number of lines for that is still 10, right?

I realized there’s no point to my parents paying for an XL data bucket on their own if I can just add them to my plan for $40.

Correct and correct.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
You can get a military discount through family members?

My grandfathers on both sides served, although they've both passed away :(

It got me an account with USAA, but I'm guessing Verizon wants a more currently-alive status :p

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Annath posted:

You can get a military discount through family members?

My grandfathers on both sides served, although they've both passed away :(

It got me an account with USAA, but I'm guessing Verizon wants a more currently-alive status :p

Well, alive yes, and what it’s meant to be is someone on the account. So you qualify for a military discount if either you were in the military, or someone listed as an authorized user on the account was in military. In theory someone authorized on the account is also a member of the account.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I kinda want a Note 9 but I listen to music with my phone a lot and I am very concerned with the headphone output quality on the Snapdragon version. Anyone know anything?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

redeyes posted:

I kinda want a Note 9 but I listen to music with my phone a lot and I am very concerned with the headphone output quality on the Snapdragon version. Anyone know anything?

No idea, but the Note 9 is on sale for $200 today and tomorrow, so if you want one, I would decide soon.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Duckman2008 posted:

No idea, but the Note 9 is on sale for $200 today and tomorrow, so if you want one, I would decide soon.

$200 off or $200 exactly?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Duckman2008 posted:

OK
thanks for the heads up

$200 off

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I use Bluetooth for most listening needs, but I haven't noticed any better or worse quality with wired headphones.

Granted, I'm not a music snob, I'm listening to podcasts, Spotify, and 320Kbps mp3s, not FLACs or WAVs, but I do use some nice Sennheiser HD280 Pros.

I didn't actually know that the processor could affect the sound quality haha.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just tried a friends VZW Note 9 headphone out with Poweramp and some of my favorite tracks. Verdict is.. it SUCKS. My Galaxy s6 blows it away in sound quality, bass, sound stage.

loving gently caress.

If anyone cares, the S6 was the last Exynos american phone. Wolfson DAC. Sublime DAC output.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I have an n9. I haven't used a headphone jack in years. The internal speakers seem decent as far as phone speakers go. :shrug:

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Goober Peas posted:

I have an n9. I haven't used a headphone jack in years. The internal speakers seem decent as far as phone speakers go. :shrug:

Good thing then. It's pretty horrible. I spent about an hour trying different software players, settings, Dolby Atmos, etc. The sound signature is bass boosted. Quite frankly for the price the SQ is pathetic.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
As bad as my hearing is, I likely couldn't tell a difference if you walked me through it haha.

Thankfully I can still enjoy music, but kids, don't let yourself get moshed into the speaker stacks at a Bad Religion show, and always wear your earplugs!

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Annath posted:

As bad as my hearing is, I likely couldn't tell a difference if you walked me through it haha.

Thankfully I can still enjoy music, but kids, don't let yourself get moshed into the speaker stacks at a Bad Religion show, and always wear your earplugs!

I get it. I am one of 'those' people. Still I feel like I am not that picky. Next up for me LG Thinq V30 or 40.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
My family's phones are on Verizon and, as the battery life on my nearly 5 year old iPhone 5c is now comically short, I'm thinking it's time to get something new. Seeing as though they seem to sell the phones unsubsidized now, is there any wiggle room or haggling that can go on? I bought my current phone for $100, so all of these thousand dollar phones are kind of mind-blowing to me. Is it a valid idea to ask for whatever discount offers they have in place for conquests, lest I take my (and my family's) business elsewhere? I don't know how the new sales model works, all I know is my parents taught me to haggle on anything that costs more than a mattress!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlmightyPants posted:

My family's phones are on Verizon and, as the battery life on my nearly 5 year old iPhone 5c is now comically short, I'm thinking it's time to get something new. Seeing as though they seem to sell the phones unsubsidized now, is there any wiggle room or haggling that can go on? I bought my current phone for $100, so all of these thousand dollar phones are kind of mind-blowing to me. Is it a valid idea to ask for whatever discount offers they have in place for conquests, lest I take my (and my family's) business elsewhere? I don't know how the new sales model works, all I know is my parents taught me to haggle on anything that costs more than a mattress!

You can ask, but the store reps won’t be able to discount anything. Feel free to check Costco, Best Buy, etc to see if they’re offering anything.

Verizon loyalty is at (800) 392-0717. I can’t guarantee they’ll do anything , but you can always call and threaten to cancel, they’re the only department with leeway.

FYI in any case, I’m sure you were somewhat exaggerating you don’t necessarily have to get the expensive phone. The iPhone 8 went down to $600 for instance if you don’t need a bigger screen or better camera.

All that being said, post your plan here and I’ll tell you if it’s higher or lower than current plans.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AlmightyPants posted:

Like Duckman said, they can't/wont do poo poo unless there is a promo. Do the smart thing, shop on Swappa.com and/or Ebay. Look for Mint/Good condition. Easy. My last phone was $130 bux for a 64GB mint S6. Hard to beat those kind of deals.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The iPhone 7 for $450 is a killer deal if you're OK with a 2 year old phone.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've got an iPhone X and wanna get that new long phone to make up for my tiny penis. I've got $95 more to pay on this one before my upgrade. Is there anyway to get them to let me do the trade in/upgrade and be billed on my next bill for all the upgrade poo poo and that $100 instead of paying it all the day I do it?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

I've got an iPhone X and wanna get that new long phone to make up for my tiny penis. I've got $95 more to pay on this one before my upgrade. Is there anyway to get them to let me do the trade in/upgrade and be billed on my next bill for all the upgrade poo poo and that $100 instead of paying it all the day I do it?

if you process via the app/online it may let you bill to account , in store you have to pay the balance, tax and fee up front.

If you were trying to get it same day, you could process via the app/online and do in store pickup.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

if you process via the app/online it may let you bill to account , in store you have to pay the balance, tax and fee up front.

If you were trying to get it same day, you could process via the app/online and do in store pickup.

Nah, app is making me pay all that poo poo up front too. Boo. Just take it out of my trade in for my current phone, Verizon!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Tangentially Verizon related since that's my work's provider, but I want to vent :(

My work got a grant from the Feds, and instead of buying everybody the little USB-plug cellular Hotspots (or even the multi-user Mi-Fis!) like we asked for, they're buying every employee an iPhone 7.

Literally nobody wants them. Everyone already has a smartphone, we just don't want to use our personal data for tethering our work computers.

While the iPhones will have unlimited data, nobody wants to be responsible for a $500+ device.

Also someone asked how the iPhones are going to work without AppleIDs (since the office had stated that the app store/IDs would not be "available") since unlike Android Apple runs everything through it, and the manager ignored the emails haha.

We all assume that the office manager wanted a new iPhone and is buying them for all employees to justify using office funds for it. :v:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Vince MechMahon posted:

Nah, app is making me pay all that poo poo up front too. Boo. Just take it out of my trade in for my current phone, Verizon!

I’m assuming your phone trade in is paying off the remaining 12 months of your iPhone X, unless you bought it outright?

And yeah, I hear you otherwise. You don’t happen to live near Delaware (no sales tax) do you?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

I’m assuming your phone trade in is paying off the remaining 12 months of your iPhone X, unless you bought it outright?

And yeah, I hear you otherwise. You don’t happen to live near Delaware (no sales tax) do you?

Yeah the trade in would be just the pay off. And nope, not near Delaware. Oh well, I can wait till Friday.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

Duckman2008 posted:

You can ask, but the store reps won’t be able to discount anything. Feel free to check Costco, Best Buy, etc to see if they’re offering anything.

Verizon loyalty is at (800) 392-0717. I can’t guarantee they’ll do anything , but you can always call and threaten to cancel, they’re the only department with leeway.

FYI in any case, I’m sure you were somewhat exaggerating you don’t necessarily have to get the expensive phone. The iPhone 8 went down to $600 for instance if you don’t need a bigger screen or better camera.

All that being said, post your plan here and I’ll tell you if it’s higher or lower than current plans.

Verizon loyalty was super helpful, offered me a hundred dollar discount right off the bat but also indicated that I should hang on until after Thanksgiving for even incentives. I'm going to do so.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Thank you for the OP, trying to figure out the cost/benefit of Verizon plans on their website is a huge loving pain in the rear end.

My mom is currently on a 3GB pre-paid plan, my dad is on a plan with US Cellular because they used to cover areas Verizon didn't, but that is no longer the case. My mom used 28MB of data last month, my dad probably used less. My mom will occasionally stream video when travelling, so what I'm thinking is get them both 500MB pre-paid plans, then have them do the 3GB add-on if they know they'll be travelling.

Doing the math, this seems considerably cheaper than any of the shared data contract plans, and they really don't need unlimited data; any pitfalls I'm missing, or is my math bad? Thanks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Thanatosian posted:

Thank you for the OP, trying to figure out the cost/benefit of Verizon plans on their website is a huge loving pain in the rear end.

My mom is currently on a 3GB pre-paid plan, my dad is on a plan with US Cellular because they used to cover areas Verizon didn't, but that is no longer the case. My mom used 28MB of data last month, my dad probably used less. My mom will occasionally stream video when travelling, so what I'm thinking is get them both 500MB pre-paid plans, then have them do the 3GB add-on if they know they'll be travelling.

Doing the math, this seems considerably cheaper than any of the shared data contract plans, and they really don't need unlimited data; any pitfalls I'm missing, or is my math bad? Thanks.

Nope, it’s just a small amount of data, which seems fine for them so you are correct.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hey Duckman,

Verizon is offering Bogo (ish) on the P3 with pre-order. But it looks like the new phone is only for new lines of service.

I have multiple lines on my account that are "eligible for upgrade". Can I leverage this deal somehow and get the second phone added to an existing line?

Like, could I transfer the 'free' phone to one of the eligible lines? Is there some kind of fuckery I can use to make this work without adding an 8th line?

Edit: Could I do something like...

1. Port target number (no contact, free and clear) to GVoice, canceling that line on VZW.
2. Get BoGo deal with 'free' phone on new line
3. Port number back in to that line from GVoice

AlexDeGruven fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

Hey Duckman,

Verizon is offering Bogo (ish) on the P3 with pre-order. But it looks like the new phone is only for new lines of service.

I have multiple lines on my account that are "eligible for upgrade". Can I leverage this deal somehow and get the second phone added to an existing line?

Like, could I transfer the 'free' phone to one of the eligible lines? Is there some kind of fuckery I can use to make this work without adding an 8th line?

Someone would have to be willing to get a new number. The phone itself can go to a different number, but the added number HAS to stay active for 24 months to get the full discount. So the main scenarios I see for people trying to manipulate it:

1. Customer happens to be adding their kid on soon, so they add a line, mom and dad get pixel 3, kid gets one of the old phones. Alternatively, I’ve seen customers convert the extra line to a tablet or jetpack.

2. Customer adds line, and whichever family member is willing takes that number, and cancels their current phone.

3. Customer keeps current phone numbers, adds a line for $20 a month , and just leaves it on since getting the $33 monthly payment plan free means you’re still getting some discount. So there’s just an extra number no one uses.

4. The nerd path is to port your number to google voice.

Personally, #3 I see sometimes, but people always forget they’re paying tax and fee on the added line, so I rarely recommend it, it’s pretty close to a wash.

Overall, the Verizon response is it’s for customers adding an extra line a service, not for two existing customers. Verizon promos for upgrading phones has been really tepid lately, I haven’t seen a decent deal in months. I haven’t seen aggressive deals from Sprint or T-Mobile lately, likely due to the merger, so the phone companies seem to be happy with the status quo for now. Plus, Verizon is super focused on 5G, so I have a feeling one way they’re trying to save costs on is by not having as aggressive promotions on phones.

Which all kind of sucks. So if you don’t want to do any of the above, and your phones are working, I’m curious to see if any promotions come out in the next month or two. They had a flash sale on the Note for $200 off, so it’s always possible they discount the Pixel at some point.