Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lambert posted:

Snip & Sketch doesn't have window snip, full screen snip and is missing the time delay option. Why would you replace your existing tool with a new program that's worse. I guess that's why they didn't simply update/replace the existing tool.
window snip is still alt+print screen and full-screen snip is still print screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Lambert posted:

Snip & Sketch doesn't have window snip, full screen snip and is missing the time delay option. Why would you replace your existing tool with a new program that's worse. I guess that's why they didn't simply update/replace the existing tool.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

anthonypants posted:

window snip is still alt+print screen and full-screen snip is still print screen

That's not the same and also not an explanation, more like a random observation?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lambert posted:

That's not the same and also not an explanation, more like a random observation?
sorry, i didn't realize your post was just random observations

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Lambert posted:

it has all of that

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Lambert posted:

Firefox is implementing WebP support as well, it's just Apple's Internet Explorer that's left.

You need the Web Media Extensions: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/webmedienerweiterungen/9n5tdp8vcmhs?rtc=1&source=lp&activetab=pivot%3Aoverviewtab (and, potentially, the HEVC Video extensions: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq#activetab=pivot:overviewtab)

afaik, that's only for video (ogg, theora). webp support is supported in edge itself, at least in 19H1.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
when i installed 1809 on my home computer it let me know that i'd disabled app access to the microphone and also turned on "windows sonic for headphones"

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
guess the folks at Techsmith SnagIt must be rubbing their hands together with glee at the snipping tool changes

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Shaggar posted:

it has all of that

There's no window snip, only manual/freeform/full screen. Just realized that it does, indeed, have timed and full screen snipping.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Oct 5, 2018

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

hey, it's surfaceflaps

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://myitforum.com/the-cause-for-windows-10-1809-upgrades-deleting-user-files/

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
so... the "bug" is a explicitly defined GPO doing exactly what it says it will do?

i notice the article says it must be set to disabled or "not configured", you know, the default setting for that GPO

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

so... the "bug" is a explicitly defined GPO doing exactly what it says it will do?

i notice the article says it must be set to disabled or "not configured", you know, the default setting for that GPO

yeah. one of the discords im in has this flying with red flags in announcement section as "evil micro$$$ofotttttttt"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it would seem to be a bug if "old" is based on last modify. If its based on creation then y did u set that gpo on a client computer?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yeah. one of the discords im in has this flying with red flags in announcement section as "evil micro$$$ofotttttttt"

why would anyone have that option set on a personal computer. even with a corp domain computer you'd really only want it on shared computers w/ roaming profiles where the profile would just be resynced on next login.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Lambert posted:

There's no window snip, only manual/freeform/full screen. Just realized that it does, indeed, have timed and full screen snipping.

are you using one of those weird "hacker" keyboards without a PrintScreen/SysRq button?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

akadajet posted:

are you using one of those weird "hacker" keyboards without a PrintScreen/SysRq button?

Yep, I am using one of those.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

hey, it's surfaceflaps

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

Shaggar posted:

why would anyone have that option set on a personal computer.

*double clicking .reg files on a desktop full of .reg files* HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!?!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i wonder if you could search github for that gpo or registry string to see which MAKE_COMPUTER_GO_FASTER.ps1 script they're all using

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol the warning that you're not installing a uwp app now has to load for a few seconds

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

shameful

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

lol microsoft just pulled the entire october update after beta testers complained about their files being deleted

good thing all my important windows files get uploaded to steam!

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
But random redditor said it's totally that one obscure group policy setting!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

lol microsoft just pulled the entire october update after beta testers complained about their files being deleted

good thing all my important windows files get uploaded to steam!

welp!

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
i survived the windows october update and all i got was this lousy 🐱‍👤

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

beta tested in the future

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

also now that crashplan is abandoning its consumer support what's the yospos recommended backup provider?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Microsoft OneDrive/Azure Blob Storage

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Lambert posted:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Lambert posted:

i completely believe the idiot that said that originally somehow enabled that gpo without knowing what it did (not cinci, the redditor or whoever)

i also believe that it's unrelated to windows borking user profiles during the upgrade process

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Rex-Goliath posted:

also now that crashplan is abandoning its consumer support what's the yospos recommended backup provider?

I went with Carbonite, but it is rather lame. It doesn't appear to detect sleep or network disconnections properly and sits not backing up for weeks. There was an update yesterday that decided to prompt and pester like an Oracle update. I kind of like that it doesn't back up every retarded file that software loves to constantly update but provides no value whatsoever, compared to Backblaze which advertises that as a feature.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

i completely believe the idiot that said that originally somehow enabled that gpo without knowing what it did (not cinci, the redditor or whoever)

i also believe that it's unrelated to windows borking user profiles during the upgrade process

yeah its not rocket science if some reg hacks could have had an adverse effect. im glad tho my work computer just gave me a minor scare, file deletion from user directory wouldn't be fantastic since that's where a lot of files coworkers sent me are

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

MrMoo posted:

I went with Carbonite, but it is rather lame. It doesn't appear to detect sleep or network disconnections properly and sits not backing up for weeks. There was an update yesterday that decided to prompt and pester like an Oracle update. I kind of like that it doesn't back up every retarded file that software loves to constantly update but provides no value whatsoever, compared to Backblaze which advertises that as a feature.

carbonite is """"unlimited""""" space, 1 computer. i used them for several years. the problem i had with carbonite was that some times it would get stuck and lock random files and that would crash other programs.

because i noticed that my backup size was only several hundred gigabytes, i changed to idrive which allows for several devices but "only" 1 TB. they tried to change my plan to a business plan and charge me more, probably because my email address isn't @gmail.com or @hotmail.com, but other than that, i have had no issues

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/michaelleung/status/1048709205681532928

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the developers must have been catatonic

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

akadajet posted:

the developers must have been catalonic

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:yeah:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rex-Goliath posted:

i just decided to convert my crashplan to a business account. works for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i use backblaze