Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Mario Party minigames just aren't the same if you aren't getting blisters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Terrible minigame controls have been a Mario party staple since the first one

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't played Super Mario Party yet but over time I've noticed that "the motion controls suck" usually means "I suck at this control scheme for children and am projecting"

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

The Bloop posted:

I haven't played Super Mario Party yet but over time I've noticed that "the motion controls suck" usually means "I suck at this control scheme for children and am projecting"

Idk man feels like you're the one doing the projecting here. This is weirdly specific

I usually enjoy motion controls in fps games, but outside of that it has always felt like a cheap gimmick to me. Like a lovely gesture based button input rather than an actual immersive experience that tracks your motion accurately

But yeah motion aiming in shooters is the golden exception to this

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 6, 2018

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
the mario party motion control mini games are good except for that one where you have to rotate 3d shapes and interlock with a partner. gently caress that janky garbage triggering my botw ptsd

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Motion controls are better now they use more accurate gyroscopes and not just simple accelerometers. Where the hell is Monkey Ball on Switch, Sega, come on.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Motion controls in SMP are:
Crank Joycon in a circle to turn things.
Shake to shake things.
Swing to throw of hit things.
Thrust to hit things, or high-five.
Rotate the loving thing in unholy ways to match up two pieces of a split block as both players have no clue what's happening and how their motion relates to the block's.

There's a button mashing minigame, now that's poo poo. It's also one of the games which are way easier when you have an army.

At least, Nintendo can patch things now, so some of the minor issues may be fixed?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Folt The Bolt posted:

Seriously, the N64 Mario Parties were some of my most enjoyable memories in my childhood. I even completely cleared Minigame Island, Minigame Coaster on all difficulties (a task many would say is madness), and got the required amount of coins in the Game Guy room for the last single-player minigame in Mario Party 3.

Super Mario Party reminds me the most of these classic Mario Parties which is a good thing. There's the standard Mario Party, fleshed out side modes like Mario Party 3's Duel Mode, and the Minigame Island equivalent in Challenge Road.

All of these are no small feats and I’ve done them all too. Mario Party 2 and 3 were staples of my N64 diet growing up, and I know what you’re talking about re: the game guy room. I remember I beat it by pure coincidence during that one multiplication staircase game you play against Shy Guy.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Shy Guy is the best character in Mario Party Switch because of all the great noises he makes

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Harlock posted:

Shy Guy is the best character in Mario Party Switch because of all the great noises he makes

dude have you heard waluigi

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Harlock posted:

His die is really solid, too

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

If you can believe it, theres mario party switch tier lists

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Harlock posted:

Post em and I'll tell you how wrong and bad you are at this game for children

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Harlock posted:

is the character specific die thing a new mechanic for the series? it's pretty cool, i feel like boo's is really good

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Figuring out the minigame controls is half the challenge.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Post em and I'll tell you how wrong and bad you are at this game for children

They're not mine and I also think it's silly.

https://rankedboost.com/super-mario-party/best-characters/

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

KingSlime posted:

Idk man feels like you're the one doing the projecting here. This is weirdly specific

I usually enjoy motion controls in fps games, but outside of that it has always felt like a cheap gimmick to me. Like a lovely gesture based button input rather than an actual immersive experience that tracks your motion accurately

But yeah motion aiming in shooters is the golden exception to this
It's a party game comprised of 300 mini games. Motion controls are good. It's not like every single mini game requires them.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Is there a way to turn off rumble in Arena of Valor?

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

All of these are no small feats and I’ve done them all too. Mario Party 2 and 3 were staples of my N64 diet growing up, and I know what you’re talking about re: the game guy room. I remember I beat it by pure coincidence during that one multiplication staircase game you play against Shy Guy.

Of the Game Guy minigames, the staircase one was my favorite. Unlike the rest, I felt it had more to it than being just completely random.

Oh yeah, and of course, beating all the Minigame Coaster difficulties naturally means I have all the minigames including the special one from Woody and the super-secret Treacherous Tightrope clone.

Also, goddamn I love the old boards! Luigi's Engine Room, Mario's Rainbow Castle, Bowser's Magma Mountain, Eternal Star, Space Land, Horror Land, Bowser Land, Spiny Desert, Creepy Cavern, and Waluigi's Island were really fun boards to play on!

Also, god drat, I feel old:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTzmlBeIRd4

velvet milkman posted:

is the character specific die thing a new mechanic for the series? it's pretty cool, i feel like boo's is really good

It comes from Mario Party: Star Rush. It's one of the cooler mechanics from modern Mario Parties so I'm all for it here.

EDIT:

I wonder what you think of this one then:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MARIOPARTY/comments/9kt9qc/updated_characters_dice_tierlist/

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 6, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I didn’t realize the into is a homage to the original Mario Party. That’s really cool.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

DLC games and boards when?

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
I played three Mario parties last night and hat tricked three wins, it's fun and I like how pared down it is but it seems very steamrolly versus the notoriously rng-ey swinginess of the franchise

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is Bowser Revolution still in?:ussr:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is Bowser Revolution still in?:ussr:

I haven't seen it yet. It could possibly be in, or possibly not. It's worth noting that as part of the last 3 turns, Kamek ensorcels the Bad Luck spaces to make them extra dangerous to land on which shifts out some options for more dangerous ones. (Also, it's funny to see what happens when Bowser lands on a Bad Luck Space.)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Extra Bad Luck spaces can steal stars. They're nice.

Is there any effect, apart from a visual one, for running in a circle in team mode?

The team AI completely lost its poo poo in the islands map after the sand bridge collapsed, and the shortest way to a star was through a pipe, the other bridge, and then the other pipe.
That map is so annoying in both modes it's probably better to go for the hidden stars, or camp by the Lakitu boxes.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Bloop posted:

While I was watching the Super Mario Odyssey speedrun someone mentioned what a pain it was to contantly shake the controller so they could go as fast as possible and I thought that was a valid motion control complaint.

They didn't bother me at all playing casually though.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

How do you even let other people win at Mario Party? Maybe I've only played the bad ones, but it seems like it's all random chance. You can get absolutely demolished the entire game and then still win at the end because of arbitrary bonus stars.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The more I see of this game, the more stoked I am for it

https://twitter.com/deadtoast_com/status/1048559246961512450?s=21

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

How do you even let other people win at Mario Party? Maybe I've only played the bad ones, but it seems like it's all random chance. You can get absolutely demolished the entire game and then still win at the end because of arbitrary bonus stars.

This is the series with the famous 'luigi wins by doing nothing'. The point is not to care too much. Or drink more.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
When you start caring about winning in Mario Party is when you stopped understanding Mario Party

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

Super Mario Party is fun.
Played three games yesterday with the family.
The wife had fun, the six-year old was upset, the sixteen-year old was salty AF after dad beat everyone in all three games.

This is probably going to be a weekly game for us for a long time.
The mini games are great, the motion controls work most of the time, and the variety helps to keep most things fair.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

asecondduck posted:

While I was watching the Super Mario Odyssey speedrun someone mentioned what a pain it was to contantly shake the controller so they could go as fast as possible and I thought that was a valid motion control complaint.

They didn't bother me at all playing casually though.

I super don't think major game mechanics should be planned with speed runners in mind, but I am all for allowing options in controls generally.

Mario party seems like an edge case where the bullshit is the whole point.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Odyssey's motion controls are kind of finnicky though, especially the ones where you twirl your hat in a big circle, and the one where your hat goes along the ground in front of you. Normally I don't care but there are enough timed puzzles that it can become frustrating when a misfired motion gesture costs you a run at a puzzle - some of the music note ones are especially brutal for that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Volte posted:

Odyssey's motion controls are kind of finnicky though, especially the ones where you twirl your hat in a big circle,

I think there's one music note puzzle that requires you do this and I hated it. I couldn't get the analog stick alternative to work reliably at all.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Or you ignore the motion controls in Mario like everyone else who's smart did and enjoy the game.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Joke's on you, I'm dumb as hell and still enjoyed the game

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LethalGeek posted:

Or you ignore the motion controls in Mario like everyone else who's smart did and enjoy the game.

There’s some things you can’t do with buttons.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SeANMcBAY posted:

There’s some things you can’t do with buttons.

You can't 100% the game without a few motion inputs. You can 99%+ the game, though, and that's more than most people do anyway

Spellman
May 31, 2011

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I think it's a misconception that you can't be "good" at Mario Party. Like Mario Kart, a skilled player will win significantly more than anyone else, and can potentially be untouchable

This Mario Party has more balanced mechanics akin to the first game, or some of the earlier ones where they first introduced items. Winning mini-games, collecting items and exploiting special dice gives you control of the board—higher rolls will get you to stars quickly, and to the position of the next star when it moves

It's pretty balanced, I like it so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Last turn, Peach is within 4 spots of getting 3 stars. She loads up her fixed die, and chooses to roll a 1 to land on a bad luck space.

Hardest A.I.