Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I feel like the biggest strides in ARPG innovation were made by Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, of all games. Every character had 4 or 5 basic combos (plus grabbing/throwing) in addition to 4 special abilities (one of which was an ultimate) and enemies were designed around small, semi-coordinated groups (with elites mixed in for random minibosses). Of course, the puzzles were pretty underwhelming and the physics were completely hosed, but I feel like Diablo would benefit a lot from having slightly more core gameplay complexity instead of focusing on being a Murderfarm Simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Check out this value proposition from blizzard:

0 additional character slots!! Wow!! Incredible!!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kith posted:

I feel like the biggest strides in ARPG innovation were made by Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, of all games. Every character had 4 or 5 basic combos (plus grabbing/throwing) in addition to 4 special abilities (one of which was an ultimate) and enemies were designed around small, semi-coordinated groups (with elites mixed in for random minibosses). Of course, the puzzles were pretty underwhelming and the physics were completely hosed, but I feel like Diablo would benefit a lot from having slightly more core gameplay complexity instead of focusing on being a Murderfarm Simulator.

Seriously. Hell, having some actual reactivity to the combat that's more than just flailing the same handful of canned animations at a bunch of enemies who also all have canned animations.

It's just so dated.

User
May 3, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Nap Ghost
How is the Tal Rasha meteor wizard meant to stay above 90% arcane for Aquila Cuirass?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Khorne posted:

Check out this value proposition from blizzard:

0 additional character slots!! Wow!! Incredible!!

I'm assuming that's because you've already got the max from seasonal Conquest etc?

Probably gives a "new" account a couple of extras for what they're worth
(Nothing)

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

User posted:

How is the Tal Rasha meteor wizard meant to stay above 90% arcane for Aquila Cuirass?

Every Tal Rasha's build I've seen that incorporates the Cuirass focuses on summoning meteors via rotating channeled skills and uses Hergbrash's Binding to keep their cost down.

Alternately, you sustain yourself with Arcane Power On Crit.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I'm kind of annoyed with the 'only 3 rebirths' thing. I don't really grasp what the harm is in letting someone run like 5 or 6 classes through a season if they feel inclined for it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Wait, there's a limit on Rebirths? ... Why? It's not like you get another set of set armor with each one. That's so dumb.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

The technology just isn't there yet.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
You can just delete/remake characters, so I have no idea why that's a thing at all.

mewse
May 2, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

You can just delete/remake characters, so I have no idea why that's a thing at all.

It’s purely for /played time

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Something that I definitely do not want to know. I'm sure it's depressing to see the total. Has to be in the thousands of hours for me by now...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

My launch night Wiz has over 1,300 hours played... :negative:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

totalnewbie posted:

I like hanging onto lifetime stats.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
On the flipside, actually typing my /played into WoW is what finally got me to let my account lapse. I was honestly surprised bordering on horrified when I did the math.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Didn't see it mentioned here but two of the bits of Blizzcon loot that are going to be up for preorder prominently feature the D2 logo/Dark Wanderer.

Still hoping for a D4 but would settle for some sort of remaster or remade campaign in the D3 engine even... Just give me content!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'd play the poo poo out of D2 if they added in the old classes, too, but with the style of the skills in D3 and on that engine. Wouldn't pay full retail, but like $40? gently caress yes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Would a Diablo 2 remake be obligated to artificially lag when you enter Tal Rasha's Chamber so Duriel can insta-kill you?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I dunno but I'd love to see what they can do with Arreat Summit on this engine.

I'm still annoyed that they pussed out on the original underlying ending of D2, namely that Tyrael was the bad guy all along. Baal was a bait and switch with the Marius flashback, yes, but it was also implied in the original story that the angels couldn't enter the chamber unless the seals were broken, then when all is said and done Tyrael destroys the Worldstone under false pretenses because he was secretly a dick the whole time. But yeah, D3 undid that entire angle and of course Tyrael is amazing and great and wonderful and gently caress Blizzard writing in the last decade.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 6, 2018

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
With Metzen gone lets just hope we can get a not-fall from grace/corruption/redemption story.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Fuzz posted:

I dunno but I'd love to see what they can do with Arreat Summit on this engine.

I'm still annoyed that they pussed out on the original underlying ending of D2, namely that Tyrael was the bad guy all along. Baal was a bait and switch with the Marius flashback, yes, but it was also implied in the original story that the angels couldn't enter the chamber unless the seals were broken, then when all is said and done Tyrael destroys the Worldstone under false pretenses because he was secretly a dick the whole time. But yeah, D3 undid that entire angle and of course Tyrael is amazing and great and wonderful and gently caress Blizzard writing in the last decade.

I have no idea what in D2 gives the impression that Tyrael was a secret rear end in a top hat, aside from taking your money to resurrect your hireling. There weren't any "seals" on the Worldstone's chamber; the Ancients guarded the summit, and Baal himself was preventing angels from intruding.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Generic Octopus posted:

I have no idea what in D2 gives the impression that Tyrael was a secret rear end in a top hat, aside from taking your money to resurrect your hireling. There weren't any "seals" on the Worldstone's chamber; the Ancients guarded the summit, and Baal himself was preventing angels from intruding.

Could be me misremembering, as I recall the ancients were the "seal" but it was some sort of angelic law that they couldn't enter the chamber, and the only reason he can at the end is through a loophole because Baal was in there and he needed you, the player, to take Baal out for him. Rewatching it now, I guess I was just being overly cynical too assume Tyrael wasn't on the level.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I've never rebirthed my launch day wizard just so I can marvel at how terrible she is from time to time.

A true D2 remaster is going to loving suck because playing the game without absurd dupes and runewords straight up isn't fun and the drop rates are asinine.

I hope we get a D3 Druid announcement.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Man I would love to be able to play some D2 builds in a modern game. A Necromancer with dozens of skeletons. A Druid turning into a werebear. A Paladin who gets a couple runewords to get a level 30 or so Shock Aura.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dameius posted:

With Metzen gone lets just hope we can get a not-fall from grace/corruption/redemption story.

If there is a D4 in the works it's absolutely going to involve killing your character from D3, since blizzard writing, like time, is a flat circle

Maybe Tyreal too, although we're running out of D2 characters to kill off and they didn't exactly introduce anyone new in D3 that wasn't killed off either

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only thing left is for Diablo to corrupt is Imperius (arguably the Diablo stand in for Yahweh/God/Al’ah) and for you to literally climb from the bottom of Hell to the top of Heaven and kill God

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Wizard is so obviously the canonical hero of D3, the arrogance and potential for Anime Diablo in D4 is simply too good to ignore.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s so lovely how they took the canonical necromancer and put him down like a nobody in a loving bounty

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Ryuujin posted:

Man I would love to be able to play some D2 builds in a modern game. A Necromancer with dozens of skeletons. A Druid turning into a werebear. A Paladin who gets a couple runewords to get a level 30 or so Shock Aura.

I just want to make a Hammerdin again.... The crusader's hammers suck rear end

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

If there is a D4 in the works it's absolutely going to involve killing your character from D3, since blizzard writing, like time, is a flat circle

Maybe Tyreal too, although we're running out of D2 characters to kill off and they didn't exactly introduce anyone new in D3 that wasn't killed off either

Imagine four Diablo plots standing in line at the edge of a cliff...

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Yahweh/God/Al’ah

This is the weirdest made up spelling I've ever seen for this. Where did that even come from? Google gives me nothing. Or is it an original?

Imperius is Michael while Tyrael is Gabriel, that's kinda heavily implied if you're gonna apply Christian mythology to it, more precisely Catholic mythos. I do think that the heavy implication is that Imperius goes "bad" and will try to cleanse humanity since they seem a cancer to him. There's also the fact that the black Soulstone is still kicking around so of course Diablo will show up... who knows, maybe this time it'll end up in Imperius' forehead and he'll turn into some ultra heavenly god demon.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
They could do a prequel, perhaps. OG Sin War, let the players play as various classes of demon and angel.

If they wanted to do both they could set it around Inarius and Lilith going rogue.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Could be me misremembering, as I recall the ancients were the "seal" but it was some sort of angelic law that they couldn't enter the chamber, and the only reason he can at the end is through a loophole because Baal was in there and he needed you, the player, to take Baal out for him. Rewatching it now, I guess I was just being overly cynical too assume Tyrael wasn't on the level.
There's a general "don't mess with Sanctuary" policy the angels have that Tyrael regularly breaks because reasons. Tyrael took pieces of the Worldstone to fashion the original Soulstones, so he's had access before. One of the reasons Tyrael might come off as sinister is that everything he does regarding the soulstones/Horadrim/etc. is done without consulting or informing the rest of Heaven.

Bust Rodd posted:

The only thing left is for Diablo to corrupt is Imperius (arguably the Diablo stand in for Yahweh/God/Al’ah)

Fuzz posted:

Imperius is Michael while Tyrael is Gabriel, that's kinda heavily implied if you're gonna apply Christian mythology to it, more precisely Catholic mythos. I do think that the heavy implication is that Imperius goes "bad" and will try to cleanse humanity since they seem a cancer to him. There's also the fact that the black Soulstone is still kicking around so of course Diablo will show up... who knows, maybe this time it'll end up in Imperius' forehead and he'll turn into some ultra heavenly god demon.

Yea, Imperius is blatantly a Michael stand-in. I don't expect him to pull a Malthael, he seemed more disdainful than hostile to me, but it wouldn't surprise me if Blizzard decided to go that route. The Black Soulstone is gone though, Malth broke it then it exploded when he did, so now all the demons are free (again). Honestly I can't wait to see if they decide that the events of D3 were also all part of Diablo's 5d chess gambit to reform Tathamet or something.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The thing is God doesn’t work as a character. You can’t get closer to a God stand in than Imperius or Tyrael because it would just be like an abstract concept of perfection and light

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s so lovely how they took the canonical necromancer and put him down like a nobody in a loving bounty

Wait, what? Which bounty is this?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Feel like he is referring to this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's not the D2 Necromancer in that subquest, it's his apprentice.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Where else did D2 characters show up in 3?

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

D4 would be preferably, but it's probably a remastered D2 (maaaaybe D1). I highly doubt it would be rebuilt in the D3 engine and, like SC, would just be the same D2 but with updates and HD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fuzz posted:

Where else did D2 characters show up in 3?

It's implied that the assassin killed the sorceress. The male barbarian was originally supposed to be the same one from Diablo II, but it was changed. The necromancer took on an apprentice that you can meet randomly in act II. The whereabouts of the amazon, druid, and paladin are unknown.