Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Lot of boujee pride in getting grifted in here.

Gay Horney posted:

I paid ninety dollars of my mom's money for halo two in a metal case and a special instruction manual in like 2006, your brain is very powerful

This one especially, lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR1A_FF7WNY&t=81s

quote:

There are ironically more limited editions than regular editions.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
or people are just saying that it's not a new phenomenan like that dude was implying.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

I take criticism seriously, bro. It's all about the dialectic.

I'm not convinced you're not the Mr Hyde to Todd Howard's Dr. Jekyll

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Saladin Rising posted:

This is honestly my main worry/issue with Fallout 76 in a nutshell. The anti-griefing measures seem decent so far, but I feel like Todd and Bethesda are continually under-estimating the lengths that a small but determined number of people will go to in order to screw with other players.

I've watched my friend play Skyrim a few times, and sometimes in a new area the first thing he'll do is start attacking every NPC in sight, and then get really annoyed that he can't kill the plot-critical ones like he wants to, that no matter what he tries they just stand back up again. This is the mindset I'm talking about, the type of player who plays for a while and then goes "I'm bored now, time to start attacking everything that moves, I don't care if they're important or not, ally, enemy, neutral, who cares".

I actually called my first Skyrim playthrough complete because I couldn't burn Whiterun to the ground and leave no stone unsundered. I joined the Stormcloaks as a dragon riding, daedra worshiping, Nord werewolf... and I don't really care if it wasn't coded into the game... I killed every Imperial bootlicker in Skyrim.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Moridin920 posted:

lmao

"it's not gamebryo"

This is your opening argument? Your best foot forward? Ok dude.

Gamebryo is nowhere to be found in the credits of Skyrim or Fallout 4. I guess if you're convinced that Bethesda are inveterate liars you might argue that they are lying in the credits (to impress nerds?) and they they just renamed Gamebryo, but Gamebryo isn't something that THEY can rename. Gamebyro is owned by the Korean company Gamebase and has been since before Skyrims release. You really think that this company is just sitting on their hands when they could claim a huge chunk of what has to be near 50 million copies sold, in the name of trolling nerds on the internet? Just admit you don't know that much about engines.

Moridin920 posted:

“Fallout 3 has 200 endings”

They explained exactly how this would work. That the ending cutscene had multiple parts similar to previous Fallout games did, and that the different ending were minor tweaks of each other. He even explicitly gave an example where adding a new section with 4 variants would push the number from 50 to 200. If you just read a bad headline and extrapolated your own nonsense then that's on lovely journalism and on you.

Moridin920 posted:

"radiant AI, unscripted living in real time"

This isn't even a Bethesda statement. You seem to have sourced it from an angry 4chan video.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Saladin Rising posted:

This is honestly my main worry/issue with Fallout 76 in a nutshell. The anti-griefing measures seem decent so far, but I feel like Todd and Bethesda are continually under-estimating the lengths that a small but determined number of people will go to in order to screw with other players.

I've watched my friend play Skyrim a few times, and sometimes in a new area the first thing he'll do is start attacking every NPC in sight, and then get really annoyed that he can't kill the plot-critical ones like he wants to, that no matter what he tries they just stand back up again. This is the mindset I'm talking about, the type of player who plays for a while and then goes "I'm bored now, time to start attacking everything that moves, I don't care if they're important or not, ally, enemy, neutral, who cares".

There's also the stuff that goes into the realm of griefing for griefing's sake; you know, stupid poo poo like door-blocking in The Division, where the only point is literally to piss other people off and keep them from being able to play the game. There's no in-lore punishment that Todd (or any game dev really) can design to counter this, because the whole point is that someone's getting their fun out of "lol, I figured out how to keep hundreds of people from playing the game". All you can generally do is ban them and try to fix whatever it was they were exploiting. (Yeah, Bethesda and bug-fixing don't have the greatest relationship.)

Ok I gotta come clean

The biggest reason I wanna play this game is to do exactly this

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Donovan Trip posted:

Ok I gotta come clean

The biggest reason I wanna play this game is to do exactly this

:respek:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
wait there are goons concerned with griefing? id be concerned that there were too many things in place to prevent it. griefing is what goons were made for

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

wait there are goons concerned with griefing? id be concerned that there were too many things in place to prevent it. griefing is what goons were made for
It's less than I'm concerned and more "lol Todd you have no idea just how loving stubborn people can be"; my friend was one step away from throwing his controller the 6th time those poor NPCs got back up again. If Todd thinks players like that are going to play along with the "vision" of what FO76 is rather than doing anything and everything to destroy and/or exploit the gently caress out everything they can in-game, then Todd's going to be one very unhappy camper.

Basically, I'm looking forward to watching the collective "oh gently caress" reaction once Todd and the devs realize just what they're up against, and have to shift into damage-control mode. Someone's going to figure out a money exploit, players are going to figure out how to bypass or exploit the slap system and start snipe-ganking, and of course there's the classic wall-clip glitches, crashes, and other various Bethesda jank that will actually have to be addressed and patched in a timely manner since it's a multi-player game.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MariusLecter posted:

Lot of boujee pride in getting grifted in here.

For real some of these posts are getting almost sad, companies are not your friends, you don't have to feverishly defend them when they keep doing poo poo things.

"WELL YOU SEE TECHNICALLY THEY DIDN'T LIE THEY WERE JUST EMBELLISHING AND I PAID OUT THE NOSE FOR INFLATED CRAP BEFORE SO WHY STOP NOW???"

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

7c Nickel posted:

Gamebryo is nowhere to be found in the credits of Skyrim or Fallout 4. I guess if you're convinced that Bethesda are inveterate liars you might argue that they are lying in the credits (to impress nerds?) and they they just renamed Gamebryo, but Gamebryo isn't something that THEY can rename. Gamebyro is owned by the Korean company Gamebase and has been since before Skyrims release. You really think that this company is just sitting on their hands when they could claim a huge chunk of what has to be near 50 million copies sold, in the name of trolling nerds on the internet? Just admit you don't know that much about engines.

Are we supposed to act like Skyrim actually does have a brand new engine? It's obviously still an updated Gamebryo.

Also, you don't know Bethesda's licensing agreement.

And yes, it's very likely this company is "sitting on their hands" considering they let most of their development team go, the last version of the engine was released back in 2012 and the last news on Gamebryo's website are from 2015. They're probably wringing as much licensing money out of it as they can without doing any more work.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 6, 2018

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
your friend is a retard and I'm glad he and the other idiots are mad

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yardbomb posted:

For real some of these posts are getting almost sad, companies are not your friends, you don't have to feverishly defend them when they keep doing poo poo things.

"WELL YOU SEE TECHNICALLY THEY DIDN'T LIE THEY WERE JUST EMBELLISHING AND I PAID OUT THE NOSE FOR INFLATED CRAP BEFORE SO WHY STOP NOW???"

I can openly disagree with your poorly considered positions without being "friends" with Bethesda Softworks. Them being a for-profit company and you being full of poo poo are not mutually exclusive.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Them being a for-profit company

You're still playing this "Well they HAVE to be lovely, it's how things have to be!" angle. And yes, that's what these arguments always are at their core. Quit sticking up for bad practices.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

7c Nickel posted:

They explained exactly how this would work. That the ending cutscene had multiple parts similar to previous Fallout games did, and that the different ending were minor tweaks of each other. He even explicitly gave an example where adding a new section with 4 variants would push the number from 50 to 200. If you just read a bad headline and extrapolated your own nonsense then that's on lovely journalism and on you.

This isn't even a Bethesda statement. You seem to have sourced it from an angry 4chan video.

What is it that possesses people to carry water for a corporation that doesn't give a hot gently caress about them

How do we stop this

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I will probably not buy fallout 76 immediately but I hope that the people that do have fun, with this game

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Just try the beta and decide then.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yardbomb posted:

You're still playing this "Well they HAVE to be lovely, it's how things have to be!" angle. And yes, that's what these arguments always are at their core. Quit sticking up for bad practices.

No. I disagree with your assertion that they are using "bad practices," and are being "lovely."

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zelder posted:

What is it that possesses people to carry water for a corporation that doesn't give a hot gently caress about them

How do we stop this

Some people don't like horseshit laden public discourse as a fundamental principle and will call people out on dissimulation and mistruth regardless of other concerns.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Zelder posted:

How do we stop this

Hey! Some actually get paid for their propaganda promoting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lambert posted:

Just try the beta and decide then.

That would mean needing to preorder the game

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Some people don't like horseshit laden public discourse as a fundamental principle and will call people out on dissimulation and mistruth regardless of other concerns.

Also known as "dismissing legitimate criticisms out of hand because I feel the need to fixate on one sentence that hurt my feelings."

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

No. I disagree with your assertion that they are using "bad practices," and are being "lovely."

microtransactions are a pretty bad practice

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Have you guys seriously been arguing about old Todd Howard interviews for the last few pages

Can we at least go back to talking about how the settlement system is bad or the BoS being fascist is actually good or something drat

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Wolfsheim posted:

Have you guys seriously been arguing about old Todd Howard interviews for the last few pages

Can we at least go back to talking about how the settlement system is bad or the BoS being fascist is actually good or something drat

You forgot Caesar was actually a good guy.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Wolfsheim posted:

Isn't there a terminal that indicates that Maxson is more or less taking orders from someone in the Circle of Steel, or was that something from TCRF?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Yardbomb posted:

Cosmetic microtransactions, free server hosting and playing fallout with my friends are all very good practices, bitch

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gay Horney posted:

Cosmetic microtransactions, free server hosting and playing fallout with my friends are all very good practices.

Same, but nicer.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Father Wendigo posted:

Isn't there a terminal that indicates that Maxson is more or less taking orders from someone in the Circle of Steel, or was that something from TCRF?

I'm not sure if I missed some backstory but I did wonder why the little kid you see in F3 basically allied himself against the people who raised him (the Lyons) and went full 'kill the impure' and embraced the Outcasts so readily. Like, I could see if he was doing it out of fear that they would assassinate him too or whatever, but he seems to fully buy into the fascist rhetoric.

Stockholm syndrome? Or maybe he was always just a poo poo little kid, I dunno :shrug:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

The embargo on footage lifts Monday, thank Christ

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Those pr events are icky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plIih6tXJ0E

Four day all expenses paid trip to WV, lodging at the Greenbrier, and "an afternoon of game time".

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I do not trust that design for events because Destiny 2 had one similar, and absolutelly nobody, not even the most toxic youtuber, warned the community about the huge and real problems with the game. It was when the game was in the hands in the public, we quickly noticed we got a neutered game where nothing felt powerful or special.

Events where the mesage is that controlled, can give the wrong impression of a game.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Donovan Trip posted:

The embargo on footage lifts Monday, thank Christ

Yes now if only they'd lift the embargo on good game design they'd be on to something

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Zelder posted:

How do we stop this

I find it weirder the way some people work up obsessive hate-ons for studios or individual members of the industry. From my point of view y'all are a few steps removed from the people threatening to kill a developer's pets .

Lambert posted:

Are we supposed to act like Skyrim actually does have a brand new engine? It's obviously still an updated Gamebryo.

Also, you don't know Bethesda's licensing agreement.

And yes, it's very likely this company is "sitting on their hands" considering they let most of their development team go, the last version of the engine was released back in 2012 and the last news on Gamebryo's website are from 2015. They're probably wringing as much licensing money out of it as they can without doing any more work.

How is it obvious? How could they get around not including it in the credits? Do you actually understand what Gamebryo is? I'll give you a hint. The fact that the SetRaceMenu command works in Morrowind as well as Skyrim does not mean that the command is part of Gamebryo.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 6, 2018

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

anyone considering this game should wait until a couple months after its release. uve been warned~

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

anyone considering this game should wait until a couple months after its release. uve been warned~

You might as well wave delicious pizza in front of my face and tell me no bites until tomorrow

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

7c Nickel posted:

How is it obvious? How could they get around not including it in the credits? Do you actually understand what Gamebryo is? I'll give you a hint. The fact that the SetRaceMenu command works in Morrowind as well as Skyrim does not mean that the command is part of Gamebryo.

Same file formats, same cell-based way of structuring/loading the world, same console commands. It's obviously still Gamebryo at its core - the alternative explanation is that they created a brand new engine that still has most of the same idiosyncrasies and still looks wildly out of date.

And for all we know, they bought a license or even perpetual rights to incorporating the engine code that doesn't entitle Gamebryo to any inclusion in the credits of the game. There are no laws that force inclusion in credits, it's all a matter of contracts or courtesy.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 6, 2018

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
Do y'all think Call of Duty is just Quake 3 still?

Or that Titanfall is Quake 1?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gay Horney posted:

I paid ninety dollars of my mom's money for halo two in a metal case and a special instruction manual in like 2006, your brain is very powerful

uh what's your point other than games haven't just really been $60 for a while now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

7c Nickel posted:

Yeah dude Todd Howard has a sterling reputation for never exaggerating or never telling any lies or misdirections and everyone saying the opposite of that is just a lunatic, clearly.

Like are you serious with this like Todd Howard's reputation for exaggerating isn't on the same list as Peter Molyneaux. Doesn't mean he doesn't still make good games but memes like "tell me lies Todd" and "it just works" exist for a reason.

Horseshit laden public discourse is all ya'll pretending like Bethesda isn't just trying to cash in on the latest game industry fads with a popular IP. It might still be fun but people are allowed to be disgruntled about it, esp the core fanbase that pretty much just wants more RPG type games I'm sure.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 6, 2018