Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hope the NPCs have "Have you heard of the high elves" as incidental dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

"The dwarves (which all of surface races call the Dwaevi) are a stout and proud people" - random human NPC

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I saw a mudcrab the other day.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

fruit BOO!ts posted:

I saw a mudcrab the other day.

Fearsome creatures.

Well, goodbye.

Hello!

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I've never said this before in my life, but, the new Assassin's Creed game looks good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

AC games trip me up because they look good, especially lately, and then I play them and they still suck balls. Beautiful worlds with absolutely nothing compelling to do in them. Bad stealth, bad melee combat, killing the same 2 enemy types 10000000 times, remarkably lame side quests and main quests for that matter.

Ubisoft creates stunning looking open worlds at this point but there is really nothing interesting to do in them. There's no opportunity for emergent gameplay, there's no challenge, there's nothing tactical about it. There's no real hook to make any of their games interesting for more than a few hours.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I've enjoyed every AC game except the one in France.

jeffery
Jan 1, 2013
bye

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

The high water mark of the rear end creed franchise was rear end brotherhood and everything since has been beating a dead horse at best

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
So like... Has anyone actually played the new rear end Creed? It looks fun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't. But I played origins, the other one that looked fun, and people said was fun. And it wasn't very fun. And it looks like the same game so I'm gonna hard pass on it.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

a bone to pick posted:

So like... Has anyone actually played the new rear end Creed? It looks fun.

If you trust Jim Sterling, it's a grind fest to sell micro-transaction premium currency XP boosts.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, nothing can kill my hype for a game faster than single player microtransactions

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't. But I played origins, the other one that looked fun, and people said was fun. And it wasn't very fun. And it looks like the same game so I'm gonna hard pass on it.

:same:

People always say the new one is fun and much better than the others but then it's not really. I wisened up after playing Black Flag and not really enjoying it. I figured if they can't even make pirates fun there's no hope.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Universe Master posted:

If you trust Jim Sterling, it's a grind fest to sell micro-transaction premium currency XP boosts.

I was thinking about getting it but i saw a lot of people say this and i looked it up and jim sterling is objectively full poo poo and imo thats pretty goddamned pathetic behavior for however old that dumb nerd is.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

veni veni veni posted:

AC games trip me up because they look good, especially lately, and then I play them and they still suck balls. Beautiful worlds with absolutely nothing compelling to do in them. Bad stealth, bad melee combat, killing the same 2 enemy types 10000000 times, remarkably lame side quests and main quests for that matter.

Ubisoft creates stunning looking open worlds at this point but there is really nothing interesting to do in them. There's no opportunity for emergent gameplay, there's no challenge, there's nothing tactical about it. There's no real hook to make any of their games interesting for more than a few hours.

Yeah they sucker me with the locations and they do a real good job of it but its pretty boring after the first sweep through of everything.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Final Fantasy Adventure > Link's Awakening DS, and it's not all that close.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Final Fantasy Adventure > Link's Awakening DS, and it's not all that close.

Im not going to listen to your opinion until you explain how the gently caress you solved the figure 8 in the desert without a strategy guide?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

DogonCrook posted:

I was thinking about getting it but i saw a lot of people say this and i looked it up and jim sterling is objectively full poo poo and imo thats pretty goddamned pathetic behavior for however old that dumb nerd is.

Jim Sterling is a scholar and a gentleman. I will not hear his name disparaged :colbert:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Jim Sterling is a scholar and a gentleman. I will not hear his name disparaged :colbert:

Hes pretty wrong about this along with polygon.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Barudak posted:

Hes pretty wrong about this along with polygon.

So is the game a microtransaction nightmare or not?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Barudak posted:

Im not going to listen to your opinion until you explain how the gently caress you solved the figure 8 in the desert without a strategy guide?

Not easily but a friend and I finally figured it out.

I remember being stuck on some stupid part in Awakening even longer.

e: Actually I think it was his older brother, he didn't play games but would help us figure poo poo out if we bugged him.

Possibly why he now works at Google and I post about game boy.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 6, 2018

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a bone to pick posted:

It's a single player game where you can pay real money for XP boosts. i dont think its unreasonable to assume the default XP gain will be adjusted to manipulate people into buying XP boosts.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

a bone to pick posted:

If nightmare means “there exists a feature that permanently doubles your xp gains that costs real money and completely breaks the games intended difficulty curve”, yes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rutibex posted:

It's a single player game where you can pay real money for XP boosts. i dont think its unreasonable to assume the default XP gain will be adjusted to manipulate people into buying XP boosts.

Devil May Cry 4 had this. Nobody remembers it because the game wasnt tuned around it, much like Odyssee isnt. Its basically charging people for cheatcodes since the game comes with two different forms of easy mode.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Rutibex posted:

I hate Jim Sterling. He earns $13,000 a month on Patreon and all he does is spit out spiteful, vitriolic, negative drivel. Lets go to Jim Sterling's youtube page and get a summary ofwhat his clickbait video titles are...

Assassin's Creed Origins: It's greedy, it's grindy
Hacked Hentai Prison - one of 36 bad hentai games
Fifa Ultimate team pack - less than 1% odds
Nintendo Switch Online Cloud Save Debacle
Shadow of the Tomb Raider: A Shadow of its former self
Shenmue is a masterpiece

His audience must just love hating video-games, I don't get it

He's fat as gently caress too

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

a bone to pick posted:

I played origins and it actually seems faster than that from peoples comments. I mean there are microtransactions but i cant find anyone who has played it complaining and a lot of people saying the only thing they noticed is you level up really fast. Like a fort is half a level at lvl 30. So it may literally be the opposite of what he said.

I dont know who he is or what he said but his forums warriors are in every drat comment section getting owned.

I mean i agree with the idea that microtransactions are poo poo and saying they should take them out is fine. I think he did actually just make some poo poo up that is really easy to disprove though lol.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Not easily but a friend and I finally figured it out.

I remember being stuck on some stupid part in Awakening even longer.

e: Actually I think it was his older brother, he didn't play games but would help us figure poo poo out if we bugged him.

Possibly why he now works at Google and I post about game boy.

You are the first person ive ever encountered who isnt like “I love final fantasy adventure but its a shame the games bugged and you cant proceed after the desert”

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

poverty goat posted:

The high water mark of the rear end creed franchise was rear end brotherhood and everything since has been beating a dead horse at best

Pretty much. Sucks how they removed the fun puzzle segments that gave you more of the batshit backstory from future installments.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

CrRoMa posted:

they hate what mainstream AAA games have become. or at least I do, and that's why I like jim

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rutibex posted:

they hate what mainstream AAA games have become. or at least I do, and that's why I like jim

Good thing you're alive during the golden age of lovely dime a dozen or indie games, with a backlog too deep to waste time complaining about a handful of games a year that you categorically dislike

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

poverty goat posted:

Good thing you're alive during the golden age of lovely dime a dozen or indie games, with a backlog too deep to waste time complaining about a handful of games a year that you categorically dislike

Nah, AAA devs are still trendsetters and they're setting all kinds of poison trends so gently caress them and it's okay to get mad at em bud.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CrRoMa posted:

I hate Jim Sterling. He earns $13,000 a month on Patreon and all he does is spit out spiteful, vitriolic, negative drivel. Lets go to Jim Sterling's youtube page and get a summary ofwhat his clickbait video titles are...

Assassin's Creed Origins: It's greedy, it's grindy
Hacked Hentai Prison - one of 36 bad hentai games
Fifa Ultimate team pack - less than 1% odds
Nintendo Switch Online Cloud Save Debacle
Shadow of the Tomb Raider: A Shadow of its former self
Shenmue is a masterpiece

He's fat as gently caress too

Let's not forget that he wears a top hat with a corset on it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

poverty goat posted:

On cannot live IN a Golden Age. :eng101:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rutibex posted:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Indie game fans are like vegans in that they never shut the gently caress up about how great indie games are, despite it being a personal preference.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Lol i was picturing in my head what this guy might look like and it wasnt flattering but ill be damned.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

CrRoMa posted:

Shenmue is a masterpiece

That video was a sarcastic response to comments that said his review "Shenmue – Forklift Boy And His Rubbish Game" ruined his credibility lol

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Barudak posted:

You are the first person ive ever encountered who isnt like “I love final fantasy adventure but its a shame the games bugged and you cant proceed after the desert”

If you want to talk about bullshit puzzles, the compass in Metal Gear gets my nomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

veni veni veni posted:

AC Origins was just tedious, imo. Well, I only spent like ten hours on it, but those ten hours were devoid of fun. Reminded me of Farcry 4, another game people said was fun, and reinforced the idea that Ubisoft games are alike in how nikquetoast and boring they are.