Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I bought the 100-400. 55-200, 18-55 and X-T20 will be listed for sale soon.

What have I done???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

mAlfunkti0n posted:

What have I done???

Set yourself up for success?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

accipter posted:

Set yourself up for success?

I’ve been told that success is a good thing so I’m happy with that.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

mAlfunkti0n posted:

What have I done???

You might want the teleconverter eventually if you are birding and I’m happy to say that it owns and doesn’t seem to affect iq at all. I really enjoyed it all on the x-t2.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

mAlfunkti0n posted:

What have I done???

Please post results and let us know how it goes. That one is on my list... just don't know if it's going to be before the 16/1.4, 56/1.2, or both.

Edit: regarding EOS-R chat: it seems like a pretty good deal, especially compared to the more expensive 5DIV considering that it shares most of the core specs (unless you need the 5D's more developed autofocus system features). Plus the initial native lens offerings appear to be better than Nikon's.

The 4K crop doesn't seem like too much of big deal as long as the video quality itself is good and works with dual-pixel AF while recording. And speaking of the crop, I wonder if the EF to R adapter allows for mounting EF-S lenses. Something like the 10-18mm would still provide the user with fairly wide FoV in spite of the 1.8X crop.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 6, 2018

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Please post results and let us know how it goes. That one is on my list... just don't know if it's going to be before the 16/1.4, 56/1.2, or both.

I have rented the 100-400 a few months ago and really liked it. This trip just forced me into it because the 55-200 isn’t at all long enough to shoot some of the things I really like. It will go along with my 23, 35 and 50 f2 primes, so it will give me all WR lenses now as well.

I rented the 16 and really liked it (love that focus ring!) and I owned the 56 for awhile. Honestly not a bad lens in the Fuji lineup.

Juergoslav
Mar 10, 2013

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The 4K crop doesn't seem like too much of big deal as long as the video quality itself is good and works with dual-pixel AF while recording. And speaking of the crop, I wonder if the EF to R adapter allows for mounting EF-S lenses. Something like the 10-18mm would still provide the user with fairly wide FoV in spite of the 1.8X crop.

We tried exactly that lens just not for video only stills.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I have my eye on the a7iii, but I’m also considering the fuji x-t3. How would the two systems compare if I wanted to do portraits, product photography and video? would the aps-c format be too inferior to full frame in low light situations?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
I dunno about portraiture and product stuff, but the X-T3 looks like it has some extremely nice looking video. The fuji color profiles on video look great, and even my X-T20 makes some really decent looking video despite it being one of the worse models for video. The lens lineup helps a lot, there aren't really any bad lenses, just some have more features or better construction.

As far as shooting in low light, I use my fuji for that almost exclusively now and it does great. I don't know what the T stops are on the faster glass lines but they're really good, if I'm wide open I can shoot about 1/100 shutter speed at iso 200 in starless/moonless/low street lighting conditions. I wouldn't worry about it not being able to handle well in low light.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

KinkyJohn posted:

I have my eye on the a7iii, but I’m also considering the fuji x-t3. How would the two systems compare if I wanted to do portraits, product photography and video? would the aps-c format be too inferior to full frame in low light situations?

The X-T2 did very well in low light (in some ways better than the a7ii that I switched to) so I wouldn’t think you’d have any real issues with the 3. Fuji has some great portrait lens options. I think you’d be fine with either for your purposes so it really just depends on which you prefer and a lot of that would come down to which lenses you want to use/looking at the two lens ecosystems.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Edit: regarding EOS-R chat: it seems like a pretty good deal, especially compared to the more expensive 5DIV considering that it shares most of the core specs (unless you need the 5D's more developed autofocus system features). Plus the initial native lens offerings appear to be better than Nikon's.

DPReview talk about this in their EOS R video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9GGeFROlN8 (starting around 15:50). They used a 17-55 2.8 and it worked well.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Hello Spaceman posted:

Hot tip for anybody in the market for Fuji glass: buy in South Africa :q:

Despite South African retailers getting stock from Fuji Japan, the economy making GBS threads the bed, and the currency being worth less than Monopoly money, lenses there are dirt cheap right now.

I checked some of the SA online stores earlier and probably going to order a 35mm f/2 and 50-140mm f/2.8, for my friends there to bring to me in Ireland. The 35mm f/2 works out to ~$270. The 50-140 f/2.8 works out to ~$1275. Cheap enough to be worth the hassle.

(Though maybe this might be indicative of pricing the Northern Hemisphere countries can expect closer to Black Friday and holiday season sales.)

any shops you’re looking at specifically?

HorribleAvatar
Feb 26, 2012

We're through running form these bastards!
Does anyone here have any experience adapting older manual focus macro lenses to Sony, I have an A73. I had been looking at one of the Canon 50mm 3.5 S.S.Cs locally but it sold before I got there earlier today. This will be my first macro lens so I was looking to save a little money before buying an newer autofocus lens. Thanks in advance.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

KinkyJohn posted:

any shops you’re looking at specifically?

I used to live in Johannesburg and got my camera gear from kameraz.co.za (their physical store), but if you’re visiting Cape Town then Orms.co.za also has a physical store. Both online stores have the prices I mentioned.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

HorribleAvatar posted:

Does anyone here have any experience adapting older manual focus macro lenses to Sony, I have an A73. I had been looking at one of the Canon 50mm 3.5 S.S.Cs locally but it sold before I got there earlier today. This will be my first macro lens so I was looking to save a little money before buying an newer autofocus lens. Thanks in advance.

Yeah, with focus peaking + magnification it's great. I just picked up an FD 70-200L f/4 for an upcoming trip to New Zealand - have the Sony 55-210 OSS but image quality is absolute garbage (the main reason I still have it is that I'd feel guilty selling it to anyone...), and there's no way I'm paying for the 70-200 OSS. Wish I had a later model A7 body with IBIS (I've got the OG A7) but still very happy with it.

The Micro Nikkors are cheap, plentiful, and good, shouldn't run you more than $60 or so on eBay. Easily one of the best bang-for-buck purchases I've made in photography, opens up an entirely new type of shooting.

Edit: here are some photos from the other day, 1st two are from FD 70-200, last one is Macro Nikkor

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 6, 2018

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

rio posted:

You might want the teleconverter eventually if you are birding and I’m happy to say that it owns and doesn’t seem to affect iq at all. I really enjoyed it all on the x-t2.

Which one did you use?

HorribleAvatar
Feb 26, 2012

We're through running form these bastards!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Yeah, with focus peaking + magnification it's great. I just picked up an FD 70-200L f/4 for an upcoming trip to New Zealand - have the Sony 55-210 OSS but image quality is absolute garbage (the main reason I still have it is that I'd feel guilty selling it to anyone...), and there's no way I'm paying for the 70-200 OSS. Wish I had a later model A7 body with IBIS (I've got the OG A7) but still very happy with it.

The Micro Nikkors are cheap, plentiful, and good, shouldn't run you more than $60 or so on eBay. Easily one of the best bang-for-buck purchases I've made in photography, opens up an entirely new type of shooting.

Edit: here are some photos from the other day, 1st two are from FD 70-200, last one is Macro Nikkor

Thanks for the advice I'll look into those, mainly the reason I wanted the Canon 50 was that it looked small and light so that I could take it hiking with me. Are those hedgehog spines in the last pic?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Which one did you use?

The 1.4 - I wanted to keep the aperture as open as I could and it gave me enough reach for my purposes.

HorribleAvatar posted:

I am using a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 (Kiron build) as my macro with my a7ii and am loving it despite its quirks. I haven’t had a ton of time to go out with it but I got these on my first outing with it. They are very tiny flowers.

I wouldn’t say it is easy exactly due to the push pull focus in macro mode but with focus peaking and magnification it really does make it fun to use and accurate.

Edit: I should mention that in terms of “cheap” this lens was 12 dollars + shipping from KEH in excellent condition and I can use it as a tele of course too. Can’t really ask for more at that absurdly low price.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

HorribleAvatar posted:

Thanks for the advice I'll look into those, mainly the reason I wanted the Canon 50 was that it looked small and light so that I could take it hiking with me. Are those hedgehog spines in the last pic?

Yeah, the Nikkor is pretty reasonable in terms of weight as well. I paid slightly more for one with the extension tube but I never use it and wouldn't miss it.

Echidna! :eng101:

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I canceled my order of the 100-400 after giving it more thought. I’ve been on the fence about going to the Sony side of things for awhile.

I’m still selling my 55-200 and 18-55 but will likely be putting up everything else too. I enjoy the xt2 a lot but the battery life was awful and I wouldn’t mind having IBIS again.

Ugh. Must sit and think more.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I think that product photography might be one of the few applications where the Fuji APSC system wouldn't be immediately suitable right out of the box. To see what I mean, go to the dpreview test scene comparison tool and bring up any 24MP X-Trans camera to compare with any contemporary Canon, Sony, etc. in RAW mode and check out the photos of the people, particularly the sclera of their eyes, and most especially the two on the right. There's color bleed. Folks looking downright jaundiced. That's easy enough to fix in actual portraits, but is an indication that you might face some color accuracy challenges with product photography. The in-camera JPEGs have the same kind of issues. The RAWs presented by dpr are from ACR default. I have heard that other RAW developers with different demosaicing processes might give you different results with Fuji files (iridient x-transformer or capture one?), but I'm not sure what effect it would have on edge color accuracy in finely detailed areas.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Oh hey product photog here.
One of my guys uses Fuji, but his subjects are typically monochrome/boxy, so it's not a big deal. However, he spends a lot of time in post.

Use Nikon, Canon, or MFT for product photography. Preferably FF Canikon. If you're okay having kinda small shots, the 4k focus stack on panny is pretty great, but usually a tinge green. Manual WB takes care of it though.

KennyG
Oct 22, 2002
Here to blow my own horn.
https://m.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r-first-impressions-review

The dpreview first impression of the R has been posted. It’s very positive for image quality but they basically take a huge shot at the M-Fn bar and the other control changes as being ill advised. The most optimistic read I have of the dead-touch bar is that it’s more for video so it doesn’t click on the audio. Otherwise it’s likely not to be repeated in its current incarnation.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I canceled my order of the 100-400 after giving it more thought. I’ve been on the fence about going to the Sony side of things for awhile.

I’m still selling my 55-200 and 18-55 but will likely be putting up everything else too. I enjoy the xt2 a lot but the battery life was awful and I wouldn’t mind having IBIS again.

Ugh. Must sit and think more.

XH1. Keep in the ecosystem, get the ibis.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

torgeaux posted:

XH1. Keep in the ecosystem, get the ibis.
mAlfunkti0n switches systems/gets in and out of the hobby more frequently than anyone I’ve seen. Just let them do their thing.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

mAlfunkti0n switches systems/gets in and out of the hobby more frequently than anyone I’ve seen. Just let them do their thing.

Hahaha sorry. I’m wishy washy. The 100-400 would be great to have but I live in Ohio and there isn’t terribly much to photograph with it like there would be back out west. The 55-200 has sat in my drawer up until this vacation and I’ve got primes that cover the kit lens zoom range.

I’m just depressed with having to come back home. Buying crap is always that easy high but I have no cash for it right now.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Hahaha sorry. I’m wishy washy. The 100-400 would be great to have but I live in Ohio and there isn’t terribly much to photograph with it like there would be back out west. The 55-200 has sat in my drawer up until this vacation and I’ve got primes that cover the kit lens zoom range.

I’m just depressed with having to come back home. Buying crap is always that easy high but I have no cash for it right now.

You’re telling me you can take a good picture of the Field of Corn with anything under 300mm?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

tk posted:

You’re telling me you can take a good picture of the Field of Corn with anything under 300mm?

Yup. It’s best to use an ultra wide since the field of view pushes objects apart, it will push your depression further away too.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I think that product photography might be one of the few applications where the Fuji APSC system wouldn't be immediately suitable right out of the box. To see what I mean, go to the dpreview test scene comparison tool and bring up any 24MP X-Trans camera to compare with any contemporary Canon, Sony, etc. in RAW mode and check out the photos of the people, particularly the sclera of their eyes, and most especially the two on the right. There's color bleed. Folks looking downright jaundiced. That's easy enough to fix in actual portraits, but is an indication that you might face some color accuracy challenges with product photography. The in-camera JPEGs have the same kind of issues. The RAWs presented by dpr are from ACR default. I have heard that other RAW developers with different demosaicing processes might give you different results with Fuji files (iridient x-transformer or capture one?), but I'm not sure what effect it would have on edge color accuracy in finely detailed areas.

Thanks for this. I’m thinking I should perhaps go for the a7riii so that I’d be good for product photography and decent enough for video. Then wait for the a7siii if I want to get serious about video.

I’m assuming the sony FE 90mm 2.8 G macro is the go to macro lens for product photography in the sony ecosystem

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I think the product photographer up thread recommended canikon cameras for product photography, maybe over Sony for color accuracy reasons. Wait, I thought Fuji was the one with color accuracy concerns, you might say. But Fuji's thing is more an issue of color bleeding around edges, while Sony (along with pretty much all ILC makers except canikon) just doesn't have very accurate reds straight out of camera. As they say about Panasonic's green tint, you can take care of all those brands' color balance issues in post. Still, why make the extra work for yourself? If you're set on mirrorless, Nikon Z cameras have focus stacking, which is nice. Too bad the lens selection is so bad right now. Although macro lenses aren't generally known for their focus speed or compact size, so you'd probably be just as well served by adapting an F-mount macro. Nikon makes some great ones.

Don't know if the EOS R has focus stacking.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Sony is very very good, it's just very very expensive, and the battery life is generally poo poo unless you get the A9 or a battery grip. Also when your camera doesn't have to be as mobile, the mirror isn't as big of a deal.

You can get cheap decent 90mm macros for Canikon, and one of Canon's best lenses is the 100mm 2.8.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Tangent question, which I hope isn't too dumb. What is Canikon? Is it just a colloquial term for "Canon and Nikon" or is it an actual entity? I tried googling around and found references to a joint collaboration between the two companies, but I couldn't find any real solid references.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

pseudorandom posted:

Tangent question, which I hope isn't too dumb. What is Canikon? Is it just a colloquial term for "Canon and Nikon" or is it an actual entity? I tried googling around and found references to a joint collaboration between the two companies, but I couldn't find any real solid references.

Not a bad question at all! If you want to learn a thing, ask a thing!

Yes, it refers to the big two in camera body makers, Canon and Nikon.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Canikony if you also want to refer to Sony...

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Hello Spaceman posted:

I used to live in Johannesburg and got my camera gear from kameraz.co.za (their physical store), but if you’re visiting Cape Town then Orms.co.za also has a physical store. Both online stores have the prices I mentioned.

Kameraz.com and ormsdirect.co.za , there's also outdoorphoto.co.za but they're all pretty much level in pricing. I like the staff at kameraz, and their used kit is very high quality.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Sony is very very good, it's just very very expensive, and the battery life is generally poo poo unless you get the A9 or a battery grip. Also when your camera doesn't have to be as mobile, the mirror isn't as big of a deal.

You can get cheap decent 90mm macros for Canikon, and one of Canon's best lenses is the 100mm 2.8.

Is this right? My A7iii is finally arriving today (stock has been crazy in the uk it seems) and I always thought it was good. I’ve only got the one battery to take away with me.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

That model has the larger 700 shot CIPA rating, so you'll be fine. It's the a7ii, a7rii, a7sii, a7s, a7r, a7 that have the dinky power cell.

Everybody's use is different, but when I posted that, it was within the context of product photography and day-long shoots. You'll be fine!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
https://www.diyphotography.net/new-sony-a7iii-boasts-best-battery-life-mirrorless-camera-ever-700-shots-per-full-charge/

quote:

The new Sony A7III boasts best battery life in a mirrorless camera ever – Over 700 shots per full charge

How about that for a reassuring headline?

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
It looks like Capture One has a perpetual license for Fujifilm owners now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

SimpleCoax posted:

It looks like Capture One has a perpetual license for Fujifilm owners now.

This is awesome.

Just another reason to stay with Fuji .. oh and the whole money thing and I don't need to spend more.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 8, 2018