Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

isndl posted:

Is it just me or did Google force Translate to always sit in the notification tray for Tap To Translate in the newest update?

Just posted about it in the apps thread.

Edit: all I see is hiding the icon and minimizing the notification. Can't make it go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The next week or two of phone announces can't come quick enough. My 6P is starting to do that "shutting down with 30% battery still remaining".

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

The only Android UI I've had trouble with was LG's skin, and even then it only took me a couple of minutes to realize there wasn't an app drawer and then it was smooth sailing.

Literally the first thing I did after I got my V20 and saw that lovely stretch animation when I scrolled to the edge was download an alternate launcher. LG made some other minor changes to the UI but I actually really like most of them--the settings app is tabenated, the way it's set up and organized is actually really well done.

These days of course I'm running with a modified version of Pixel Launcher that has the Pixel's Weather app and Now Feed on the left hacked in and the ability to hide apps (why the gently caress is there dedicated Device Unlock and Tether apps anyway?) and I couldn't be happier.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Yay or nay on the Pixel 1 XL 128GB for $150 while waiting for the Pixel 3? Yeah the 3 drops next week but I'm not wanting to grab it immediately and the Nexus 6 kind of needs a replacement since it can't take pictures anymore and it gets really, really hot.

Ex said the screen has been replaced but works the same and there's no marks as it's been in a case.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yay or nay on the Pixel 1 XL 128GB for $150 while waiting for the Pixel 3? Yeah the 3 drops next week but I'm not wanting to grab it immediately and the Nexus 6 kind of needs a replacement since it can't take pictures anymore and it gets really, really hot.

Ex said the screen has been replaced but works the same and there's no marks as it's been in a case.

Sure, why not? Should be able to sell the Nexus 6 for a good chunk of that price, and can always sell the Pixel XL if/when you buy the 3.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Probably the best you can get for $150 if it really has no issues and you absolutely need a phone now.

That latest Hong Kong leak confirms something else via the retail packaging.

Pixel boxes always have the tagline "Designed by Google, Made in x" . The P2 XL says "Made in Korea" since it's built by LG. The normal P2 would say "Made in Taiwan" since it's made by HTC.

The P3 XL retail box says "Designed by Google, Made in China" which pretty much confirms Foxconn as the manufacturer as previously speculated.

Also, I don't think we have to worry about the display for either of the models (both likely made by LG). LG's new generation plants are online as they've been tapped for iPhone screens. Also, a few of the reviews of the v40 have mentioned noted improvement over last years v30.

From The Verge:

quote:

Like the Samsung, this screen is an OLED panel, so it has rich colors, deep blacks, and excellent viewing angles. It’s noticeably better than the V30’s OLED screen, and I don’t have any complaints with it.

No, it's still not going to be able to top Samsung's flagship displays that Samsung puts in their own devices, but the differences are ones that are likely only going to show up in benchmarks (600 nits of brightness vs 570, 220% of the sRGB colorspace compared to 160%). I think we can assume that the P3 models are going to have similar screens to the v40.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Also did I hear 3750mah battery in that Hong Kong leak video? That's hefty, if true.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Keep in mind that it's still only basing that on software running on the phone which may or may not be accurate.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Keep in mind that it's still only basing that on software running on the phone which may or may not be accurate.

Ahh, I thought it was printed on the box he had. Fair.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
So the Pixel 3 will be available Oct 9th after the announcement. Any idea how long it'd be until it physically arrives?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Merkinman posted:

So the Pixel 3 will be available Oct 9th after the announcement. Any idea how long it'd be until it physically arrives?

Depends where in the world you are.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

The Merkinman posted:

Pixel 2 was announced Oct 4th and available Oct 19th. Pixel 1 was also announced Oct 4th available Oct 20th. Pixel 3 will probably be available Oct 29th or so.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/9lsxco/more_leaks_price/

Prices have leaked due to Canadian carriers jumping the gun and sending out upgrade offers.

In CAD:
Pixel 3 64gb - $999
Pixel 3 128gb - $1129
Pixel 3XL 64gb - $1129
Pixel 3XL 128gb - $1259

Which puts US prices at:

Pixel 3 64gb - $771
Pixel 3 128gb - $871
Pixel 3XL 64gb - $871
Pixel 3XL 128gb - $971

Probably bumped up or down a little

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

OhFunny posted:

Pixel 2 was announced Oct 4th and available Oct 19th. Pixel 1 was also announced Oct 4th available Oct 20th. Pixel 3 will probably be available Oct 29th or so.

This depends on where in the world you are. Are you referring to US dates?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

CLAM DOWN posted:

This depends on where in the world you are. Are you referring to US dates?

Yes.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Oh it'll be available for pre-order on the 9th, I see. Well hopefully living in NYC will give me an advantage in getting it relatively soon after availability. The case for my Nexus 5 is disintegrating, let alone still using a ~5 year old phone itself.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

OhFunny posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/9lsxco/more_leaks_price/

Prices have leaked due to Canadian carriers jumping the gun and sending out upgrade offers.

In CAD:
Pixel 3 64gb - $999
Pixel 3 128gb - $1129
Pixel 3XL 64gb - $1129
Pixel 3XL 128gb - $1259

Which puts US prices at:

Pixel 3 64gb - $771
Pixel 3 128gb - $871
Pixel 3XL 64gb - $871
Pixel 3XL 128gb - $971

Probably bumped up or down a little

My mind just boggles at spending laptop money on a phone. I really don't understand why there isn't a $200-300 pixel phone to compete with other midrange Android phones. Maybe the OEMs are pressuring Google to stay out of their market.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

mod sassinator posted:

I really don't understand why there isn't a $200-300 pixel phone to compete with other midrange Android phones.

This is the exact purpose of the Android One program.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mod sassinator posted:

My mind just boggles at spending laptop money on a phone. I really don't understand why there isn't a $200-300 pixel phone to compete with other midrange Android phones. Maybe the OEMs are pressuring Google to stay out of their market.

A phone is a device you use almost every minute of every day. It's not unreasonable to spend a lot on it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

nimper posted:

This is the exact purpose of the Android One program.

Yeah and they're all pretty poo poo devices in the $200-300 range unfortunately. I'd love to find something otherwise but in the US there's nothing good in Android One.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Jerk McJerkface posted:

A phone is a device you use almost every minute of every day. It's not unreasonable to spend a lot on it.

That's my desktop and laptop you just described, not my phone. My phone is an emergency computing device when one of those two is not available to me.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

That's my desktop and laptop you just described, not my phone. My phone is an emergency computing device when one of those two is not available to me.

Fact is, desktop usage has been dropping in recent years while mobile usage has been going up. And younger people are less likely to own a desktop than older people.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah and they're all pretty poo poo devices in the $200-300 range unfortunately. I'd love to find something otherwise but in the US there's nothing good in Android One.

What, exactly, are you expecting Google to do in that space that Nokia has not.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

bull3964 posted:

What, exactly, are you expecting Google to do in that space that Nokia has not.

Check out all the midrangers in China... these things are $200-300 and completely blow away anything in Android One and the US: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVJ5yuUCk8wCD57ZG3xh1vNddiLDBwvAb Stuff like the Pocophone have a snapdragon 845 (that's flagship level CPU), tons of RAM, great screens, good cameras, etc. for a third of the price of a $1000 phone. I'm expecting Google to offer something similar. And this isn't just Xiaomi having some secret sauce--there are dozens of China midrangers with great processors, screens, cameras, etc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aren't those the phones that can't play HD video

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Do your research before believing whatever FUD you read. Some of the cheap ones don't support security level 1 and Netflix's app won't do HD. But if you actually take time to look at the reviews and specs you'll see ones (some even in the Android One program but not sold in the US) have full support for security level 1. They even support stuff like Google's Treble and such which a lot of phones in the US don't even support.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 6, 2018

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Where exactly are you getting this? This post on the official forums says supporting Widevine L1 is being "investigated":

https://en.miui.com/thread-3935216-1-1.html

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Check out Huawei's phones, like the Honor Note 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riv_oykNsfk&t=671s If you really for some reason need HD for just Netflix on the tiny phone screen then there are options. Personally I'll save the $600+ and get a Xiaomi phone... if it's an option.

But this is all avoiding the issue.. there's no reason why these phones shouldn't be available in the USA--a ~$300 phone with good specs, Android One, etc. Not the $300 crap that's years old we get today.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fine but recognize you're in a rapidly plummeting minority. A phone is the primary computing device for a lot of people now, and we're completely willing to pay those prices for a good one.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Nah, sorry $1k+ flagship buyers are absolutely the minority. 99% of Android phones are cheap ones sold to billions of people around the world. Now of course those $1k+ phones are where the biggest profits are to be made so we're sold a bill of goods that we need to buy them, but the fact is there are fantastic $200-300 phones with much better performance and specs than more expensive phones. Just not in the US, because... well I don't know why.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

Nah, sorry $1k+ flagship buyers are absolutely the minority. 99% of Android phones are cheap ones sold to billions of people around the world. Now of course those $1k+ phones are where the biggest profits are to be made so we're sold a bill of goods that we need to buy them, but the fact is there are fantastic $200-300 phones with much better performance and specs than more expensive phones. Just not in the US, because... well I don't know why.

I think you're misunderstanding me. I was pointing out the shift from desktop to mobile computing

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

The Merkinman posted:

Well if you are in Hong Kong you can buy one right now!
https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/10/06/store-hong-kong-already-selling-pixel-3-xl/

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think you're misunderstanding me. I was pointing out the shift from desktop to mobile computing

I'm not, and I don't dispute that. But I do dispute that you need a $1k phone to replace your desktop/laptop computing. A $200-300 phone can do just great there. My frustration is that Google, et. al. aren't offering anything.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CLAM DOWN posted:

Fine but recognize you're in a rapidly plummeting minority. A phone is the primary computing device for a lot of people now, and we're completely willing to pay those prices for a good one.

Fine, but if your gonna pay desktop/laptop prices for a phone, you should at least get desktop/laptop support window for that phone even if it isn't an Apple. $1000+ for a 2-3 year device life, tops, is absolutely absurd to me.

Hell, I stuck a SSD and Windows 10 on a 10-year-old Dell desktop and it still works fine for standards user usage.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Even if you want to say phones are the new laptop/desktop, the latter are supported for far more than the relatively paltry 3 years you get with a Pixel.

So it's not fair to say they should cost the same when they are being obsoleted as a much higher rate.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
This may be old news at this point, can't keep track of all the leaks.

https://www.mysmartprice.com/gear/google-pixel-slate/

Looks like a new Chrome OS tablet.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

I'm not, and I don't dispute that. But I do dispute that you need a $1k phone to replace your desktop/laptop computing. A $200-300 phone can do just great there. My frustration is that Google, et. al. aren't offering anything.

I didn't say you did need that. I, and obviously others, are perfectly willing to pay it.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Fine, but if your gonna pay desktop/laptop prices for a phone, you should at least get desktop/laptop support window for that phone even if it isn't an Apple. $1000+ for a 2-3 year device life, tops, is absolutely absurd to me.

Hell, I stuck a SSD and Windows 10 on a 10-year-old Dell desktop and it still works fine for standards user usage.

i think this is a fair point and one i didn't really think about when buying a p2xl outright. hopefully i'm not lusting after some new device in 2019 because it'd be good to get 3 years out of this phone if it holds up

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pocophone F1 is a market anomaly since it's currently only available in India. We'll see if that $300 price holds as they ramp up production and go to other markets. There are also reports that when this device is used in it's home region, India, there are ads littered throughout, so it also could very well be a subsidized situation. We'll see how this thing is when they start doing it globally.

As far as something like the Honor Note 10, I just don't find it that compelling because again, I'm not convinced corners haven't been cut.

For example, I have have a Mediapad M5 with a Kirin 960 that benches very well. But it can't run Hulu without dropping frames while my ancient Nexus 7 with a Snapdragon Pro in it can.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'm definitely willing to pay for the pixel 3 when it comes out. But if the Essential drops down on sale to as low as it was a couple months ago I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Pocophone F1 is a market anomaly since it's currently only available in India. We'll see if that $300 price holds as they ramp up production and go to other markets. There are also reports that when this device is used in it's home region, India, there are ads littered throughout, so it also could very well be a subsidized situation. We'll see how this thing is when they start doing it globally.

As far as something like the Honor Note 10, I just don't find it that compelling because again, I'm not convinced corners haven't been cut.

For example, I have have a Mediapad M5 with a Kirin 960 that benches very well. But it can't run Hulu without dropping frames while my ancient Nexus 7 with a Snapdragon Pro in it can.

Yeah but have you seen the specsheet