Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Angepain posted:

The weird eyes are literally the only thing I (and thus, because I am the center of the universe, presumably most people) know about this film. Even if they wanted to make them normal now the marketing team would force them to change it back, probably at gunpoint.

For what it's worth, I work at a retirement home, I'm basically the only extremely online person there, and like half of my coworkers are hype as gently caress for Alita. Including the middle-aged housekeepers who, I'm assuming, are not exactly anime fans.

I think this is one of those cases where internet nerds are sharply divided from the rest of the populace, meaning the movie will seemingly-inexplicably make fuckloads of money and the internet will react with a collective Tim Allen "BWUUHHHH????"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, my parents are in their early 60s and saw the Alita trailer in front of Mission Impossible Fallout. Both of them told me they really want to watch it which surprised me

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Battle Angel Alita, looked upon favorably by olds whose default reaction to any trailer ever is to lean over to the person next to them and whisper "that looks good".

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Old people do like Christoph Waltz, so this checks out.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Who the gently caress watched Entourage? It was nothing but bro-humour, bro-drama, and Hollywood in-jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0CdAKrTZ0A

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

old people have been secretly into anime the whole time.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FreudianSlippers posted:

old people have been secretly into anime the whole time.

Oh, it's okay to masturbate to her. She's actually a 9000 year old interdimensional being, even though she only looks 87.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

These middle age+ people probably have a different reference for big eyes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Keane

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Who the gently caress watched Entourage? It was nothing but bro-humour, bro-drama, and Hollywood in-jokes.

Many of us were tricked into thinking the first season was satirical based on not being able to comprehend it being played straight. See also: Girls.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Samuel Clemens posted:

Old people do like Christoph Waltz, so this checks out.

Think this is actually what sold my parents lmao.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
to be honest, I think this is a case where the internet film community is fixating on the big eyes thing super hard, whereas the general audience really doesn't give a poo poo and/or thinks the effect looks dope, and the movie otherwise looks like a massive crowdpleaser.

like, the movie's not a super hard sell aside from maybe that effect. it's a big nutty CGI blockbuster with lots of rear end-whooping. people like that. it's also got a female protagonist who isn't super sexualized, so i wouldn't be surprised if it's drawing extra attention because of that.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Teenage Fansub posted:

These middle age+ people probably have a different reference for big eyes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Keane

Christoph Waltz typecasted as that guy in movies with big eyes. Get him to voice a beholder if when they decide to do a D&D movie again.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

My wife and I watched most of it, and even saw the movie in theaters (albeit with Moviepass). It's strange, I know all the characters are complete garbage people and the show pretending Vinny was going to fail only to have him not fail in the slightest again and again got tiresome, but... I dunno. Something about that stupid fratbro wish fufillment show clicked with us.

...I think part of the reason I like Bojack Horseman so much is that it's Entourage but done correctly.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

*zot*

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Oct 7, 2018

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

feedmyleg posted:

Many of us were tricked into thinking the first season was satirical based on not being able to comprehend it being played straight. See also: Girls.

I think I got some point into season 3 before giving up. It was the same thing over and over again, kind of remarkable really. However, any reference to VIKING QUEST will still make me laugh.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

teagone posted:

Yeah, my parents are in their early 60s and saw the Alita trailer in front of Mission Impossible Fallout. Both of them told me they really want to watch it which surprised me

Seems they have better taste than their peers considering they went to M:I in the first place.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Entourage has some really good moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxODvIILFq8

Also anything with Drama.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

I think I got some point into season 3 before giving up. It was the same thing over and over again, kind of remarkable really. However, any reference to VIKING QUEST will still make me laugh.

This. I would have watched a Johnny Drama spin off, by the way.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm not saying Entourage was a good show but I did watch it all the way through and this video will always be completely accurate

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I found literally the best movie poster of all time

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The first Boggy Creek is really fuckin good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The first Boggy Creek is really fuckin good.

I just watched it for the Halloween challenge, and it blew me away.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Guy Goodbody posted:

I found literally the best movie poster of all time

I guess they got the same artist for the sequel, and The Legend Continues not to be heard of by anyone.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Wait, I thought Boggy Creek II was Return to Boggy Creek. Do the timelines split after pt 1?

e: Hmmm this movie called Legacy of Boggy Creek also claims to be a direct sequel to the original, and has the best cover of all

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I momentarily misread that text as "almost for fans of the original."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Never seen Boggy Creek but it sounds almost like the 70s equivalent of the original Blair Witch; it was an incredibly cheaply-made horror docudrama mostly filmed using non-professional actors and produced by a company that made low-budget B-movies and it turned into one of the most popular movies of 1972.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

Never seen Boggy Creek but it sounds almost like the 70s equivalent of the original Blair Witch; it was an incredibly cheaply-made horror docudrama mostly filmed using non-professional actors and produced by a company that made low-budget B-movies and it turned into one of the most popular movies of 1972.

Blair Witch was a fictional found footage movie, Boggy Creek is a documentary. It has actual interviews with people who claim to have encountered the creature and recreations of their stories.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I forgot how cheeseball Hell House LLC was.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I guess they got the same artist for the sequel, and The Legend Continues not to be heard of by anyone.

I would imagine more people would have heard of this one, seeing as it was the basis for an episode of MST3K.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

I would imagine more people would have heard of this one, seeing as it was the basis for an episode of MST3K.

It’s a really good MST3K episode too tbh

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

to be honest, I think this is a case where the internet film community is fixating on the big eyes thing super hard, whereas the general audience really doesn't give a poo poo and/or thinks the effect looks dope, and the movie otherwise looks like a massive crowdpleaser.

like, the movie's not a super hard sell aside from maybe that effect. it's a big nutty CGI blockbuster with lots of rear end-whooping. people like that. it's also got a female protagonist who isn't super sexualized, so i wouldn't be surprised if it's drawing extra attention because of that.

general internet reaction i've seen (admittedly anecdotal) doesn't reflect any of that, nor do Fox's repeated delays

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Keep in mind we live in a world where a horrible buzz + 30% rotten(tomato) Venom broke October opening weekend box office history.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dillbag posted:

Keep in mind we live in a world where a horrible buzz + 30% rotten(tomato) Venom broke October opening weekend box office history.

highest grossing October weekend release is a lameass record

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

highest grossing October weekend release is a lameass record

The last one holding that record was the awards-devouring Gravity.

Venom though is destined to do well given how popular the character still is. Alita probably won't have that luxury. Moving it to February gets it the hell away from being trampled by Aquaman and Bumblebee.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 9, 2018

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Waffleman_ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXMUwbxRHMA&t=341s

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Dillbag posted:

It's good

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Venom also does not have "horrible buzz" everywhere. Most people respond positively to the trailers and clips.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 9, 2018

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Dillbag posted:

If one didn't know any better, you might think that the closer you are to pockets of culture that talk a lot about movies, the farther you are from how the vast majority of people actually relate to them.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Origami Dali posted:

Wait, I thought Boggy Creek II was Return to Boggy Creek. Do the timelines split after pt 1?

e: Hmmm this movie called Legacy of Boggy Creek also claims to be a direct sequel to the original, and has the best cover of all

"Good news, everybody. We got him. We got the guy who airbrushes boogie boards at Ron Jon Surf Shop to design our poster."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010