Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it's a meme parody

i know, i've had a tumblr account since at least 2011

it's just that, like... the meme was "the duck is racist," and, well...

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Oh, I thought you were talking about the Twitter account. You never know sometimes.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

question for you history nerds: did any churches ever get involved in laws regarding bread fraud? i just learned that this is a thing and there have been laws about it for 2000+ years

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Lutha Mahtin posted:

question for you history nerds: did any churches ever get involved in laws regarding bread fraud? i just learned that this is a thing and there have been laws about it for 2000+ years

I believe so. As I recall in pre-reformation England the assize of bread and ale (the duty to enforce bread and beer quality, and the right to take fines when the quality was unacceptable) was one of the rights monasteries had over their tenants.

Edit: and the laws are a lot older that 2000 years. Fixing the price of grain in silver is pretty much the first law.

Mr Enderby fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 5, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Bread Law (and its cousin, Beer Law) is the foundation of civilization

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Lutha Mahtin posted:

HEY GUNS posted:

Bread Law (and its cousin, Beer Law) is the foundation of civilization

What about Beard Law

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it's a little weird that all of the Abrahamic religions are opinionated about beards

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Pellisworth posted:

What about Beard Law

Until my hair loss I had a long beard and long hair I wore in a ponytail. One class my Early Christianity professor said, “Honestly, the Schism was over ultimately unimportant things, well, maybe not unimportant to Thirteen Orphans, part of it was over having long hair and beards.”

That religious sister called me out!

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
God provides for His children and it blows me away seeing how much He does for me every day since I've become a Christian.

I am still stuck on finding a church. I did not like the East Orthodox church I attended, not much Jesus talk and lots of incense and rituals, and almost no one talked to me despite being new. Tried a Baptist church last week and everyone was super friendly. I don't know their beliefs but will go back today.

Can anyone summarize the differences between the different Protestant churches? I am clueless but see the important of joining the Body of Christ now. Looking for a more conservative church to be honest.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alpha Mayo posted:

God provides for His children and it blows me away seeing how much He does for me every day since I've become a Christian.

I am still stuck on finding a church. I did not like the East Orthodox church I attended, not much Jesus talk and lots of incense and rituals, and almost no one talked to me despite being new. Tried a Baptist church last week and everyone was super friendly. I don't know their beliefs but will go back today.

Can anyone summarize the differences between the different Protestant churches? I am clueless but see the important of joining the Body of Christ now. Looking for a more conservative church to be honest.

Baptists, at heart, come down to this simple approach to belief: it is between you and God, that the most important thing is your personal and individual relationship with God. Baptists tend to disregard virtually all tradition and liturgy to a greater or lesser degree, taking the view that it's nice if that personally means something to you but has no meaning in and of itself. The only sacraments Baptists usually perform are the Lord's Supper and believer's baptism, though even then we understand them as symbolic gestures of obedience and commitment, the phrase I grew up hearing a lot is "an outward expression of an inward decision."

Beyond that, Baptists can vary enormously because of that deeply individualistic approach to belief and theology. There are conservative Baptist churches, liberal Baptist churches, neo-Nazi Baptist churches, exclusively LGBT Baptist churches, black Baptist churches, and anything and everything in between. Check your church's website and talk to people there to find out what the mood is at this particular church. Any church that's part of the Southern Baptist Convention is very likely to be on the conservative end.

I'm Southern Baptist by background and core beliefs, but I no longer consider myself a part of the denomination because of the SBC's politics - I'm far too liberal for them, even if I maintain the core Baptist theology.

Still, you can go to ten different Baptist churches and get ten very different services and particular details of how they believe. Baptists like me consider this a feature, not a bug.

https://i.imgur.com/dA4idZR.mp4

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Oct 7, 2018

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
<skips about 300 posts>

So today is the one year anniversary(2) after my Grandpa's death, so we had to go to mass. The reading was ordinary 27th week, the homily was poo poo (since our hearts are cold, we abortions since kids would get in the way of a couple looking for a house or a single woman looking for career, an since old people are burden, we talk about euthanasia), yadda, yadda.

But [url=
https://biblia.com/bible/esv/Psalm%20128.1-6]Psalm 128:1-6[/url] mentions Israel, so our solemn memorial dinner was a platform for comments about how the Lithuanian church is pressured to praise Israel, that Lithuania is designated as the second Israel in case the original gets shwacked, about prophecies of geological upheaval that would bring Lithuania next to Black Sea and how Lithuanians would become the Chosen People instead of Jews.

Nationalism is quite the trip, Jesus Christ.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Alpha Mayo posted:

I can’t do a great job summarizing all the denoms, because there are so many. Because you seem to be looking to hear more about Jesus specifically, and are looking for something more conservative, I’d check out a PCA church: http://www.pcaac.org/church-search/

I’m a member of the Presbyterian Church of (in?) America. They are more conservative than my own beliefs, but I’ve been to two in two states. Both welcomed me during difficult times in my life. Current pastors check in on me and my wife throughout the week. Ours is very much concerned with racial reconciliation and being good for our city. We’ve got great resources for kids and parents affected by disability. I recommend PCA, b/c despite my scruples, the two I’ve been to seem to be behaving as one should: pursuing peace, giving the weak a place to belong, not being politically motivated, etc. PCA churches also emphasize community, so there’s groups usually.

We’ve do liturgy, very much Christo-centric in sermons, etc. Feel free to PM me your state. If you’re near me, you’re welcome to come check it out, hang around, go to lunch, etc. I bet my pastor could even send a heads up to a church near you if you end up wanting to visit (if you want).

I’ll be praying for your journey. Finding a church is difficult.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Alpha Mayo posted:

I did not like the East Orthodox church I attended, not much Jesus talk and lots of incense and rituals

If you're still interested in the Orthodox Church, I suggest you give the liturgy a read, most of what is sung is about christ, even the parts about Mary are carefully worded to reflect the nature of Christ. You got us on the insence and rituals though... There is a lot of that (but the more you learn you realize that the insence and rituals all have theological significance)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
If there's anything in particular you didn't like you could bring it up and the Orthodox itt could discuss it with you and try to convert you :getin:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

Lithuania is designated as the second Israel in case the original gets shwacked, about prophecies of geological upheaval that would bring Lithuania next to Black Sea and how Lithuanians would become the Chosen People instead of Jews.
this rules

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'm now hearing that Vatican is backing gay parades and the EU, and it's also preparing a new place for Israel.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

I'm now hearing that Vatican is backing gay parades and the EU, and it's also preparing a new place for Israel.

are you live posting the worst memorial service ever

JcDent
May 13, 2013

According to quantic vibrations of the sound produced when saying "amen," you're actually saying "Satan."

My aunt is was very negatively impacted by Matrix and it has gone downhill from there.

...you dream because your brain is the most active an hour before sunrise, thus accessing the noosphere (that "idea" field that has all of humanity's inventions, only waiting to be accessed), while the shamans can do it purposefully.

Meanwhile, all the priests are bad and huxters.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

HEY GUNS posted:

are you live posting the worst memorial service ever

The first part was live from memorial dinner.

Now, we're taking my aunt home and there's an hour of insane chatter left. I'm staying quiet.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Just got out of a Catholic church with a stained glass window of saint Florence nightingale

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JcDent posted:

The first part was live from memorial dinner.

Now, we're taking my aunt home and there's an hour of insane chatter left. I'm staying quiet.

StashAugustine posted:

Just got out of a Catholic church with a stained glass window of saint Florence nightingale

thank u 4 ur service

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Now it's just antisemitism. Jews rule everything. German Jews are welfare queens that are lazy and live off payments for the Holocaust. Also, the orthodontic societies are run by Jeeews.

Before that, water was like memory foam that can remember incantations and DNA. And Kabalah was about magically roping in money.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

On happier but still funny memorial service chat my grandma had a very Irish American friend who had them play Four Green Fields at his funeral mass

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

StashAugustine posted:

Her father was CoE and her mother was a Unitarian, and she was a fairly univeralist CoE.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

JcDent posted:

Now it's just antisemitism. Jews rule everything. German Jews are welfare queens that are lazy and live off payments for the Holocaust. Also, the orthodontic societies are run by Jeeews.

Before that, water was like memory foam that can remember incantations and DNA. And Kabalah was about magically roping in money.

Is there a conspiracy theory your aunt doesn't believe in? :psyduck:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Only those she hasn't heard of.

But guys, have you heard of the Crusades?! that was some bad stuff, church is bullshit

Like, my girlfriend likes my family because it gets together and doesn't fight as much as hers, since mine ia more middle class I guess, but they have some views when it comes to anything approaching global issues.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Alpha Mayo posted:

i'm not eloquent, but i will say this: the decision to become orthodox was one of the best i ever made and only now am i fully feeling gratitude that i was lucky enough to do it. i grew up catholic and ever since...i dunno, mid-college...there was a nagging feeling at the back of my mind like something was wrong whenever i went to church. now that i'm orthodox there isn't. i converted reluctantly, i just couldn't believe any more, and now i'm so into it i feel like i'm becoming one of those annoying converts in internet memes.

i'm sorry people weren't welcoming when you went. it varies from parish to parish unfortunately. i've been going to a church around the corner from where i've been staying and people were sort of closed off, i'm not sure how much english everyone spoke--so this week i took an hour on public transportation to go to a different church and it was super worth it.

whatever you choose to do i hope your life is full of good things.

edit: feel free to stick around and :justpost: whether you convert or not, it's mostly silly hats and bullshitting about random stuff

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 7, 2018

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

HEY GUNS posted:

i converted reluctantly, i just couldn't believe any more, and now i'm so into it i feel like i'm becoming one of those annoying converts in internet memes.

I don't think you're annoying here, anyway, I think the joy you take in finding the right church for you is beautiful

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

HopperUK posted:

I don't think you're annoying here, anyway, I think the joy you take in finding the right church for you is beautiful

i'm gonna change my name to tikhon, grow out my hair, and call everyone heretics on facebook

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
speaking of converts, today i learned about this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Ludwell_III

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Epicurius posted:

Her father was CoE and her mother was a Unitarian, and she was a fairly univeralist CoE.

Florence Nightingale is on the ELCA calendar of "saints and other random people we think are cool" (not the actual name). So is MLK.

There is an Episcopal cathedral in Minneapolis that has some wild stained glass. One of them has a "creative gifts" window that has depictions of like a pen and paper, a movie camera, and a computer. Another is some kind of "peacemaker" window that includes Gandhi, MLK, and Ronald Reagan.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 7, 2018

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Our little Episcopal Church has a window of an astronaut and his capsule. :)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GUNS posted:

and now i'm so into it i feel like i'm becoming one of those annoying converts in internet memes.

:hf:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

JcDent posted:

prophecies of geological upheaval that would bring Lithuania next to Black Sea

you know, you wouldn't need geological upheaval for that if the Commonwealth were still a thing

just saying

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Went to a cool Greek festival hosted by an Orthodox church in my city some weeks ago and it made me want to understand Orthodox thought, history, etc. a bit better than I already do. What are some good books to get into? Background is the likely biased bits of history I got in Catholic school and odds and ends from this thread so anything goes.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Bonus points if there are art/coffee table books of sick icons

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Sleng Teng posted:

Bonus points if there are art/coffee table books of sick icons
this dude's blog is sick as hell
https://russianicons.wordpress.com/

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Alpha Mayo posted:

There really isn't that much difference in beliefs between Protestant groups, it's mostly fairly minor theological stuff. The more significant differences are in organization of the church body (how is the church governed?), doctrines (do they ordain female priests or perform gay marriages etc), and liturgy (what does their worship service look like).

It would be helpful if you'd be willing to answer a few questions so we can give you better advice:

1) How did you come to Christ? Were there any particular resources, people, or groups that led to your conversion?
2) How much do you care about ritual? Are you cool with priests in blingin' outfits, chanting, and incense or do you prefer something on the more Evangelical side where it's very stripped down with a guy in jeans and a t-shirt playing guitar?
3) When you say "conservative" I assume you mean in the US political context? In the US there's kind of two main hot-button doctrinal issues: ordaining female priests and gay marriage. There are others like ecumenism and open/closed communion of course.
4) What region are you in? Some church groups are pretty regional, for example you won't find many WELS or LCMS churches outside of the broader Midwest and there are fewer Southern Baptist groups outside of the South.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pellisworth posted:

you won't find many WELS or LCMS churches outside of the broader Midwest

I briefly attended a WELS church in southwest Florida about five years ago. :v: