Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Node posted:

It's one of the best endings to a game ever done that I know of. It's insane how much a labor of love Witcher 3 was.

literally the only thing that coulda made it better was making the "10 years thank you to the fans" trailer an actual scene. other than that it entirely rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sorry, Witcher 3 is great and all and it's my favourite, but it does not come close to the breadth of gameplay that Skyrim has.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Node posted:

It's one of the best endings to a game ever done that I know of. It's insane how much a labor of love Witcher 3 was.

I never played the first two because they're PC only but will have to watch walkthroughs of them eventually. I did all the story stuff in Witcher 3 blind and loved the weight many of your choices have. I only ventured onto YouTube for a gwent walkthrough early on because I didn't want to risk spoilers. There were definitely a few quests where I hosed up and had to live with it, but I got what were apparently the "best" endings for everything in terms of the main storyline.

I like that you have the option to play Geralt as totally cold, selfish, and mercenary or chivalrous and selfless, with a few shades in between. Someday I might watch videos of all the stuff I missed or alternate endings, but for now I don't want to dilute the experience I had. The entire playthrough took me just under 200 hours, and that was with me doing every quest, contract, treasure hunt, undiscovered location, etc. Someday I may play it again, but not for a few years at least.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Alchenar posted:

Sorry, Witcher 3 is great and all and it's my favourite, but it does not come close to the breadth of gameplay that Skyrim has.

^

https://youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=g-egGn5WYrk&t=7

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 223 days!
I'm probably biased by anecdotes from casual-gamer friends, but the key element that both Skyrim and W3 have that W2 lacks is an open world.

(Or so I hear; I played the first game on release, and of course the third, but never the second).

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Alchenar posted:

A million different shades of 'bad'?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm probably biased by anecdotes from casual-gamer friends, but the key element that both Skyrim and W3 have that W2 lacks is an open world.

(Or so I hear; I played the first game on release, and of course the third, but never the second).

I mean, open worlds necessarily being better than the alternative is sort of a toxic ongoing bullshit mindset in gaming. It's open enough in the areas it presents to make you not care. Sure, Witcher 3 tells a great story in an open world, but it also has its limits specifically because of that open world, and in several ways it suffers from those limitations since it could have done more if it wasn't limited by having to retain that open world vibe.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Fuzz posted:

I mean, open worlds necessarily being better than the alternative is sort of a toxic ongoing bullshit mindset in gaming. It's open enough in the areas it presents to make you not care.

I think this misses the point a bit. Of course games that don't have open worlds can be great games. But sometimes I want an open world, and when I do I'm likely to play Skyrim, because it does that really well. It's like having a holiday roaming the moors in a strange country. Not every game has to offer that, but it is still an attraction that W2 doesn't offer to the same extent.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Oh dear me posted:

I think this misses the point a bit. Of course games that don't have open worlds can be great games. But sometimes I want an open world, and when I do I'm likely to play Skyrim, because it does that really well. It's like having a holiday roaming the moors in a strange country. Not every game has to offer that, but it is still an attraction that W2 doesn't offer to the same extent.

Yeah but the point I was replying to was the criticism of W2 not being quite as good. W2 is an excellent game, and the real reason W3 exists. W1 was good and all, but it didn't magically spark a ton of interest in the franchise... it got a bunch of RPG people interested, that's kinda it. Then W2 came along with its fast paced combat, crazily detailed story with branching paths, and lots of tangible repercussions to your choices (moreso than W1) and it blew up. W2 actually did have a console release, it was that popular.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I never played the first two because they're PC only but will have to watch walkthroughs of them eventually.

Witcher 2 is on consoles.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Parallelwoody posted:

Only on the 360 to be precise.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Alchenar posted:

The "breadth of gameplay" in Skyrim is to me exemplified by this one quest - you get tasked by the Deidric lord of violence to kill some priest of a rival deity. Being a hero Dragonborn, the last hope of all people and all, you'd expect to be able to work against the quest giver, one of the most evil beings in existence. You'd expect to have a dialogue option to warn the priest you are meant to kill, and maybe perform some banishing ritual or something. But no, your only option is to trick the innocent priest into an eternity of torture in the hands of the literal devil. Then you get your reward, some stupid weapon you sell for pocket change five minutes later. And then you are supposed to never think about this whole experience again.

And pretty much every quest is like that.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Parallelwoody posted:

Ah, didn't know it was on the 360 but I don't own one anyway.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Fallout 4 sucked but on the other hand a guy who literally helped produce one of my top three games I've played -- a person who may have strong sense of how much craft goes into making these things, and is reluctant to see that dismissed -- said don't talk poo poo. OK, that's an argument from authority I'm willing to take.

Fallout 4 sucks and Bethesda can't write dialogue to save its life, but I accept that millions of people enjoy their work.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

The "breadth of gameplay" in Skyrim is to me exemplified by this one quest - you get tasked by the Deidric lord of violence to kill some priest of a rival deity. Being a hero Dragonborn, the last hope of all people and all, you'd expect to be able to work against the quest giver, one of the most evil beings in existence. You'd expect to have a dialogue option to warn the priest you are meant to kill, and maybe perform some banishing ritual or something. But no, your only option is to trick the innocent priest into an eternity of torture in the hands of the literal devil. Then you get your reward, some stupid weapon you sell for pocket change five minutes later. And then you are supposed to never think about this whole experience again.

And pretty much every quest is like that.

They could have had more reactivity, sure, but, like, it's a minor side-quest. You can just decide to not do the evil thing you're asked to do instead of going "well it's in my quest log so it's time to go torture someone". Like with most adventures involving eldritch poo poo, the smartest move is just not to play. (Also, it seems like you can kill the guy you're asked to bring, who's a priest of a different super-evil diety, and end your quest right there by thumbing your nose at both of them.)

But it's one of the weaker scripted quests, yes.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 7, 2018

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That's writing, not gameplay.

In Skyrim you can play as an assassin, a sword-and-board fighter, an archer, one of a bunch of mage variants, or any combination of the above. You have enormous freedom to approach any combat encounter or dungeon in any way you want.

In The Witcher you are always Gerald, a guy who hits things with his sword and makes fire shoot out of his hands, sometimes after having drunk something. I've always thought it perfectly good, but varied it is not even with the skill trees/mutagens.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes, Skyrim has a great variety of approaches to build a stealth archer.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

So i figured out its the colored map markers thing breaking fast travel.

On the topic of mods, is there a loving tutorial that actually explains how I'm supposed to use the script merger tool? None of them actually explain how the entire manual merging process actually works for someone who has no idea how coding works. I'm feeling real stupid here cause literally everything is just "sometimes you have to manually merge them so just do that" and every time i use the thing it just endlessly repeats the same conflict until I just close it without saving and trust the mod order solves the problem. For example every time I try and do things like "pick b for all unsolved conflicts" i do that, click merge, and then it just repeatedly shows the same conflict forever.

Like I feel I am so close to having everything just work, with only this error showing up

Error [mod0000_mergedfiles]game\components\inventorycomponent.ws(4817): Found unexpected '}'
Error [mod0000_mergedfiles]game\components\inventorycomponent.ws(5919): Found unexpected '}'

But I am utterly clueless as to how to finally just make this go away so the game can actually start.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 7, 2018

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Every time I've ever come across that problem I've just decided which mod I cared less about and deleted it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fuzz posted:

I mean, open worlds necessarily being better than the alternative is sort of a toxic ongoing bullshit mindset in gaming. It's open enough in the areas it presents to make you not care. Sure, Witcher 3 tells a great story in an open world, but it also has its limits specifically because of that open world, and in several ways it suffers from those limitations since it could have done more if it wasn't limited by having to retain that open world vibe.

In particular, the issue that the open world setting brings up for Witcher 3 is that the sense of scale clashes a bit with the confines of the story. The Witcher games are probably second only to Assassin's Creed or GTA for accurately depicting cities and their surrounding areas in 1:1 scale. The whole Novigrad/Velen region is gargantuan but because it's only covering the immediate mouth of the Pontar river delta it means that the whole map is pretty samey. There's no shift from flowing grasslands to jagged tundras the way Skyrim does, where geographical authenticity is less important than making a cool game world.

Then you get the same problem in reverse for Skellige where you get the entire archipelago, but it is hilariously tiny when you consider how the rest of the game treats scale. Touissant also has a bit of this but it's only a small duchy so it is easier to overlook.

Witcher 1 and 2 overcome this by splitting up their chapters and see ting their plots in highly specific areas that are visually distinct and to proper scale. Flotsam is a big map but it is only a small village on the edge of a giant primordial forest. And you need to travel by boat to get to the next region which is days away. It cuts out the busywork of traveling across samey environments for twenty minutes to get back to your contract giver. Velen is pretty but it is also just rocks and trees and trees and rocks an water.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Accordion Man posted:

Only on the 360 to be precise.

It's also backwards compatible with the XBOX One cause that how I played it when it was a free download.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I fixed my mod problems by giving up, undoing all the mergers and just starting the game and it worked

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I fixed my problems by giving up and it worked

That's also my usual tactic

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Alchenar posted:

I’ve beaten this game 4 times, doing everything I could find twice. I’m doing a hardest difficulty ng+ run to finish up my achievements because I want to play through the game again. I’ve already found a quest and 2 events I never even knew existed, and I just started Novigrad.

Alchenar posted:

That's writing, not gameplay. :words:

I find it hard to really care about wildly different play styles in a game like this. In a game like Diablo, sure. But when the game is mostly about the story and interaction and such it’s hard to go through the game just for a different combat style.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 8, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You can even play as an archer in Witcher 3 if you get the right skills for the crossbow.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ugato posted:

I find it hard to really care about wildly different play styles in a game like this. In a game like Diablo, sure. But when the game is mostly about the story and interaction and such it’s hard to go through the game just for a different combat style.

Well yeah. I prefer W3 and would buy it over Skyrim. But if you are going to compare the two games on a critical level then you need to recognise that Skyrim chooses to be about freedom and W3 chooses to be about narrative depth and it's weird to claim that one is better than the other without caveating about which element you care about more.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Arcsquad12 posted:

You can even play as an archer in Witcher 3 if you get the right skills for the crossbow.

Really? Does it ever do non trivial damage to land creatures?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Arcsquad12 posted:

I feel like your really stretching the definition of ‘can play’ here.

TenaciousD
Feb 4, 2017
Witcher 2 is one of my top 5 favorite games. Although some criticisms I've seen here is valid, some are also crazy.

What amazes me is that fact that the game exists at all. I don't think most people know how miserable its development was. CDPR got handed a triple whammy of the financial crash, Rise of the White Wolf remaster being an absolute disaster and the two Witcher 1 expansions being cancelled. The studio almost got shut down for good. It's amazing they were able to turn it around, now they're in the best position they've ever had.

The amount of cut content in the TW2 files is crazy. The majority of story criticisms are due to that I believe. Gameplay too. I remember Tomasz Gop being asked in an interview, why the toxicity system does nothing, and his response was something like: "Because we never finished it". Most of Act 3 and Dol Blathanna got cut around the time they switched from Aurora to REDKit, but Francesca's WIP model and other Dol models like tents and windmills are still in the game files.

Most of the major story events in The Witcher 2 are the result of last minute rewrites forced upon the team due to budget constraints. Yennefer wasn't there personally, but she was a big theme. Letho, originally Riszon, had a completely different and more involved backstory. He was from Cintra. There's really interesting dialogue between him and Geralt asking how a Cintran can work for the Empire. He killed Demavend for revenge because he caused the downfall of the Viper school, which was originally in Aedirn. This is partly still in the game, but comes up once when he gives that motivation to Iorveth and Sile, then never again. Demavend was also originally decapitated by Letho in his palace when he was taking a poo poo. A bit too on the nose for me.

If you needed more dislike to hate Stennis, he was going to sell Lormark for 1 million orens to Henselt. Letho also know that Saskia was a dragon, and had dialogue about that. There was a flash back to Thanedd when you met Sile for the first time. All the design is in the game files, it sounded fantastic. On route to Loc Muinne your ship would have crashed, ship wrecking Geralt on a small island. You have learned more about the Hunt there from some alchemist. There was a dragon in this questline. The Grim Reaper too. It sounded really complicated and ambitious.

The Wild Hunt had a massive presence in the game. There are chunks of dialogue regarding quests about them. They would have hounded Geralt throughout the game. They were in the haunted Hospital in Flotsam. There was dialogue with Roche about it. There was a sidequest with Geralt getting notes and a ballad about them, how they traveled between realms, which Dandelion had a role in. I find it funny the Hunt got axed in both 2 and 3. They reused that idea and tweaked it, the Hunt harassing Geralt in his dreams but it also got cut in TW3. Those elves can't catch a break.

The Secrets of Loc Muinne quest with Cinthia and the plague notes was also going to tie into the Ebbing questline in TW3. Similarly, the stuff with Anias was going to tie into the Baroness and Voorhis plotline in TW3. It's why they added both back to the EE. The dialogue had already been recorded, but they lacked the money to implement before release.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Alchenar posted:

Well yeah. I prefer W3 and would buy it over Skyrim. But if you are going to compare the two games on a critical level then you need to recognise that Skyrim chooses to be about freedom and W3 chooses to be about narrative depth and it's weird to claim that one is better than the other without caveating about which element you care about more.

On a critical level I recognize that the freedom of Skyrim amounts of nothing and there in no experience more boring than aimlessly roaming through the lifeless world of an Elder Scrolls game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TenaciousD posted:

The amount of cut content in the TW2 files is crazy.
Shame they'll never do an extended edition.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Alchenar posted:

I agree with the sentiment but words like freedom and breadth don’t only relate to combat play styles for me or, I imagine, most people. I’d say the biggest difference in ability is the amount of spells in Skyrim.

It’s kind of apples and oranges though because Skyrim is very much in the vein of the old TES games and something like EQ1 where it’s more button spam. Witcher is more like an action game which gives the combat more freshness and variety even if you’re only using a sword. Hell two of the Skyrim archetypes are more about “how do I not worry about combat any more” (archer and assassin) than anything else. But, ultimately, I would say Witcher’s skills change how you approach fights pretty significantly. Potions, bombs, alt casts of spells and activated special attacks are quite a bit of variety.

Skyrim is more open-ended in terms of it not really leading you anywhere in the game other than the major highlights, which is why it’s an excellent setting for a modder’s playground. I don’t know if that should count for or against it but Skyrim is also much more of a “if you’re not modding this you’re doing it wrong” game than Witcher 3.

I guess mostly I would call Skyrim the sandbox and Witcher 3 the story in world form. So I suppose freedom may be the right word for Skyrim, but breadth... they’re probably equivalent, just in different ways.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I'm finally getting around to playing this game, now that I upgraded my computer a bunch. It's kinda funny how much better optimized this game is than Assassin's Creed Odyssey; with my 1070ti I get 60-70 FPS in Witcher 3 in ultrawide 1440p with almost all settings maxed (except hairworks, which is off), but only like 40-50 in Odyssey, despite the latter not even looking as pretty (IMO). It's also super great in ultra widescreen (when I upgraded my PC I also got this extremely bourgeois monitor). Everything is just so pretty and smooth, especially with certain weather effects (recently it was really windy while the sun was setting after a thunder-storm, and it was gorgeous).

My only gripe about this game is that there are too many items. I don't have much in-game money right now, but I have a zillion items I could sell (but don't because I'm afraid I'll need them, or their deconstructed components, for crafting). I haven't found this herbalist yet, so maybe I can sell a bunch of herbs to them (since this game thankfully changed alchemy from Witcher 2's system, so I don't need as many herbs anymore).

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

Ytlaya posted:

So I'm finally getting around to playing this game, now that I upgraded my computer a bunch. It's kinda funny how much better optimized this game is than Assassin's Creed Odyssey; with my 1070ti I get 60-70 FPS in Witcher 3 in ultrawide 1440p with almost all settings maxed (except hairworks, which is off), but only like 40-50 in Odyssey, despite the latter not even looking as pretty (IMO). It's also super great in ultra widescreen (when I upgraded my PC I also got this extremely bourgeois monitor). Everything is just so pretty and smooth, especially with certain weather effects (recently it was really windy while the sun was setting after a thunder-storm, and it was gorgeous).

My only gripe about this game is that there are too many items. I don't have much in-game money right now, but I have a zillion items I could sell (but don't because I'm afraid I'll need them, or their deconstructed components, for crafting). I haven't found this herbalist yet, so maybe I can sell a bunch of herbs to them (since this game thankfully changed alchemy from Witcher 2's system, so I don't need as many herbs anymore).

Save your herbs, they don’t weigh anything, until you’re out of recipes. You’ll never know when you need one more drowned brain or some bullshit. Loot and sell all the armor/weapons you find.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Crafting really only becomes an issue in the DLC, until then everything is pretty easy to build. Just hoard anything that is involved in the making of slyzard skins and dimetrium ingots if you wanna save money and get the most out of crafting in the long term.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lucas Archer posted:

Loot and sell all the armor/weapons you find.

Are you including non-grey ones here, because the grey ones I've found all sell for too little to really help much.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's no point in keeping any armor that you aren't going to be using.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Ytlaya posted:

Are you including non-grey ones here, because the grey ones I've found all sell for too little to really help much.

They’ll become worth more as you progress since everything you find scales to your level. Also try to sell to an appropriate merchant - armourers generally give you a bit more gold for armour, blacksmiths for weapons.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Ytlaya posted:

Loot all weapons and armour imo. You can carry loads even without cheats, and every little bit of cash helps a lot in the early game. Make sure you sell the the appropriate kind of vendor, too, as this can be a not-insignificant boost. By mid-game, those crappy grey maces will be selling for hundreds, which is handy because crafting gets very expensive. If you stick to just one set of Witcher armour you'll end up with more money than you will ever need, but if you like to craft all the different sets to put on display in your sweet house then you're going to need a LOT of cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Get Zerrikanian saddlebags as soon as you can. I believe the smuggler’s cache in the water out in front of Novigrad has one. I know the vendor in Putrid Grove has one. They’re the biggest saddlebags outside of DLC stuff and you’ll be very glad to have much more room for carrying junk.

As a general rule after that, though, prioritize weapons over armor. Even with yellow armor versus gray weapons, the weapons can come out ahead in terms of crown per weight efficiency. Do your best to keep - for selling - any relic (orangey) equipment, whatever slot it is. Once you get to the early teens you should be able to go from Witcher item to Witcher item. Green gear is your friend and outside of a few specific items, you’re unlikely to use anything else once you get there.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 8, 2018