Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Well, that sounds super normal though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Screaming Idiot posted:

Thank you for the information, and the Lindsay Ellis links. I would have replied earlier, but I binged some of her videos while I was blasting through MM11. I may be wrong, but my takeaway from is pretty much the same I felt before: some appropriation, like cultures mixing, is great, but don't misrepresent them and don't treat them as cutesy costumes and don't reduce them to simple stereotypes.

Also, anybody who says "I'M 1/16TH CHEROKEE DON'THCAKNOW" needs to be punched in the throat.

Pretty much. The entire issue comes down to context and nuance and being willing to listen to people, which most folks never want to do.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

“READY TO BE A DAD”
an essay by Lucas Werner

I want to be a dad. I want to have children and be married. I didn’t want to be a father and a husband until 2 years ago when I was 36. Some say it’s a little late in life to consider starting a family. The science says the exact opposite. When a father my age has children it extends the telomeres of those offspring, giving those kids stronger DNA. This is confirmed by several dozen medical journal articles sponsored by the U.S. government. Not only am I a viable candidate for fatherhood from longer chromosome tips call telomeres in my reproductive cells, older fathers are statistically more caring. I am both biologically and psychologically well prepared to have children, perhaps more than when I was younger by the empirical findings. Science makes me want to become a father at the age that I am now. The science says I am in my prime to sire young, I am psychologically more prepared at this age to have kids and I feel a very overlooked medical condition is loneliness, so starting a family would ease my heartbroken sense of not having a place in this world like many other couples who are proud to have a family of their own through biology, psychology and experience.

The science has been saying that I am at the prime of my life to start having children. I’m 38 years old. The research fascinates me. From what I had read for each year from 35 to 55 years old 17 base pairs are added to the ends of the offspring’s DNA. That means when I turn 39 this year and were to have children before 40, I would add 68 base pairs of DNA to my children’s DNA. Knowing that I would transfer great health, happiness, empathy, disease resistance and longevity into the world means that my child could end up doing great things to help humanity just by existing in it. Scientists have located the sector of empathy in the brain. It is within the right supramarginal gyrus of the cerebral cortex at the conjunction of the parietal, temporal and frontal lobes from whence compassion for others arises. Longer telomeres, the caps of the chromosome arms that are delivered from older fathers would, in fact, elongate in my offspring causing all parts of the body to function better, including the brain. There is a lot of myth surrounding older fathers about autism and mental illness that do not make sense. Older fathers yield 6 children out of 10,000 with autism. The national average is 1 out of 59 children with autism. Both autism and mental illness stem from shorter telomeres, which conduces that should I become a father, my children will have less chance of a brain disorder. Not only are 14 diseases on the rise in the United States, but older fathers have not been popular since before 1912. We then see from the evidence that biologically speaking I would be wise to become a dad at this age.

I want to become a father at a gut personal level because I have a love of kids. I have read several studiers again that older fathers are more attentive and patient with their kids. Beetle fathers are a fine animal example that have been studied and it would be superfluous to conclude that my advancing age would be anything other than psychologically beneficial to my children. With age comes maturity. I certainly see more maturity in myself as I get older, along with a deeper understanding as I near middle age of how the world works and how the world could settle to improve. I think that impetus from cellular degradation in all parts of my body except my reproductive cells turns a person into a fine to quaff liquor through a certain kind of fermentation when the reproductive gametes add a vibrancy that comes from an analogous conversion of the genetic transferase from a raw milk into a fine cheese through new life as in a mold on Roquefort. There’s something about children now that I did not see before. They have an innocence and an honesty that I respect. I see children as anarcho-scientists. They’re free to be open minded and they constantly question everything. Sometimes that brings me to tears. I adore younger people for a great many reasons; their tenacity, their strength, their struggles. I think having kids would bring me in closer connection with 2 generations. My wife would have to be either a Millennial if older than 23 in 2018 or Generation Z herself and our children would be part of the tentatively titled Generation Alpha. Generation X has longer telomeres in the sperm cells while adult Generation Z has longer telomeres in the egg cells, putting younger women in symmetry with middle aged men. I think it’s important to bridge gaps and becoming an older father would bond different generations. Psychologically speaking, having children at this age would benefit them and myself greatly.

I always was a lonely kid, but the past 6 years have been the worst, so I think having children and a wife will bring me further away from isolation from the human experience of family. I’ve been alone and single for 6 years. I see young couples with kids eveywhere. They’re adorable. My sense of jealousy drives me. 18 to 24 year old women have the highest meiotic spindle appearance in their oocytes, the cells that develop into ova within the uterine lining prior to pregnancy. That means 18 to 24 year old women are the healthiest for giving birth to children that are twice as likely to live ro 100 from stronger DNA. The long life is attributed to longer telomeres in the reproductive cells of young women. I feel knowledge is power because from my experience on OK Cupid, Plenty of Fish, Tinder and Bumble 18 to 24 year old women don’t want to date 35 to 55 year old men, which only increases my sense of dread. I lost my virginity at 27 to a woman my age that I had met on Plenty of Fish. 4 of my girlfriends were older than me and 4 were the same age. I’ve had 8 girlfriends. I think this is an ageist dilemma. I’m doing everything I can to change my life for the better. I’m now in college with the intent of becoming a doctor. I’m attending all my classes. I’m buying board games. I’m showing people respect. I don’t want to be lonely anymore. I’m sick of the greif. I lead an existence that is lacking in experience, yet full and rich as if to say, “Take me. I’m yours.”

I have 3 solid reasons for wanting to experience fatherhood. Science states that my age puts me at a prime nature to have children, I’m psychologically prepared to have children and I feel starting a family will ease my tortured loneliness. It is important to note that race horses are bred stud to philly. Studs are horses after they’ve run their races, while phillies are young female horses. Silverback gorillas are middle aged like me. The silverback has 30 wife gorillas whom he protects and is protected by the females from coups from the young male gorillas. We see in seeding plants that the male gametes implant in the ground in the fall while the female gametes, pollen, are spread by pollinator animals like birds and bees in the spring. We look at the pattern of nature, The Golden Spiral found in spiral galaxies, orbits of planets around suns as these stars orbit the galactic core, floral and animal patterns alike, DNA, cloud formations and stock market trends are made up of The Fibonacci Sequence, which is a numerical series of gaps. We have long known that young women are best for offspring health. We now know middle aged men are also better for offspring health. I changed nieces and nephew diapers from the time I was 10 to 18. I know a thing or 2 about children. I’m trying to date. Ladies, you just have to give me a chance. The science is on our side. I am biologically, psychologically and experiencially prepared to become a dad.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
loving Spokane, man.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Screaming Idiot posted:

Thank you for the information, and the Lindsay Ellis links. I would have replied earlier, but I binged some of her videos while I was blasting through MM11. I may be wrong, but my takeaway from is pretty much the same I felt before: some appropriation, like cultures mixing, is great, but don't misrepresent them and don't treat them as cutesy costumes and don't reduce them to simple stereotypes.

Also, anybody who says "I'M 1/16TH CHEROKEE DON'THCAKNOW" needs to be punched in the throat.

Seek to dismantle the systems of colonialism that reduces culture into but another resource to be exploited by capital!

If anyone wants to read/talk about cultural appropriation more there's a thread in GRS

there wolf has a new favorite as of 04:36 on Oct 7, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Stolen Valor might be a good way to get through to people actually. It's like the difference between someone wearing a 'support the troops' piece of apparel and a person wearing a dress uniform with fake medals. Nobody is going to care about the former but the latter may be seen as a grave insult in some circles.

Another thing people need to be wary about is gatekeeping things that aren't even relevant in their own culture. A white person screaming at another white person about cultural appropriation is sometimes taking that voice away from the group being appropriated.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tetracube posted:

deadmau5 has been a total piece of poo poo for years. he had a meltdown about furries or some poo poo a while back

also that mouse head is stupid and ugly as hell

For real? Funny how it's furries dunking on him now then.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Away all Goats posted:

"hows old goods"
This is from a ways back, but how the hell the one thing this lady managed to spell correctly "Fridge"? The least phonetic of any of those objects?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I just realized "sofer" meant "sofa" and now I'm giggling and saying "SITTIN IN MA SOFER" again and again like I got a brain problem.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/GovMikeHuckabee/status/1048588808713900032

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Screaming Idiot posted:

I just realized "sofer" meant "sofa" and now I'm giggling and saying "SITTIN IN MA SOFER" again and again like I got a brain problem.

That's a Scottish person I assume (I actually just happened to look up Inverness recently and it's near Loch/ the river Ness hence the name) but I parsed it pretty well from growing up in the southern US! Lot of sittin on the sofer eatin maters. I wosh maself with a rag on a stick. Etc.

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

This was made by one of the three people who actually owned a PSP

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Butt Detective posted:

The PSP sold like 80 million units

Andrast has a new favorite as of 08:23 on Oct 7, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I've never seen someone so thirsty for a flight voucher that didn;t have a family emergency.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Butt Detective posted:

This just makes me feel old cuz he PSP came out like my senior year of high school or first year of college I think.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Note: Huckabee hasn't been governor since 2007 - loving let. it. go.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Mike Huckabee is totally that guy who makes his boring friends giggle once or twice at at dinner parties and then someone says “no, like, you should TOTALLY do stand up!”

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://twitter.com/shaun_jen/status/1048913227327971328

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
This whole thread lmao
https://twitter.com/SweetSpaceship/status/1048391265677717505

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Butt Detective posted:

It was all he wanted for Christmas that year.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/JesseD316/status/1048828435836149760

quote:

Hmm, I wonder what Stubblebine was like as an officer?

quote:

A key sponsor of the Stargate Project (a remote viewing project) at Fort Meade, Maryland, Stubblebine was convinced of the reality of a wide variety of psychic phenomena. He required that all of his battalion commanders learn how to bend spoons in the manner of celebrity psychic Uri Geller, and he himself attempted several psychic feats, in addition to walking through walls, such as levitation and dispersing distant clouds with his mind. Stubblebine was a key leader in the U.S. military invasion of Grenada (1983) and was, according to a report published by the Daily Mail, "at the heart of America's military machine" at that time. After some controversy involving the experiments with psychic phenomena, Stubblebine took "early retirement" from the Army in 1984. In addition to alleged security violations from uncleared civilian psychics working in Sensitive Compartmented Information Facilities (SCIFs), Stubblebine offended then-U.S. Army Chief of Staff General John Adams Wickham, Jr. by offering to perform a spoon-bending feat at a formal gala; Wickham associated such phenomena with Satanism.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

https://twitter.com/JesseD316/status/1048828435836149760

Hmm, I wonder what Stubblebine was like as an officer?
If you gaze long into a goat, the goat also gazes into you

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Imagine this, but with the US Constitution, truth and justice, and you have a perfect analogy for the Trump administration.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

EvilGenius posted:

Imagine this, but with the US Constitution, truth and justice, and you have a perfect analogy for Federalist Society-endorsed judges

ftfy

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

There wasn't even anything wrong with it. "Get it seen too" wouldn't even make sense.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Mak0rz posted:

There wasn't even anything wrong with it. "Get it seen too" wouldn't even make sense.

She also seems to think the numeral 2 is also spelled "too".

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

:thejoke:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I got this message from a Facebook friend today:

quote:

Hi....I actually got another friend request from you which I ignored so you may want to check your account. Hold your finger on the message until the forward button appears...then hit forward and all the people you want to forward too....I had to do the people individually. PLEASE DO NOT ACCEPT A NEW friendship FROM ME AT THIS TIME.
No part of this makes any sense to me. If someone's created a fake account under my name, what do you want me to do about it? And why would I copy and paste the message? Is that what you did? Did you even get a friend request from a fake me or did you just send this to everyone? Is this some kind of scam? What even is this?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Seems innocuous enough but the op is racist as hell and doesn't like anybody who isn't white and born in the usa

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://twitter.com/lacroixwater/status/1048360713050308608

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

"Stand with sparkly water" is pretty loving far down my list of what I'll do. Also what/who's attacking it? gently caress you, LaCroix.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
I would defend LaCroix every time someone tells me it's gross, but gently caress their social media acting like there's some water Nazi type force trying to destroy them or something.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I tried their water once

It tasted like dust.

I'm no water nazi tho so idk who LaCroix is getting up in arms about

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://www.popsci.com/lacroix-lawsuit-natural-synthetic-flavors

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

mng posted:

"Stand with sparkly water" is pretty loving far down my list of what I'll do. Also what/who's attacking it? gently caress you, LaCroix.

People realized that a harmless substance used as flavoring can kill cockroaches, and freaked out.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dienes posted:

People realized that a harmless substance used as flavoring can kill cockroaches, and freaked out.

Coffee grounds kill ants. If LaCroix kills cockroaches that's a vote in its favor.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Water has the potential to poison humans, ban all water-based substances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Tiggum posted:

I got this message from a Facebook friend today:

No part of this makes any sense to me. If someone's created a fake account under my name, what do you want me to do about it? And why would I copy and paste the message? Is that what you did? Did you even get a friend request from a fake me or did you just send this to everyone? Is this some kind of scam? What even is this?

I have always just assumed that stuff like this is a trial balloon for real scamming later on. Like, a scammer makes an innocuous “forward this!!!” facebook status and releases it into the wild, then knows that anyone who passes it on is a dupe who will be a good target for active scamming in the future.