Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

An Accelerator anime as well.

In other news there's an Accelerator spin-off of Index.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Everything Burrito posted:

Go Nagai is also gross

yeah, I don't think novelty factors into it. it grosses me out precisely because it reminds me of the grody jokes weirdos make about every fantasy thing ever because of the doujins they're into

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also the fact that the whole thing is a big ol' power fantasy, complete with anonymous protagonist in full armor that you can project yourself onto, makes it worse as well.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
it's cool that the goblin slayer guy got paid for deciding to make berserk but extremely bad, what a world

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Expect My Mom posted:

it's cool that the goblin slayer guy got paid for deciding to make berserk but extremely bad, what a world

I honestly think I'd sooner just watch the recent berserk anime again than give GB another chance.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Motto posted:

the ones that are currently popular (in the west at least) are all adaptations by different creators that largely avoid the stuff people don't like in his manga, so

e: and consists entirely of Crybaby and maybe Re:, if we're being brutally honest

I think the anitwitter people who around the beginning of the year were pushing Go Nagai as some kind of counter cultural manga icon were paid fat stacks from Dynamic Pro

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
imo go nagai stuff and berserk too still has elements of sincerity and humanity that make them worth reading if one could get past their frivolous sexual violence but I also understand if one could not

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
like even the arc of berserk where guts is frequently left in the middle of a field of children's corpses ends on the idea that there it's pointless to always run from your situation and seek a paradise, but to stick it out in the battlefield of your life and idk I like that

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 7, 2018

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

a kitten posted:

Yeah I figured that wouldn't really be newsworthy to anyone here. The secret is that there's multiple Accel spinoffs. The best one is the 4koma where Accel is an idol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

I think the anitwitter people who around the beginning of the year were pushing Go Nagai as some kind of counter cultural manga icon were paid fat stacks from Dynamic Pro
i gotta say, all the insane takes about go nagai being a woke feminist from people who had clearly read a wikipedia article on cutie honey and not actually read cutie honey, was pretty crazy

frankly goblin slayer is way less gross than og cutie honey

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Space Flower posted:

Yeah I figured that wouldn't really be newsworthy to anyone here. The secret is that there's multiple Accel spinoffs. The best one is the 4koma where Accel is an idol
Wait, Idol Accelerator? :aaa:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

A Certain Magical Index III

Territories: World excluding Asia, North America, Australia, New Zealand, UK, Ireland, and South Africa

Episode 1 is now live for the listed regions.

Weirdly the video's available for me, but I guess I have to watch it in French because there's no English subs.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

i gotta say, all the insane takes about go nagai being a woke feminist from people who had clearly read a wikipedia article on cutie honey and not actually read cutie honey, was pretty crazy

frankly goblin slayer is way less gross than og cutie honey

cutie honey is like the world record for how fast a manga could make me put it down

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

a kitten posted:

The Accelerator spin-off has been around for a while, surprised they're finally animating it.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Motto posted:

the ones that are currently popular (in the west at least) are all adaptations by different creators that largely avoid the stuff people don't like in his manga, so

e: and consists entirely of Crybaby and maybe Re:, if we're being brutally honest

I'm sorry, by popular I just mean the ones I like :twisted:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

I'm sorry, by popular I just mean the ones I like :twisted:

ah, then by dav's account you should give it a shot ;)

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
I feel the fact that Go Nagai's art is incredibly crude by today's standards also lessens any shock factor in his manga.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

The Colonel posted:

cutie honey is like the world record for how fast a manga could make me put it down

real catchy op tho

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
a manga with an OP, go nagai really was the trend setter

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Expect My Mom posted:

like even the arc of berserk where guts is frequently left in the middle of a field of children's corpses ends on the idea that there it's pointless to always run from your situation and seek a paradise, but to stick it out in the battlefield of your life and idk I like that

For being the arc that was fairly upfront at being all child murdery, the Valley of Lost Children was actually pretty drat good and not even one of the really gross arcs.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Professor Irony posted:

I feel the fact that Go Nagai's art is incredibly crude by today's standards also lessens any shock factor in his manga.

it sure didn't make the first chapter of cutie honey going from someone talking about how lesbians only exist because they're sexually frustrated that there aren't any men around straight into someone getting their clothes violently whipped off for three panels any less awful

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Wow, GRIDMAN has a really impressive writer/director combo. Did anyone ever check out Viper’s Creed? Because from what else I’ve seen of his work, Keiichi Hasegawa really seems to know what he’s doing, and I kind of wanna know how far back it goes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Wow, GRIDMAN has a really impressive writer/director combo. Did anyone ever check out Viper’s Creed? Because from what else I’ve seen of his work, Keiichi Hasegawa really seems to know what he’s doing, and I kind of wanna know how far back it goes.

i vaguely recall that it was terminally dull, but it's been years and i didn't watch the whole show so :shrug:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Professor Irony posted:

Speak for yourself, the build-up to the ending of the original devilman manga is still one of the most haunting things I've ever read in the medium

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
go's ultraviolence aged well, but his sexual violence did not. it's gross and off-putting nowadays.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Coaaab posted:

Speak for yourself, the build-up to the ending of the original devilman manga is still one of the most haunting things I've ever read in the medium
I kinda think Nagai's art works for the most part to amplify the horror of Devilman. (yes, spoilers for a two-score old manga, I like to be careful) Taro and Miki's deaths still loving haunt me, even after over a decade since I first read it.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

go's ultraviolence aged well, but his sexual violence did not. it's gross and off-putting nowadays.
:agreed:

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Gridman seemed cool. I understand why the fans of the original tokusatsu are not so enthusiastic about it.

Someone earlier in the thread said they didn't want another eva love letter and I fully undersand that. The EVA references were exactly what gripped me because I'm a horrible person who doesn't care about the original material. I'm sorry :ohdear:

What I'm saying give me a new entertaining potentially melodramatic mindfucky mecha show. Or any anime for that matter that grips me in the same way as EVA did.

I swear it's not just nostalgia talking.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh, i loved Let the Right One In

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

For being the arc that was fairly upfront at being all child murdery, the Valley of Lost Children was actually pretty drat good and not even one of the really gross arcs.
yeah beserk's pretty good imo, extremely unpopular opinion I'm sure

anyway fall anime, I'm excited for some episode 2s this week. i should check out more stuff, but like, i get so tired of watching first episodes that i need to watch something develop rather than set up ya know?

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 8, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dessel posted:

Gridman seemed cool. I understand why the fans of the original tokusatsu are not so enthusiastic about it.

Someone earlier in the thread said they didn't want another eva love letter and I fully undersand that. The EVA references were exactly what gripped me because I'm a horrible person who doesn't care about the original material. I'm sorry :ohdear:

What I'm saying give me a new entertaining potentially melodramatic mindfucky mecha show. Or any anime for that matter that grips me in the same way as EVA did.

I swear it's not just nostalgia talking.

I’d be hesitant to compare Gridman to Eva too closely. It may be using a number of the same visual tools, but it’s using them to tell a very different kind of story - an outward-facing ontological mystery rather than an inward-facing psychological thriller. The Gridman gang are trapped in a weird, off-kilter world, while Shinji is trapped in his own head with the world’s weirdness being more of a symbolic visual aid.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the half-length comedies this season are killer

honda seems like it might carry the miss bernard torch but for manga and manga/bookstore culture, and himote house is an interesting enough premise carried by strong designs and the return(?) of improv segments.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I wasn't fond of the joke timing or delivery of Himote House, and the stiff 3D mobage CG animation didn't click either. The overall premise and the after credits session were great though, but not enough for me to keep watching.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

I’d be hesitant to compare Gridman to Eva too closely. It may be using a number of the same visual tools, but it’s using them to tell a very different kind of story - an outward-facing ontological mystery rather than an inward-facing psychological thriller. The Gridman gang are trapped in a weird, off-kilter world, while Shinji is trapped in his own head with the world’s weirdness being more of a symbolic visual aid.

Yes. The aesthetics are Gainaxy as hell and there will no doubt be some kind of mindfuck plot twist at some point, but in terms of the style of story this show is almost certainly going to be more of a love letter to the 90s era toku show it's a revival of.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yes. The aesthetics are Gainaxy as hell and there will no doubt be some kind of mindfuck plot twist at some point, but in terms of the style of story this show is almost certainly going to be more of a love letter to the 90s era toku show it's a revival of.

Yeah. It's also important to remember a lot of Eva was a loveletter to old Toku shows, so there's going to be some common ground for any revival like this even if you somehow got a cryogenically frozen animation team who'd never heard of Shinji.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

^ I expect as much. It is a tokusatsu show originally after all. I know I'm expecting something the show most likely isn't going to be. I just liked the visual/audio motifs and some vibes from the storytelling.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I don't know who did it first but I know that the shots in Gridman where there's enormous, majestic Kaiju corpses just looming over the city skyline is dope as gently caress

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

yeah but the live action gridman aesthetic js cool

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

look at these CYBER BUILDINGS

RME
Feb 20, 2012

those buildings are very cyber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The reveal of the wireframe inside that discount Godzilla’s neck in SSSS was pretty wild.