Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

barkbell posted:

That’s what I said. Developed nations could slingshot developing countries into modernization past the industrial revolution or whatever and they always respond “I don’t want to pay for it.” Which I think is the real reason for climate deniers.

There's profit in burning coal. Coal is cheap as gently caress if you ignore the environmental damage. A poor country that can only afford coal is going to look at that and go "coal it is!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

There's profit in burning coal. Coal is cheap as gently caress if you ignore the environmental damage. A poor country that can only afford coal is going to look at that and go "coal it is!"

That's of course assuming the country has either local natural coal deposits or there is an international market for coal.

And its also ignoring how some renewables are as cheap or cheaper compared to coal, even in the "developing world".

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Reminder that building up infrastructure is itself energy intensive, even if you limit electricity generation to renewables and nuclear.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Conspiratiorist posted:

Reminder that building up infrastructure is itself energy intensive, even if you limit electricity generation to renewables and nuclear.

Certainly, but the issue with the climate isn't that we're expending energy but that we're emitting greenhouse gasses while also limiting natural sequestration cycles.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

By that I meant that you use fossil fuels to transport materials, to operate construction machinery, and to produce cement and plastics.

Setting up infrastructure also displaces the natural environment but that goes without saying.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
One advantage to being 'undeveloped' is that these countries don't have centuries of antiquated bullshit piled up already. Iv'e specifically seen this lauded wrt renewables and wireless. Countries in Africa which are rolling out new infrastructure don't have to contend with trillions of dollars worth of stuff getting in the way or major institutional interests screeching about coal or whatever.

So why the emphasis on, "they deserve the right to industrialize, too?" No, they deserve to develop without making our mistakes. And we should help them.

They can do better than we did.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
We definitely should help them. The issue is getting past "but that costs money."

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Ah, i've been told the forum i said i'd send via pm has already been posted in this forum heaps so: https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/
sorry about that guys!

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
That Great Filter poo poo is awesome. I bet there are tons of super interesting alien great filters that we'll never know about because we're hosed. I'm saddest that I'll never get to know anything of alien societies and cultures. Really loving annoying. Still, you figure that across infinity there must be one society that successfully expands and consumes all. Or maybe if you get to a certain point you just meditate all day or put your mind into a computer and cum.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The great filter is almost certainly the jump to multicellular life plus fanfiction that it's future stuff because that gets to be more dramatic and sadbrains.

The jump to multicellular life is the only step in the history of life that seemed to require any waiting around waiting for it to happen once the conditions were right, every other step happened near instantly the second it could have. Any prediction of anything as the "great filter" is just being sci-fi silly.

Charlz Guybon posted:

This is not true. Multicellular life has evolved separately several times.

Maybe you're thinking of eukaryotic cells?

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
Whenever someone mentions a US military branch to combat climate change, I imagine strongarming foreign countries to pledge to destroy or never develop certain technologies, the same way as a lot of countries are strongarmed into not developing the capacity to build nuclear power right now. You know, with this zero-sum mentality where everyone else has to stop burning coal so that the US can burn more.

Also, underdeveloped countries aren't going to have industrial revolutions, history doesn't work like that. Last time I checked, they were mostly developing directly into service economies rather than going through an industrial production dominated phase at all. New players can only easily get on supply-constrained markets, and when companies need to heavily invest in marketing, it's a sign that their time is long over. There's only a pretty limited amount of profitable industry to build when others are already shipping products around the world using fine-tuned production processes with decades of experience behind them. For development of national industry to happen beyond that point, the country has to be very protectionist or restricted from importing goods. On the other hand most services can't be just shipped: if foreigners want to sell them to you, they have to produce them near you and hire local people.

The sensible choice would be to ensure that sustainable energy choices would be cheaper for them to use than fossil fuel energy, and to an extent it's already happening, seeing as e.g. solar is getting cheaper fast some countries can use it really efficiently. But nuclear is pretty much blocked for many due to both the up-front cost of building it and how few companies in the world are capable of building it. And getting rid of oil will require massive infrastructure investment from any country, seeing as goods and people need to move.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Conspiratiorist posted:

Not megacities. Megacities as they exist now are terrible because it's unmanaged urban sprawl turned upwards.

All you actually need, in terms of physical space to comfortably house the entire human population, is a bunch of Parises.

Paris is incredibly space and resource efficient for its population, and it's got nothing to do with skyscrapers or whatever. It's just that most of the city's housing is 6-story buildings and there's very few individual separated homes. That's it. There's still plenty of luxury and budget accommodations everywhere and literally over half the city's land is public parkland.

Edit: 3,300 Parises would be enough for the entire planet's current population.

Edit edit: That's 136,000 square miles, or about the size of Utah and Colorado put together. And that's including more than half of that area being open parkland.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 5, 2018

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

uncop posted:

Whenever someone mentions a US military branch to combat climate change, I imagine strongarming foreign countries to pledge to destroy or never develop certain technologies, the same way as a lot of countries are strongarmed into not developing the capacity to build nuclear power right now. You know, with this zero-sum mentality where everyone else has to stop burning coal so that the US can burn more.

Also, underdeveloped countries aren't going to have industrial revolutions, history doesn't work like that. Last time I checked, they were mostly developing directly into service economies rather than going through an industrial production dominated phase at all. New players can only easily get on supply-constrained markets, and when companies need to heavily invest in marketing, it's a sign that their time is long over. There's only a pretty limited amount of profitable industry to build when others are already shipping products around the world using fine-tuned production processes with decades of experience behind them. For development of national industry to happen beyond that point, the country has to be very protectionist or restricted from importing goods. On the other hand most services can't be just shipped: if foreigners want to sell them to you, they have to produce them near you and hire local people.

The sensible choice would be to ensure that sustainable energy choices would be cheaper for them to use than fossil fuel energy, and to an extent it's already happening, seeing as e.g. solar is getting cheaper fast some countries can use it really efficiently. But nuclear is pretty much blocked for many due to both the up-front cost of building it and how few companies in the world are capable of building it. And getting rid of oil will require massive infrastructure investment from any country, seeing as goods and people need to move.

Ya. This is how I feel but I'm too stupid in the moment to put it into words. I'm always falling into the trap of dummies using terms like industrial revolution and I just let them out of convenience but really I should correct them because of the important connotations it implies.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
How much does it make sense to even build up infrastructure in places that are gonna be unlivable in a few generations anyway? Let's be forward thinking and start building modern nuclear plants and apartment buildings all over Siberia so they're ready for all the mass migrations.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
very little is going to become unlivable, like yes the population distribution will shift north, and inshallah florida will be taken by the sea, but most of forced migrations will be about moving inland from flooding not north from temperatures

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

StabbinHobo posted:

very little is going to become unlivable, like yes the population distribution will shift north, and inshallah florida will be taken by the sea, but most of forced migrations will be about moving inland from flooding not north from temperatures

Dude, that's extremely wrong.

e: like, just google "climate change uninhabitable" you fuckin moron. huge swaths of the planet are going to be uninhabitable for significant chunks of the year by the end of the century. Forced migration due to sea level rise will pale in comparison.

How are u fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 5, 2018

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Roadie posted:

All you actually need, in terms of physical space to comfortably house the entire human population, is a bunch of Parises.

Paris is incredibly space and resource efficient for its population, and it's got nothing to do with skyscrapers or whatever. It's just that most of the city's housing is 6-story buildings and there's very few individual separated homes. That's it. There's still plenty of luxury and budget accommodations everywhere and literally over half the city's land is public parkland.

Edit: 3,300 Parises would be enough for the entire planet's current population.

Edit edit: That's 136,000 square miles, or about the size of Utah and Colorado put together. And that's including more than half of that area being open parkland.

It would be interesting to apply that analysis to the USA and determine the impact on CO2/capita etc.

Would also give us some magnificent national parks :-)

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

How are u posted:

Dude, that's extremely wrong.

e: like, just google "climate change uninhabitable" you fuckin moron. huge swaths of the planet are going to be uninhabitable for significant chunks of the year by the end of the century. Forced migration due to sea level rise will pale in comparison.

huge swaths of the planet are already uninhabitable for significant chunks of the year. yes they're going to grow, but thats not where people live. most people dont live in the sahel or on the arabian peninsula, or at the outskirts of the gobi. most of human kind lives near a coast and/or in a floodplain in a temperate band that will get warmer, but not really drive anyone to move (this century).

think of it like this, by 2100 NYC will have DCs weather. or hell, Atlanta's. that will suck, but its not a migration-inducing thing.

however in that same time frame everything with a thousand feet of the shoreline will have been damaged by storm surges and everything below the 500 year floodplain line will have been destroyed from river deltas that can no longer empty stormwater as fast.

edit: keep in mind what i'm responding too, the comment was about building poo poo in siberia. my point is thats nonsense, pennsylvania will be perfectly fine.

StabbinHobo fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 5, 2018

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Minus the staggering amounts of lead contamination, of course.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Billionaires know what is up with climate change and the near future of human civilization on the planet. Those that are not actively trying to leave the planet due to some God complex of being the first human to own the entirety of Mars are buying up private land en-mass in NZ, Chile, or Argentina and such.

A great article on the latter:
https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2018-rich-new-zealand-doomsday-preppers/

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imho thats a lot less about billionaires having any loving clue more than most people and more about that when you have a billion dollars spending 10 - 50 million of it on a stupid zombie scenario is a fun hobby

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

StabbinHobo posted:

imho thats a lot less about billionaires having any loving clue more than most people and more about that when you have a billion dollars spending 10 - 50 million of it on a stupid zombie scenario is a fun hobby

They never plan to have a production apparatus or any means of outlasting their supplies or expanding, so, yeah, this.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Areas of the planet that are currently habitable will certainly become uninhabitable. The tropics are hosed.

As for temperate zones, hope y'all don't like autumn and winter, cuz those are disapperaring. It's going to be summer year round, temperature wise. 80 degrees in December and January, in New England. And actual summer will be in upper 90s and lower 100s. Its going to suck so bad,but still getting off light compared to tropics.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Blue Star posted:

Areas of the planet that are currently habitable will certainly become uninhabitable. The tropics are hosed.

As for temperate zones, hope y'all don't like autumn and winter, cuz those are disapperaring. It's going to be summer year round, temperature wise. 80 degrees in December and January, in New England. And actual summer will be in upper 90s and lower 100s. Its going to suck so bad,but still getting off light compared to tropics.

The summer temperatures are gonna raise like 5 or 10 degrees and the winter is going to rise 50-90 degrees? That seems kind of lopsided.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The summer temperatures are gonna raise like 5 or 10 degrees and the winter is going to rise 50-90 degrees? That seems kind of lopsided.

Polar temps raising faster than equatorial temps. Arctic air that brings winter temps in northern hemisphere will be way way warmer.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Telephones posted:

That Great Filter poo poo is awesome. I bet there are tons of super interesting alien great filters that we'll never know about because we're hosed. I'm saddest that I'll never get to know anything of alien societies and cultures. Really loving annoying. Still, you figure that across infinity there must be one society that successfully expands and consumes all. Or maybe if you get to a certain point you just meditate all day or put your mind into a computer and cum.

The greatest filter is consciousness and survival instincts.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

There are certainly some regions that will get thoroughly hosed by end-of-century just from the net temperature/humidity increase, ie Persian Gulf and northern India, since they're both densely populated and already suffer from sporadic close brushes with 35C wet-bulb temperature.

But the real fun will be when the thermohaline circulation shuts down.

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010
Cop a load of this for a prediction:

The Arctic sea will become ice free for the first time (in our history) by summer 2022. After that it will become ice free year-round within ten years. Once it is ice free year-round the cold centre of the northern hemisphere will shift to Greenland, which will cause the jet stream to destabilise and reorient around Greenland, massively disrupting northern hemisphere weather patterns leading to mass, ongoing crop failures and a host of other effects not conducive with a stable world as we know it.

link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMra7pPFqmE

Discuss.

Who wants to be in my gang of motorbike cannibals

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

This guy's non peer reviewed, possibly non-existent models don't exactly have a great track record:

http://www.archive.sierraclub.ca/en/AdultDiscussionPlease

By Paul Beckwith

On March 23, 2013, I made the following prediction:

“For the record—I do not think that any sea ice will survive this summer. An event unprecedented in human history is today, this very moment, transpiring in the Arctic Ocean.

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This guy's non peer reviewed, possibly non-existent models don't exactly have a great track record:

I'm halfway through picking out animal skulls for shoulder pads here, don't tell me I'm wasting my time

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Plumps posted:

I'm halfway through picking out animal skulls for shoulder pads here, don't tell me I'm wasting my time

Pff, look at this chump. Everyone knows tires are the superior material for shoulder pads.

ps. wanna join your gang.

Plumps
Apr 21, 2010

Ssthalar posted:

Pff, look at this chump. Everyone knows tires are the superior material for shoulder pads.

ps. wanna join your gang.

I like your attitude, Tires.

Tell you what - you bring your own tooth file and skull polisher and you're in.

Ability to render human fat into motorbike fuel will be looked upon favourably.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Climate Change: lol my b

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Apparently there will be a new IPCC report tomorrow?

We shall wait for it with bated breath.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"see that in the rear view mirror? that was 1.5"
-ipcc

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gortarius posted:

Apparently there will be a new IPCC report tomorrow?

We shall wait for it with bated breath.

Prediction: it will say 1.5C to 2.7C in the next 82 years which is very bad and the most dire prediction they have ever produced and then this thread will broadly ignore it because it's not a spicey enough number to support personal revenge or survivalist fantasy.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
ipcc report is just a link to the clip from breaking bad where the guy kills himself with a defibrillator in a bathroom

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Prediction: it will say 1.5C to 2.7C in the next 82 years which is very bad and the most dire prediction they have ever produced and then this thread will broadly ignore it because it's not a spicey enough number to support personal revenge or survivalist fantasy.

Double prediction: 5 years from now they add another .5 to 1 degree to both of those numbers and the denialists will keep pretending like everything's okay because it's still not as bad as it technically could be, and certainly won't become an even worse prediction 5 years after that.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ChairMaster posted:

Double prediction: 5 years from now they add another .5 to 1 degree to both of those numbers and the denialists will keep pretending like everything's okay because it's still not as bad as it technically could be, and certainly won't become an even worse prediction 5 years after that.

It's you, you are the denialist.

Doing some lame "the IPCC is a bunch of hacks that don't know what they are saying" isn't helping climate change, it's a lame and lovely tactic to muddy the waters and pretend this is some matter of opinion thing that no one is researching or looking into and it just can be whatever you feel like you'd like it to be.

IPCC models have been very accurate so far, they refine them over time but the idea on either side that they are just a bunch of dummies that constantly have egg on their face as they wildly have to change their know nothing fake news models is not a real thing. This is observed vs projected temperatures, they have been continuously been very good science done by real climate researchers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm not criticizing the IPCC, I'm making fun of the people who take every opportunity they can to pretend like everything is okay, including completely ignoring the fact that every scientific report on every subject relating to climate change looks worse and worse every few years, but these people refuse to see the pattern and insist that everything is going to be okay.