Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

SiKboy posted:

This is why I think they might undo some of the deaths of this episode. They are definitely going to revisit the tooth aliens and rescue the in-stasis trophy people. Its a little grim if they release the sister and then tell her "Oh yeah, your brother died because he was searching for you", so they find a way to save him. If they save him they might as well save grace too. And possibly drunk kebab guy, but frankly he brought his death on himself.

I dunno. Capaldi had an awful lot of 'oh he's dead/dying. Never mind, on to the next scene' in his tenure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed watching this episode. I will watch the next one as well.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004
Does anyone know what BBC America is doing with this Special Edition version later tonight? Is it like a pop up video version or something?

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Tooth face did feel like an underdeveloped Moffat tooth fairy monster to scare the kids.....

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

spog posted:

I dunno. Capaldi had an awful lot of 'oh he's dead/dying. Never mind, on to the next scene' in his tenure.

I liked the episode where he was stuck in the tiny tardis and Clara took the reigns claiming to be the Doctor. Mostly for how worried he was that she was acting as she perceived him to be, and that that meant dealing with death inhumanly well. He saw himself how humans perceived him and he saw someone who was way too cavalier about her failures.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was surprisingly unshit

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’d link a picture of the Tooth Child from Channel Zero, but honestly, it’s proper nightmare fuel.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
I thought they were going to kill off Grace because otherwise it would be harder to justify Graham joining the TARDIS crew. Then they all just teleported.

I'm strangely fixated on the 'Upper Canada Village' pennant that was on the wall in the workshop. It seems a strangely specific and out of place piece of detail.

Mostly I just want the Doctor to visit Canada.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

That's a great Who episode, not overdoing it but putting some important elements down. The sound design was brilliant, that ambient white noisy panning thing quite inspired. Of course it's Chibnall so someone has to die, he racked up 4 or 5?

But more importantly, *excited squeaks* it's the Doctor! I detect a bit of the Tennant doctor there, the enthusiasm and verbal sidebars particularly, and I hope that the mad scientist Doctor is going to be a thing. Now the waiting for another week.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
"The Eleventh Hour" is still the high water mark of new doctor intro episodes to me but that was very good and 13 is great.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ewe2 posted:

But more importantly, *excited squeaks* it's the Doctor! I detect a bit of the Tennant doctor there, the enthusiasm and verbal sidebars particularly, and I hope that the mad scientist Doctor is going to be a thing. Now the waiting for another week.

I felt a lot of Smith in her performance as well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Kindly grandpa FaceTime MURDER

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Woman Who Fell To Earth gifs:

It's so good to have Doctor Who back!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Good start. The music is everything I've been hoping for for ten years, the theme remix is outstanding, and were those out-of-focus howlaround-style graphics I saw behind the closing credits? It feels fresh in a way it hasn't done for a long time, it's a real Troughton-to-Pertwee moment.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Doctor Strange (2016)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

Doctor Strange (2016)

Anyone else think that that had something to do with the TARDIS?

https://twitter.com/wenbbilliams/status/1049016866579107840

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

The tooth-man said that it was what gave him permission to land on Earth.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

This is some goddamn excellent Doctor Who.

I'm fully in love with 13.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Also I’m currently visiting my parents and my dad is called Karl and is from Sheffield so that was very cute

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

gently caress yes, I am so glad that stuck :)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Trin Tragula posted:

Good start. The music is everything I've been hoping for for ten years, the theme remix is outstanding, and were those out-of-focus howlaround-style graphics I saw behind the closing credits? It feels fresh in a way it hasn't done for a long time, it's a real Troughton-to-Pertwee moment.

I'm just going to assume you made all that up until I see an actual closing credit sequence. :colbert:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Just got through watching it. It's... really good-looking. There are some individual shots in there that were just beautiful, like the one of the train's dim lights moving through the tunnel.

What most amazes me is that with three companions (really, four, because Grace was one in this first episode), the script didn't feel too crowded. All of them had something to do and they didn't resort to the usual "split up by capture" thing. I like all three of them and I'm looking forward to learning more about them..

Thirteen is great so far! One thing that they really nailed is that when she says, essentially, "Just trust me" and sputters off a bunch of "reverse the polarity" type-stuff (DNA bombs, lol), you for once feel like people are listening to her because she's just the kind of person you instantly trust. A lot of the time in Doctor Who, the heel characters are the ones who won't listen to the Doctor because he sounds insane, but the only reason they come off as obnoxious is because the writing forces them to be. The Doctor usually does sound quite mad. Even while Thirteen is talking about all of her cells burning and being born, she just sounds credible, for some reason, you can believe that people want to believe her.

I don't mind a character death as motivation for some of the other characters. The family seems big enough that it's not the only their sole characteristic. Ryan's dad, his dyspraxia, his awkward relationship with his step-grandfather, his warehouse job that he wants to move on from, all of those things help to make him more than just his grandmother's death.

I was a little worried the new composer would be too understated, but Akinola is definitely having some fun here and there, with the little bit of the theme thrown in and some maudlin violins and stuff. The new theme song is much closer to the classic one than it has been since like... before the 1980s.

Some bad(-ish) stuff: the villain was definitely generic. The teeth thing felt more gross-out than horrific, he had that stupid, gaspy, echoing deep voice they give to warrior aliens (which, besides being a cliche is hard to hear their individual words), and he was just your typically, haughty, war alien. The "she built it using whatever she could find in Sheffield" makes me like the new sonic design a little better, but it still looks like it was designed with Legos and Play-Doh. I'm never a big fan of "the TARDIS is lost/destroyed forever" as a plot for more than a single episode, because we know that eventually they are going to move past it, and it's one of the few things that feels like someone is meddling with the core of the show.

Overall, I think it was a great time for a change, and I really like all of the people they've hired. I'm not sold on Chibnall as head writer yet (although I think this first episode was good), but I am pretty sold on him as a showrunner, only 10 episodes a season or not. We've got a good, diverse cast who seem to be having the time of their lives, a good composer, and great production values. It's a new era!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I'd say it was about as good as Rose or Christmas Invasions and way better than Deep Breath.
I'm not quite sold on having 3 companions yet. I liked Doctor having companions of the week and new ones will have less spotlight with 3 regulars tagging along.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I like that we got a full episode of Jodie in the 12th Doctor's clothes because, as good as the new outfit is, she was pulling that off.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Stairs posted:

Does anyone know what BBC America is doing with this Special Edition version later tonight? Is it like a pop up video version or something?

Apparently it's a version made for young adults. There's some gore (when they find the body in the garage) and Grace's fall and impact are shown. Etc.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Apparently it's a version made for young adults. There's some gore (when they find the body in the garage) and Grace's fall and impact are shown. Etc.

Seems a bit pointless, if true.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

I like that we got a full episode of Jodie in the 12th Doctor's clothes because, as good as the new outfit is, she was pulling that off.

The new outfit is cool but yeah I feel like she’s not gonna top how sick she looked in Capaldi’s clothes

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

it's a programme for :siren: YOUNG ADULTS :siren: made by :siren: YOUNG ADULTS :siren:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2ojr40

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm really happy. I enjoyed the outer limits feeling to the bits before The Doctor dropped in, and how her involvement was a continuation of the vibe and let it development.

Now there were some plot holes but they might be the season. E.g. when buddy said that he gave the guy permission to land - but the aliens had been on earth already. Who gave permission then?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
The upped production values/direction shows really well - it looks proper good now. And I have to echo the mixing responses here as it was nice to be able to hear poo poo without the music mugging for the camera every five seconds. I'm impressed by the awesome supporting cast and while I think Jodie was great, she still has that Deep Breath 'I'm finding my feet in this character' thing that will fade soon. I was miffed about Grace's death - it seemed a bit too convenient to get her out of the way so they can be companions, but Bradley gave such a moving funeral speech - seriously, he acts that a treat - that I can sort of forgive the clumsiness of it. It was also strangely calming to know that no Moffat humour was coming at any point.

Overall, a solid opener that like the best openers, promises more goodness to come. Roll on the Chibnall era!

CommonShore posted:

I'm really happy. I enjoyed the outer limits feeling to the bits before The Doctor dropped in, and how her involvement was a continuation of the vibe and let it development.

Now there were some plot holes but they might be the season. E.g. when buddy said that he gave the guy permission to land - but the aliens had been on earth already. Who gave permission then?
That's not a plot hole, just information the audience doesn't have. We can infer that some other randomer gave permission.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I liked how they handled the Doctor being a woman.

I.e. The Doctor happens to be a woman but is still the Doctor.

I feel that if Moffat had written it, he would have handled it with his usual hamfistedness with the point being brought up every 10 mins with a mug to the camera and a crap joke.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Moffat’s version of the “legs used to be longer” thing would probably have involved the Doctor now having boobs

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Plavski posted:

That's not a plot hole, just information the audience doesn't have. We can infer that some other randomer gave permission.

Well perhaps. The point I want to make is that this episode has lots of good little connection points like that which might be flaws in the writing or which might become strengths depending on the next 9

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That was wonderful!

It dragged a bit, but it's a regeneration episode. Jodie was amazing.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Watching the repeat on BBCA and right off the bat I instantly identify with Ryan, because I never learned to ride a bike either. :v:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think it’s nice Chibnall had a character have dyspraxia as I have a couple friends with it and it’s frequently misunderstood or something people are totally unaware of

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

cargohills posted:

The tooth-man said that it was what gave him permission to land on Earth.

he said he was given permission, Ryan (I think it was Ryan?) just assumed the permission was via the Dr. Strange button

the Dr. Strange button might be totally unrelated, and the source of the permission could be a bigger mystery for later

or not, I dunno it just sounds like a very Doctor Who way of having a mystery the audience doesn't realize is a mystery until it is

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
oh also those opaque goggles 13 was wearing when she was doing the mad scientist thing need to make a comeback

I mean, the mad scientist tinkering together a sonic screwdriver/teleporter/in general needs to keep happening but those goggles need to be part of it

goggles are cool

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

That theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra_n4KLtdSM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'll get used to it.