Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

dog nougat posted:

:catstare:

Good on that range safety officer being on point. Was completely expecting a negligent discharge.

I'd put money he knew to keep an eye on those two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah I was waiting for him to shoot the phone out of his hand, and then he loving pointed it at his friend's head

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

I literally gasped and said "Oh god!" outloud.

Phanatic posted:

He'd already made sure it was unloaded and was checking for a barrel obstruction. Like you're supposed to do.

Of the three of those, May's the one who isn't an idiot.

Maybe it's not clear, but I was talking about the gun range idiot. Top Gear is 99% scripted except when Richard crashes rocket cars. I'm not worried about James May.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 7, 2018

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Imagined posted:

I literally gasped and said "Oh god!" outloud.

He'd already made sure it was unloaded and was checking for a barrel obstruction. Like you're supposed to do.

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

weg posted:

Not as scary when it's oriented correctly lol.

Still looks like a cool place to take a hike though.

If he's doing it in trail runners he could slip or roll an ankle if he's not careful but honestly the railing and steps make it pretty safe.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Counterpoint. Don't point a gun at something you don't intend to shoot. Loaded or not.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Schadenboner posted:

There's nothing funny about premature ejaculation, it's a real problem!

:mad:

I'd have thought you of all people would find a way to take pleasure in someone else's boner misfortune...

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

dog nougat posted:

Counterpoint. Don't point a gun at something you don't intend to shoot. Loaded or not.

Oh dear I wonder why no-one stopped me and every one else at the fort from doing it literally several times a day every day when I was in the service? Maybe because they wanted me to be able to see my barrel was clean? I just don't know any more :ohdear:

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I'd have thought you of all people would find a way to take pleasure in someone else's boner misfortune...

AV/post combo

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Jerry Cotton posted:

Oh dear I wonder why no-one stopped me and every one else at the fort from doing it literally several times a day every day when I was in the service? Maybe because they wanted me to be able to see my barrel was clean? I just don't know any more :ohdear:

See also the discharge cans near every barracks door. How often do those get hit with a ND from an "empty" firearm?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

...yawn

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sharkytm posted:

See also the discharge cans near every barracks door. How often do those get hit with a ND from an "empty" firearm?

In the US? Probably millions of times every minute. I Finland? It would make the news and in my entire life the only negligent discharges (in non-field situations) I remember reading about were by cops, usually shooting themselves or their colleagues.

e: I guess dog nougat only uses optical fibres or cameras or something to inspect guns. That's cool, a completely workable solution, if a bit pricey and fiddly.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 8, 2018

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Jerry Cotton posted:

In the US? Probably millions of times every minute. I Finland? It would make the news and in my entire life the only negligent discharges I remember reading about were by cops, usually shooting themselves or their colleagues.

e: I guess dog nougat only uses optical fibres or cameras or something to inspect guns. That's cool, a completely workable solution, if a bit pricey and fiddly.

Let me guess... serving in the police excuses you from military conscription.

e: FDF? Do the Valmet rifles have a provision to hold the bolt open? I figured they would at least give you a little mirror to inspect the chamber for cleaning. Between a mirror and a flashlight, it could be done without putting your face in front of the muzzle.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 8, 2018

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
That's how you are supposed to inspect the barrels of weapons without removable bolts.

You check they are clear, stick your thumb in the breech and look down the pointy end. Your thumbnail reflects light up the barrel so you can see it is clean.

Also, it makes for a fun clip in Top Gear, so it is worth doing it for that alone.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Gun cleanings/inspection a bit like LOTO when you're doing it right. Never get in the line of fire of energy, but there's plenty of ways to take the energy out and keep it out depending in the equipment in question.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

madeintaipei posted:

Let me guess... serving in the police excuses you from military conscription.

I should think it's quite the opposite, at least for men. Not sure how it is nowadays, though.

madeintaipei posted:

e: FDF? Do the Valmet rifles have a provision to hold the bolt open? I figured they would at least give you a little mirror to inspect the chamber for cleaning. Between a mirror and a flashlight, it could be done without putting your face in front of the muzzle.

Obviously you remove the bolt from an assault rifle (or rifle) before looking in the barrel.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 8, 2018

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Its extremely not mind/work safe but if you head to north american rescue's Facebook page they have an example of what happens if you put the wrong type of blade into an electric saw. They also have a nice write up of why despite looking horrific it's not really that big a deal and the guy survived following a simple surgery.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Can't remember if I've posted this in here before.
If it wasn't me, maybe someone else did. It was pretty hosed up.

Lake Peigneur disaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_iZr2-Coqc

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

dog nougat posted:

I never intend to shoot the floor but here I go pointing at it anyway

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Lake Peigneur reminds me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa3nFLZIvbU

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

Both of those look like they would make awesome pieces of public art.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Best OSHA collection I've seen in forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at5HqbOAJOI

Also has the nearest nearest miss in the history of big metal hooks at 8:20

I'm the laughing in the clip at 1:43.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

wesleywillis posted:

Can't remember if I've posted this in here before.
If it wasn't me, maybe someone else did. It was pretty hosed up.

Lake Peigneur disaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_iZr2-Coqc

Friend of mine works on a gold mine in Western Australia. She was supervising the drilling contractors they had to do aircore drilling, which is short holes (40-50m) and they get 12-15 of them done every day. So she goes out at the end of the day and realises they've drilled four holes off the end of their line that shouldn't be there. The head contractor is apologetic "ahh poo poo, yeah I guess we just went along with the line without noticing we were supposed to step south by 100m and then go back the other way, sorry about that, we won't charge you for the ~1/3 day it took us to do those, no harm no foul". So my friend puts that in her weekly drilling report, sends it upstairs and forgets about it.

It then comes back downstairs from the senior mine planning staff with a meeting invitation for herself and the head drill contractor. This meeting opens with "you realise that the fibre optic cable that links the Eastern Australian states with the Western Australian seaboard runs through our mine lease, right? There's a really important reason that we do not do any drilling that is not checked, double-checked and triple-checked with the senior staff. If that line is breached, every single loss-of-business outcome for people down the line is the responsibility of the company that breached it."

That can't have been a fun meeting to attend. Now the entire mine site is overhauling their drill contracting procedures. I can't imagine how much money something like that would end up costing, but I know there are a couple of Rio Tinto iron ore mines in WA that have gone to driverless haul trucks that would end up going out of service without that fibre optic connection. They turnout a few million in product every day. Your public liability insurance would evaporate pretty quickly even if you opted for the largest number Lloyd's would cover you for.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If your mining trucks grind to a halt because their Internet connection went down, isn’t that contributory negligence on your part?

Of course, even if it the Internet of poo poo was ruled to be 99% at fault (which seems generous), that 1% will still destroy the fibre‐eating idiots, so it’s an academic distinction.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Why aren't there two cables?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/EEB0w5v.mp4

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

nice the rio tinto has fibre running out into the middle of bumfuck nowhere so some drone jockey can drive a truck while thousands living in major metropolitan areas still cant get NBN :australia:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

nice the rio tinto has fibre running out into the middle of bumfuck nowhere so some drone jockey can drive a truck while thousands living in major metropolitan areas still cant get NBN :australia:
You try drawing a contiguous line through Australia that isn't 90% the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Platystemon posted:

If your mining trucks grind to a halt because their Internet connection went down, isn’t that contributory negligence on your part?

Of course, even if it the Internet of poo poo was ruled to be 99% at fault (which seems generous), that 1% will still destroy the fibre‐eating idiots, so it’s an academic distinction.

Well "internet connection went down" means something different when you're talking about a consumer-level service compared to a dedicated fibre connection forking off a trans-continental trunk. The driverless trucks just need too much bandwidth to do it any other way - they have multiple HD cameras on each one as well as LIDAR and radar connections.

Splicer posted:

They're rolling one out across the northern end of the country, but until then the one across the south is the only game in town.

edit: actually it looks like that might be stuck in committee, and even if it does go ahead, it still won't connect Port Hedland to Perth, making it fair useless for this stuff.

Splicer posted:

You try drawing a contiguous line through Australia that isn't 90% the middle of bumfuck nowhere.

Yeah, nahh.

Memento fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 8, 2018

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Splicer posted:

why don't they just lower the cable???

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Renegret posted:

why don't they just lower the cable???

No just raise the mine.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Trick question. To address the root cause everybody must move out of Australia.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Memento posted:

Drilling story

We had a subconsultant doing some geotech borings (use small augur to drill down 30-40 feet and take soil samples). We marked a location on the plans, they called Miss Utility who went out and marked the utilities 15-feet around the spot. When they got out there, the spot as marked had augur refusal (they hit concrete) so they needed to move the hole a bit - but the Miss Utility markings didn't leave them any spots that were sufficiently clear from the surrounding utilities.

So the driller's foreman got out his 'witching rods' and used them to locate the communications line that continued outside the marks towards the area they wanted to drill in. Witching Rods would work in this case because the communications line was basically a 6-inch bundle of copper wires, which conduct electricity, and his super-sensitive witching rods would cross over each other when he was in the vicinity of the communications cable. [Note - it turns out that witching rods use the same technology as dowsing rods, in that it is not technology and more accurately witchcraft]

Anyway, they obviously immediately hit the communications line and started bringing up pieces of insulated wire that looked something like this, before the wires wrapped up around the augur and brought it to a stop.

I think it ended up just being a few hundred thousand dollars for the emergency repairs.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd urge a further clarification, they're not witchcraft, they're bullshit. I'm not saying witchcraft works, but it's sometimes used to describe things that work but people don't know why

Did he get fired?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Devor posted:

small augur

A dwarven clairvoyant?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

quote:

the owner of a tin mine (the element tin, not tin as in cans...)

:raise:

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

B-Rock452 posted:

Its extremely not mind/work safe but if you head to north american rescue's Facebook page they have an example of what happens if you put the wrong type of blade into an electric saw. They also have a nice write up of why despite looking horrific it's not really that big a deal and the guy survived following a simple surgery.

That's good stuff but the heart beating through a giant hole in a guy is even better. That is a pro click page.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

"Tin" cans aren't made of tin, and haven't been for half a century. They're aluminium or steel.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

New, short USCSB video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEtpUmYs1kg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

GotLag posted:

"Tin" cans aren't made of tin, and haven't been for half a century. They're aluminium or steel.

Some cans still have a tin coating on the inside.

Did you know that the lead in lead paint isn't the same as the "lead" in pencils?