Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

No Safe Word posted:

I mean, the Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo is a pretty good dude, y'all

That guy has probably been all over the state in the past 5 years because he’s constantly fired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

there's not much to do there and the terrain is barren and devoid of trees so people might go a little nuts

Last time I passed through there, I was struck by the number of people that I saw casually spitting.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Sardonik posted:

I am baffled yet intrigued.

Looking at Amarillo on google maps, I am also weirded out by the layout of the roads. What horrors lay beneath these perfect yet slightly off-kilter grids?

Amarillo is a city pretty much because there needed to be a city in a reasonable proximity to all the surrounding areas. Likely because it lay along a main east to west trade route. A literal and figurative way station between the ultimate destinations. No one ever thinks I'm going to Amarillo to live my dreams. You're there because you were born there or got stuck there on the way to somewhere else.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I remember Art Acevedo going on the Alex Jones show and talking about growing up his family would stash anti-Castro guerrillas in their house in Florida and how "the only good communist is a dead communist" or something like that lol

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Sardonik posted:

What horrors lay beneath these perfect yet slightly off-kilter grids?

Nukes

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I remember Art Acevedo going on the Alex Jones show and talking about growing up his family would stash anti-Castro guerrillas in their house in Florida and how "the only good communist is a dead communist" or something like that lol

what the gently caress, seriously

hahaha there are TONS of these. i was totally unaware

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=alex+jones+art+acevedo

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Oct 7, 2018

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Skex posted:

Amarillo is a city pretty much because there needed to be a city in a reasonable proximity to all the surrounding areas. Likely because it lay along a main east to west trade route. A literal and figurative way station between the ultimate destinations. No one ever thinks I'm going to Amarillo to live my dreams. You're there because you were born there or got stuck there on the way to somewhere else.

As someone who's visited Amarillo and spent nearly a decade in Lubbock that sounds about right. Lubbuck is about a 2 hour drive south and about the same: just a city that sprung into existence because you need a central hub every so often to service the farms/ranches/oil pumps in the panhandle. The only difference is that it then got to seat a major state university in the mid-20's which helped it grow that much bigger.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yes, the nation's sole nuclear weapons assembly and disassembly plant, ensuring Amarillo would be wiped off the map in the event of a nuclear war with Russia

Along with most of the rest of the country too, granted

Although the risk of an accidental detonation seems real enough that the DoE has encased the nukes in giant dome bunkers a few miles east of the city.

On the plus side we know where we'd get the irradiated, two-headed cows from the Fallout universe.

i say swears online posted:

There ya go. Yeah I don't know why Austin finally sent him packing but underneath his tendency to sob for the cameras, there's a hardened would-be enforcer of Batista 2: Cuban Boogaloo

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Oct 7, 2018

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Alkydere posted:

As someone who's visited Amarillo and spent nearly a decade in Lubbock that sounds about right. Lubbuck is about a 2 hour drive south and about the same: just a city that sprung into existence because you need a central hub every so often to service the farms/ranches/oil pumps in the panhandle. The only difference is that it then got to seat a major state university in the mid-20's which helped it grow that much bigger.

amarillo and lubbock's metro areas are almost identical in population, strangely

There ya go. Yeah I don't know why Austin finally sent him packing but underneath his tendency to sob for the cameras, there's a hardened would-be enforcer of Batista 2: Cuban Boogaloo

my dad loves acevedo for reasons i could never grasp, i guess that makes sense

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

amarillo and lubbock's metro areas are almost identical in population, strangely

But Lubbock has a large transient student population as well, and Texas Tech brings in mad cash from grants and the students themselves which means Lubbock has a few areas built up to be nice/expensive.

75% of Lubbock looks more or less the same as Amarillo though: worn but cared for and covered in a permanent layer of dust.

Wolf Pussy
Jul 7, 2016

by R. Dieovich

Amarillo By Morning did more for humanity than anything out of Texas Tech ever will.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:stare:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Well, this puts a nice little bow on everything I knew about Art.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Alkydere posted:

Also, the major regional university in the Amarillo area (West Texas A&M) is in Canyon, like 10 miles south. It's not as big as Texas Tech by any means, but it means the development is gonna be slightly split.

Amarillo sucks but honestly its food isn't that bad. It just needs a costco :(

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

We were not paying him enough, that or we are not a big enough city to give him the admiration he desired.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

there's not much to do there and the terrain is barren and devoid of trees so people might go a little nuts

But do they have a Buckey's?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Parrotine posted:

But do they have a Buckey's?

Uh, excuse me it's spelled Bucc'eez

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

No Safe Word posted:

I mean, the Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo is a pretty good dude, y'all

he's a loving lunatic Alex Jones type who keeps getting fired because he's too stupid to be a cop.

He's too stupid to be a cop.

That's worryingly stupid

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

:siren: Reminder that Tuesday is the last day to register to vote. :siren:

You can either go to your county tax office and do it in person (list of offices here: https://www.sos.texas.gov/elections/voter/votregduties.shtml) or get a form and send it in by October 9. In Travis County at least you can pick up a form at public libraries, post offices, and a lot of grocery stores. They should already have paid postage. I imagine this is similar for other large cities.

If you moved within the same county and need to update your address, you can do that here: https://txapps.texas.gov/tolapp/sos/SOSACManager

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

sexpig by night posted:

he's a loving lunatic Alex Jones type who keeps getting fired because he's too stupid to be a cop.

He's too stupid to be a cop.

That's worryingly stupid

Are we talking about the same guy? He was chief in Austin for 9+ years, and got hired away for a better position, not fired.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Acevedo always seemed like one of those "cool cops" who people seem to like for vague reasons. But he says stuff like this:

quote:

Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo apologized Saturday for comments he made during a press conference about the arrest of a jogger for jaywalking near the UT campus. During that press conference, Acevedo said that "In other cities there's cops who are actually committing sexual assaults on duty, so I thank God that this is what passes for a controversy in Austin, Texas."

Of course, the chance that no APD officers commit sexual assault on duty under Acevedo was basically 0%.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Wasn't he disliked by the police union and other brass for wanting to make Austin PD more accountable on things?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

:siren: Reminder that Tuesday is the last day to register to vote. :siren:

You can either go to your county tax office and do it in person (list of offices here: https://www.sos.texas.gov/elections/voter/votregduties.shtml) or get a form and send it in by October 9. In Travis County at least you can pick up a form at public libraries, post offices, and a lot of grocery stores. They should already have paid postage. I imagine this is similar for other large cities.

If you moved within the same county and need to update your address, you can do that here: https://txapps.texas.gov/tolapp/sos/SOSACManager

Also you can apparently register at the dessert gallery I found out the other day, if you live in Houston.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You can check to see if you're registered here
https://teamrv-mvp.sos.texas.gov/MVP/mvp.do

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Jiro posted:

Wasn't he disliked by the police union and other brass for wanting to make Austin PD more accountable on things?

Yea he publicly supported black lives matter and that was the end of it for Austin

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Got some interesting competing narratives for the story of Art Acevedo in here

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
I didn't know about the InfoWars thing, which is pretty funny and at least it looks like most of them predate Jones going all right wing crazy instead of lovable Austin goofball crazy (dunno when he begin his decline so don't quote). But the BLM matter thing was in the news a lot ( https://www.statesman.com/news/20160816/acevedo-no-comment-on-union-criticism-for-appearing-with-activists ; https://www.statesman.com/NEWS/20160915/Austin-Police-Chief-Art-Acevedo-punished-in-David-Joseph-case) and he bailed to Houston like two months later. Stories came out that he had a strained relationship with the city, but the city gave him a pay raise to keep him from going to San Antonio not long before he went to Houston, so who knows.

Some people liked him and some people didn't, but the idea that he kept getting fired is just wrong. You can look it up. He started with CHP in 86, became chief of CHP in 2005, became chief of APD in 2006, and chief of HPD in 2016.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I remember that some audio leaked of him berating commanders after a bad shoot Article here. He was crosswise with the union for firing the cop that shot that naked kid, or at least that's what he says.

He says all the right things in the audio but, there was also some speculation that the audio leaked on purpose and it was more of a show than substantial.

quote:

“The union got all pissed off because I fired Freeman,” he told the group. “Some of you might have gotten pissed off. I’m going to tell you right now, if we have another Freeman tomorrow, that is what’s going to happen. I didn’t lose a minute of sleep. If you can’t handle a kid in broad daylight, naked, and your first instinct is to come out with your gun, and your next instinct is to shoot the kid dead, you don’t need to be a cop. I don’t give a poo poo how nice you are.”

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
that was leaked audio, too, right?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

zoux posted:

Just to be clear, if this site says I’m registered (well it says I will be on 10/12), I don’t have to worry about any of the vote.org shenanigans? I sent in a voting application by mail, but it may have come from there.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
I believe so. I would check with your county dept of elections as well.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Just to warn people; when I check that site it tells me I'm NOT registered (I moved recently), but I called the Travis County Tax Office to confirm last week and they've got my new address and say I'm registered to vote, so it would be prudent to just get in touch with a live human just to be safe.

Wolf Pussy
Jul 7, 2016

by R. Dieovich
https://twitter.com/barstoolnewsn/status/1049377632402505729?s=21

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Welp, guess I'm a Ted Cruz man now.

Wolf Pussy
Jul 7, 2016

by R. Dieovich
Ted Cruz has murdered a lot more than the dab.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I was already going to vote for him but killing the dab would never lose my vote

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Beto this is the opposite of punk rock how could you.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

zoux posted:

Just double checking but does this mean I'm good or need to reregister tomorrow?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Spacebump posted:

Just double checking but does this mean I'm good or need to reregister tomorrow?

Likely good! Check for the Voter Status tag under that. If it's ACTIVE, you're set (but tbh double check tomorrow morning because why not).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

isk posted:

Likely good! Check for the Voter Status tag under that. If it's ACTIVE, you're set (but tbh double check tomorrow morning because why not).

Thank you, the site says active. I figured I was good but am paranoid and wanted to make sure.