Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What other dead Sega franchise should be brought back?
Skies of Arcadia
Samba de Amigo
NiGHTS
Sakura Wars - wait, they actually are making a new one of those?
View Results

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
it's there for the last stand/inspire mechanic tutorial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

and then Raz did something stupid

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Really Pants posted:

and then Raz did something stupid

pretty sure that's the official subtitle of 4

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Postgame spoiler.
For all the terrible that was Raz:
"Told you I was invincible" was pretty great.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Raz is also cool in Chapter 7 but not nearly enough to make up for his Leeroy Jenkins rear end-grabbing ways

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

a soldier being a terrible person is the first realistic part of these games imo

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Raz is invincible and as such deserves a place in the front lines.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
i've got to say

my favorite part of the narrative of this game is how in one and three (and to a degree two) the bad dudes had a mega-tank or whatever on a path straight to the gallian capital.

here you do, instead.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I finished chapter 8 because I'm kinda slow going these days I guess.

So we have the mad scientist who killed Rileys parents, some super soldiers including the local Valkyria and Kai who is probably here because of some Darcsen thing because they haven't rang that bell so far and it's kinda weird. Walz and his war casanova shtick not knowing what the gently caress to do with these people is great.

I wonder who our secret Valkyria is. I bet it's Minerva, she has the biggest cans on the protag side.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

General Morden posted:

it's there for the last stand/inspire mechanic tutorial

Except that it certainly didn't trigger for me when I didn't realize what a trap that starting position was and put someone there. Just had them gunned down by super tank as it drove by and that was it. It's really not a great design decision giving you those deployment points.

Honestly, I'm still not certain what allows it to be triggered or not. It's either RNG and/or for individuals at PFC/Corporal rank only, I think. At least from my brief experience with the mechanic.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Anyone knows if there's any site still selling old Pre-order keys? I really want my Squad 7 shenanigans.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah those 2 spots in Siegval 3 was the it begins moment of the game doing cheap stuff.

Hell something I've come to realized, maps where there isn't a boss are all good and fun. Maps where there are boss characters are aggravating as gently caress.

E: Exception being that depot mission

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Command was impressed with how you cheated Kai's training, they've sent a reward

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Really Pants posted:

Command was impressed with how you cheated Kai's training, they've sent a reward

Unfortunately, ups tracking shows it got rerouted into not Japan. Expect the package in about 7 years or so.

Speaking of, is there anything on that place beyond the sequel hook that is the scout you get from there?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

It's not a sequel hook, most of the games had some manner of foreign national, relatively speaking, running around. Azusa is just a ninja.

edit: I got an a-rank on everything but sieg-line one and three and, for some reason, tank boys... the only real difficult thing in the normal game was the evil duo deciding to dodge a lot, geez.

edit 2: that is a powerful minstrel boy

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Oct 7, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's not a sequel hook, most of the games had some manner of foreign national, relatively speaking, running around. Azusa is just a ninja.

edit: I got an a-rank on everything but sieg-line one and three and, for some reason, tank boys... the only real difficult thing in the normal game was the evil duo deciding to dodge a lot, geez.

That is why you sneak up behind them and shoot them in the head with stormtroopers.

Edit: gently caress chapter 15.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I swear to whatever denominational deity exists in VC, Raz, if you get Kai hurt again...

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

edit 2: that is a powerful minstrel boy

Her postgame lines are basically, "Something is up over there. War?"

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Only just up to the missions of chapter 8, but... Whoa at the stats and potentials of the new scout leader you get.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

scout leader in a nutshell:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, there's already a sequel in 2. Every other single game is taken place in the VC1 war.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Jesus are you really expected to not just Cactus-rush past all of that total bullshit in Recovery of the Comet?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Really Pants posted:

lol why does Siegval Part 3 even have that southwest starting position

I'm thinking a developer legit forgot about it.

They could have at least started them automatically crouching, but nope, they just get comically and immediately mowed down by lead

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

It does serve as a nice introduction to Walz. It perfectly sets the tone for all your encounters with him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tae posted:

I mean, there's already a sequel in 2. Every other single game is taken place in the VC1 war.

i think we'd all prefer to pretend 2 doesn't exist

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it has an airship tho that's as close to skies of arcadia you'll ever be again

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

If they ever port it to pc I'd probably pick it up on sale and play it for masochism and curiosity's sake. Like surely it can't be as bad as it's been made out to be.
...right?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

If they ever port it to pc I'd probably pick it up on sale and play it for masochism and curiosity's sake. Like surely it can't be as bad as it's been made out to be.
...right?

it's a psp game designed to be played on and off, largely mobile. It has relatively few maps and tends to use them repetitively, for padding. And not even like VC4's reusing, just the same map but different starting camps and placement, no blocking anything off.

And it has effectively Valkyria boss units as reoccuring mooks. And it's also high school. It mostly faceplants on account of the padding issue. Three on the flipside has shades of its other problems but just plays like a regular game with some map-reuse and is much better for it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

...right?

The MC decides the best way to cure his friend of her phobia to blood and color blindness, both caused by the deaths of her family right in front of her, was to shoot himself and force her to deal with it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The real problem with VC2 is that it has one of the worst promotion systems I've ever seen. Materials are only gotten off grinding maps, and they're based on whoever is the MVP (most kills or captures).

Meaning the person you want to promote has to be MVP, get the rng to hit the right item, etc.

Oh, best thing is that since classes are individual, that means every single character needs this individual grinding.

Also, changing classes isn't free. You have to regrind all over again if you want to switch classes (because you carry over abilities).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the grind's godawful, the story is worse, and avan is the worst of all. the actual gameplay is mostly fine.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

VC2 is the most anime it has ever been. Which is saying a lot since VC3 was about two waifus fighting over that generic protagonist dick. And even VC1 had those moments with the hot springs and Auschwitz episodes back to back, and some moon logic about how you should only defeat the Soviet German emperor with the power of love instead of laser bombs. Or something.

Like obviously anime is still all over the place with VC4 but honestly it's a huge step up in restraint. The story is too straightforward to jump the shark in a major way, and instead of milking melodrama the middle chapter of the game is about how much marching in snow sucks.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Honestly, I did like VC2's use of smaller maps that were interconnected through capturing bases. The lack of a need to run huge distances all the time did a lot to make scouts less overpowered.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Clarste posted:

Honestly, I did like VC2's use of smaller maps that were interconnected through capturing bases. The lack of a need to run huge distances all the time did a lot to make scouts less overpowered.

that's why 3 was good, because it had both that and fencers.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

that's why 3 was good, because it had both that and fencers.
Except that fencers were ludicrously overpowered in 2 and basically unusable in 3 thanks to the fact that intercept fire actually hurt in 3 and fencers got their defense cut down to lancer level while still being super slow.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So is it possible for grenadiers to actually hit the weak points of tanks with luck or does the game just lie to you?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I haven't managed it yet. Grenadiers with Elias mortars are still handy for their AP-draining intercept fire, or body kills if you've got the CP to spare.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
AT Grenadiers can also easily kill gatling guns and other stationary weapons, because those count of having tank armor even though it's just a guy with a gun.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

So is it possible for grenadiers to actually hit the weak points of tanks with luck or does the game just lie to you?

Consistently, the higher levels actually get reasonably accurate.

Even at low levels it deletes the need for lancers except when the game very specifically throws special tanks with covered tops at you.

And then you just use a trooper with demo burst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It’s a bit finicky but I only use them to kill the special tank.

Any other AT duties get handled by the Hafen or a lancer in the rare time I actually need to kill a tank instead of 2fast2furious the APC past it.

Personally I got so fed up with grenadiers not one hitting gatlings and AT guns due to poo poo aim that once I hit the 3shot snipers i used Kai for it instead.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 8, 2018