Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I can sometimes see how neoliberals might truly believe that austerity is a good thing, or that trickle-down economics are real

But I can never understand how they can look at countries like the US and go "healthcare more like their system please, I'm not an evil piece of poo poo at all!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I can sometimes see how neoliberals might truly believe that austerity is a good thing, or that trickle-down economics are real

But I can never understand how they can look at countries like the US and go "healthcare more like their system please, I'm not an evil piece of poo poo at all!"

They never ever stop to make an assessment on that last part, just world fallacy and all.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
What is it with the term action plan that both Abbott and Shorten use it

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

*1920's newsy voice* it's not that, it's just that thems with the monies wants to pay less taxes mister. so they want to get rid of the things that costs thems the monies.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

This Everest Opera house poo poo is ridiculous. Alan jones is obviously using this as some kind of wedge to get Louise Herron out of the top position because he is sick of having concerts on the Opera House steps disturbing him. that can be the only explanation for him being so mad about it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Laserface posted:

This Everest Opera house poo poo is ridiculous. Alan jones is obviously using this as some kind of wedge to get Louise Herron out of the top position because he is sick of having concerts on the Opera House steps disturbing him. that can be the only explanation for him being so mad about it.
He’s financially tied to the gambling industry.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also he is an arrogant arsehole who hates people defying him. I don't doubt that he had some personal reason for caring initially but at this point it's just the principle of the thing.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

hambeet posted:

also jbp promising to join the greens in five years (back in 2013) if the alp internal party mechanics didn't improve
But they have ~improved~

hambeet posted:

there's some journos who could probably benefit from this policy
And a prolonged time out in the naughty chair.

Laserface posted:

Or possibly he's a pathetic bully who like belittling women?

https://www.2gb.com/battle-of-the-opera-house-ceos-go-head-to-head-in-explosive-interview/

I love how dumb Torys make their meaning and prejudice clear entirely by accident.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/scott-morrison-road-tests-fair-go-mantra

quote:

Expect to hear the words "a fair go for those who have a go" ad nauseam in coming months as Prime Minister Scott Morrison gears up for an election.

So if you are in the category of those who are not 'having a go' then get hosed. gently caress up and die. Deserving poor much? If you aren't 'having a go' expect us to stack the deck against you.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

It's just government regulation and bureaucracy still getting in the way of the free market.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Cartoon posted:

So if you are in the category of those who are not 'having a go' then get hosed. gently caress up and die. Deserving poor much? If you aren't 'having a go' expect us to stack the deck against you.

I actually had a pretty good chuckle yesterday when labor rolled out their “fair go action plan” and officially beat the libs to using the term they were obviously planning to use. That’s some grade A trolling right there.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

What is it with the term action plan that both Abbott and Shorten use it

I'm surprised you haven't heard it more often since working at NewsCorp. It's just corporate speak to make plans sound more interesting.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

they'll have the fair dinkum action plan and they can have a fair off

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

it should just be a fair action plan so they can fap all over us

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Fair shake of the sauce bottle action plan

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The GUARDIAN posted:

Asked if Australia would be held to the target to reduce emissions by 26% to 28% from 2005 levels, Morrison said: “No, we won’t … we’re not held to any of them at all. Nor are we bound to go and tip money into that big climate fund. We’re not going to do that either. I’m not going to spend money on global climate conferences and all that nonsense.”

Earlier, Morrison told 2GB the Paris target of 26% emissions reduction was “not going to touch electricity prices” and “not going to touch one job”.

Asked about the prospect of overturning Australia’s ban on nuclear energy, Morrison replied: “If I thought that this was going to have a big impact on Australia’s electricity prices I will do what is necessary to bring electricity prices down.

“I don’t have any issues about any of these [sort of things] … The issues there are the same issues everywhere – that the investment doesn’t stack up.”

Morrison praised the Hodgman government in Tasmania for the “battery of Australia” project to double pumped hydro capacity.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

hambeet posted:

*1920's newsy voice* it's not that, it's just that thems with the monies wants to pay less taxes mister. so they want to get rid of the things that costs thems the monies.

Listening to Morrison speak is driving me up the wall lately. He just says Labor want more taxes but then promises government money to prop up the GST or drought-affected farmers and what do you know, taxes don't get a mention when he does it

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The Liberal's messaging is just further dog whistling to lovely boomer/gen x sentiment that anyone who can't afford a house or manage to not live pay to pay are lazy stupids afraid of hard work.

I'm not sure what Labor are trying to do other than troll the gently caress out of the Liberals, which TBH is fine by me because I'm only voting for them as a second preference anyway.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I'm surprised you haven't heard it more often since working at NewsCorp. It's just corporate speak to make plans sound more interesting.

Mechanically though it's meant to be a plan with clear, outlined steps. I'll get asked to make an action plan to complete a certain project, for example.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I don’t like those plastic squeeze sauce bottles where the sauce hardens at the nozzle and you have to keep clearing it. Just wondering what happened to this country.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Listening to Morrison speak is driving me up the wall lately. He just says Labor want more taxes but then promises government money to prop up the GST or drought-affected farmers and what do you know, taxes don't get a mention when he does it

it's easier to catch him out than that, he wanted to cut $17b in taxes for the banks and then cries poor. they've done well writing the alp campaign for them, which means the alp will somehow turn around and boot the ball into their own goal.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I just want to see the look on Turnbull's face when they ring him up begging for advertising donations. I bet it's the one thing he's looking forward to in the coming year.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Political correctness gone mad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Political correctness gone mad.

Do they still have that walking route where men hang off the side and throw beer on women passing by while yelling show us your pink bits?

E: loving atrocious autocorrect

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Oct 8, 2018

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

ewe2 posted:

I just want to see the look on Turnbull's face when they ring him up begging for advertising donations. I bet it's the one thing he's looking forward to in the coming year.

As if that habitual capitulator wouldn't do it, though. He'll continue to white-ant Abbott like the invertebrate he is, but he still serves queen & colony.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JBP posted:

Dog they still have that walking route where men hang off the side and throw beer on when passing by while yelling show us your pink bits?

I think that's Summernats but wouldn't be surprised if it happened at Bathurst too

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

*does a burnout in support of farmers, impacting the climate together*

I support are farmers.

Sorry sometimes Facebook is hilarious.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Rural Australia is a billion times spookier than anywhere else because of those cars.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

snoremac posted:

He’s financially tied to the gambling industry.

More precisely in the case of hrose racing, he has interests in horse studs.

http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/episodes/ignoring-the-breeding-obvious/9975480

News Corpse also have heavy ties to the gambling industry

https://www.crikey.com.au/2016/10/10/the-latest-news-corp-buy-behind-its-war-on-greyhounds/

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Fucks sake.

I just despair, especially at the IPCC report. Why does the govt fund CSIRO then just ignore them??? :(

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

froglet posted:

Fucks sake.

I just despair, especially at the IPCC report. Why does the govt fund CSIRO then just ignore them??? :(

Because they don't want to fund them either, they're trying to kill them via a thousand cuts

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

snoremac posted:

I don’t like those plastic squeeze sauce bottles where the sauce hardens at the nozzle and you have to keep clearing it. Just wondering what happened to this country.

This isn't a problem if you have sauce with every meal.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

JBP posted:

Rural Australia is a billion times spookier than anywhere else because of those cars.

Once again WA proves it is better than NSW by banning that type of bullbar.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

froglet posted:

Fucks sake.

Because the government hates anyone who has an opposing view to them.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

You Am I posted:

Because the government hates anyone who has an opposing view to them.

And coal is good for humanity*

*Offer void in low lying areas

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The world will easily pass the point of climate no return in 2050 but who gives a gently caress at least I will be able to watch it all burn as an old man who already enjoyed his best years.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

The world will easily pass the point of climate no return in 2050 but who gives a gently caress at least I will be able to watch it all burn as an old man who already enjoyed his best years.

Look at this gloating gently caress, enjoying his best years.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

norp posted:

And coal is good for humanity*

*Offer void on Earth

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

Look at this gloating gently caress, enjoying his best years.

Its ok, I'll be dead well before 2050 and will make sure I haunt the gently caress out of him so he won't be able to enjoy anything.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

At least I'll get to watch m/billions die, wait what??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

quote:

Chin Leong Tan, Australia's new race discrimination commissioner, sees his role very differently to predecessor Tim Soutphommasane. For one thing, he is not inclined to commentary or advocacy

If I said I wasn’t inclined to do my job I’d probably be sacked but good for him for being honest

• Locked thread