Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

wait even low speed stuff stuff like the xmm 7120m?

no loving wonder lte-m and nb-IOT is all Qualcomm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

intel sold xscale so what else are they going to do, i860?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
8031/8051 are a thing as was (is?) i960

(pretty amazing though just how much high end graphics stuff was once “throw an array of i860 chips and a ton of RAM at the problem”)

travelling wave
Nov 25, 2013

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

intel sold xscale so what else are they going to do, i860?

embedded itanium

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

finally it's HPUX time to shine

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

how well does the space gray coloring on the MacBook Pros hold up over time?

great, it’s the keyboard that’ll get you

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eschaton posted:

8031/8051 are a thing as was (is?) i960

(pretty amazing though just how much high end graphics stuff was once “throw an array of i860 chips and a ton of RAM at the problem”)

remember the few times they tried to release a discrete graphics card of their own?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

remember the few times they tried to release a discrete graphics card of their own?
good news, they've announced a discrete gaming gpu for 2020

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

I don’t but I do remember the “4860” workstation motherboard an HPC company advertised in BYTE that had both an 80486 and an 80860 on it and could run their UNIX port

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they made the i740, a first gen agp card with possibly the worst architecture imaginable. on-board vram was framebuffer only, it stored texture data in system ram. needless to say it got owned by pretty much everything on the market

there were a few attempts at a second generation that solved the vram issues, but it died out pretty quick and basically left the discreet gpu market to nvidia, amd, and 3dfx(lol)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

they made the i740, a first gen agp card with possibly the worst architecture imaginable. on-board vram was framebuffer only, it stored texture data in system ram. needless to say it got owned by pretty much everything on the market

there were a few attempts at a second generation that solved the vram issues, but it died out pretty quick and basically left the discreet gpu market to nvidia, amd, and 3dfx(lol)

RIP 3dfx never forget the voodoo 5 5500, the card of my dreams (as a dumb kid who doesnt know poo poo and still doesnt)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

glide 4 lyfe

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

hey, that’s Luigi30’s line!

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

The Management posted:

in a rare response, Apple unequivocally tells Bloomberg to get hosed

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018/10/what-businessweek-got-wrong-about-apple/

not sure which is easier for China: pressuring some sub-supplier to hide/sub this part in the BoM to one that's compromised, or just compromising the flashing station that's running a pirated copy of WinXP so it loads your software on instead, then once the job is done bricking the 40 GB HD that's been around for like 15 years already so the line supervisor just assumes it's failed and any evidence gets thrown away.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

hobbesmaster posted:

wait even low speed stuff stuff like the xmm 7120m?

no loving wonder lte-m and nb-IOT is all Qualcomm

for the first couple models after intel bought infineon they still used arm cores, but they're atoms now.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
fwiw, if the whole story is bunk, Apple's statement has a wholly unnecessary adverb (never found hardware exploit "purposely planted") which means the statement is technically true even if they did find implants but they don't think that they were targeted by whoever did the implanting

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

prisoner of waffles posted:

fwiw, if the whole story is bunk, Apple's statement has a wholly unnecessary adverb (never found hardware exploit "purposely planted") which means the statement is technically true even if they did find implants but they don't think that they were targeted by whoever did the implanting

congratulations jensen, you've cracked the case. you'll make lieutenant for sure now

mewse
May 2, 2006

I was thinking amazon/apple/US intelligence might really not want the story to be out because they wanted to feed garbage to the chinese

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

congratulations jensen, you've cracked the case. you'll make lieutenant for sure now

*shrug* Amazon's statement is, in comparison, much harder to make compatible with the story

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.
Attempting to read between the lines and understand What's Really Going On re nation state-and-megacorp intelligence ops as a member of the general public is already a silly game. I'm playing anyway because it's interesting how

did anyone ever think how

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

gently caress how

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i, and i ever shall until the stars no longer hang in the firmament above, love how

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

just sprinkle some spy chips on him, open and shut case!

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

I feel bad about that post, it was really sarcastic and lovely. sorry waffle prisoner

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

also, the story says, like, 30 US companies were supposedly hit, so it seems the Chinese gov’t was either casting a wide net and hoping they’d get something useful, or were (mainly) targeting apple/amazon/etc but used a scattergun approach due to the difficulty of only compromising servers bound for those companies.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

gently caress how

...in the butt?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

take my rice grain

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
companies like amazon, Apple, and google have been aware of these kinds of attack vectors for a long time. there are measures in place to prevent them from happening. that is all.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Management posted:

companies like amazon, Apple, and google have been aware of these kinds of attack vectors for a long time. there are measures in place to prevent them from happening. that is all.

Too bad it took them years to prevent specks of dust from destroying their products

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

I feel bad about that post, it was really sarcastic and lovely. sorry waffle prisoner

ur good km,pe

It's a totally okay objection to / burn on what I said and I'm happy to hold on to my truth and admit the extent to which my poasts do or do not have any value

not top tier poasts, not bottom tier poasts. somewhere in the middle. (trapped... by the waffles)

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Kobayashi posted:

Too bad it took them years to prevent specks of dust from destroying their products

you got it all backwards, it took them years to develop a way for their products to reliably break immediately after the warranty expires

the challenge was to make a perfectly bad keyboard

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

r u ready to WALK posted:

the challenge was to make a perfectly bad keyboard

FOR YOU TO POAST ON!

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

i had a 13 inch 2017 for a year and never had keyboard issues.
my 2018 (i don't upgrade year by year but got a good deal so the new one was only ~200 bux) works 4 me

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
do you guys think my motherboard, an ASUS ROG MAXIMUM VIII EXTREME ALPHA has this hack put on it?

should i be worried?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

why would anyone want to steal YOUR data

oh boy check out these pirated animes and sexual roleplay logs

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

SRQ posted:

why would anyone want to steal YOUR data

oh boy check out these pirated animes and sexual roleplay logs

*clutches roleplay logs* haha, yeah

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Beast of Bourbon posted:

do you guys think my motherboard, an ASUS ROG MAXIMUM VIII EXTREME ALPHA has this hack put on it?

should i be worried?

if there's a fake heat sink in the shape of a gun then you're safe

otherwise you've been hack by cHiNa~*~kReW >:)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

SRQ posted:

under some circumstances a 2017 mbp may survive for up to 12 months

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
http://www.asymco.com/2018/10/04/traffic-acquisition-costs/#comment-4132894931

based on the 'other' numbers it looks plausible that Google is now paying 9 billion a year to apple to be the default search engine, ie 6-7% of their revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

http://www.asymco.com/2018/10/04/traffic-acquisition-costs/#comment-4132894931

based on the 'other' numbers it looks plausible that Google is now paying 9 billion a year to apple to be the default search engine, ie 6-7% of their revenue.

i'd guess that's totally worth it