Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

I don't get it, she's still voting for a white supremacist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ChrisEvans/status/1049031112029360128

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I can’t remember why nazis liked Taylor swift, apart from being white that is

I think someone called her racist or something maybe and that’s why they started liking her?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Reclines Obesily posted:

I think someone called her racist or something maybe and that’s why they started liking her?

she was politically aloof which they correctly identified as likely pro-fash

also blonde and blue eyes country singing woman

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah this

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
If someone can find photos of her in a wheat field maybe we can prove the statement is a fake

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Epic High Five posted:

there are tons of those tho.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

most of them are likely pro-fash ya

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Her father is some kind of Mercer-level conservative as well (in terms of beliefs, not influence).

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Reclines Obesily posted:

there was some dumb article that used some really sketchy arguments to suggest that she's a secret nazi.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/6/16613656/taylor-swift-first-amendment-lawsuit-aclu-nazi-kkk-lyrics

https://qz.com/1137806/a-complete-list-of-brands-white-supremacists-have-given-their-unwanted-endorsement/

plus a lot of 4chan telephone game rumor mill poo poo.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Reclines Obesily posted:

kanye

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Taylor Swift is antifa now

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
miss swift.......welcum 2 the #resistnance

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Wasn't Hannah Arendt also a white supremacist

e: From that same book, ,The Origins of Totalitarianism, whose essential argument is that authoritarianism was invented when Europeans were corrupted by the savagery of African society:

"The Boers were the first European group to become completely alienated from the pride which Western man felt in living in a world created and fabricated by himself. They treated the natives as raw material and lived on them as one might live on the fruits of wild trees. Lazy and unproductive, they agreed to vegetate on essentially the same level as the black tribes had vegetated for thousands of years. The great horror which had seized European men at their first confrontation with native life was stimulated by precisely this touch of inhumanity among human beings who apparently were as much a part of nature as wild animals. The Boers lived on their slaves exactly the way natives had lived on an unprepared and unchanged nature. When the Boers, in their fright and misery, decided to use these savages as though they were just another form of animal life, they embarked upon a process which could only end with their own degeneration into a white race living beside and together with black races from whom in the end they would differ only in the color of their skin."

Algund Eenboom has issued a correction as of 03:45 on Oct 8, 2018

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Reclines Obesily posted:

I can’t remember why nazis liked Taylor swift, apart from being white

let me stop you right there

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC Tila Tequila went alt right after getting literal brain damage

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC Tila Tequila went alt right after getting literal brain damage

she didn't go altright, she thinks she's literally the reincarnation of hitler

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

CharlestheHammer posted:

She's got a kind of teenagey look even into her 20's, and well, if there's one thing we know about the alt-right....

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Taylor Swift is antifa now

https://twitter.com/ali/status/1049100323250458624

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

mmm yes that's the good stuff

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

stabbed in the back by our own waifu -__-;

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i love the narrative that antifa has anything to do with the democratic party instead of mostly being made up of people who would also punch a middle east droning democrat's teeth out if they had the chance

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/ali/status/1049126196175405057

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Algund Eenboom posted:

Wasn't Hannah Arendt also a white supremacist

e: From that same book, ,The Origins of Totalitarianism, whose essential argument is that authoritarianism was invented when Europeans were corrupted by the savagery of African society:

"The Boers were the first European group to become completely alienated from the pride which Western man felt in living in a world created and fabricated by himself. They treated the natives as raw material and lived on them as one might live on the fruits of wild trees. Lazy and unproductive, they agreed to vegetate on essentially the same level as the black tribes had vegetated for thousands of years. The great horror which had seized European men at their first confrontation with native life was stimulated by precisely this touch of inhumanity among human beings who apparently were as much a part of nature as wild animals. The Boers lived on their slaves exactly the way natives had lived on an unprepared and unchanged nature. When the Boers, in their fright and misery, decided to use these savages as though they were just another form of animal life, they embarked upon a process which could only end with their own degeneration into a white race living beside and together with black races from whom in the end they would differ only in the color of their skin."

just swap out Boers with English and blacks for the Irish, and it's the same loving thing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Al! posted:

i love the narrative that antifa has anything to do with the democratic party instead of mostly being made up of people who would also punch a middle east droning democrat's teeth out if they had the chance

Or that low black unemployment can be ascribed to anything Trump or any member of the GOP has done

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Data Graham posted:

Or that low black unemployment can be ascribed to anything Trump or any member of the GOP has done

"He's taking away the safety net/free lunch!"

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Happy that I can now use this against the libertarians who bring her up.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Data Graham posted:

More black people in prison = fewer unemployed!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

it's the height of irony that she wrote The Banality of Evil because she was just as lame as every other European dipshit.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

She was also in favor of segregation: “[It is] quite possible that the achievement of social, economic, and education equality for the Negro may sharpen the color problem in this country instead of assuaging it... [it burdens] children, black or white, with the working out of a problem which adults for generations have confessed themselves unable to solve..." Who couldve predicted that someone who equates the USSR and Nazi Germany was bad

If anyone else is interested this is a good essay on the topic here

GorgonLiker
Oct 7, 2018

Look me in the eyes, at least.
iirc black unemployment and unemployment in general are "lower" because the metrics only track people who are actively seeking employment, or who report wanting employment but not being able to find it. Something like that. So based on my own experience in my own town it's less that people are even compromising by accepting minimum wage underemployment (though that's a huge part of it) and more that people are saying, "Okay well gently caress this" and moving to the gray/black market economy, thus effectively falling off these metrics completely (and, oh joy oh joy, placing everyone involved at risk of being thrown into the prison industrial complex).

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
It’s a shame Kanye deleted his social media yet again

swift could get him trending for more than 4 hours now that his fans have tuned our of his stupid conspiracy/politics crap

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Don't sign your tweets.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Algund Eenboom posted:

She was also in favor of segregation: “[It is] quite possible that the achievement of social, economic, and education equality for the Negro may sharpen the color problem in this country instead of assuaging it... [it burdens] children, black or white, with the working out of a problem which adults for generations have confessed themselves unable to solve..." Who couldve predicted that someone who equates the USSR and Nazi Germany was bad

Link seems to be broken.

https://archive.org/stream/pdfy-llWfc0Y5NKFMfEtO/Pietz-William-The-Post-colonialism-of-Cold-War-Discourses_djvu.txt

This oughtta work.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Algund Eenboom posted:

I just never really read her stuff so I didn’t know the liberals hero was a racist. Thanks for the info.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Thank you for fixing the link. I also heard from Twitter that she collaborated with Heidegger to snitch on Jewish university students to the Nazis, and although she was in a relationship with Heidegger while he was in the Nazi party, is there any proof of that specificly? Because even if Arendt is a bad person that's a wild allegation

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Crowsbeak I just want you to know yer my favorite tankie. I put most of the rest on ignore, but not you...
I like... like reading your posts even if they're crazy. :shobon:

*runs away from row of lockers really fast*

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

The same structure of argument
appears in the 1951 book which lent an academic respectability to the new
theoretical discourse about totalitarianism. This was The Origins of Totalitarian-
ism by the reactionary political philosopher Hannah Arendt. Her theory of
totalitarianism must be understood in the context of Arendt's lifelong
Heideggerian project of destroying every category basic to leftist political
thought (above all, the concept of labor) according to a reactionary nostalgia for
the political life of the Greek city-state (at least, as the world of the polis was
conceived in the fantasies of thinkers such as herself and Leo Strauss).

For Arendt, the rise of "totalitarianism" means that "the essential structure
of all civilizations is at the breaking point," that it threatens to destroy the essence
of man," that for the first time in history "absolute evil appears," that "history
itself is destroyed."^^ For Arendt, totalitarianism's novelty resides in the func-
tional interdependence of ideology (whether Nazi or communist — she even
equates the Nazi vision of a master race with the communist ideal of a classless
society) with arbitrary, total terror. The coupling of absolute ideology with
arbitrary terror, that is, of blindly hyper-rationalistic conformance to the logic
of an idea (whose true appeal is its appeasement of one's sense of insecurity)
with the release of a sub-rational power of pure caprice in the form of arbitrary
police terror, is another version of the double-structured discourse about
ideology embraced by anticommunist intellectuals wishing to deny any responsi-
bility for fascism on the part of "Western civilization."

Arendt's particular contribution was to argue that totalitarianism was, in
fact, the historical product of colonialism, an argument she developed in order
to locate the true side of arbitrary social terror, and of racism as well, outside
Europe, in "tribal" Africa. Arendt's argument only makes sense in the context of
her general political philosophy (most clearly articulated in the The Human
Condition)^ which is at bottom a reaction against Marxist theory. Arendt's
philosophy is based on her distinction between "labor" and "work": "labor" is the
never-ending process of satisfying our organic, bodily needs; it is contemptible,
though — like sex — necessary, because it relates only to our animal species being.
There is nothing essentially human about labor. "Work," on the other hand,
involves the production of objects which endure and which build a specifically
human environment (the city), which for the first time in history clears a space
of appearance for action revealing the essence of what it is to be human, that is,
political action.
But the modern world is characterized by the intrusion of
properly private, biological concerns into the public space of politics; with the
French Revolution, a new actor steps onto the public stage of politics, "the
mob," a rootless deterritorialized mass of proletarians.

Arendt argues that "the political principles of the mob [are to be] encoun-
tered in imperialist ideologies and totalitarian movement."^ ^
To understand
Arendt's oracular pronouncement that "the organization of the mob will inevitably
take the form of the transformation of nations into races,"^^ one must follow
her argument about the corruption of the European mentality by contact with
the primitive societies of black Africa.

drat.

Hannah Arendt was a dumbass.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Where’s this heroes check mark jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

GorgonLiker posted:

iirc black unemployment and unemployment in general are "lower" because the metrics only track people who are actively seeking employment, or who report wanting employment but not being able to find it. Something like that. So based on my own experience in my own town it's less that people are even compromising by accepting minimum wage underemployment (though that's a huge part of it) and more that people are saying, "Okay well gently caress this" and moving to the gray/black market economy, thus effectively falling off these metrics completely (and, oh joy oh joy, placing everyone involved at risk of being thrown into the prison industrial complex).

Yeah, there's a variety of metrics that state actual unemployment better than what the media reports, though in the end, it tends not to matter to most people who watch it non-professionally since it usually boils down to whether it's trending up or down.

Right now, wage growth is probably a better metric for how people actually feel about the economy, since we're getting back to pre-recession employment numbers, but polling consistently shows folks aren't as happy about the economy as the unemployment numbers should indicate.

Plenty of folks are underemployed and have been for a long time, or working multiple jobs or crazy hours to make ends meet. There's a persistent, nagging feeling that people should be doing better, but aren't. Wage growth has been stagnant to declining when adjusted for inflation, and folks are starting to key into that, even if they don't quite grasp why it's happening yet.