Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Lol law is so fake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

WaveLength posted:

Lol law is so fake

They are finally letting me us the computer program that lets us give people advice.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

BigHead posted:

drat. I have never heard of jury selection lasting for an entire month. That's crazy.

We do individual voir dire. And it’s a murder trial. So we need 12 jurors, 4 alternates, and each side gets 18 preemptive challenges. And our judges are pretty lenient on challenges for cause.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Just found out my friend with less than 10 years at public defenders office is making 6 figures
God drat why did I believe the lie that theyre underpaid

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Assistant PD with 20+ years experience in florida is $72k. Florida has a search engine where you can punch in any state employee’s name and see what they’re paid, so I looked up a guy I know.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

Just found out my friend with less than 10 years at public defenders office is making 6 figures
God drat why did I believe the lie that theyre underpaid

$100k is not a lot of money for a lawyer with 5-10 years of experience unless they're practicing out in the sticks.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Vox Nihili posted:

$100k is not a lot of money for a lawyer with 5-10 years of experience unless they're practicing out in the sticks.

Lol at my career.

uberkeyzer
Jul 10, 2006

u did it again

ActusRhesus posted:

We do individual voir dire. And it’s a murder trial. So we need 12 jurors, 4 alternates, and each side gets 18 preemptive challenges. And our judges are pretty lenient on challenges for cause.

18 strikes?! Jesus. We get 10 per side and if there’s multiple defendants they have to split the 10.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Mr. Nice! posted:

Assistant PD with 20+ years experience in florida is $72k. Florida has a search engine where you can punch in any state employee’s name and see what they’re paid, so I looked up a guy I know.

The director of my former office makes 106k with 30+ years of experience. The top paid lawyers who are in their 60s-70s make 72-83k.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
This is from a number of pages ago, but my coworker that was being courted by a biglaw firm to lateral in as junior counsel explained the position like this:

-Get paid less than a 1st year associate (somewhere between 120k - 180k)
-Work the same as an associate (around 12hr days)
-Once you bill enough to cover your salary and overhead, then you are eligible for a bonus that could put you up to or over associate pay for the equivalent class year
-10 year track to partner

I'm no expert, but this sounds pretty horrible and I've been telling him not to take it. At least if they were offering an associate position he would get guaranteed salary increase.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

William Munny posted:

This is from a number of pages ago, but my coworker that was being courted by a biglaw firm to lateral in as junior counsel explained the position like this:

-Get paid less than a 1st year associate (somewhere between 120k - 180k)
-Work the same as an associate (around 12hr days)
-Once you bill enough to cover your salary and overhead, then you are eligible for a bonus that could put you up to or over associate pay for the equivalent class year
-10 year track to partner

I'm no expert, but this sounds pretty horrible and I've been telling him not to take it. At least if they were offering an associate position he would get guaranteed salary increase.

Sounds like they aren't 100% committing to her so she shouldn't either.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Starting salary in Colorado is 65K with guaranteed annual increases and scheduled promotions. Depending on where you practice after COLA increases 100k+ is pretty easy to break (Or so I hear)

Plus I loving shred sick pow every winter which is gnarlicious

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Vox Nihili posted:

That's surprising. These guys started as state appellate defenders then went to be public defenders after 3-5 years . Their friend at the state office with 10 years xp only makes 65k. Other people I know with 5+ years at the state make just over 60.
I guess the variance is the real surprise.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Really depends whether you are talking public service or private practice/in house. Public sector most places you are sub-100, with a few spots that pay well. Private space you’re back in bimodal land with a bunch making over 100 (the associates I know at firms with 5+ years experience wouldn’t really consider a job that paid less, and even low-100s wouldn’t get much of a second look), and then a chunk in the 60-80 range.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Why aren't you in AI?
Also I thought ya'll drive teslas because VW polos cost 250k usd.

AR, I sympathize. I was at work until 5:45 PM tonight, and it was terrible.

Should I be? I know how to maintain and sometimes fix a car, but I don't know if I'm qualified to hang around there. If you mean my embarrassment about driving a Miata, that's just my generalized insecurity in my manlyness that we all suffer from. Teslas cost around the same, so I don't know if that'd help. Unfortunately, I actually have a genuine need for a huge rear end four by four tractor of a car, but I really shouldn't use it to commute with so that's my bad.

ActusRhesus posted:

Again. Late to the party. But if it helps, fish, I sit on a grievance panel.

Appreciate it. I know it loving sucks having to deal with victims, esp. if they are from vulnerable groups at the outset. It just drains you emotionally in a way it's hard to harden yourself against. Look at it this way, if you find it hard at all, that means you very definitely are still a good and decent person inside.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

That's surprising. These guys started as state appellate defenders then went to be public defenders after 3-5 years . Their friend at the state office with 10 years xp only makes 65k. Other people I know with 5+ years at the state make just over 60.
I guess the variance is the real surprise.

A lot of public service attorneys are dramatically underpaid. Also the CoL plays a huge role. $65k is upper-middle class in some areas and a starvation wage in others. Salaries are all over the place and don't necessarily bear any relation to the real CoL in any particular area.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I’ve always wondered how this will work in the new/coming area. You always used to be able to pay less (and live on less) in certain areas, because it cost less to live there.

Now, it seems wherever there is cheap housing and cost of living, the Googlers and other IT/finance rich people come flooding in to live in the little bucolic town, incidentally making it unaffordable for anyone else.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

SlyFrog posted:

I’ve always wondered how this will work in the new/coming area. You always used to be able to pay less (and live on less) in certain areas, because it cost less to live there.

Now, it seems wherever there is cheap housing and cost of living, the Googlers and other IT/finance rich people come flooding in to live in the little bucolic town, incidentally making it unaffordable for anyone else.

Don't have that problem in the Midwest.

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
Years ago, you goon told me not to bother. I didn't listen, and now I passed the bar. Looking forward to taking appointments and pursuing my dream of being a criminal defense lawyer. Any tips for getting better pleas?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

furiouskoala posted:

Years ago, you goon told me not to bother. I didn't listen, and now I passed the bar. Looking forward to taking appointments and pursuing my dream of being a criminal defense lawyer. Any tips for getting better pleas?

Go to trial a lot, it doesn't matter if you win or lose, if you go all the time eventually they'll start giving you what you want. Don't bullshit the prosecutor or the judge ever.

Then a new prosecutor will come in and it starts all over again (and again and again).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nice piece of fish posted:

Should I be? I know how to maintain and sometimes fix a car, but I don't know if I'm qualified to hang around there.

Ai likes Miatas. A lot.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

Ai likes Miatas. A lot.

That's weird. The only thing I could use mine for was exploding the coolant system and killing myself on slippery roads. Wintertime on our rural roads is like, there are no straight lines - absolutely none - everything is covered in polished ice, and every road has been dynamited through mountain so there are vertical unyeilding cliff-faces to smash yourself into at every other bend. What you need is a four wheel drive car or at the very least front wheel drive, quality tires with weight above them (the engine), solid weight distribution and a reasonable seating height. The Miata has suicide rear wheel drive with no weight, low ride height, insane weight distribution and corners like a jackknifing semi on ice. I almost killed myself in that thing so many goddamned times.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tokelau All Star posted:

Go to trial a lot, it doesn't matter if you win or lose, if you go all the time eventually they'll start giving you what you want. Don't bullshit the prosecutor or the judge ever.

Then a new prosecutor will come in and it starts all over again (and again and again).

This was the advice I got.

Eventually they think "is this lineball poo poo we give here worth the hassle?'

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

furiouskoala posted:

We have a really great relationship with our PDs so there’s a lot of reasonable offers. Biggest things are maintain your credibility. Once you get caught lying once you’re “that lying douche.” Ditto being an rear end in a top hat. Zealous, sure. Be that. Absolutely. But being a complete dick and throwing out baseless prosecutorial misconduct claims left and right is not good for your long term negotiating power (not saying don’t report if you see real misconduct. Absolutely do. But I use as my litmus test “did you feel this was misconduct such that you also reported it to the bar?” If no, then don’t allege it in a pleading. Actually I apply this to all lawyers. Claims other attorneys are “unethical” really piss me off.) be competent. And don’t be afraid to try a case.

Oh. And if it’s minor poo poo, then have your client do things that show responsibility before you start talking. AA, anger management, paying restitution, getting a job etc.

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Oct 8, 2018

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Everything that's been said is on point but I'll add one thing.

If you're a PD or appointed, never ever put yourself in a position where your client has power over your decision making. Never lie to them, and if you aren't sure about something just tell them.

Also, do not trust your client to do the right thing on their own. Better to be pleasantly surprised sometimes versus constantly disappointed.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ActusRhesus posted:

We have a really great relationship with our PDs so there’s a lot of reasonable offers. Biggest things are maintain your credibility. Once you get caught lying once you’re “that lying douche.” Ditto being an rear end in a top hat. Zealous, sure. Be that. Absolutely. But being a complete dick and throwing out baseless prosecutorial misconduct claims left and right is not good for your long term negotiating power (not saying don’t report if you see real misconduct. Absolutely do. But I use as my litmus test “did you feel this was misconduct such that you also reported it to the bar?” If no, then don’t allege it in a pleading. Actually I apply this to all lawyers. Claims other attorneys are “unethical” really piss me off.) be competent. And don’t be afraid to try a case.

Oh. And if it’s minor poo poo, then have your client do things that show responsibility before you start talking. AA, anger management, paying restitution, getting a job etc.

Oh god yes. It hasn't happened too often so far, but gently caress me if this doesn't piss me off. We are actually disallowed to bring up ethical complaints against another attorney outside of an ethics procedure where we have to provide a written notification to that attorney citing the specific breach with reasons and only then after amicable resolution has been denied may we bring a bar complaint. It is especially disallowed to voice the complaint publicly, in trial or in mediation and it's hella not cool to use it as a tool against opposing counsel to get them to withdraw or hurt their case - without actual cause, mind. Does it still happen? You betcha.

gently caress the people who try to game with ethics rules. As if the goddamned job wasn't hard enough already.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

furiouskoala posted:

The advice so far is solid. Here's my take on it from the court's side of things.

Courthouses are small, even when they're big. Reputation matters and it travels. If you cheese off one judge, there's a high chance it will get relayed to the others.

As a law clerk, anything you do that I don't like? I rat you out to the judge. Make a snide remark about him, treat me rudely, etc. I make sure he knows about it, and I usually bring it up RIGHT BEFORE YOU WALK IN. ("Oh, this is the guy that said he doubted whether you'd ever been a defense attorney!")

Don't make me (or any other member of the court staff) do your job. That lousy court-appointed rate you're making is three times my hourly salary. So don't use it as an excuse to phone it in or file a motion with no research at all. ("In support of his motion, Defendant relies upon the Amendments to the US Constitution" IS NOT A BRIEF.) Especially don't turn in lovely jury instructions, that's the fastest way to earn my ire (though obviously dependent on how a given judge handles jury instructions).

If you can resolve a case, do it as early as possible. In my state, judges have performance measures and get yearly sitdowns with folks at the state level to review their stats. Resolving a case early helps with that and shows you're respectful of the Court's docket. If you consistently wait to plead until the last possible moment, that implies you aren't working your files or making contact with your clients (whether that's true or not).

Explain the rules on ex parte communication to your clients. Let them know they shouldn't be writing private letters to the judge. At best, it's a waste of time for everyone involved. At worst, they write a letter confessing to the crime and I make sure to pass it on to both attorneys.

Generally, be where you're supposed to be when you're supposed to be there. Call if you're running late. It's much easier to cut a break to someone who's consistently punctual and doesn't require special treatment. Once you get a rep as the person that needs everything moved, has a conflict with every date, wants to appear by phone for anything, calls to schedule and then has no availability... you're in a rough spot. You don't want to be that person.

The court is a machine. While you have a duty of zealous advocacy, you get a lot more leeway to DO THAT if you are perceived as someone who doesn't impede the functioning of the machine. (Our local culture, fortunately, doesn't see trials as obstructionist. I know that's not the case everywhere, which is unfortunate.)

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

Don't have that problem in the Midwest.

It will come. It keeps seeping further and further toward the middle. The Denvers, Chattanooga, etc.

Eventually, there will be Googlers who realize, "Hey, I can live like a king in Des Moines and retire in 10 years - I'll buy that 2,400 square foot house for $700,000 - what a bargain compared to California!

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 8, 2018

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Heck, my friend who's making 6 figs at the PDs office is moving to his wife's tiny (4 digit population) hometown in Michigan where they somehow both found high paying jobs (this makes no sense) and will immediately just buy out someone for a lake house. I'm sure this is happening more and more as the economy gets better (and will be even more of a disaster when it implodes in 5 weeks)

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

SlyFrog posted:

It will come. It keeps seeping further and further toward the middle. The Denvers, Chattanooga, etc.

Eventually, there will be Googlers who realize, "Hey, I can live like a king in Des Moines and retire in 10 years - I'll buy that 2,400 square foot house for $700,000 - what a bargain compared to California!

You laugh, but there's already a substantial housing crunch in Des Moines and various parts of Iowa. That's more to do with a slow to restart housing industry than growing population though. Luckily there aren't many "pretty" parts of this state, so at least we don't get that.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Nice piece of fish posted:

It was stupid too because I was just rushing to get to the store before they closed the beer sale (beer sale is illegal after six in the evening). I did not get any beer either. But the worst part? The absolute worst part was that I was driving a Miata.
Rural Scandanavia? Car rushing to get beer? I know you're not Finnish but now I'm picturing your life as a real world My Summer Car game only with law stuff.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

You laugh, but there's already a substantial housing crunch in Des Moines and various parts of Iowa. That's more to do with a slow to restart housing industry than growing population though. Luckily there aren't many "pretty" parts of this state, so at least we don't get that.

No, I'm really not laughing. I'm serious. And I've seen the articles on the growth in Des Moines. I live not that far from there, after all. :)

One of my long term plans was always to find some nice, underappreciated area, buy a nice house for a pittance, and just be done with a (relatively) small amount of saved money. I'm fortunate that I do not feel the need to live in a large city, so there were historically a lot of possibilities for me that other people would rule out (because they have this compelling need to live in New York, Los Angeles, places like that which I care nothing for). But as the years go by, it seems like everyone else has gotten the same idea, and so I've seen housing prices in places like Denver, Raleigh, etc. just boom from all of the out of state people who are looking for somewhere that it doesn't cost $1MM to buy a home.

Of course, that has the side effect of making it cost a huge amount to buy a home in the new place as well, at least when compared to 5-10 years ago.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Slyfrog if you're actually serious about that look into Midwestern college towns. My friend bought in Champaign , Illinois (home of flagship state college) in 09 and sold in 18, so perfectly timed the market , but by being in a place no one wants to stay he lost 20% of his initial price not even counting closing costs and such. If you aren't trying to find someplace picturesque you'll realize that there's just no demand even if it's a perfectly nice place

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

SlyFrog posted:

Good get the them the gently caress out of the cities

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Get a government job, live in a small town where you can buy a cheap and nice house, marry another lawyer with a government job, console yourself for not living in the big city by loving on a big pile of stress free money every night. That's my advice

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Alaemon posted:

As a law clerk, anything you do that I don't like? I rat you out to the judge. Make a snide remark about him, treat me rudely, etc. I make sure he knows about it, and I usually bring it up RIGHT BEFORE YOU WALK IN. ("Oh, this is the guy that said he doubted whether you'd ever been a defense attorney!")
first HDD91, then Jon Jones, now Ale Man

all my friends turn out to be snitches

Soothing Vapors fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 8, 2018

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Yuns posted:

Rural Scandanavia? Car rushing to get beer? I know you're not Finnish but now I'm picturing your life as a real world My Summer Car game only with law stuff.

Googled this, now I know two things: you are absolutely correct and I need to buy that game.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

terrorist ambulance posted:

Get a government job, live in a small town where you can buy a cheap and nice house, marry another lawyer with a government job, console yourself for not living in the big city by loving on a big pile of stress free money every night. That's my advice

Oh god christ what the gently caress is wrong with you.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Alaemon posted:

In my state, judges have performance measures and get yearly sitdowns with folks at the state level to review their stats.

wtf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

Slyfrog if you're actually serious about that look into Midwestern college towns. My friend bought in Champaign , Illinois (home of flagship state college) in 09 and sold in 18, so perfectly timed the market , but by being in a place no one wants to stay he lost 20% of his initial price not even counting closing costs and such. If you aren't trying to find someplace picturesque you'll realize that there's just no demand even if it's a perfectly nice place

It actually is something I'm serious about. Two things stopping me are: (I) even though I feel friendless where I live now, I do know some people, and as socially inept as I am, can't imagine making any friends in a completely new place; and (II) girlfriend has a home and job here, so I can't just exactly say "move."

SlyFrog fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 8, 2018