Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

If chins could kill....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
he looks like Heavy Weapons Guy

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Alhazred posted:

And we have the olympic torch because Hitler thought it would be cool.

Just to clarify: the torch relay was introduced in 1936, the Olympic flame was lit for the first time in 1928.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

duckmaster posted:

This is the Ipswich Man whose skeleton was discovered in an archeological dig in a cemetery in Ipswich, about 75 miles north east of London. He was born between 1190 and 1300 in Tunis in North Africa and died between 1258 and 1300. Scientists estimate he would have lived in Britain (or somewhere with a similar climate at least) for approx 10 years before his death.

His most likely cause of death was a spinal abcess which would have left him essentially invalid. The fact that he appeared to have had this condition for several years before his death suggests he was cared for, and his graves position in the cemetery strongly suggests he wasn't a poor man or a slave (the fact that he was buried in the cemetery at all almost certainly shows he was a Christian).

Nine skeletons of sub-Saharan origin were also found during the digs but there isn't as much information about them.

They were Muslim pilgrims who were told that Ipswich was just a palindrome for Mecca.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

InediblePenguin posted:

he looks like Heavy Weapons Guy

Palomides could kick a lot of rear end.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

*palidomides

**palanamodeles

***also just released news: found like a hundred graves near Roskilde in Denmark, circa year 200-ish I think? but the cool thing is that a bunch of them are status graves with pearls & gold & stuff. They're still analysing, but the pearls are from the black sea so that's a trade route, and also there's another cemetery nearby but it's all poor people so even then they hadn't learnt to eat the rich. oh one more thing, some of the graves were like covered in rocks. Apparently not like the usual menhir/passage tomb but as one of the danish archaeologists who is used to weird danish graves said "almost like she didn't want her to rise up and walk again"

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 23:58 on Oct 6, 2018

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

duckmaster posted:

He was born between 1190 and 1300 in Tunis in North Africa and died between 1258 and 1300.

those figures dont add up

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Former DILF posted:

Look he's just a very old looking 3 month old.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Former DILF posted:

I assume that carbon dating gives approximate figures so there's quite a bit of overlap. Presumably he was born before he died. I also assume that carbon dating to find out when someone died is going to be easier than working out when they were born but I'm no expert.

Annoyingly the website doesn't say his estimated age at death which would be helpful here :saddowns:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
PYF Historical Fun Fact: Presumably he was born before he died

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Plastik posted:

PYF Historical Fun Fact: Presumably he was born before he died

that doesnt add up

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Krankenstyle posted:

*palidomides

**palanamodeles

***also just released news: found like a hundred graves near Roskilde in Denmark, circa year 200-ish I think? but the cool thing is that a bunch of them are status graves with pearls & gold & stuff. They're still analysing, but the pearls are from the black sea so that's a trade route, and also there's another cemetery nearby but it's all poor people so even then they hadn't learnt to eat the rich. oh one more thing, some of the graves were like covered in rocks. Apparently not like the usual menhir/passage tomb but as one of the danish archaeologists who is used to weird danish graves said "almost like she didn't want her to rise up and walk again"

This is pretty common actually, throughout Europe there are tons of graves covered with rocks or where the bodies in there are tied up/pinned down by a stake through the chest or other forms of binding. Folk belief in vengeful undead rising from their graves to haunt you was really widespread for millennia and only relatively recently disappeared/got replaced by the belief in incorporeal ghosts. Check out the Gjenganger for a specific Danish context or the Wiedergänger for the various forms this superstition could take throughout Europe.

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

System Metternich posted:

This is pretty common actually, throughout Europe there are tons of graves covered with rocks or where the bodies in there are tied up/pinned down by a stake through the chest or other forms of binding. Folk belief in vengeful undead rising from their graves to haunt you was really widespread for millennia and only relatively recently disappeared/got replaced by the belief in incorporeal ghosts. Check out the Gjenganger for a specific Danish context or the Wiedergänger for the various forms this superstition could take throughout Europe.

I think the point is that these graves are ~400 years older than the Viking age cited in those articles. It’s no surprise that people in Scandinavia had beliefs before the Viking age, but it’s nice to have a better idea of what those were.

NFX has a new favorite as of 22:31 on Oct 7, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeh, what NFX said.

For a specific Danish context though, you should think more on drowned sailors who will ride the back of anyone walking near the beach. The way to stop them is to show some silver, or if you don't have silver, a pair of scissors. This can mislead the drowned sailor, he will get off your back and sit down and wait.

But you gotta come back & bury him the next day, or he might ride your loved one's back.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Oh yeah, now I see what you mean! Yeah, the high age is really fascinating. This seems to be a really ancient belief, I know of bodies preserved in northern German bogs that show signs of anti-Wiedergänger protective measures that date back well over 2,000 years. I didn’t know about the scissors before, do you know why that would irritate the zombie sailors?

Apparently they found protective spells in Scandinavia that ordered the dead to remain in the grave, written on the inner sides of coffins, and now I can’t stop imagining a Wiedergänger awakening, reading what basically amounts to a court order in front of him and going "Well, that sucks" :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

re: scissors, I think they're just magic? :shrug: There were other beliefs involving them: For example if your nets aren't catching enough fish, you should touch each weight-rock with a scissor... It's called ...-stål (...-steel). Fiskestål, garnstål, etc.

btw, the drowned sailors are called strandvaskere, beach-washers. It's extremely important to bury them as fast as possible, even if there's no priest around. Dig into a dune and bury them, etch a found rock for a headstone. If they don't get buried, they ride people as above.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

When Alexander the Great was a boy, he threw two handfuls of incense into an altar fire for sacrifice, when incense was worth its weight in gold then. His tutor scolded him and said that when he conqures the spice bearing regions, then he can throw away all the incense he likes. After Alexander captured Gaza, he shipped 18 tons of incense to his tutor, enough to make him a millionaire many times over. His point was not to show off his success, but that one should never be stingy with the gods. It also revealed the fact that Alexander never forgot to repay anyone who ever slighted him.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It also showed that he was a petty motherfucker

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I hope someday someone owns me by giving millions of dollars worth of stuff

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
personally, i would be fine with it if some petty motherfucker decided to make me rich in an ironic fashion

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

personally, i would be fine with it if some petty motherfucker decided to make me rich in an ironic fashion

*jeff bezos drops shipping container of susan b. anthony coins on you*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Making sure to return favours in bombastic fashion is a pretty good way to secure loyalty as a bronze age ruler, I bet.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

This is Franca Viola, a woman who was born in rural Sicily in 1948 as the daughter of two farmers. When she was 15, she got engaged with Filippo Melodia, the nephew of a powerful Mafia boss whose clan dominated the area. Melodia was at the time eight years older than her. Franca's father didn't like it, though, and when Melodia got arrested for theft, he demanded that she break off the engagement, which she did. Melodia left the country and spent some time in Germany, but when he returned to Sicily in late 1964, he wanted to resume his relationship with Franca who in the meantime had started dating another man. When she wouldn't comply, Melodia and his goons started to put a lot of pressure on the Viola family, stalking her and her family, threatening her boyfriend with bodily harm and reportedly even burning down one of their vineyards.

Shortly after Christmasn 1965, Melodia and twelve armed thugs entered the Viola family home, beat down her mother and kidnapped Franca together with her eight-year old brother who had tried to protect his sister by clinging to her legs. They brought the two to the house of Melodia's sister. Franca's brother got released shortly afterwards, while she was forced to remain there. Melodia raped the girl repeatedly in order to force her to marry him. At the time, Italian law still stipulated that rapists could avoid punishment by marrying their victims. The theoretical intention of this ancient law was to protect the "honour" of the victim, who otherwise would have been recognised by society as "defiled" and "dishonoured", and there had been countless cases throughout the centuries where men forced women to marry them by rape.

Italian penal code of 1931, Art. 544 posted:

Per i delitti preveduti dal capo primo (…), il matrimonio, che l’autore del reato contragga con la persona offesa, estingue il reato, anche riguardo a coloro che sono concorsi nel reato medesimo; e, se vi è stata condanna, ne cessano l’esecuzione e gli effetti penali.

For the crimes provided for by the first chapter (...), marriage, which the perpetrator of the crime contracts with the injured party, extinguishes the crime, also with regard to those who are involved in the crime itself; and, if there has been a conviction, the enforcement of the punishment and all other effects of the crime cease.

On January 1st, 1966, Melodia organised a meeting with Franca's parents in order to negotiate her release and the subsequent wedding. Her parents agreed to the meeting, but only to find out where their daughter was held. Shortly after the meeting, Franca was rescued by the police and Melodia was arrested. Undaunted, he again reached out to his victim and offered her a "Matrimonio riparatore" or "reparatory marriage" which would both get him out of jail and restore Franca's honour. But then, one thing happened which Melodia hadn't expected at all:

Franca refused.

This was completely unexpected, because social pressure and cultural mores especially in southern Italy had led many victims of rape to marry their tormentors. Franca might not have been the first woman to refuse, but she definitely was the one whose story received the most attention by the public. Forced abductions that led to marriage were no rarity in Sicilian society at the time, and sometimes they were in fact even staged by a young couple whose parents didn't approve of them marrying - by publicly "abducting" the bride and then "raping" her, they had the opportunity to get married even without parental consent, while also maintaining the bride's honour. Melodia's abduction differed from those precedents, mainly in the excessive use of violence during the kidnapping itself, but also because of Melodia's well-known mafia ties as well as the refusal of Franca's parents to settle the matter quietly and privately, immediately turning to the police instead. The case also fell squarely in a time of great societal change in Italy. Withing the previous ten years or so, per-capita income had nearly tripled, cities were growing at a rapid pace, and millions of southerners had migrated into the north, where employment possibilities were infinitely better than in the still extremely rural south. This opened up Italy's south to the wider European world while also confronting the nation altogether with the fact that its northern and southern halves were living in drastically different worlds, and that living in the glittering and quickly growing metropoles of Turin, Milan or Florence was radically different from the lifestyle exhibited by the often extremely poor peasantry of Sicily, Calabria or Sardinia. This was especially true with regards to matters of gender and sexuality, where attitudes between the regions probably differed the most. While northern feminists made great progress in their quest for women's liberation (one of their most important milestones was the legalisation of divorce in 1970), southern Italy fell far behind in that development and therefore received a lot of scrutiny by Italian intellectuals concerned about the "backwardness" or even "barbarity" of their southern compatriots. These criticisms, while in many cases absolutely justified, were especially pronounced during the 1960s and in some cases even crossed the border to open racism. While feminist, left-wing and progressive Catholic groups in the larger cities started to rally behind Franca's cause and elevated her into a symbol of courage, feminism and modernity (without ever actually asking her about her own thoughts and feelings, interestingly), using it as a springing board to demand the abolition of Article 544, life got hard for the Viola family after her refusal. The other villagers shunned them, her father left his job and for a while they even had to be supplied with police protection.

Filippo Melodia, sometime during 1966

It was during this time of high tension between the north and the south as well as the quick intrusion of "modernity" into the south, that the trial of Filippo Melodia took place in the province capital of Trapani. National media gathered in great numbers in the small port city to broadcast news directly from the courtroom into living rooms all over the country. Only three years earlier, another trial in Sicily concerning a crime of honour had garnered similar attention: A certain Gaetano Furnari had murdered his daughter's lover and was sentenced to only three years, as the court accepted that his main motivation was a desire to protect his daughter's (and by extension his own) honour. In the trial in Trapani, Melodia's defence lawyers tried to construct the case as a story of tragic, "forbidden" love. According to their version of the events, Melodia was hopelessly in love with a girl who loved him back, but the refusal of her parents meant that the only recourse available to them was to stage a kidnapping and rape in order to use Article 544 as a direct way to marriage. Meanwhile, national media depicted the trial's main persons only in the broadest of strokes: Franca Viola, the pure, madonna-like woman who suffered through a terrible ordeal with her dignity fully intact; her father Bernardo Viola as an upstanding representative of modern values (which was seen as synonymous with "northern values" by many) in backwards Sicilian society; and finally Filippo Melodia, the barbaric and almost ape-like mafioso only caring about his honour in an unintelligible Sicilian drawl.

Fortunately, Melodia's defence didn't hold, at least not fully. The prosecution demanded 22 years of jail, but the court recognised the Sicilian custom of honour-driven crime as one aspect of his motivation and only sentenced him to eleven years (which got later shortened to ten). Five of his twelve accomplices got acquitted, while the other seven received relatively short sentences. Melodia himself got released in 1976 and was murdered two years later in Modena, probably by rival mafia clan members.

Franca Viola married a childhood friend in 1968. Italy's president sent them wedding gifts, and they were received by Pope Paul VI for a private audience, but other than that Franca and her family chose to avoid all further attention. Intellectuals and artists continued to uphold her as a symbol of female liberation and the arrival of modernity in the south, accompanied by numerous film and book adaptations. In 1981, Article 544 was finally removed from the books. A number of recent studies looked at her story as a good example of the conflicts about gender, sexuality, conceptions of modernity and even race that marked Italian history post-WW2.

Franca Viola continues to live in her hometown of Alcamo, together with her husband and their two children.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ChocNitty posted:

When Alexander the Great was a boy, he threw two handfuls of incense into an altar fire for sacrifice, when incense was worth its weight in gold then. His tutor scolded him and said that when he conqures the spice bearing regions, then he can throw away all the incense he likes. After Alexander captured Gaza, he shipped 18 tons of incense to his tutor, enough to make him a millionaire many times over.

...and then everyone stood up and clapped?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

ChocNitty posted:

His tutor scolded him and said that when he conqures the spice bearing regions, then he can throw away all the incense he likes.

Was this Aristotle or another tutor?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

Was this Aristotle or another tutor?

It was Diogenes (it wasn't but it would have been really funny because making Diogenes rich would be the perfect way tot piss him off).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sweevo posted:

...and then everyone stood up and clapped?

It's hard to tell. The guy did lead the conquest of a huge chunk of the world before he was 20 or something. If he ordered it, it coulda been done.

Alhazred posted:

It was Diogenes (it wasn't but it would have been really funny because making Diogenes rich would be the perfect way tot piss him off).

The ideal irony woulda been to burn it all in one go.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

System Metternich posted:

Harrowing history

Yowza. That's some heavy poo poo.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Fascinating. Thanks for the effort post. It's amazing how recently some odious laws were on the books. And some that continue to be.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

slothrop posted:

It's amazing how recently some odious laws were on the books. And some that continue to be.

The Alabama state constitution still banned interracial marriage until 2000, and the vote to repeal it only passed by 59%.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sweevo posted:

The Alabama state constitution still banned interracial marriage until 2000, and the vote to repeal it only passed by 59%.

Meaning 59% to 41% or 79.5% to 20.5%?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

The Washington Post posted:

Back in 2000, Alabama became the last state in the country to overturn its ban on interracial marriage. And despite more than three decades having passed since the Supreme Court ruled such laws unconstitutional (rendering such bans effectively moot), more than 40 percent of Alabamians still voted against overturning it.

Source which was just the first useful result I saw in Google.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

Is there a country where votes are measured the second way?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sweevo posted:

I mean, what the state constitution had to say didn’t really matter because of loving v Virginia (which was only 60ish years ago) and the supremacy clause.

Buuuut bad news...

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

slothrop posted:

Fascinating. Thanks for the effort post. It's amazing how recently some odious laws were on the books. And some that continue to be.

So-called "Marry-your-rapist laws" are still on the books in at least 17 countries (probably more), including Russia, Greece, Iraq and Bolivia. In Florida you used to be able to avoid going to jail for impregnating a minor by marrying her. This law was only removed three months ago after intense lobbying by Sherry Johnson, a Floridian who was forced to marry her church's deacon who had raped and impregnated her at age 10 in 1970 (:stonk:)

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I guess that's one way to disincentivize loving altar boys.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is there a country where votes are measured the second way?

The same two‐candidate race can be described as "yea leading with sixty percent of the vote" and "yea leading by twenty percentage points".

The phrasing "passed by 59%" implies the latter*, but that seemed high even for Alabama.

* Technically if were a margin of fifty‐nine percent, yea would have 61.4% of the vote to nay's 38.6% (yea_total = 159% * nay_total), but almost no one uses percentages like that in a casual conversation about a vote.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Hello there! Are you looking for adventure? Excitement? The chance to die for your country, or to at least make the other bastard die for his?

If you said yes to any of these questions, the ALLIES may be the choice for you! Now—right now!—the Allied thread of the ongoing Combat Mission: Final Blitzkrieg LP is looking for dedicated patriots and/or nonchalant well-wishers to help fill command positions.

What command positions, you may ask? Well, we can’t say too much here—German spies are everywhere! But we’re currently offering prime officer commissions in some of the following branches:

The Infantry!

The Armor!

The Artillery!

The Engineers!

Even the fine flyboys of the Air Corps may be recruiting!

So don’t delay! Visit the Allied Thread and sign up today!

FiftyFour
Jan 26, 2006
Tosspot
The flipside, from the Hanoi Women's museum. "Nixon owes us a debt of blood"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Researchers recently dug out the remains of a medieval latrine in the northern German city of Lübeck. Even a good seven centuries after being demolished, the pits beneath them were still filled to the brim with feces and also a great bunch of things people accidentally or purposefully dropped in there. They also found millions of parasite eggs, and many of them still contained DNA of their former hosts. And here's the kicker: One DNA set of a medieval man who onced took a poo poo in Lübeck fits perfectly to the DNA set found in the remains of a medieval latrine in Bristol! So at least 700 years afterwards, people were able to reconstruct where a specific person had been travelling by comparing where he took a poo poo :v:

The dig site

Closer look at one of the dug up privies. Check out the double seating!

The pits below the toilets ran several metres deep

This wallet was also found down there. Maybe a merchant had to drop trou so quickly in order to avoid a catastrophe that his wallet got loose and fell down?