Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is the episode not viewable on BBC America until the next day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

howe_sam posted:

The last name revealed made me yell.
For me, it was the one second to the end. In a historical, no less!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Harlock posted:

Is the episode not viewable on BBC America until the next day?

BBCA has shown it four times (if not more) already today

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
So I really enjoyed that entrance. Jodie's already won me over (but drat, her companion kill count is already at 1.) I was also floored by the cinematics for maybe the first time in all of Doctor Who.

Not a fan of the new theme though.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Seriously, this is the best Doctor Who has ever looked. Absolutely gorgeous.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don’t know if it was my feed but BBCA looked kind of soft/blurry which I wouldn’t mind for old school overlit Who but this looks so much better I want 4K HDR.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

HD DAD posted:

Seriously, this is the best Doctor Who has ever looked. Absolutely gorgeous.

Good thing I'll be watching most of the series on ABC's glorious iView!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

evenworse username posted:

I'm strangely fixated on the 'Upper Canada Village' pennant that was on the wall in the workshop. It seems a strangely specific and out of place piece of detail.

I did a double-take at this... it's a real attraction here in Ontario, set up to be a recreation of colonial-era living.

Upper Canada Village tweeted about being unaware of it ahead of time, so it's just a weird and random set dressing choice!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope all the dumb nerds are still mad about a Lady Doctor because this was really good.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

I hope all the dumb nerds are still mad about a Lady Doctor because this was really good.

I hope they watched the episode preparing to hate-watch the series and write angry blogs and were instead won over by Jodie Whitaker's charm and changed their worldview.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Bicyclops posted:

I hope they watched the episode preparing to hate-watch the series and write angry blogs and were instead won over by Jodie Whitaker's charm and changed their worldview.
We like to dream big, don't we?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Peeny Cheez posted:

We like to dream big, don't we?

yeah I eagerly anticipate nerds tripping over themselves to exaggerate the smallest poo poo and/or make up flaws wholesale to justify their conclusions about DOCTOR WOMAN, BAD DOCTOR

edit: they're going to keep watching, just don't expect them to admit to liking it

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Bicyclops posted:

Speaking of, I went to check on how Gallifrey Base is reacting to this episode and they've set their forums to private. :v: Anyone with an account want to see what the general reaction over there is?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I really enjoyed seeing the Doctor literally get her clothes from an op shop after my initial description of the new outfit last year was "space op shopper." Though she definitely rocked Capaldi's old kit, too.

Really like what they've set up so far. Jodie is great as the Doctor, the companions feel reasonably fleshed out and play well off each other, and even if it does take us a little bit to get back to the TARDIS it looks like we're still set to see a good variety of adventures in space/time.

Chokes McGee posted:

One thing: Thirteen said she had family but they're gone. What happened to Susan :ohdear:

According to Big Finish, she went back to Gallifrey to serve in the Time War despite the Eighth Doctor's best attempts to prevent the call to arms from reaching her. They haven't followed up yet beyond that.

When the Doctor was talking about her family like that, I almost anticipated a callback to the Trought's line about them "sleeping in my memory" from Tomb, but that probably would've been terribly wanky.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Whittaker was fine. The story, though, I was not a fan of. I had to take a break mid-episode to take a nap and clear my head. Like, it wasn't BAD, it was just boring to me. It didn't feel like Doctor Who for large swaths.

:smith:

Also: "Every episode is standalone." (first episode ends with the cast in deep space)

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

I'm never a big fan of "the TARDIS is lost/destroyed forever" as a plot for more than a single episode, because we know that eventually they are going to move past it, and it's one of the few things that feels like someone is meddling with the core of the show.

The Doctor and/or their companions being separated from the TARDIS is like the core plot driver of the show, or at least it used to be anyway.

I was a little worried at the beginning because the first scenes with Whittaker felt to me like she was playing kind of a generic amalgam of the other new-Who Doctors. She wasn't instantly a new persona the way Matt Smith was in The Eleventh Hour. But I waited it out, and I was sold by her moral outrage in the final confrontation. Her "completely obscene" bit and the aggressive way she disposed of the bad guy had echoes for me of T. Baker and Eccleston-- my two favorite Doctors-- and I think everything is gelling together into a persona I'm going to like. I'm pretty hyped for the rest of the season.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I am actually hoping that they'll be TARDISless for a few eps, or even the whole season. Simply because it gives them an excuse to travel with the Doctor while trying to get home, like we had in the beginning of the show, with Tegan, or even with Lucie Miller. The idea that the companions can't get home and the Doctor is trying to get them home but has no control over where they'll end up this week is so much better than "well I have perfect control over the TARDIS, how about we meet on weekends and have adventures."

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Astroman posted:

I am actually hoping that they'll be TARDISless for a few eps, or even the whole season. Simply because it gives them an excuse to travel with the Doctor while trying to get home, like we had in the beginning of the show, with Tegan, or even with Lucie Miller. The idea that the companions can't get home and the Doctor is trying to get them home but has no control over where they'll end up this week is so much better than "well I have perfect control over the TARDIS, how about we meet on weekends and have adventures."

Yeah, I'm all for "oops, we got caught up in some stuff, but my scanner says the TARDIS is this way so if we just take this teleporter/jump this ship I can get you... oops! we got caught up in some stuff, but..." for a while. I'm happy for a "quest for the TARDIS" arc to take a while as long as we're getting a variety of settings and stories between it.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Good thing I'll be watching most of the series on ABC's glorious iView!

It still looked nice at 576p :sigh: What with it being on Monday evenings now and not being able to watch it until after work anyway I may as well have waited until the FTA broadcast. Anyway I enjoyed it, new Doctor is fun, it was pleasant to look at and wonderful to listen to, but Yas seems fairly generic so far, and the deaths seemed a bit much.

I wonder how (and where) everyone else at the funeral thinks she died. And maybe I'm overthinking but considering an electrical shock killed Grace, even if just indirectly from the fall, it seems a bit cruel to give the battery and jumper cables to her grieving partner a few scenes later.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, this is my first proper episode of Doctor Who, not counting the Rifftrax Live for The Five Doctors, and I really liked it! Except for killing off Grace at the end, she was my favorite amongst the companions. Still, count me interested.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I hoped Grace would live but the BBC image for the series only had three companions so...

This is my return to Doctor Who after quite a while, I think the last episode I saw was Blink. When she poked her nose and passed out, then that glowing light drifted off, is that some Doctor plot element thing that I should know about?

E: specifically the glowing orb. I can't tell if that's a "remember this, it'll be important later" or just some pretty special effects.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 8, 2018

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bruceski posted:

This is my return to Doctor Who after quite a while, I think the last episode I saw was Blink. When she poked her nose and passed out, then that glowing light drifted off, is that some Doctor plot element thing that I should know about?

The nose thing was just a quirky bit of "the Doctor has weird senses and can read things about the atmosphere/themselves that regular people can't" that pops up from time to time.

The glowing and golden breath was just "she's resting and still early into the actual process of regeneration so she isn't entirely all together and herself yet" like you you'd have seen in The Christmas Invasion (and later kind of showed up in Deep Breath)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Grace's death felt like incredibly contrived and arbitrary, but other than that I liked the episode.

I kept thinking of Tim Shaw from Dental Demtel, which made the mockery work even better.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah I'm digging the new look so far. Waiting on a post-regen episode as the doctors are always a bit loopy fresh out of the package.

Loved the little sting of upcoming actors and it's a good diverse mix to stick it to the critics.
And the credit timetunnel looks retro, hope the new titles are trippy.

However my mate completely lost it. :(

As in a decades old Whovian who makes amazing replica props and costumes decides to sell/junk everything he has because he sees the show as ruined from bad writing and acting...

He is pissed at the showrunner for ruining what he loves... Like somehow the bad taste infects all the old Who??

I suspect something deeper is afoot and I've encouraged him to seek professional help as his actions are not rational, for the sake of his family and reminded him how Capaldi burnt his fan stuff, only to regret it later.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus, if he doesn't like the show anymore, he could have just sold his stuff or given it to a kid or something. loving hell.

Edit: Also I keep laughing every time I remember that the name Tim Shaw stuck and how much it pissed off the bad guy that she was getting his name wrong :allears:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I've never heard the words 'the question is' as many times in an hour. Also the music really leaned, constantly, on the ticking clock percussion thing.

I think I consume media weirdly now. I don't get invested, I just notice patterns.

Anyway, I thought that took ages to do very little. The tooth thing was nicely gruesome although a bit strange. New doc is too Tennant-y for my tastes, but that may just be the writing/regeneration episode thing. I do like that there's a clear warmth and relatively down to earth likeableness to her though, we've not really had that since Eight

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Cojawfee posted:

I did see a Facebook comment last night night about how he's (of course it was a he) not watching any more because the Doctor has to be male. I'm going to extrapolate that he only sees men as worthy of respect or something.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

How many of the names at the end were recognisable to a UK native audience? Not being from the UK (and not watching much British TV these days) I couldn't really tell.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How many of the names at the end were recognisable to a UK native audience? Not being from the UK (and not watching much British TV these days) I couldn't really tell.

I don't watch much telly but I recognised maybe three. As such it seemed utterly bizarre (and my much more telly watching gf also found it baffling)

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

WebDog posted:

As in a decades old Whovian who makes amazing replica props and costumes decides to sell/junk everything he has because he sees the show as ruined from bad writing and acting...
He persisted seasons past the episode where one of the characters ends up in a relationship with a woman who was turned into a face on a paving and makes some seriously gross implications about their love life and this is what ruined the show with bad writing?

Now maybe I'm way off here, but I think your mate may be just a wee bit of a butthole.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think Alan Cumming and Art Malik are probably the biggest names.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Peeny Cheez posted:

He persisted seasons past the episode where one of the characters ends up in a relationship with a woman who was turned into a face on a paving and makes some seriously gross implications about their love life and this is what ruined the show with bad writing?

Now maybe I'm way off here, but I think your mate may be just a wee bit of a butthole.

Seriously. I wasn't enamored of RTD's run on the series (some good moments here and there, to be sure, but also a lot of cringy stuff like the aforementioned blowjob slab), and Moffat's run made me give up on the revived series entirely (the exceptions being Night/Day of the Doctor, which I did enjoy). Whereas Whittaker and Chibnall have, so far, gotten my interest piqued, and I'm really looking forward to seeing where the Doctor and friends go to next.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Even not knowing a good majority of the actors it was trying to showcase, it was still a nice sample of "here is the type of characters/visual settings you're going to see for the rest of the year" without getting into showing too much actual footage from the episodes so after shrugging a bit I also kind of appreciated it despite it not being the most engaging teaser

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

Plus Lee Mack, but......that’s not exactly a positive

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't heard from Art Malik in years.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well, this was incomparably better than the last time I watched this show (2011). Still a bit too much of the dumb wacky alien stuff (sticking her finger up her nose to tell how long until she faints), still got the magic wand (which was bad in the original show and should never have been brought back) and still a bit too much reliance on deus ex machina, but on the other hand everything else about it was much better. Especially the pacing. It didn't feel like they were just running around like idiots for no reason until it was time for the episode to end. They had stuff to do and reasons for doing it.

Stabbatical posted:

The Doctor was still The Doctor but the focus of the story really feels like it has shifted back to 'The Doctor as traveller' rather than 'The Doctor as the most important being ever'. Low key and effective.
I hope the alien not reacting to her identity at all is an indication that that's the way they're going. The Doctor being this legendary figure across time and space was super dumb and I hated it.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Davros1 posted:

I seriously hope that the search isn't going to be the story arc for the season

I mean, I'm kind of on board with a whole season built around the Doctor clawing her way back to her Tardis through all sorts of obstacles. Access to a Time Machine and all the tech inside it is a huge asset, I can't even count how many times it was integral to solving the big problem of the episode. If you told me it was half the time I'd believe you.

We all want to see the new Tardis set and see her go off on wild adventures, but a more serialized season that has her and the poor humans transported away with her getting into all kinds of scrapes, with the Doctor relying even more on scavenged tech than usual (though to be fair they've done that a lot in the past too) and the companions all having to step up with less of a safety net than usual seems like a fun idea on paper.

Then after a big ol chase across the universe she finally gets back in the Tardis in the finale? I mean that's something I can't recall Who ever doing before and I'd admire them taking that departure from the norm.

With all that said, I fully expect the Doctor to have that Tardis back at the end of the next episode, and at the absolute most after four episodes, but I'm hoping they go the riskier route just for the hell of it.

I also like that the big ol' fall got resolved about how I expected, with the Doctor no-selling it and still all hyped up on regeneration juice so sure why not, but I really like going right from that to them all floating at a seemingly random point in space and for there to absolutely be no reason at all for them to live. If they don't do Tardis search 2018, then I'd really get a kick out of them breaking the whole "Doctor doesn't show up to save herself" rule. You know, the one that would end every conflict on the show with the Doctor just swooping in on herself all the time with the perfect solution when trouble's afoot. Just have 13 show up in the Tardis to save herself, apologize that she had to do it and act all embarrassed about how she knew she was totally 100% going to die for real if she didn't go out of her way to travel back and save herself after she found the Tardis again.

Hell best of both worlds, have her do that, then drop her past self (our present Doctor) wherever she had intended to go while following the signal (maybe she just messed up the transport), and tell her she still has to find the Tardis to avoid messing up time even more. Work in some of the fun "Doctor talks to Doctor" mojo that we get in the crossover specials where different versions of the Doctor are meeting up, tease the fans with a quick minute or two in the new Tardis that doesn't really linger on the set or do more than a few quick wide or god shots, it'd be a lot of fun. I get a big fat smile on my face just thinking about that, and goddamn will I be sad when that's not a scene they do because it sounds so drat SWEET :argh:.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
So why did the Doctor get all pissy at that guy for kicking Tim off the crane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
Really liked that! New vibe; good fun.

The companions seem great and I’m pleased that 13 is showing some practical ‘Doctoring’ on-screen.

One thing that rubbed me the wrong way was the moment Karl kicks Tim Shaw off the crane. The Doctor says, “You had no right to do that.” when:

a) Yes, yes he did - he was being treated as a worthless object and was scared out of his mind and...

b) She’d already detonated five bombs in Tim’s head.

Seemed a bit like they shoehorned in a ‘Doctor strongly disapproves if any killing’ for the sake of it.

Edit: Glad I’m not the only one!

Robert J. Omb fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Oct 8, 2018